Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alaois posted:

gary kotter

Found him on imdb.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1887204/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

edogawa rando posted:

Probably because you're trying to explain something I was already aware of - which was pretty clearly implied in the very post you'd originally quoted, which raises questions about your ability to make inferences - and being an utter dickhead about it.

The second bit is the key part. Because you are being a dickhead.

But hey, please do continue your crusade as you howl into the void.

if you had literally just posted, a bit ago, "oh my bad that comparison isn't great, i'm just trying to emphasize xyz", no one would have cared and everyone would have moved on. instead you've brought attention to yourself and made like 500 posts. come on

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Online Creators + Reviewers V: you've brought attention to yourself and made like 500 posts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

if you had literally just posted, a bit ago, "oh my bad that comparison isn't great, i'm just trying to emphasize xyz", no one would have cared and everyone would have moved on. instead you've brought attention to yourself and made like 500 posts. come on

I take it you're new to this thread?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

so long gay potter

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Harry Potter and the Continous Meltdown Over A Video Game

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
[radiates beams that makes everyone in this thread insane]

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

edogawa rando posted:

I've got better things to devote that amount of time towards.

:rolleyes:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I used to like Broken Blossoms...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twincityhacker posted:

This just made me realize that Youtube truly *did* follow the footsteps of the film industry. First in small chunks due to file limit size, and then longer and longer videos were possible but people kept to the small videos because they were popular. And now there are complaints that the videos are Too Long like Quinton Reviews 8 hour an 5 minutes discussion of "Victorius" and like people complaining that they need to bring back intermission in the theaters because sitting though movies over three hours is difficult.

I’m watching the recording of a nine-hour long YouTube stream by decino right now. It’s of one single very hard Doom map, and the last three hours are apparently him figuring out one fight. He’s still not done after nine hours either.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Alaois posted:

gary kotter

welcome back kotter

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

I've got better things to devote that amount of time towards.

this is absolutely not true

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Children often have bad taste in fiction, it’s true.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
People talk about the questionable worldbuilding and problematic elements in Harry Potter as I have a PTSD flashback to the shelf full of Piers Anthony books in my high school library

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Birth of a Station (9 and 3/4)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fun hater posted:

lmfao

e: birth of a nation is a 2 hour long movie. the length of it being non-serial seems pretty technologically impressive.

no ones going to argue that it doesnt suck and isnt racist. its just that you dont seem to comprehend that the results of birth of a nation's popularity do not mirror the results of a video game that is already waning in popularity. no one is going to form (another lol) wizard based hate group because of the video game's contents

i mean there's absolutely a contingent of die-hard jk rowling fans that aggressively police trans people while using HP branding. i don't know that they organize widely or call themselves funny names or whatever but the HP brand is pretty inexorably tied with its author in terms of signalling danger for trans people.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

edogawa rando posted:

Secondly, "but the developers" is an easy argument to make when they're lovely people themselves (also, feel free to google lead developer Troy Leavitt and his own history of being a chud shithead), it still puts money into Rowling's bank account, and it'll likely also reinvigorate interest in the Harry Potter novels - which puts money into Rowling's bank account. Which she then uses to enable, encourage and fund people who talk about how trans people need to be violently put in their place, like Helen "We must find a final solution to the trans question" Joyce.

The pandemic already reinvigorated interest in the Harry Potter novels. The game isn't going to encourage a large new bloc of people to go and buy the books who haven't already. It's a game about finally playing out your childhood fantasy of walking around Hogwarts. It's designed to cater to the preexisting book fans first and foremost. I don't think that Rowling should get more money and I think Harry Potter is a pretty lame setting to try to build a big expanded universe IP out of anyway, but this game isn't some shot in the arm that makes or breaks Rowling or Harry Potter.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

guys wtf are you doing!!! kony is still out there!!!!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Davedave24 posted:

People talk about the questionable worldbuilding and problematic elements in Harry Potter as I have a PTSD flashback to the shelf full of Piers Anthony books in my high school library

It makes me feel quiet pride at my 10-ish year old self who thought they were dumb books of just a bunch of made up words and silliness back when the Soceror's Stone came out and it was read to my library group in school. Heh. I'd go on to read only the finest books like Tom Clancy for kids books and then regular Tom Clancy spin-off novels :smug:.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

a tom clancy guy would have simply shot voldemort with a gun

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ivypls posted:

Yeah but it would have taken an entire book because the god-damned Ministry of Magic kept holding him back :freep:.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Ivypls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Harry Potter is too silly. Thank goodness someone stepped up to inject it with some much-needed realism and rationality.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ivypls posted:

I'm reminded of an anime series, Witch Hunter Robin, where the protagonists were a team of folks who dealt with Harry Potter poo poo like that and their solution was literally just guns that shot bullets that the wizards couldn't use magic on it was just "Get owned Voldemort :blastu:" for like 20 episodes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

Harry Potter is too silly. Thank goodness someone stepped up to inject it with some much-needed realism and rationality.

:blastu:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

The irony of being so insane you try to write a "rational" version of Harry Potter that ultimately showcases just how irrational and deranged you are.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It makes me feel quiet pride at my 10-ish year old self who thought they were dumb books of just a bunch of made up words and silliness back when the Soceror's Stone came out and it was read to my library group in school. Heh. I'd go on to read only the finest books like Tom Clancy for kids books and then regular Tom Clancy spin-off novels :smug:.
Those Animorphs and Percy Jackson kids feeling really smug right about now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Scorched Spitz posted:

honestly, they're right

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So outside the usual reasons people always bring up about why HPAMOR is dumb, I just get really annoyed by the whole genre of fantasy engineering wank to which it belongs. It's just such a hotbed of smug nerds thinking they're smarter than everyone because they read a physics textbook once.

It also reminds me of this article I stumbled on a few days ago (The article is from last December) about how the fanfic was a major obsession of one of the CEOs of a crypto exchange that recently collapsed and how the ideology of that fanfiction tinted her activities. All that is kind of interesting, but what I really want to draw attention to is the comments section, which is full of people who were fans of the Methods of Rationality series and how a frequently recurring theme amongst them is that they read it as a teenager growing up in conservative Christian households or communities.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It'd be cool if people could ever pull up examples of YA books or their authors besides Katherine Applegate or Rick Riordan, since nearly every writer contemporary to Rowling in YA fiction has disavowed her or come out in support of trans rights, but that'd involve having read any non HP books and only hearing about how those two are comparatively unproblematic via twitter in the past 4 years.

Heck, even Mercedes Lackey put out a pretty heartfelt apology and retraction for her older crappy remarks regarding trans representation in her books in the wake of the Rowlingpocalypse.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is now a warrior cats thread

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
A few years ago I might have said something to the effect of 'I liked the third book, and wish it could stay on that level'

Now I am just sad I didnt read more fantasy stuff while I was a kid/teen. (I mean did read LOTR, but who hasnt?)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Scorched Spitz posted:

Kathrine Applegate, Michael Grant, and Rick Riordan; the holy trinity of "boomer YA authors who were actually cool and good in their heyday and remain cool and good in their old age".

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Look, I grew up in bumfuck nowhere, it was either those, Goosebumps or the Cat Who... series and guess which one I spent my childhood with.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^efb: :hai:

Nuns with Guns posted:

It'd be cool if people could ever pull up examples of YA books or their authors besides Katherine Applegate or Rick Riordan, since nearly every writer contemporary to Rowling in YA fiction has disavowed her or come out in support of trans rights, but that'd involve having read any non HP books and only hearing about how those two are comparatively unproblematic via twitter in the past 4 years.

Heck, even Mercedes Lackey put out a pretty heartfelt apology and retraction for her older crappy remarks regarding trans representation in her books in the wake of the Rowlingpocalypse.

Some people had very unlucky enviroment for book club/culture. My middle and high school was pretty dominated by Harry Potter with me as one of the few nerd holdouts, a few lone nerds bothering to actually try reading Lord of the Rings, a couple getting into Wheel of Time and then a lot of nerds and teachers who got really into The Dark Tower/Steven King in general which is kind of funny in hindsight.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Scorched Spitz posted:

Look, I grew up in bumfuck nowhere, it was either those, Goosebumps or the Cat Who... series and guess which one I spent my childhood with.

This isn't a gotcha or anything, I just feel like I have to ask to get an idea of what you mean here: your schools didn't have a library in them?

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

^efb: :hai:

Some people had very unlucky enviroment for book club/culture. My middle and high school was pretty dominated by Harry Potter with me as one of the few nerd holdouts, a few lone nerds bothering to actually try reading Lord of the Rings, a couple getting into Wheel of Time and then a lot of nerds and teachers who got really into The Dark Tower/Steven King in general which is kind of funny in hindsight.

Why would you need a book club/culture to read books? It's okay if you didn't feel compelled to read as a kid, but disinterest is different from "not having the resources."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm reminded of an anime series, Witch Hunter Robin, where the protagonists were a team of folks who dealt with Harry Potter poo poo like that and their solution was literally just guns that shot bullets that the wizards couldn't use magic on it was just "Get owned Voldemort :blastu:" for like 20 episodes.

I also recommend Shadow and Bone on Netflix. It is a fantasy show with WW1 era technology and characters explicitly complaining that wizards are becoming increasingly useless now that the enemy just guns them down with machine gun emplacements. There is an early scene in which a carriage full of wizards is ambushed by witch hunters, and it is a pretty even fight because the latter have rifles.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 14, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

That actually gets into something that actually bugs me a lot about online discourse about fantasy fiction: A lot of people, even self-avowed fans of the genre, have really narrow reference pools. Maybe it's just the relative time investment of reading vs. other forms of media consumption, but it feels like a decent chunk of the people who read fantasy novels are really only familiar with ones that have gotten big name movie or tv adaptations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
harry potter was banned by the extremist catholic homeschooling group I was a part of in elementary school because some parent eventually read the line about unicorn blood or whatever so I grew up not being exposed to any bigoted ideologies.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Zeniel posted:

Birth of a Station (9 and 3/4)

Birth of a Nation 3/5ths was my least favorite Leslie Nielsen film.