Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Large Testicles posted:

IDK if it actually means anything but on Finnegan's most recent video he got a signed NOFX flag from a fan that he was stupid happy about and was like, "They're one of my favorite bands."

It could totally be a "RATM is my favorite band" from Paul Ryan thing but I'd like to think good things about Finn.

The thing is, RATM and NOFX aren't death metal bands, they're about what Zack and Fat Mike are saying whereas death metal lyrics are incredibly campy by-and-large. So one saying they don't pay attention to the lyrics, bonus points if Favorite Band title is claimed, tells me they really don't give a poo poo and their record collection begins and ends with, "Now That's What I Call Music" compilations.

tl;dr: Paul Ryan is a basic-rear end white guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rare Brunning good take.

...but also :lol: that he's such a tory and isn't enjoying what he voted for. loving idiot.

"they should COMPETENTLY gently caress over people, not bumble around like dipshits and get found out about how they've been taking money from back handers and just brazenly paying companies they have interests in".

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 13, 2023

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCp7Jl0q0Lc&t=2186s
36:26 if the time stamp doesn't work for you. Heil yeah bruder, I guess. :heritage:

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
At the tail end of 2020 Finnegan went in on this as the soundtrack for some of his videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rQlP6lTSfs.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

wzm posted:

At the tail end of 2020 Finnegan went in on this as the soundtrack for some of his videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rQlP6lTSfs.

*guitar* We're not political but here's political talking points *bad solo*

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Not sure about you but i usually have to queue at the grocery store before 2020.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

wzm posted:

I want that 30 seconds back

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

wzm posted:

ugh. just ugh

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Panty Saluter posted:

ugh. just ugh

shhhh…don’t worry about it

https://youtu.be/wzT989FLPMU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ok Comboomer posted:

i have no idea what you're driving at here

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

i have no idea what you're driving at here

these guys suck eggs but also they are acting out because their world is dead and they have already lost the culture war

some vermin will continue to exploit that for financial and political gain, and they can all certainly do a lot of harm before then, and we must be vigilant and proactive to stop them

but also it’s also pretty difficult for me to get worked up about some sad old men on the internet who are so embittered and alone with their idiot opinions that they need the comfort of a “no, it’s society that’s full of poo poo” chud band to tell them that they aren’t the rear end in a top hat

I still remember when this was a culturally dominant viewpoint, and it isn’t now

DeSantis can ban as many books as he thinks will win him the presidency but the cat is long out of the bag on LGBTQ+ identities and they’re not going to put it back

As Kenshiro would say, they’re already dead. YouTube bands like this are the proof.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 22, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ok Comboomer posted:

these guys suck eggs but also they are acting out because their world is dead and they have already lost the culture war

some vermin will continue to exploit that for financial and political gain, and they can all certainly do a lot of harm before then, and we must be vigilant and proactive to stop them

but also it’s also pretty difficult for me to get worked up about some sad old men on the internet who are so embittered and alone with their idiot opinions that they need the comfort of a “no, it’s society that’s full of poo poo” chud band to tell them that they aren’t the rear end in a top hat

I still remember when this was a culturally dominant viewpoint, and it isn’t now

DeSantis can ban as many books as he thinks will win him the presidency but the cat is long out of the bag on LGBTQ+ identities and they’re not going to put it back

As Kenshiro would say, they’re already dead. YouTube bands like this are the proof.

Bet people in Weimar Germany thought that in 1930, too

Nothing is guaranteed and assumptions like this are what leads to overconfidence.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kastein posted:

Bet people in Weimar Germany thought that in 1930, too

Nothing is guaranteed and assumptions like this are what leads to overconfidence.

fascism's return to America will be because of our ongoing inability to deal with climate change eventually leading to political instability, mass migration, and resource conflict around the world coupled with neoliberals' penchant for unchecked late capitalism and the resulting continued collapse of the middle class, not because of some two bit Kid Rock for obese guys in middle-stage kidney failure

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ok Comboomer posted:

fascism's return to America will be

Wait so... you DON'T think we're in the middle of an obvious and public fascist uprising? Like right now? And haven't been for the past decade or so?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

Wait so... you DON'T think we're in the middle of an obvious and public fascist uprising? Like right now? And haven't been for the past decade or so?

dogg we never left that. if you're under 50 you were born into it. or did you think three decades of New Labour and Third Way Dems was the Thatcher-Reaganites losing? It was their crowning achievement.

I meant like totally unchecked from any electoral accountability, of which we still arguably have a bit

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ok Comboomer posted:

dogg we never left that. if you're under 50 you were born into it. or did you think three decades of New Labour and Third Way Dems was the Thatcher-Reaganites losing? It was their crowning achievement.

I meant like totally unchecked from any electoral accountability, of which we still arguably have a bit

Ah. So more of a fascist background radiation.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

Ah. So more of a fascist background radiation.

https://youtu.be/zyNyHark4xk
pictured: the election of Bill Clinton

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
but really, minus the internet (which is obviously a really big deal) our current reactionary landscape isn't dramatically that different from where poo poo was back in the Reagan days or the H Ross Perot days or the Waco Uprising days or the Oklahoma City Bombing days or the whole Bush 2 administration, Ben Shapiro isn't a dynamic leap forward from what Rush Limbaugh was doing before Satan finally took him, this crop of chuds has been doing its business pretty steadily since the Southern Strategy and Watergate, and they're the progeny of the reactionaries who bombed black churches and put posses together and made blacklists

better to look at political history in arcs spanning 30, 50, 100 years, not decades.That's how people actually live and vote and it reflects the shifting tides of public opinion on major things

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ok Comboomer posted:

but really, minus the internet (which is obviously a really big deal) our current reactionary landscape isn't dramatically that different from where poo poo was back in the Reagan days or the H Ross Perot days or the Waco Uprising days or the Oklahoma City Bombing days or the whole Bush 2 administration, Ben Shapiro isn't a dynamic leap forward from what Rush Limbaugh was doing before Satan finally took him, this crop of chuds has been doing its business pretty steadily since the Southern Strategy and Watergate, and they're the progeny of the reactionaries who bombed black churches and put posses together and made blacklists

better to look at political history in arcs spanning 30, 50, 100 years, not decades.That's how people actually live and vote and it reflects the shifting tides of public opinion on major things

You know what loving happened 100 years ago?

The foundations of the Nazi party were being laid.

I have been called out as Jewish by neonazis quite literally more this last year than I had been in my entire life previously, simply because of my last name.

And it went up by orders of magnitude from 2015 on. It's getting *really* bad now. GOP run states are basically banning women's healthcare, history, and the act of existing as an LGBT person.

You're failing an open book test bro. We know what is coming, and you're insisting it's not really that bad while the fire spreads. You are literally being the "this is fine" dog here and now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kastein posted:

You know what loving happened 100 years ago?

The foundations of the Nazi party were being laid.

I have been called out as Jewish by neonazis quite literally more this last year than I had been in my entire life previously, simply because of my last name.

And it went up by orders of magnitude from 2015 on. It's getting *really* bad now. GOP run states are basically banning women's healthcare, history, and the act of existing as an LGBT person.

You're failing an open book test bro. We know what is coming, and you're insisting it's not really that bad while the fire spreads. You are literally being the "this is fine" dog here and now.

I'm not doing that at all. I'm telling you to pay attention to where the puck is moving and not get hung up on distractions like sad fupa uncle bands

they're pathetic and they're dangerous, but they probably aren't the future

the only thing I've said is that this "heightened" period of reactionary politics has actually been going on continuously since the 70s. That's not a particularly original or controversial take.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 22, 2023

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The current political era is a continuation of policies laid out in the Reagan-Thatcher era. That much is indisputable. But saying it's more of the same is, at best, understating the sharp rise in intensity that we've seen since Trump's political ascension in 2015/2016. At worst, it's missing the point that the mask hasn't slipped further--they've willingly taken it off now.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don’t think anyone’s arguing against anyone else here. Sometimes we get lost in the weeds, but it’s important to keep perspective.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I don’t think anyone’s arguing against anyone else here. Sometimes we get lost in the weeds, but it’s important to keep perspective.

we’re doing the D&D thing where we argue past each other but I think everybody here is largely in agreement.

my intent isn’t to downplay the rise in overt right wing politics over the past few years, I just reject the notion that this is somehow unprecedented or new. Right wing separatists in the 90s literally blew up federal buildings and got into deadly firefights with the FBI.

Bill Clinton, representing the explicit rightward capitulation of the nominally “left/labor” wing of mainstream U.S. politics, only won the presidency with like 43% of the vote because of right wing ticket splitting between GHW Bush and H Ross Perot.

Meanwhile we were in the middle of the original AIDS/HIV response, which could be credibly described as “explicitly genocidal” in its treatment of LGBTQ people, addicts, PoC, sex workers, and other undesirables.

Centrist/Corporate Democrats are really invested in making you believe that Trump is this new anomalous thing that could never have been anticipated or prevented because they need you to buy into the established neoliberal order and political systems that facilitated his rise/this country’s descent.

In the aftermath of the 80s Democrats (along with Labour in the UK and liberal parties around the world) accepted an explicitly Right Wing worldview and framing of contemporary society and economics.

In lieu of providing any kind of alternative, they fell to “there is no problem with their framing, only their competence and execution. We can do exactly what they’re doing, provide you with the same outcomes and ‘solutions’ that they’re promising, but much more effectively and intelligently”.

“Want a national police crackdown on black and brown people’superpredators’? Congressional Dems can help facilitate that. Want revenge for 9/11 against the wrong guysa war of liberation in the Middle East? Elect us and we’ll get this Iraq/Afghanistan project under budget. Want to roll back the mass erosion of civil rights under the Patriot Act/hold Wall St accountable for 2008? Well we don’t think that’s prudent.” They have as much of a hand in boiling this particular frog as anybody else.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 23, 2023

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ok Comboomer posted:

my intent isn’t to downplay the rise in overt right wing politics over the past few years,

Ok Comboomer posted:

uh huh

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

whatever dude, I've said my piece and made some effortposts that I think are pretty clear and concise, I don't owe you anything

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
"I've been caught contradicting myself while trying to backpedal so now I'm gonna try and make it your issue" lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

"I've been caught contradicting myself while trying to backpedal so now I'm gonna try and make it your issue" lmao

nah

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is Patagonia right wing adjacent?

Yvon Chouinard is definitely not. My uncle was a buddy of his and said Yvon's favorite car was a beat up AE82 Corolla wagon. Which my uncle stole as a prank and then it was actual stolen by someone in the midst of said prank. I don't know if they ever spoke after that.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

wzm posted:

I was following Freiburger (the other Roadkill guy) on Instagram as covid took off in early 2020 and got similar vibes from him. I don't remember any blatant, explicit statements about the plandemic or whatever but he was going hard against California's governor over the state's pandemic mitigation measures.

I always thought Finnegan was the cool one :<

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 25, 2023

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

With that facial hair? Dude wears the uniform of the middle aged white right wing car ranters.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I was following Freiburger (the other Roadkill guy) on Instagram as covid took off in early 2020 and got similar vibes from him. I don't remember any blatant, explicit statements about the plandemic or whatever but he was going hard against California's governor over the state's pandemic mitigation measures.

I long ago came to the conclusion that Tony Angelo is the best part of the whole Roadkill crowd

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tomarse posted:

I long ago came to the conclusion that Tony Angelo is the best part of the whole Roadkill crowd

Yup, and he left and is killing it on the Hagerty youtube channel now. Between that and them cancelling Magnante's show (and Tony's replacement being a literal trump flag waving chud) I didn't feel the slightest bit bad about finally cancelling MTOD last year.

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 25, 2023

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

With that facial hair? Dude wears the uniform of the middle aged white right wing car ranters.

This is hard to argue against, if I'm being honest with myself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

opengl posted:

Yup, and he left and is killing it on the Hagerty youtube channel now. Between that and them cancelling Magnante's show (and Tony's replacement being a literal trump flag waving chud) I didn't feel the slightest bit bad about finally cancelling MTOD last year.

speaking of Hagerty:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ok Comboomer posted:

speaking of Hagerty:

I think it's fair, the Carlton was a monster but there was a looooooot of classism mixed in from the bourgeoisie because poors could afford it

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ok Comboomer posted:

speaking of Hagerty:

I mean....they're not wrong?
https://theconversation.com/austeri...ure-cuts-192033

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I'm not saying Hagerty are wrong, I was pointing it out because they were mentioned in counterpoint to chud poo poo and I thought the thumbnail was cool

Given how generally right-of-center and old car culture tends to be in general, stunts like that have a potential to ruffle more feathers than they're worth so I can appreciate the chutzpah

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Ahhhh cool.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Freiburger also has a hatred for electric cars reserved for someone who had their family run over by a FSD Tesla. Half of his instagram posts and replies were anti electric vehicles for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Freiburger also has a hatred for electric cars reserved for someone who had their family run over by a FSD Tesla. Half of his instagram posts and replies were anti electric vehicles for a while.

We're probably within a decade of a having a show about two dudes slapping EV conversion kits into cars and doing sick burnouts with them. He's gonna eat so much poo poo then.

edit: oh god, the future EV equivalent to roadkill is probably gonna be people doing 1000hp EV conversions of early 90s tauruses

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 26, 2023