Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Instead of spaffing 60 grand on pencils, a Labour government would use that money to hire 5 teachers. #potential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A shameful Scottish food opinions chat that doesn't mention Lorne sausage, the best sausage for putting between two halves of a small round bread argument.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

I could care less about the wrong things that Americans say.

I see what you did there. :rolleye:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What about the special bread - Scottish Plain?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I severely sprained both of my ankles over the weekend, and now "do you have stairs in your house" feels like it has a mocking tone.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The best Scottish food is actually cullen skink.

BTW is "I could care less" a specifically an American mistake? I could have sworn I've heard Brits saying/writing it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What about the special bread - Scottish Plain?

I got myself some plain breid for the first time recently, and although I appreciate its history and roots it's... not great to eat
Skink and Lorne however are pro tier scottish foods

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guavanaut posted:

A shameful Scottish food opinions chat that doesn't mention Lorne sausage, the best sausage for putting between two halves of a small round bread argument.

Slice of Lorne and a tottie scone on a roll, breakfast of champions.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

MeinPanzer posted:

The best Scottish food is actually cullen skink.

BTW is "I could care less" a specifically an American mistake? I could have sworn I've heard Brits saying/writing it.

Yeah I think it's an American thing. Doesn't make sense because afaik if you could care less that's saying you do, in fact, care somewhat.

Cullen Skink is very nice but restaurants need to stop listing it as a starter because gently caress me one bowl of that stuff does you all day and trying to eat a whole main right after it is an exercise in self-punishment

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 14, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I asked what cullen skink was, my brother aptly described it as "fishyssoise".

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The worst thing about vegetarianism is the lack of smoked fish in my life.

Kedgeree, smokies, Cullen skink, salmon. All these smokey delights denied.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I think it's an American thing. Doesn't make sense because afaik if you could care less that's saying you do, in fact, care somewhat.

I’m Canadian and yeah it’s always bothered me because it obviously makes no sense. I just thought I’d heard Brits make the same mistake as well.

quote:

Cullen Skink is very nice but restaurants news to stop listing it as a starter because gently caress me one bowl of that stuff does you all day and trying to eat a whole main right after it is an exercise in self-punishment

It depends on how generous they are with the haddock chunks. In some places you basically get a bit of soup and potatoes with your heaping serving of fish, in others you have to chase the meagre flakes around the bowl. It’s one of my favourite Sunday pub dishes when done right.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Just to add a little flavour to pencilgate, Civil Service offices are already forbidden from providing staff with profligate luxuries such as milk for tea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I mean I know milk in tea is very bad but given that the Civil Service is allowed to destroy evidence of genocide and institutional child abuse I'm surprised they're not allowed that too. In first before the tea even. After shredding the casework for the atrocities in Kenya and Malaya but before the sugar.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

josh04 posted:

Just to add a little flavour to pencilgate, Civil Service offices are already forbidden from providing staff with profligate luxuries such as milk for tea.

This is good because milk is an unnecessary bourgeois excess in tea

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Yep, that's exactly what they do. When I was working in IT procurement for the local council Q4 was when everyone spent up the current year's budget so they wouldn't have to give any back.
There's an apocryphal story, usually from a friend who works for the council (the dad version of my uncle who works at Nintendo) which tells of how departments horde their budgets for the entire year and then frantically try to spend it all on potholes in feb / march, because if the department comes in under budget, the higher ups will cut the budget going forwards by whatever was left over - it's less that they'll have to give it back, and more that they'll permanently lose whatever the surplus amount was.

I have never worked for the council or known anyone who has, but if Keith has just discovered this thing that everyone already knew and is touting it as a scandal; lol, lmao.

If they'd led with the expenses thing they might have tapped into a little of the public anger, but they know their expenses are just as bad. So instead Keith's big scandal shows him off as the middle management briefcase wanker obsessed with keeping the stationery cupboard organised while the shop is on fire.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's an apocryphal story, usually from a friend who works for the council (the dad version of my uncle who works at Nintendo) which tells of how departments horde their budgets for the entire year and then frantically try to spend it all on potholes in feb / march, because if the department comes in under budget, the higher ups will cut the budget going forwards by whatever was left over - it's less that they'll have to give it back, and more that they'll permanently lose whatever the surplus amount was.

I have never worked for the council or known anyone who has, but if Keith has just discovered this thing that everyone already knew and is touting it as a scandal; lol, lmao.

If they'd led with the expenses thing they might have tapped into a little of the public anger, but they know their expenses are just as bad. So instead Keith's big scandal shows him off as the middle management briefcase wanker obsessed with keeping the stationery cupboard organised while the shop is on fire.

This definitely happened in some places I worked, mostly doing govt work.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s how every budget works in every department of every organisation on the face of the planet.

If you don’t spend it then you clearly don’t need it so next year we won’t bother giving it to you, savings!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:whitewater:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Getting sucked off by a columnist, that's what they want these daays

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
When you already can't afford a house but she still suckin'

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

At least that's the face of someone who's not enjoying it.....

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Not apocryphal. I'll personally attest to it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Never got on with sodas here apart from Dr Pepper, but I still vaguely miss Limca and Thums Up.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gummy

Also root beer is top tier and hard to find here. Specifically Mug

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MeinPanzer posted:

I’m Canadian and yeah it’s always bothered me because it obviously makes no sense. I just thought I’d heard Brits make the same mistake as well.

It's not a mistake at all, it's just how language works.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Jedit posted:

Not apocryphal. I'll personally attest to it.

Yeah, my wife works for an organization supporting adults with severe learning difficulties. There's a budget per person, and every year there's a splurge on lots of luxury items (for the service users!!) etc to ensure they don't run under budget for everyone and lose it the following year.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

It won’t, though. It would only come back to haunt him if he had any intention of spending money to fix things.

Nah, no matter what he does his legitimacy lasts no longer than it takes the Tories to get their poo poo back in order. As soon as they've got a serious looking candidate, all press support for Keith "pens pens pens" Starmer will evaporate. He'll be trapped in a pen of his own making

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

That’s put me right off my lunchtime sausages

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

It's not a mistake at all, it's just how language works.

It’s a commonly used mistake.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bahahah, local burger place just upped a bundle from £27 to £46 within a couple of weeks - we sure did beat out that recession huh! What inflation? Noticed that they're tagging 20p on to items every week at the shops too - completely sustainable for people with negative wage growth. Nothing to worry about at all.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MeinPanzer posted:

It’s a commonly used mistake.

It's not a mistake at all, it makes perfect sense in context, and you not seeing the context is your problem.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A little Valentine treat for fans of sinister British Pork

https://twitter.com/mrjoegooch/status/1625434685550759936?s=46&t=ORLOlVzSvC3MoroF8YUx4Q

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

A fancy market stall where I previousy lived did a haggis/black pudding hybrid, which was the best of both worlds.

I used to go to a butcher's that did haggis and black pudding pies, incredible stuff. The Scottish food that has never made sense to me is macaroni pie, that's just odd.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

In finnish soda in general can be referred to as 'limonadi', even coca cola is seen as a form of limonadi.

Bit like how in the American South any soda in general can be called 'coke'. Even Sprite. ;p

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

It's not a mistake at all, it makes perfect sense in context, and you not seeing the context is your problem.

It makes perfect sense in the context of a person not understanding that the phrase is “I couldn’t care less.”

It’s a commonly accepted mistake. Lots of similar mistakes are widely used by people, and yes that’s the nature of language, but it doesn’t make them any less of an error.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MeinPanzer posted:

It makes perfect sense in the context of a person not understanding that the phrase is “I couldn’t care less.”

It’s a commonly accepted mistake. Lots of similar mistakes are widely used by people, and yes that’s the nature of language, but it doesn’t make them any less of an error.

... no, there's no mistake or error here at all, and your stance on it will only make you infuriated with the way language evolves.

Well I guess I could care less.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

endlessmonotony posted:

Absolute loving banger of a username / post combo going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

frytechnician posted:

Absolute loving banger of a username / post combo going on here.

I've got a brand and I'm sticking to it.

Arguing the minutiae of semantics is... well, I wouldn't say fun, but an username / post combo at any rate.