Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Endorph posted:

why is your dancer seeing combat

It's incredibly important that Reyson sacrifice himself so that I can learn Ashnard's motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wow soren's map is rude as gently caress

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if they picked that map specifically for Soren because it's the closest we get to actually going to Goldoa in the Tellius games.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I have met Alfred and he is a dweebus (affectionate).

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Augus posted:

wow soren's map is rude as gently caress

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I went looking through the ally notebook, and it felt weird to have one portrait for Merrin that's in one of the Solmnic civilian sets. Middle Eastern themed country, royal family and a lot of the civilians are black, but then Merrin is a pale-skinned blue-eyed blonde.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

HootTheOwl posted:

Ch15: Don't let her run! kill her! Anything! Do something!

So far it seems like a lot of the plot could have been avoided if the crew didn't stand around with their thumbs up their collective asses whenever the bad guys did literally anything.

But that's just JRPGs in general

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Post ch 25: uh, yeah. Alear, about seeing Lumera again in the afterlife... you remember that thing you and the emblems you did with your shiny new ring? Well.....

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
beat chapter 23

Kind of a weak story beat here imo.
I liked Marni and Mauvier's turn, they made sense.

But Zephia went too far in a lot of things for the game to try to make you feel sympathetic. She just wanted Sombron's love?! Sorry, but you stabbed Marni and mindwarp'd Veyle.
Griss was dumb. He struck around because he's in love with Zephia...also he was the weakest of the hounds, I destroyed him on every map.

A comedic webcomic has some potential with the 4 hounds and sombron in a house together trying to be a family.

start of chapter 24.

lol, flung into the past?

also, goddamnit Marth, I swear you been an enemy in more maps than the actual generals

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 14, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I uh, dont think you understood the scene you're complaining about

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Reyson might have glass bones and paper skin but he’s angry and willing to punch Oliver and has good taste in men. This means he’s a top tier character and dancer.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I loving wish they’d remake Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. That would be incredible. I do like Ike’s voice actor but he would definitely have to do a more youthful voice for the first game.

Soren is really racist against Laguz but so are most people so it’s just a blind spot for him really. And he grows over the course of the game. But yeah he’s a good character for sure.
to be fair, unlike everyone else* in the setting, soren has an important backstory reason for being racist. also him being fantasy racist means he's allowed to have a personal arc where he stops being (really) racist

*except ike, the man who will end racism forever

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

to be fair, unlike everyone else* in the setting, soren has an important backstory reason for being racist. also him being fantasy racist means he's allowed to have a personal arc where he stops being (really) racist

Soren supports taxing the owners of the world so he's cool in my book

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 14, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Reyson might have glass bones and paper skin but he’s angry and willing to punch Oliver and has good taste in men. This means he’s a top tier character and dancer.

Yup.

All the herons have pretty good taste honestly. Well, maybe not Leanne but in a way I personally find understandable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blaziken386 posted:

His reason for being racist is "everyone abused me because they thought I was one of those" so I'm glad you said important reason rather than a good one.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bruceski posted:

His reason for being racist is "everyone abused me because they thought I was one of those" so I'm glad you said important reason rather than a good one.
yes that is important to clarify. still hosed up, but at least you can point to that and go "this is WHY he has a lovely character flaw"

in contrast, you have characters like shinon, who are fantasy racist solely because theyre assholes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Love that guy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bruceski posted:

It’s specifically laguz who act lovely towards Branded according to his supports since they can sense the difference between normal beorc and branded ones, kind of an important distinction even if I agree that it’s a not a good reason.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

yes that is important to clarify. still hosed up, but at least you can point to that and go "this is WHY he has a lovely character flaw"

in contrast, you have characters like shinon, who are fantasy racist solely because theyre assholes

Shinon owns

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shinon is the Wakka of Fire Emblem.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I disagree; Shinon's cool.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eh, technically every laguz has some sort of reason to dislike the branded, even if it's kind of silly.

In any event the herons physical weakness exists because otherwise Reyson would have murdered everyone already.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think its pretty that across several sites I have seen people respond to those talking about how Soren seems cool to say "Ok heads up in his own game he's a racist. But don't worry! He's not that racist"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Soren's only really racist for like five chapters, he tones it down a lot after having a screaming fit at Lethe and Mordecai.

Compare Shinon who is racist the whole way through.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Soren rules in Engage. Let's continue to Engage

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He rules in his own game too.

In fact, i'd say he rules harder.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I feel cheated that Lyns paralogue is from Roys game. She’s not even in it!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

It’s specifically laguz who act lovely towards Branded according to his supports since they can sense the difference between normal beorc and branded ones, kind of an important distinction even if I agree that it’s a not a good reason.
Stefan also talks about it near the end of RD

quote:

Stefan: The laguz blood gives the Branded unnatural powers. Beorc fear and distrust us because they can’t understand those abilities. The laguz are even worse. They treat us like we’re phantoms, refusing to acknowledge us, as if we don’t even exist.
Yune: I see…
Stefan: It’s easy to hide among beorcs. You just cover the brand, avoid getting close to anyone, and never settle down. Pretending you’re normal. The laguz are different. They can sense what we are… They have an instinct for it. Not all laguz know for sure, but the sharp ones figure it out instantly. Others just feel uneasy around us. Some never figure it out, but they’re surrounded by ones who do. Either way, the laguz would never talk to us voluntarily. Why would you pay attention to someone who doesn’t even exist?

Plus the infamous final base conversation

quote:

Soren: On my way to Crimea, I kept seeing laguz from the beast tribe. They were terrifying, but after a while I realized something. They never attacked me. They all seemed to notice something about me, and then pretend they couldn’t see me. That look was burned into my mind, and it was always the same. They’d scowl, then walk away like they’d never noticed me. In a way, that left me feeling colder and more alone than if they’d attacked me. Hate… That I could understand. This was denial. They made me feel like I wasn’t supposed to exist at all. That my simply being alive was an affront to the world. That was how the beasts treated me. And I hated them for it. It sat in my heart like a lead bar. Like a glacier.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

galagazombie posted:

I feel cheated that Lyns paralogue is from Roys game. She’s not even in it!

It’s because they needed a sacae plains map to represent Lyn but all the sacae plains maps in FE7 are babytown tutorial stages

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the support convos for the late game recruits are really good since its more plot orientated than beginner characters of 'i love tea!' or 'i love muscles'

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m at Chapter 22, and something I have to give props to this story is how coherent it feels relative to Fates. like, Alear is literally Corrupted Alear right now but the story took the time to make that twist feel like a plausible thing and not something pulled out if it’s rear end like Azura’s orb of exposition that conveniently had to break after one use, same with dragon mom dying to a weakass attack, it was just the coup de grace because she spent a thousand years giving us her power.

Idk, this story isn’t settting the world on fire but it’s solid, especially given a lot of its plot beats feel like they exist to serve the gameplay first and foremost.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hope you feel the same for 23.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The "I love muscles" supports are good. They initially just seem like goofs but as you get further supports for Alfred it starts to recontextualise those earlier scenes as actually subtly reflecting some deeper and more nuanced aspects of his character. Classic support stuff, and I respect it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Alfred is really interesting because despite his attitude and appearance he's in the running for most tragic character in the game. Dude has his insane bodybuilding fetish because he's desperately attempting to strengthen his body to fight back against the anime cancer that nearly killed him as a child and is still killing him to this day. He has an active ticking mortality clock and he's raging against the dying of the light. Even if you win, he's still going to die young no matter what you or he does.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the initial characters are a lot better than people give them credit for, i think people are just coming in with low expectations that the c ranks dont fight against/prove wrong

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Finished the game tonight. Good game, needs more animal deployment slots on the Somniel.

https://twitter.com/OmeteotI/status/1625390395185315840

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

Alfred is really interesting because despite his attitude and appearance he's in the running for most tragic character in the game. Dude has his insane bodybuilding fetish because he's desperately attempting to strengthen his body to fight back against the anime cancer that nearly killed him as a child and is still killing him to this day. He has an active ticking mortality clock and he's raging against the dying of the light. Even if you win, he's still going to die young no matter what you or he does.

My fav part about is that in some supports he mentions how working out keeps your mind off things you can't do anything about and at first you think he's maybe talking about prince stuff or just being his usual simple/naive self but once you fully learn his history it becomes clearer he's meaning that he knows ultimately there's no real cure for his disease but he's gonna keep at it anyway.

Paints a good picture of the guy as you start going further through his support list. It does mean that if you miss a few supports you might not ever see those deeper parts of the character but that's pretty classic Fire Emblem right there so I don't mind it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also to backtrack to an earlier convo about the dub, my big complaint with is that they missed how cool alcryst's jp voice gets when he crits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU0q84lr57M&t=235s

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ometeotl posted:

Finished the game tonight. Good game, needs more animal deployment slots on the Somniel.

https://twitter.com/OmeteotI/status/1625390395185315840

On my phone, I can only see the two right "panels" on that player card, and I see still see the loss.jpg. Jesus Christ, this site has ruined my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Kanos posted:

I mean there is a way to help him.