Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really wish I had sprung for the hardcovers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mordiceius posted:

It is mentioned that he has been Godking for 50 years, but physically and mentally is basically a sheltered 21 year old. So yeah, he looks act acts early 20s, but he is still 50+ years old.

Been a while since I read it but IIRC he didn't even act like a teenager to me, like a very very sheltered kid is how I remember it. He didn't even know what was going on with Siri.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Been a while since I read it but IIRC he didn't even act like a teenager to me, like a very very sheltered kid is how I remember it. He didn't even know what was going on with Siri.

Honestly, I feel like the Siri/Susebron parts of Warbreaker are the weakest. I wonder how much of that is just due to the fact that the characters are basically completely separated from majority of the plot. They don't really do much and majority of their actions only further the plots of others.

Vivenna and Vasher both move around the city and through various circles. Even Lightsong is very proactive. Siri and Susebron, by the nature of their situation, mainly just sit around and do nothing while the plot happens around them.

Also, maybe this is me overthinking it, but I feel like you could boil Siri's arc down to "17 year old free spirit girl just needs to get married and pregnant to become a composed woman." Which feels very Mormon.

The thing is - I really enjoyed Warbreaker. Lightsong is one of my top three Sanderson characters. I also think the book suffers from "Brandon is afraid of/confused by human sexuality" syndrome.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

Which feels very Mormon.[/spoiler]

... I also think the book suffers from "Brandon is afraid of/confused by human sexuality" syndrome.

Brandon 14 years ago was still very much in his Mormon shell, writing and interacting with his growing readership have really helped him grow beyond that as a person.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Finally getting around to Tress, and there is one Cosmere aware tidbit that bothers me - in this

“And if I’m the captain, then I’m going to go claim Crow’s bed. Don’t wake me up unless Death himself has shown up, nails in his eyes.

Which bothers me because

It implies that Marsh is somehow such a universal Death figure at this point that he's part of the folklore for a backwater girl on an entirely different planet

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

M_Gargantua posted:

Finally getting around to Tress, and there is one Cosmere aware tidbit that bothers me - in this

“And if I’m the captain, then I’m going to go claim Crow’s bed. Don’t wake me up unless Death himself has shown up, nails in his eyes.

Which bothers me because

It implies that Marsh is somehow such a universal Death figure at this point that he's part of the folklore for a backwater girl on an entirely different planet

My current head canon for this is: a big war/event has already happened before era 4 and Marsh was a big player in it, so while Marsh hasn't traveled much or at all, word has travel and now everyone has lore about Death looking like Marsh

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

Which bothers me because

Quite a few cultures on our actual real Earth have myths concerning an ancient massive flood. Maybe something like that actually happened. Maybe Ancient Aliens did it (Ancient Aliens did not do it). Maybe and more likely there was some communication/cross-pollination between some of those cultures. That said, while a lot of culture had flood myths, they weren't the exact same myth. The Ancient Greek flood myth doesn't say anything about Noah or a big-rear end boat, for example.

So, while Tress's world might have a death figure with nails in its eyes, that doesn't mean that figure is specifically supposed to be Marsh. Maybe inspired by him, but not actually him.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
We also kandra which are capable of spreading stories.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

M_Gargantua posted:

Which bothers me because

Probably because (Tress spoilers and Mistborn speculation) Tress is taking place much later than Stormlight and likely during/after Era 4 Mistborn so he very well could be established as a figure of fear across the Cosmere. Also keep in mind that in this book, it is mentioned that Sazed freed the Kandra. They are explicitly not referred to as Harmony. Meaning when Tress takes place Sazed has either reliquished his Shard somehow, or he's changed into another entity, possibly due to a fusion with Autonomy in some way considering the mention of the doctor having red eyes in Tress. Sure, the person mentioning this stuff knows Harmony's shardbearer name due to their intimate knowledge of events in Era 1, but I think this was Sanderson intentionally masking a major upcoming change for the Mistborn setting and Sazed/Harmony in particular

Or yeah, the Kandra who wander the Cosmere over the centuries have referred to Death as being a spiked figure and so that has infused itself into the mythology of Death in those worlds.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Probably because (Tress spoilers and Mistborn speculation) Tress is taking place much later than Stormlight and likely during/after Era 4 Mistborn so he very well could be established as a figure of fear across the Cosmere. Also keep in mind that in this book, it is mentioned that Sazed freed the Kandra. They are explicitly not referred to as Harmony. Meaning when Tress takes place Sazed has either reliquished his Shard somehow, or he's changed into another entity, possibly due to a fusion with Autonomy in some way considering the mention of the doctor having red eyes in Tress. Sure, the person mentioning this stuff knows Harmony's shardbearer name due to their intimate knowledge of events in Era 1, but I think this was Sanderson intentionally masking a major upcoming change for the Mistborn setting and Sazed/Harmony in particular

Or yeah, the Kandra who wander the Cosmere over the centuries have referred to Death as being a spiked figure and so that has infused itself into the mythology of Death in those worlds.

drat now you're making me rethink that Hoid didn't misspeak when he said Sazed instead of Harmony

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

He does tend to refer to Shards by their vessels' original names fairly often though, doesn't he?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Quantum Toast posted:

He does tend to refer to Shards by their vessels' original names fairly often though, doesn't he?

Yeah, he does. That's why I'm not leaning towards that particular theory.

Hoid usually calls them by their actual names and it seems to confuse people as they only know the Shard name. I figured he did it as a way of reminding them that they're people, not Shards even if he knew it wouldn't work. Also, he's Hoid. loving with people like that is his thing.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Another item I feel spoke to a connection with Scadrial is Fort and the culture he comes from seems very similar to the southern Scadrian culture that Mraize comes from. They enjoy the hunt, but seem to have grown beyond wearing masks. This, along with what the Sorceress's Tower is, some of the other technology shown in the story, and the Iriali having come and gone, makes me think this is far into the future, maybe as far as Sixth of the Dusk. Marsh would have had a lot of time to travel all over by then.

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

Which bothers me because

From the Lost Metals Ars Arcanum

"I have, after lengthy questing, obtained an interview with Marsh, the one known as Ironeyes on Scadrial. (As a side note, it is curious how news of his nature is spreading to other worlds. Is this natural rumormongering, or something more supernatural?)"

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Do we actually know who Hoid is telling the story to? I can't remember why but something in there made it seem like he was talking to somebody from first of the sun.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Space Butler posted:

Do we actually know who Hoid is telling the story to? I can't remember why but something in there made it seem like he was talking to somebody from first of the sun.

I feel it was intended to be the reader.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's specifically addressed to someone from a sea-faring culture whose planet has recently been visited by spaceships.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

mossyfisk posted:

It's specifically addressed to someone from a sea-faring culture whose planet has recently been visited by spaceships.

So yeah... the reader

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just wondering if anybody here is familiar with both Mistborn and the video game Red Dead Redemption? Recently played RDR2 and re-read Final Empire so they're on my mind.

I love the characters of Kelsier and Dutch van der Linde and I feel like the narrative presents them as very similar, especially in how they contrast with the "true heroes' Vin and Arthur. The two stories ask: How much of their activity is due to selfishness and their own egos vs. actually for a greater cause? How much is their pride and need for vengeance motivating them compared to the safety and happiness of others? They are the highly charismatic leaders of a group of rebels/revolutionaries, skilled in rhetoric and what one might call bald-faced manipulation. They are the mentor and father figures to someone substantially more humble and merciful than they are. The two narratives presenting the "child" as a much better person due to their far superior capacity for humility and compassion. Both Dutch and Kel are frequently accused of being psychopaths, which I disagree with but it mostly comes from how they can kill those they perceive as enemies without blinking. They're both racked by tremendous guilt for their failures in life.

Now, the two relationships end totally differently, obviously to anyone who has played the games. But Kel might still end up a villain yet, although TLM may have thrown a wrench into all those theories. But you know, Kel is a fighter. All his life he fought and in this far more supernatural universe, he was allowed to fight on after dying because he simply could not allow himself to rest.

Again, this might just be due to Kelsier and Dutch being two of my favorite characters ever. It's why I wanted to see if anybody else here has also played the RDR games and assess how close or totally off I am.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Space Butler posted:

Given some of the terminology used, it's either that or something close to it. Considering that there's a second book in the works that focuses on First of the Sun I wouldn't be surprised if there's a scene and Hoid's in the background telling this exact story to someone.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Future book existence spoiler , The preview chapter for the first of the sun book is pretty wild, rough reading knowing we won't have any more for a loooong time.

Edit: more spoiler wrap, not sure how best to wrap it

Brutor Fartknocker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 23, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

The preview chapter for the first of the sun book is pretty wild, rough reading knowing we won't have any more for a loooong time.

Is this new, or is it the one from like year ago where there were both Rosharan and Scadrian colonizers fighting over their world?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

The preview chapter for the first of the sun book is pretty wild, rough reading knowing we won't have any more for a loooong time.

How are people supposed to know if that spoiler is safe to click on?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Grundulum posted:

How are people supposed to know if that spoiler is safe to click on?

Seems like it's safe as long as you've read the preview chapter for the first of the sun book

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Is this new, or is it the one from like year ago where there were both Rosharan and Scadrian colonizers fighting over their world?

Yeah, that one.

Just going off of Evil Fluffy mentioning it. I only read it recently since I don't follow what Sanderson says at events super closely.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm still only like 4 chapters in Tress, book really isn't doing anything for me so far so I haven't read this thread in months, was this posted already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbmMASz9rxw

Sanderson posted a 35 minute video with Michael Kramer & Kate Reading!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

I'm still only like 4 chapters in Tress, book really isn't doing anything for me so far so I haven't read this thread in months, was this posted already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbmMASz9rxw

Sanderson posted a 35 minute video with Michael Kramer & Kate Reading!

It feels more like a normal Sanderson book a bit further in if you're willing to keep going - it was a slow start for me too. While it was refreshing to see him do something new in general, it wasn't really my cup of tea. The worldbuilding and interesting supporting characters show up eventually though for a pretty worthy addition to the Cosmere and an overall enjoyable read.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Are the novellas worth reading for the Stormlight Archive?

I just started book 3.

I thought book 1's ending was :piaa: but goddamn 2.

3 must end in some real bleak poo poo.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Are the novellas worth reading for the Stormlight Archive?

I just started book 3.

I thought book 1's ending was :piaa: but goddamn 2.

3 must end in some real bleak poo poo.

I didn't care for Edgedancer, matters how much you like Lift.

Dawnshard was awesome though and totally worth doing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I really enjoyed Tress

But it wasn't Good Literature

It was a Sanderson take on a standard fairy tale structure. Except the prince needs rescuing, Gandalf is in a coma, and the wicked witch is actually mostly competent at the general villainy, until the hero stumbles in at least

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

socialsecurity posted:

I didn't care for Edgedancer, matters how much you like Lift.

Dawnshard was awesome though and totally worth doing.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find it somewhere on the cheaps

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I would probably stop reading stormlight 3 and read Edgedancer tbh. Gives some important context to some characters in 3 that is missing if you don’t read it. Like others have said it depends on if you like lift though, I came out of the book liking her much more than going in.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I read the stormlight archives and listened to the entire thing 2 more times on graphicaudio. I also listened to the entire mistborn series.

Graphicaudio does an amazing job with the Sanderson books and I'm kind of itching for more.

What other Sanderson works are a good pick and how do they compare to stormlight / mistborn?

Choices they have are:

Elantris
Warbreaker
White sand
Alcatraz (Described a bit as a more children oriented series?)
Mistborn era 2 (A quick glance tells me this is more of a series of independent stories set after mistborn 1?)

- ok so I got into some digging about mistborn eras and getting a bit confused. Era 2 is supposedly a short story that ran out of hand and became a full fledged trilogy and 2 more eras are planned. Am I getting this right?

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 25, 2023

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Mikojan posted:

I read the stormlight archives and listened to the entire thing 2 more times on graphicaudio. I also listened to the entire mistborn series.

Graphicaudio does an amazing job with the Sanderson books and I'm kind of itching for more.

What other Sanderson works are a good pick and how do they compare to stormlight / mistborn?

Choices they have are:

Elantris
Warbreaker
White sand
Mistborn era 2 (A quick glance tells me this is more of a series of independent stories set after mistborn 1?)

- ok so I got into some digging about mistborn eras and getting a bit confused. Era 2 is supposedly a short story that ran out of hand and became a full fledged trilogy and 2 more eras are planned. Am I getting this right?

I would recommend either Warbreaker or Mistborn Era 2.

Warbreaker is a book most people find they either really enjoyed, or were whelmed by the overall story. Even if you fall into that latter category, there's a lot of really, really cool stuff it introduces into the cosmere.

Misborn Era 2 is fantastic but go into it understanding that you are in no way going to get anything resembling Mistborn Era 1.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Mistborn Era 2 probably has the best combination of writing and voice acting. Kramer should have some type of award for how well he voices Wayne.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Myrmidongs posted:

I would recommend either Warbreaker or Mistborn Era 2.

Warbreaker is a book most people find they either really enjoyed, or were whelmed by the overall story. Even if you fall into that latter category, there's a lot of really, really cool stuff it introduces into the cosmere.

Misborn Era 2 is fantastic but go into it understanding that you are in no way going to get anything resembling Mistborn Era 1.

It's sort of confusing why he would want to write a 'trilogy of trilogies' when the trilogies are more of a thing on their own? But I guess they will tie into one another at some point. Either way I bought the second era series and exited to start listening.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Without getting into specifics mistborn era 1 absolutely plays into mistborn era 2, especially in the later books

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mikojan posted:

Choices they have are:

Elantris
Warbreaker
White sand

The stories of Mistborn Era 2 are not quite the same tight story arc as in Era 1, but they feature the same cast through the four books, like Era 1 did with Kelsier and his crew. They are absolutely not 4 independent stories.

Warbreaker is pretty enjoyable imho. But even if you just judge it "acceptable", it's pretty important for the Cosmere, and Stormlight in particular. Stormlight 4 ending spoiler: One Warbreaker "character" gets wielded by Szeth and kills Odium, which I find pretty significant! And it's not the only major Warbreaker character to appear in the Stormligh Archive.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Torrannor posted:

The stories of Mistborn Era 2 are not quite the same tight story arc as in Era 1, but they feature the same cast through the four books, like Era 1 did with Kelsier and his crew. They are absolutely not 4 independent stories.

Warbreaker is pretty enjoyable imho. But even if you just judge it "acceptable", it's pretty important for the Cosmere, and Stormlight in particular. Stormlight 4 ending spoiler: One Warbreaker "character" gets wielded by Szeth and kills Odium, which I find pretty significant! And it's not the only major Warbreaker character to appear in the Stormligh Archive.

Oh thats pretty neat. Are all the tie ins 'fun to knows' or are there important reveals about inner workings of the cosmere itself?
Things like Hoid's nature and how the planets 'politics' is intertwined somehow?

Honestly I never really considered the importance of looking at the Cosmere as a whole and just took what I got from mistborn 1 and stormlight as a neat greater mystery setting. I have no idea if this concept is fleshed out more than I realize and whether I should read the other books to get a better understanding of it.

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mikojan posted:

Oh thats pretty neat. Are all the tie ins 'fun to knows' or are there important reveals about inner workings of the cosmere itself?
Things like Hoid's nature and how the planets 'politics' is intertwined somehow?

For the most part the tie-ins are just "fun to know" type easter eggs, but the later books in both mistborn and stormlight are starting to get more "cosmere connections" and you'll get more out of the books if you've read the major series. As other posters mentioned, without getting too spoilery, Warbreaker has some connections to Stormlight, and mistborn era 2 does too, especially later books.