Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If there's a team contest for timing button presses I'm not picking any of the people who mysteriously dislike an optional component to make combat fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Barudak posted:

I dont know what a Hashamal is in Gundam but its my favorite thing in the setting cause its so OP I cant beat it solo in any of the story missions it appears and must beg for online help to win.

Did not like this game, did not play any subsequent titles in the series.

i hope you get permabanned

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I stand with barudak

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

If there's a team contest for timing button presses I'm not picking any of the people who mysteriously dislike an optional component to make combat fun

I suggest that, if you need timed button presses to make turn based combat fun, you should simply play a different genre

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

Did not like this game, did not play any subsequent titles in the series.

hosed up if true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THO1NqIdfVI

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

input timing is like ATB, something that people subjectively think makes the game better because they're playing a boring game and an action element makes it more engaging for them but, is really just set dressing camouflage that makes mediocre RPGs materially worse. struggle to think of a game that is actually, made better with timed inputs, the mario games at least are maybe a little more thematic for it

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
everyone likes parrying in sekiro but when Mario and Luigi do it it's uncool for some reason

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mario and Luigi can’t even mikiri

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

homeless snail posted:

input timing is like ATB, something that people subjectively think makes the game better because they're playing a boring game and an action element makes it more engaging for them but, is really just set dressing camouflage that makes mediocre RPGs materially worse. struggle to think of a game that is actually, made better with timed inputs, the mario games at least are maybe a little more thematic for it

the mario rpg special attack minigames own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXhHHE-oDYs

atb sucks rear end

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

ffx-2 uses atb and it's the best rpg ever made. checkmate, liberals

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

switching from ctb to atb is the only bad part about x-2. ctb was a goated ff battle system

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Active time battles. Active time

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
atb is fine in theory just every game that uses it moves far too slowly. this is due to the fact that the core jrpg audience is composed of weak gamers who would fold under any real time pressure.

turn based is good too but, like chess without a clock, on some level fundamentally cowardly. the player abdicates any real stress in pursuit of a meaningless perfection. even the illusion of pressure is too much to bear.

in conclusion, real time with pause wins again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thats right. ff12 is the best ff, scientifically speaking

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I feel confident in saying, pathfinder kingmaker would be absolute garbage if they didn’t have a turn-based mode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 uses timed inputs and is like the second best JRPG ever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I feel confident in saying, pathfinder kingmaker would be absolute garbage if they didn’t have a turn-based mode.
it did not have the turn based mode, at launch, it was a mod that they later built into the game. its a lot more fun but it does, make the game take about 10x longer if youre playing all the fights in turn based mode sadly

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've never played any game with atb or whatever it is, only regular turn-based stuff like pokemon, but i feel like i hate turn-based combat enough that i would really hate whatever atb is trying to do

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i've never played any game with atb or whatever it is, only regular turn-based stuff like pokemon, but i feel like i hate turn-based combat enough that i would really hate whatever atb is trying to do
its literally the same thing except if you take too long to press a button the enemy interrupts you and takes their turn first. very cool concept that seemed like it was breaking the rules, on the snes, but it stuck around for far too long for something that doesn't really bring much to the table. its not really a mechanic that you can interact with other than, needing to decide what you're doing in advance so you can quickly choose it. none of the games that used it though had complicated enough combat mechanics that you need to spend much time thinking about your turn

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

homeless snail posted:

its literally the same thing except if you take too long to press a button the enemy interrupts you and takes their turn first. very cool concept that seemed like it was breaking the rules, on the snes, but it stuck around for far too long for something that doesn't really bring much to the table. its not really a mechanic that you can interact with other than, needing to decide what you're doing in advance so you can quickly choose it. none of the games that used it though had complicated enough combat mechanics that you need to spend much time thinking about your turn

this is grandia erasure

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

this is grandia erasure

Grandia actually does something with its mechanism, which is what ATB wishes it was.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dagoth Ur AI Voice memes are both the dumbest and best things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMrS9VZHUk

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Relax Or DIE posted:

atb is fine in theory just every game that uses it moves far too slowly. this is due to the fact that the core jrpg audience is composed of weak gamers who would fold under any real time pressure.

turn based is good too but, like chess without a clock, on some level fundamentally cowardly. the player abdicates any real stress in pursuit of a meaningless perfection. even the illusion of pressure is too much to bear.

in conclusion, real time with pause wins again

So what I'm hearing is that Baten Kaitos is in fact the perfect rpg

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

And that's River City Girls 2 completed! Man that final boss was nothing compared to Marian, you were definitely right about the inverse difficulty Mode 7.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Dagoth Ur AI Voice memes are both the dumbest and best things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMrS9VZHUk

This one is my personal favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNipoNLC6Eg

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Sakurazuka posted:

The one with the pupetmaster creeper party member?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
My favorite is still Dagoth Ur knocking at your door, but that didn’t use AI.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ATB is fine. You know what isn't? Press turns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Arzaac posted:

So what I'm hearing is that Baten Kaitos is in fact the perfect rpg

yup

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Live A Live's combat, I don't know where that falls.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKLk7ZozZQ8

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

And that's River City Girls 2 completed! Man that final boss was nothing compared to Marian, you were definitely right about the inverse difficulty Mode 7.

The bosses are all fun fights thematically and ooze personality, but on Normal at least it really is harder to easier lol. I wonder if they'd scale properly on Hard.

Regardless, the soundtrack composed by Megan McDuffee slaps and everyone should listen to it even if you don't play the game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

its so hosed up that I can picture the outfit perfectly in my mind

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

redreader posted:

If you're talking about the old space hulk PC game, I played that a bit when it came out. It is too luck-based, as you said. I think the only option would be to savescum (iirc that would involve file system copies etc), because after surviving a mission or two a marine will level up and be more likely to melee hit, and kill a genestealer. If you had a fully leveled party it would be easier. I think I only ever got about five missions in before I gave up, but started from the beginning a bunch of times.

I'm talking about the PS4 Space Hulk game. It seems to have no RPG elements of any kind

Gripweed posted:

After like three months, it has finally arrived

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barudak posted:

I dont know what a Hashamal is in Gundam but its my favorite thing in the setting cause its so OP I cant beat it solo in any of the story missions it appears and must beg for online help to win.

That is extremely appropriate for the Hashmal. It's literally a war crimes machine, and in the series beating it required them to do some bad stuff

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

Sakurazuka posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 was my jam. I loved that crazy spinning poo poo

rox
Sep 7, 2016

today its my birthday and i hereby decree: today is the day i beat wario land 3

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Atomic Heart taking pot shots at Hogwarts Legacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7abXC2PDA

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

centristly: timed hits are good when thoughtfully woven into the overall mechanics but some people think they're just an inherent good bc people liked paper mario and make YIIK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

classic ATB is whatever but it eventually inspired FF7R's combat so actually it's really good