Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Haggis tastes just like faggots with a few extra spice-related knobs on, it’s not that exotic imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

A fancy market stall where I previousy lived did a haggis/black pudding hybrid, which was the best of both worlds.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MeinPanzer posted:

As a foreigner I find Irn Bru to be OK--it's certainly not to my tastes, but also not actively offensive--but it is remarkable how much Scots genuinely love it. Haggis tastes good though.

I think part of it is just it tastes likes home. Part of it is undoubtedly they've always had effective ad campaigns, like Irn Bru, Made From Girders. Until relatively recently it was hard to find even in England, never mind the rest of the world, so if you were drinking Irn Bru you were probably in Scotland

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The best soft drink is Mexican coke in a glass bottle, no question. Most soft drinks I had when I've been in the US have tasted like chemicals and sugar (even more so than usual), other euro countries are hit and miss with their drinks. Best UK soft drink is a tough one but I'll tell you what it isn't and that's dandelion and burdock, I mean what the gently caress.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

forkboy84 posted:

I think part of it is just it tastes likes home. Part of it is undoubtedly they've always had effective ad campaigns, like Irn Bru, Made From Girders. Until relatively recently it was hard to find even in England, never mind the rest of the world, so if you were drinking Irn Bru you were probably in Scotland

I found it in Almaty once about a decade ago. Was a very good day. Well I say that but we had a few beers after so the end of it is a bit hazy.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It often does yes which is why I specified "nice"

I have had some that has a pleasing botanical flavour but yes usually it is just loaded up with that manky liqoricey mouthwashy flavour and is gross.

Needs to be A&W or Sarsi.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Haggis tastes just like faggots with a few extra spice-related knobs on, it’s not that exotic imo.

Completely different texture though. Faggots are fat sausages while Haggis comes out looking like exotic corned beef.

On that note. McBrains faggots suck so much. I had some faggots from a proper butcher and the difference was night and day. Cost about the same too!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Kind of surprising article from a Telegraph head-banger, where she 1) Admits that the handling of Brexit has been disastrous and 2) That there are deep-seated problems in the country that Brexit has done nothing to put right:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/13/brexit-finally-dead-tory-party-will-soon-suffer-fate/

quote:

We could dwell at length on who exactly killed Brexit. But in truth, as on Agatha Christie’s Orient Express, everybody wielded the knife. It was Theresa May who squandered her parliamentary majority and thus gravely weakened Britain’s negotiating position against Brussels. It was the political class who could never see the project as more than a damage limitation exercise. And it was the Brexiteers who failed to muster a compellingly modern vision – preferring to glory in buccaneering fantasies of free trade than focus on regulatory divergence to jump-start science and tech.

Regardless, the fact remains that Brexit is dead. The only thing left to do is the political equivalent of disposing of the body.

She thinks that, for the country to move forwards and move on from Brexit, the Tory Party has to go... permanently; which is an interesting take to see in the Torygraph.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Mourning Due posted:

Pants -> trousers has to be in contention for top 10

I got caught out with suspenders = braces when I complimented a former boss on his suspenders

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Mourning Due posted:

Pants -> trousers has to be in contention for top 10

By now I've adopted a lot of Britishisms, but I still regularly say "pants" to refer to trousers and don't catch myself for a couple of beats afterwards.

The conversation with British people related to this is always the same:
- So what do you call what we call "pants" then?
- "Underwear," normally.
- But underwear can mean anything you wear under your clothes!
- No, we would say "undergarments" or something like that to refer to all items you wear under your clothes.
- So what are "panties" then?
- Female underwear.

Etc. etc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Kind of surprising article from a Telegraph head-banger, where she 1) Admits that the handling of Brexit has been disastrous and 2) That there are deep-seated problems in the country that Brexit has done nothing to put right:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/13/brexit-finally-dead-tory-party-will-soon-suffer-fate/

She thinks that, for the country to move forwards and move on from Brexit, the Tory Party has to go... permanently; which is an interesting take to see in the Torygraph.

Unfortunately she will want it replaced with a new British Union of Fascists

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Church Ladyboy posted:

I got caught out with suspenders = braces when I complimented a former boss on his suspenders

Wow, bit of a minor thing to get fired over

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

Newspaper editorial leanings are always a reflection of the current owner. The Barclays have for many years had a vested interest in supporting the Tories no matter what, but one of them is now dead and the other is pushing 90 and spending most of his time fighting legal battles to avoid paying a nine figure divorce settlement. There's no strong grip at the helm.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pistol_Pete posted:

of all those things, "regulatory divergence" is the term that most makes my eyelid twitch

much like the limbs of poor people after science and tech regulations diverge and Elon Musk gets to run stage 2 of his monkey brain chip program

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Corner shops in England have always well stocked Irn Bru, along with 4,000 flavours of Tango and Rubicon.

The soft drink banter I don't get though. I've almost always stuck with water. I can start arguments by saying that Pepsi/Coke/whatever off brand, mostly tastes the same.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Scotland's REAL national dish should be the Macaroni Pie imo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Corner shops in England have always well stocked Irn Bru, along with 4,000 flavours of Tango and Rubicon.

Certainly not the case in Sheffield

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Fancy a Tab Clear now.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Gorn Myson posted:

The soft drink banter I don't get though. I've almost always stuck with water.

Gin and water just doesn't have the right bite unfortunately. (Nor does Schweppes tonic, keep that saccharine away)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

Here’s Rodney Bewes celebrating the blandness of faggots

https://twitter.com/saucyseventies/status/1396458391925497856?s=46&t=XE9Hz4HiERjPs_uHH5GJ_g

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
In my experience Irn Bru is really two drinks, because it's remarkable how much the taste changes based on temperature. If you drink it at room temperature (e.g. from a bottle someone is keeping on a counter), it's basically tutti fruitti flavour, that sort of general non-specific "fruit" flavour. But if you drink it ice cold, those fruit flavours get suppressed and instead a much harsher gingery flavour is prominent instead. I like both, personally, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's people out there who've tried it once and disliked it that might have liked it more had they experienced the flavour profile from the other temperature.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pistol_Pete posted:

Pretty sure that just means a Hermes/Evri style rebranding that solves none of the problems

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Reveilled posted:

In my experience Irn Bru is really two drinks, because it's remarkable how much the taste changes based on temperature. If you drink it at room temperature (e.g. from a bottle someone is keeping on a counter), it's basically tutti fruitti flavour, that sort of general non-specific "fruit" flavour. But if you drink it ice cold, those fruit flavours get suppressed and instead a much harsher gingery flavour is prominent instead. I like both, personally, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's people out there who've tried it once and disliked it that might have liked it more had they experienced the flavour profile from the other temperature.

Alright Jilly Goolden.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith is still concerned that people have been buying too many Biros lol. Don’t all departments do this at this time to use up their allocated budget? Even for him this is some weak sauce poo poo

https://twitter.com/labourpress/status/1625136069678190593?s=46&t=ORLOlVzSvC3MoroF8YUx4Q

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

Pretty sure that just means a Hermes/Evri style rebranding that solves none of the problems

This analogy works perfectly with the way Brexit was delivered, hats off to you.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

All this GPC files thing is going to accomplish is that if labour get in they'll institute some super harsh spending limits on civil servants to that point that people won't be able to do their jobs. Alternatively they'll do nothing and get hit with the exact same headlines 3 years later but it'll actually work this time because "labour spent all the poonds again"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Keith is still concerned that people have been buying too many Biros lol. Don’t all departments do this at this time to use up their allocated budget? Even for him this is some weak sauce poo poo

https://twitter.com/labourpress/status/1625136069678190593?s=46&t=ORLOlVzSvC3MoroF8YUx4Q

This is what they trailed with this ad campaign. They truly, honestly thought that bulk-buys of stationery were going to bring down the government.

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1623724042921426944?s=46&t=D_KWvFyccdjwzMCGncxm_A

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smellmycheese posted:

Yep, that's exactly what they do. When I was working in IT procurement for the local council Q4 was when everyone spent up the current year's budget so they wouldn't have to give any back.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I could care less about the wrong things that Americans say.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Good work keith, really re-enforce the idea of the "government credit card". This will not bite you on the arse later.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Miftan posted:

Yeah it's very common in multiple areas in the UK to call sprite lemonade. Multiple places in London, Yorkshire and Lancashire, if nothing else.

In finnish soda in general can be referred to as 'limonadi', even coca cola is seen as a form of limonadi.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jamieklingler/status/1625242555158786052?s=46&t=H3v7kKVy4mUQXqRzOD0Szg

Article scratching the surface of the bullshit that Couzens was able to get up to with complete impunity for years before murdering Sarah Everard. Really underlines that police officers are effectively immune to the laws they're supposed to enforce.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

sinky posted:

Good work keith, really re-enforce the idea of the "government credit card". This will not bite you on the arse later.
It won’t, though. It would only come back to haunt him if he had any intention of spending money to fix things.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

I could care less about the wrong things that Americans say.

:golfclap:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You'd think the 'party of business' would understand how business spending works, but here we are I guess.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Good job on Labour for really hitting Matt Hancock where it hurts. His relatively lax stationery purchasing habits.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Haggis is absolutely elite tier (once you get over the ingredients) what are you all on about. I could sit with a bowl of that stuff and eat it with a spoon, and I have done exactly that on several occasions.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Haggis is absolutely elite tier (once you get over the ingredients) what are you all on about. I could sit with a bowl of that stuff and eat it with a spoon, and I have done exactly that on several occasions.

It’s not bad it’s just not very interesting once you get past the novelty ingredients.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

This is what they trailed with this ad campaign. They truly, honestly thought that bulk-buys of stationery were going to bring down the government.

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1623724042921426944?s=46&t=D_KWvFyccdjwzMCGncxm_A

Lolll that is amazingly pathetic

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I dont know what Banner is but I've known several trade wholesalers who would get in a load of tv's or whatever at Christmas and give you one and invoice it to your company as a drum of SWA or something innocuous. It was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Chubby Henparty posted:

What sucks is that they stopped making full sized appletise/grapetise as a cheap replacement table wine for those not drinking, now you have to get alcohol free sav blanc or whatever for 10x the price.

Shloer is still a thing

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 14, 2023