Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

We’ve more than likely interacted on TrekBBS too, since I was a pretty active poster there from 2000-2006 or so. God those were wild times.

What was your username?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Cannibalistic Bynar. Listen, I was 13 and monkeycheese cringe stuff was all the rage.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

Cannibalistic Bynar. Listen, I was 13 and monkeycheese cringe stuff was all the rage.

I, of course, remember you.

(Imagine this in Montalban's voice.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Very glad I contained my early Trek cringe to IRC, the Bungie forums, and the occasional TrekMovie comment

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

cenotaph posted:

Aside from everything else he's bad at, Abrams has no sense of pacing or scale. We need to go to place -> push button on ship -> we're there. Managed to make a copy of ANH without realizing the importance of the training scene on the falcon between the escape sequence and arriving at the death star.

Yeah, this is by far my biggest pet peeve with JJTrek and JJWars. Everything else is tolerable, but the utter failure to pace anything or create any sense of scale completely ruins those movies for me.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this is by far my biggest pet peeve with JJTrek and JJWars. Everything else is tolerable, but the utter failure to pace anything or create any sense of scale completely ruins those movies for me.

You can't even parody his inexplicable disinterest in distance/time since he had someone use a personal transporter to beam from Earth to Kronos. You can't give less of a poo poo than that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought the JJtreks were fine for what they were, but their not great

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
ST09 is a fine action movie, I’ve never fully understood the hatred beyond JJ just being a Walmart-brand Spielberg in general. Into Darkness is trash for many many reasons, but it’s still watchable trash.

Beyond has flaws but it’s also a genuinely good movie and I’ll happily die on that hill.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
All three Kelvin movies really just slide into the "they exist" zone for me, I was entertained enough by all three (I even prefer Into Darkness to 09) but there's not much draw to ever really revisit them. Abrams tics just stand out the more you devote time to thinking about them.

It's a polar opposite to how movies 1-2-3-4-6 are basically infinitely rewatchable to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Beyond is drat good but it also makes me sad because it's known it was rushed as hell and if they'd let the script be refined a bit more to iron out the faults it could've been really great. As is, there's a lot of flaws, but it's just generally good enough to get past them.

09 is generically fine, although a few bits like the zero scale do grate on me and I find it less watchable over time. It's got some great bits in it though. The opening scene is masterfully done.

Into Darkness is, of course, a loving piece of poo poo.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 14, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Seemlar posted:

All three Kelvin movies really just slide into the "they exist" zone for me, I was entertained enough by all three (I even prefer Into Darkness to 09) but there's not much draw to ever really revisit them. Abrams tics just stand out the more you devote time to thinking about them.

It's a polar opposite to how movies 1-2-3-4-6 are basically infinitely rewatchable to me.

Same. I enjoyed watching the JJ movies when they came out, but for some reason they just didn't engage the obsessive-nerd part of my brain like most of Trek does, and I've felt no particular need to revisit them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ST09 is a fine action movie, I’ve never fully understood the hatred beyond JJ just being a Walmart-brand Spielberg in general. Into Darkness is trash for many many reasons, but it’s still watchable trash.

Beyond has flaws but it’s also a genuinely good movie and I’ll happily die on that hill.

Like I said in another post, my issues with Abrams are that he's a shallow hack who's not good at writing, understanding, or ending stories, but the real problem is that he's either taught a whole cadre of folks how to write wrong, or cultivated an entire army of hack acolytes, hackolytes if you will, that are carrying on in his stead elsewhere in the industry. You're right though, he's just an easily burnable hate idol to a lot of people and is emblematic of a larger problem with the industry. Like how chuds blame Alex Kurtzman for everything wrong with Star Trek when they real fault lies further down the chain with people like the individual showrunners of each series, their writers rooms, and the 80 quintillion executive producers each series has that get credited at the start of each episode over the main cast that muck everything up with their personal "I want THIS in the show" directives.

MikeJF posted:

Into Darkness is, of course, a loving piece of poo poo.

Into Darkness is perfectly fine until

and THEN it turns into an unsalvagable piece of poo poo :eng101:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I also didn't like how he tried to do a thing where Khan advanced their tech greatly. Yeah, he was genetically engineered and therefore really smart. I still suspect he was only average from, say, a Vulcan perspective.

He was smart, strong, and a charismatic leader and that works as a package. It was still just a 20th century guy with above average intelligence and I doubt locking him away in a lab to make weapons is going to do much.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

Like I said in another post, my issues with Abrams are that he's a shallow hack who's not good at writing, understanding, or ending stories, but the real problem is that he's either taught a whole cadre of folks how to write wrong, or cultivated an entire army of hack acolytes, hackolytes if you will, that are carrying on in his stead elsewhere in the industry. You're right though, he's just an easily burnable hate idol to a lot of people and is emblematic of a larger problem with the industry. Like how chuds blame Alex Kurtzman for everything wrong with Star Trek when they real fault lies further down the chain with people like the individual showrunners of each series, their writers rooms, and the 80 quintillion executive producers each series has that get credited at the start of each episode over the main cast that muck everything up with their personal "I want THIS in the show" directives.

Right. Abrams is a hack and his bad habits are definitely going to influence a new generation of filmmakers, but anyone is kidding themselves if they didn’t think the directive to make a light popcorn-y pure nostalgia action movie out of Star Trek (or even Force Awakens) originated from anyone other than people at the studio level who want it to be the next big marketable IP they can just wring gobs of cash out of. That’s been the trend of these kinds of things since at least the mid-00s and it’s not stopping any time soon.

quote:

Into Darkness is perfectly fine until

and THEN it turns into an unsalvagable piece of poo poo :eng101:

It’s such a stupidly short-sighted choice just so they can cram a recognizable name into the movie and rip-off the big sacrifice with a twist.

Cumberbatch should’ve just been who he claimed at first; just another augment trying to find the other augments. Then at the very end when you’ve gone through absolute hell just to take down this augment lackey, you pan over to the other tubes and show the actual Khan.

“If this is what it took just to defeat a single second-string augment, think of what it’ll cost them to take on Khan himself and the rest of them!”

Boom, instant sequel hook with a ratcheting threat level and a virtual assurance that more people will actually show up for a third movie since even the most casual of viewers will go “hey Khan! Oh poo poo I know that name!”

And then you get Javier Bardem or Benicio (or dare I say, an actual Indian actor?) to play him like they’d originally tried to do. Plus then you don’t poison your audience’s trust by straight up lying for months in press junkets saying Cumberbatch isn’t Khan.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HD DAD posted:

Cannibalistic Bynar.

lmao that's got some dark implications

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What did the Cannibalistic Bynar do to the other Bynar?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

https://twitter.com/brandon_bird/status/1625349358672822273?s=46&t=vupcNjlVzFqqiWhtJ0FAwg

Losing it at the trombone

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well duh how else would you know it’s Riker

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

We had this discussion in the other Trek thread about what a lying, craven little weenie who's desperate to please the worst possible people Terry Matalas is, and that whole "love letter to the fans" quote reminded me of something. He was Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's protege on Enterprise. And he's also saying that Picard Season 3 is going to be a "love letter" to fans of Star Trek :barf:

Scott Bakula wakes up on Enterprise, wow what a crazy dream that next generation was

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Seemlar posted:

You can't even parody his inexplicable disinterest in distance/time since he had someone use a personal transporter to beam from Earth to Kronos. You can't give less of a poo poo than that.

I dont' even remember the Earth to Kronos transporting, lmao jesus. This was the plot to one of the better ENT episodes though, where the guy wants to do subspace transporting instead of warp drives and ships and it gets kinda Jaunt-y.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Again, Twitter cropping does the full image an immense disservice:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Scott Bakula wakes up on Enterprise, wow what a crazy dream that next generation was

"Oh boy."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

Will and Geordi trying to finish their jazz gig even though the audience seems unusually hostile

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

geordi that's a really fuckin dangerous way to turn on a circular saw

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

geordi that's a really fuckin dangerous way to turn on a circular saw

Hey gordi's one of the best musicians out there playing the old circular saw, pretty sure he doesn't need you telling him what's "safe" or not.

(please don't ask how many figures he's needed reattached)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember really liking the one where geordi wins a CTF match

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Geordi was always an exceptional Unreal Tournament player.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tighclops posted:

I remember really liking the one where geordi wins a CTF match

The one thing I really remember was from the first Voyager one, about Cadet Janeway. And I don't know why the writer included this detail, maybe to play up Janeway's Indiana origins, but in the book, cadet Janeway was absolutely pissed the Academy replicators couldn't get her mom's salad right. And by mom's salad I don't mean a special recipe that she was homesick for, no. It was ambrosia salad with jello cubes with tiny marshmellows inside them, but the replicators couldn't get that one ingredient right - they'd produce jello cubes in marshmallows, or jello cubes and marshmellows. Just never quite the right Midwestern trash Janeway wanted. It has been like 25 years since I read that book. I've forgotten everything else from it. But my brain just won't goddamn give up on the temper tantrum that accompanies "NO THE MARSHMELLOWS GO IN THE JELLO CUBES YOU STUPID COMPUTER." (my line)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

The one thing I really remember was from the first Voyager one, about Cadet Janeway. And I don't know why the writer included this detail, maybe to play up Janeway's Indiana origins, but in the book, cadet Janeway was absolutely pissed the Academy replicators couldn't get her mom's salad right. And by mom's salad I don't mean a special recipe that she was homesick for, no. It was ambrosia salad with jello cubes with tiny marshmellows inside them, but the replicators couldn't get that one ingredient right - they'd produce jello cubes in marshmallows, or jello cubes and marshmellows. Just never quite the right Midwestern trash Janeway wanted. It has been like 25 years since I read that book. I've forgotten everything else from it. But my brain just won't goddamn give up on the temper tantrum that accompanies "NO THE MARSHMELLOWS GO IN THE JELLO CUBES YOU STUPID COMPUTER." (my line)

This explains why Janeway was always so gung ho to gently caress with the Borg years later; her obsession with cubes

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Seemlar posted:

I kind of recall someone saying he used an experimental Section 31 transporter. So it was something he had rigged up but he wasn't even standard issue among Section 31. Kind of like how Scotty gets Kirk from Vulcan's moon onto the Enterprise while it's traveling at warp.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

V-Men posted:

I kind of recall someone saying he used an experimental Section 31 transporter. So it was something he had rigged up but he wasn't even standard issue among Section 31. Kind of like how Scotty gets Kirk from Vulcan's moon onto the Enterprise while it's traveling at warp.

It was using Scotty's transwarp beamer that Future Spock told him how to get working.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

MikeJF posted:

It was using Scotty's transwarp beamer that Future Spock told him how to get working.

Yeah, I meant it in the sense of "it was a one off that one shouldn't expect to see anywhere else", rather than "it was the same tech". Sometimes I don't finish my ideas

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

V-Men posted:

Sometimes I don't finish

Fixed that for your wife

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/jfkenney/status/1625444437143740417?s=20

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

If I ever met him in person I'd ask him for his best "Jesus Wept".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bull3964 posted:

What did the Cannibalistic Bynar do to the other Bynar?

Lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Another thing that bothers me about JJ is he seems allergic to actually portraying space ships in space. Odd choice given the subject matter of these 2 franchises. They're always in low orbit.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well yeah -- it's not JJ tho

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu8e5aL9hQE&t=558s
Huh here's Braga apologizing for TATV as part of a real long roundtable with the ENT cast in 2015

Bakula was apparently furious about it lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And then you get Javier Bardem or Benicio (or dare I say, an actual Indian actor?) to play him like they’d originally tried to do.

Oddly, I've always assumed that his name and ethnicity were completely unrelated, like it was assigned by random choice or engineers just used names they liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When I was a kid I got mixed up because "Khan Noonian Singh" and "Dr Noonian Soong" are so similar, I thought they were related or something.