Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Metroid Prime PSA: If you're trying to 100% the logbook, make sure you scan the Ice Shriekbats in Ice Ruins West before you get the Thermal Visor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

These color-coded troopers in the Phazon Mines are kicking my rear end. It seems like I can never get through an engagement with one without losing more health than I can ever gain back, and wind up dead before I see any sign of a save room (or even an upgrade).

The ice ones are the worst. In theory they're supposed to be vulnerable to the ice beam, but they seem to take hardly any damage from it. A wiki is telling me I should be able to freeze and shatter them, but in practice they seem to be invulnerable to damage while frozen?
dunno which wiki you're reading but according to the one i'm reading they used to be weak to missiles after being frozen but only in the gamecube versions of the game and it got later patched out. so yeah you gotta just spam charge beams at them, it's really not that bad

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Bleck posted:

Metroid Prime PSA: If you're trying to 100% the logbook, make sure you scan the Ice Shriekbats in Ice Ruins West before you get the Thermal Visor.

Love how they fixed this for one version of the game and then undid the fix for the trilogy version.

And yeah shame about the Ice Troopers no longer shattering. The Phazon Mine section is already hard enough with that ability.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I forgot that Phazon Elite is a different enemy from Elite Pirate, press F for my log book

but otherwise game complete 100% in 12:12. Remaster good.

E: Also I found all the items on my own except for two in Magmoor. One was the one loving missile tank in the pillar in Triclops Pit which loving sucks because no point in the game brings you close enough to hear the sound in there, or suggests to use the X-Ray Visor in that room, and the pillar isn't even scannable. I think that's like the most missable tank in the game, possibly excepting the one in Chozo Ruins in some random corridor (Training Hall Access) that's just hidden behind a tree that you can't walk through like other similar screening terrain but have to ball through instead, and players will hear the sound, but probably conclude that it's coming from the energy tank in the next room, and when they get that their hypothesis will be confirmed when the sound cuts out, because the sound doesn't actually go through rooms. The other item I missed was the power bomb tank in the one Shrine where you get, I think, the first possible Artifact, in its own purpose-built room, except there's a grate in there you have to remember for most of the length of the game is there and come back to even though nothing marks that room out. It kinda sucks that Prime 1 leans a lot on you having to just remember where random bendezium objects were. gently caress that. Bendezium nuts in y-

Fedule fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 14, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Fedule posted:

E: Also I found all the items on my own except for two in Magmoor. One was the one loving missile tank in the pillar in Triclops Pit which loving sucks because no point in the game brings you close enough to hear the sound in there, or suggests to use the X-Ray Visor in that room, and the pillar isn't even scannable.

I had a rando run where the Boost Ball spawned there.

I was rather annoyed when I got desperate enough to check my spoiler log.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rand Brittain posted:

These color-coded troopers in the Phazon Mines are kicking my rear end. It seems like I can never get through an engagement with one without losing more health than I can ever gain back, and wind up dead before I see any sign of a save room (or even an upgrade).

The ice ones are the worst. In theory they're supposed to be vulnerable to the ice beam, but they seem to take hardly any damage from it. A wiki is telling me I should be able to freeze and shatter them, but in practice they seem to be invulnerable to damage while frozen?

In the original prime, you can freeze and then use a missile to shatter.

In Trilogy they can't be frozen or shattered.

In Remaster you can freeze them, but you can't shatter with a missile.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Prime would benefit a lot from being able to add markers to the map, that's probably the only major critique I have for this remaster.

Some of the Chozo Lore felt off to me so I checked and yep, the original North American release has some different Lore than the PAL/Japan releases and every subsequent rerelease. https://tcrf.net/Metroid_Prime/Text_Differences

Main differences seem to be that originally the Tallon IV Chozo seem to have reached enlightenment and left their physical forms behind for some other dimension, and were ripped back to this dimension when the meteor crashed. That's been removed completely. The other major change is that the original lore had explicit references to Samus as "The Newborn" and "The Hatchling", and they had visions of her coming to save the day. The new lore just has a vaguer prophecy of "The Entrusted One".

I kinda like the original stuff better, the writing in them feels a little more poetic, especially the stuff about The Hatchling. Not a huge deal though. There's also the changes to Pirate Lore we discussed earlier in the thread about retconning the Metroid Prime itself.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Also early artifact of the Elder! :toot:

No second pirate base visit for me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tender Bender posted:

Prime would benefit a lot from being able to add markers to the map, that's probably the only major critique I have for this remaster.

Some of the Chozo Lore felt off to me so I checked and yep, the original North American release has some different Lore than the PAL/Japan releases and every subsequent rerelease. https://tcrf.net/Metroid_Prime/Text_Differences

Main differences seem to be that originally the Tallon IV Chozo seem to have reached enlightenment and left their physical forms behind for some other dimension, and were ripped back to this dimension when the meteor crashed. That's been removed completely. The other major change is that the original lore had explicit references to Samus as "The Newborn" and "The Hatchling", and they had visions of her coming to save the day. The new lore just has a vaguer prophecy of "The Entrusted One".

I kinda like the original stuff better, the writing in them feels a little more poetic, especially the stuff about The Hatchling. Not a huge deal though. There's also the changes to Pirate Lore we discussed earlier in the thread about retconning the Metroid Prime itself.

I don’t really understand why they had to gently caress with the lore so much. I get the Metroid Prime thing but the chozo stuff doesn’t make sense.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t really understand why they had to gently caress with the lore so much. I get the Metroid Prime thing but the chozo stuff doesn’t make sense.

Yeah agreed. If I had to guess, maybe they felt like the timeline was weird, since most of the Lore are carved on the walls of crumbling ruins, it's kind of odd for it to be talking about current events. The old stuff directly talked about how they'd left the physical realm but then had been brought back to shadows of their physical forms by the meteor, so like some of the temples, the cradle containing the Phazon, etc were built by them after returning as semi tangible ghosts? They also talk about "The Hatchling, Samus" and wonder if she was the prophesied hero, so some carvings had to have been from the last decade or so. It also mentions the pirates specifically, who the game otherwise implies have only been here for a (relatively) short time, like a few years at most. Basically some of them feel more like journal entries than temple carvings.

The new stuff cuts out the "we left and now we're back, kinda", and only talks about their savior through a vague, far off future prophecy. It's cleaner, but I feel like they could have kept in more of the original lore framed as visions of the future. "The Hatchling" is just so much better than "The Entrusted One", the latter sounds like a Fire Emblem title the characters call your protagonist so they don't have to say their name.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 14, 2023

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

their rewrites are also pretty clumsy and have weird implications or fail to address some stuff which was originally explained, so no matter which version of the lore you're reading it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny about the exact logic of all the events so they really should've just left it at the originals lol

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What gets me is how a bunch of the artifact clues in the Chozo's long-shot legacy temple are all: "We have hidden the artifact in a tower built by invaders who will arrive after we have died out"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Amppelix posted:

their rewrites are also pretty clumsy and have weird implications or fail to address some stuff which was originally explained, so no matter which version of the lore you're reading it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny about the exact logic of all the events so they really should've just left it at the originals lol

Yeah agreed. The original was so good, the rewrites feel rushed by someone who wasn't the original writer (probably correct), and could have easily addressed whatever they were worried about without completely losing the good prose.

Like these original excerpts rule:

quote:

We Chozo are drifting, tumbling through space and time as the Great Poison eats away at our sanity. We wake in dreams. As the veil of lunacy descends, as past and future blend and shuffle, one image appears and flickers through the landscape, wraithlike. It is the Hatchling, the Newborn, walking the path of corruption, a lone figure shining in the toxic shadows. She comes dressed for war, and her wrath is terrible. Do our eyes look backward, seeing the Hatchling as she once was? Or does she approach even now, arriving in our race's last hour, a savior clothed in machines crafted long ago by Chozo hands? Poisonous clouds drift across our vision.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, in retrospect, the plothole could have been resolved by "the artifacts create a shield this direction, the Space Pirates mined in the other direction, then Metroid Prime escaped back in and the tunnel collapsed. Tough luck go finish the game." The total Chozo lore rewrite sucks though

BisbyWorl posted:

I had a rando run where the Boost Ball spawned there.

I was rather annoyed when I got desperate enough to check my spoiler log.

I had a rando run where the Gravity Suit spawned in the power bomb tunnel in there. I didn't realize I couldn't bomb jump out.

The space jump boots were in the room behind it.

I hadn't saved in an hour.

:negative:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 14, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, in retrospect, the plothole could have been resolved by "the artifacts create a shield this direction, the Space Pirates mined in the other direction, then Metroid Prime escaped back in and the tunnel collapsed. Tough luck go finish the game."

Yeah or even just like... The shield is failing. That's how I originally interpreted it, evidence the Metroid Prime had managed to burrow a path out and was testing the waters outside the crater, adding urgency to the need to take it down before it escapes for good.

Samus can't use whatever path because it's some random tunnel in the rock in any direction, she could spend years combing the surface of the planet or she could open the crater and go in.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DeafNote posted:

Love how they fixed this for one version of the game and then undid the fix for the trilogy version.
I doubt they "undid" it. It was the Japanese version right? It probably got picked up by their play testers and then fixed on a localization branch that never got pulled upstream. That's a kind of thing that's easy to happen even now, and revision control tools were in much worse state in 2002.

Fedule posted:

I forgot that Phazon Elite is a different enemy from Elite Pirate, press F for my log book
Oh right, that's the scan I missed in my most recent playthrough. It's always one.

Prime is a great game but I do think that MP2 and MP3 both improved scans and item discovery. In MP2 the entire scannable surface is highlighted instead of just an icon appearing, so it makes it easier to quickly check a room for any surface you might be interested in later. MP3 straight-up marks items on the map after you visit the Chozo Observatory, so you can go back and grab anything you missed. I kind of wish they had backported those changes to the MP1 engine.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
We have the technology. We have the will. It's time.

Metroid Prime Hunters - Remastered (demo AND full release version)

(I did legitimately have fun with it at the time despite all its faults)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tato posted:

We have the technology. We have the will. It's time.

Metroid Prime Hunters - Remastered (demo AND full release version)

(I did legitimately have fun with it at the time despite all its faults)

The single player was awful but multi was pretty fun for what it was. I liked playing as the dude who could cloak, climb walls, and snipe

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Power bombs work on them, at least in the remaster, so if there's a bunch of them you can use that and take out a few quickly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

RBA Starblade posted:

The single player was awful but multi was pretty fun for what it was. I liked playing as the dude who could cloak, climb walls, and snipe

Metroid Prime, but you instantly die if you fall too far. Also the game is entirely poorly-conceived jumping puzzles. I can’t understand why anyone would consider that awful?????

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fedule posted:

What gets me is how a bunch of the artifact clues in the Chozo's long-shot legacy temple are all: "We have hidden the artifact in a tower built by invaders who will arrive after we have died out"

Lol yea it's like the ancient sith dagger in Rise of Skywalker that lets you navigate by the wreckage of the death star

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, so it looks like they really are immune to everything but the ice beam, even when frozen. Knowing that allowed me to get through the mines, so thanks for the advice.

As far as lore goes, it looks like they wanted to go back to using the same lore in every translation? Honestly the real question is why they changed a bunch of stuff for the NA release in the first place.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so it looks like they really are immune to everything but the ice beam, even when frozen. Knowing that allowed me to get through the mines, so thanks for the advice.

As far as lore goes, it looks like they wanted to go back to using the same lore in every translation? Honestly the real question is why they changed a bunch of stuff for the NA release in the first place.

NA release was the first one. They changed it for every other region

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
It seems to me like the reason they had to rewrite "the Chozo left this plane of existence entirely" is probably because Sakamoto came out and was like "hey yeah that didn't happen." Don't know if he had Dread planned out already back then, but...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bleck posted:

It seems to me like the reason they had to rewrite "the Chozo left this plane of existence entirely" is probably because Sakamoto came out and was like "hey yeah that didn't happen." Don't know if he had Dread planned out already back then, but...
The whole ruins aesthetic in Prime I think was inspired by Metroid II. In the Zebethian Metroids it feels like the Chozo left only "recently".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Miyamoto had them working 80 hour crunch for months. They were not exactly going to have their lore bible in order. That's not a team that's going to bother to point out "wait how did Metroid Prime get in and out of the crater if the barrier is so impermeable", whether there's a possible good answer or not.

Not that they got it in order after either but that's a whole other weirdness. It's still kinda a tall order to get your lore together after shipping. Part of me is sad they didn't seize the opportunity with Remaster to get everything straight once and literally for all, but maybe the janky lore is part of the charm now.

At least we still have Hunter Metroid ds present and correct. I wonder if someone isn't already thinking about slyly updating the Dread shoutout in a notional Corruption remaster...

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Metroid Prime, but you instantly die if you fall too far. Also the game is entirely poorly-conceived jumping puzzles. I can’t understand why anyone would consider that awful?????

Also we ran out of time so every boss is just a variation on the same evil tree.

Between the blurry 3D graphics and controlling it with the stylus/thumb pad, the whole thing feels like a fever dream.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I don't recall the single player being anything memorable but I think the idea of a competitive multiplayer Metroid shooter where they bring back all of those hunter guys and maybe do a balance pass on everything could be really neat.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bleck posted:

I don't recall the single player being anything memorable but I think the idea of a competitive multiplayer Metroid shooter where they bring back all of those hunter guys and maybe do a balance pass on everything could be really neat.

Neat? Sure, but I don't think a sweaty Metroid FPS is gonna attract hardcore FPS fans or even most Metroid fans, especially given Nintendo's...QUESTIONABLE online infrastructure.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I've been playing Goldeneye on the Switch online with friends since it came out. We'd all play, and enjoy, a similar fun thing with cool space guys. It's not complicated

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If we get a Dread follow up, I do hope we get a Ridley fight.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Can't ridley just stay fuckin dead

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MokBa posted:

Can't ridley just stay fuckin dead

no

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Samus gets fused with Ridley's DNA for some reason and now she has wings

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Samus gets fused with Ridley's DNA for some reason and now she has wings

Now that I'm okay with

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MokBa posted:

Now that I'm okay with

*monkey's paw curls* it's the spiritual successor to Other M and every time Samus sees her reflection there's a cutscene of her sobbing in panic

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

*monkey's paw curls* it's the spiritual successor to Other M and every time Samus sees her reflection there's a cutscene of her sobbing in panic

Other M was just a collective fever dream we all had and never actually existed

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I am curious where you'd go with a Metroid 6. All the Metroids are dead, the guys who knew how to make Metroids are all dead, the X Parasite is dead as far as we know (unless there's ANOTHER goddamn Chozo colony studying the loving things), Ridley's dead, the Space Pirates haven't been a going concern since Super Metroid, we're kinda running out of established things to deal with. Unless it's just Samus fighting the Federation as they try and basically do a worse rehash of Raven Beak's plan to nab her Metroid DNA, I'm not sure where we go.

There's only so many Alien movies we can borrow material from. I guess we haven't done Alien 3 with Samus stuck on a prison planet, but it would be weird to do that AFTER we already did the Alien: Resurrection plot back in Fusion.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I believe they said Dread was closing the door on the Metroid story, so the sky's the limit, I guess. When will we see an aged Samus teaching her estranged, hothead son, Brent, how to be a bounty hunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I believe they said Dread was closing the door on the Metroid story, so the sky's the limit, I guess. When will we see an aged Samus teaching her estranged, hothead son, Brent, how to be a bounty hunter?

Right, that chapter of Samus’s story is done. It is tough to say where they’ll go with it now.

Which also makes me wonder what Prime 4 is going to be about. Are they going to ditch Dark Samus & Phazon? Will there be space pirates and metroids? Who the gently caress knows.