Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i dont buy it. his dad was probably in the next room watching it on normal broadcast tv.

has anyone tried to find out if the nfl even sells streaming packages to people in the bahamas?

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Blotto_Otter posted:

this is an absolutely moronic, insulting explanation on several levels... and yet I am tempted to believe it, because of course this dude would be as bad at using the internet as he is at playing videogames. I don't necessarily buy it yet, but I find it entirely plausible that someone once showed him how to use a VPN to get around regional lockouts while in the bahamas, and he never understood how that works so he didn't realize it's completely unnecessary for watching the loving Super Bowl from San Francisco

he is a false millennial, shamefully inept at both gaming and the internet

Much more likely he bought the subscription year(s) ago to watch the NFL in the Bahamas (there is perhaps also a price or feature advantage of the "international" version of Game pass over the "domestic" one?). When travelling back to the USA over time he ended up wanting to use his subscription & it didn't work. Rather than buying the other gamepass, he just installed/ used a VPN. Since then, he doesn't even think about it and just mechanically logs into the VPN to access his game pass when he's in the USA.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i watched it with an antenna

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
sbf also doesn't strike me as a guy with any interest in football whatsoever

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Shazback posted:

Much more likely he bought the subscription year(s) ago to watch the NFL in the Bahamas (there is perhaps also a price or feature advantage of the "international" version of Game pass over the "domestic" one?). When travelling back to the USA over time he ended up wanting to use his subscription & it didn't work. Rather than buying the other gamepass, he just installed/ used a VPN. Since then, he doesn't even think about it and just mechanically logs into the VPN to access his game pass when he's in the USA.

did he actually travel to the US that much? I was under the impression that he mostly stayed put in the bahamas because it was considered a more favorable location for him to commit crimes every hour of the day. if he did come back that much, this explanation would paint him equally as stupid imo, because a) where is he staying that doesn't already have a way to watch NFL games and b) he's wasting his time dicking around with a VPN to be a cheapskate about TV subscription plans while embezzling billions of dollars

EricBauman posted:

i dont buy it. his dad was probably in the next room watching it on normal broadcast tv.

to be clear, I think the government should assume this explanation is bullshit, revoke his bail and toss him in jail pending trial (they won't do this), at which point I personally would then choose to believe that the explanation was actually true, because that would be the funniest possible outcome

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shazback posted:

that's really dumb and a stretch of logic when the guy was 100% doing it to try to hide his ongoing efforts to influence witnesses and talk to co-conspirators.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
yeah he's just trying to explain his actions in the worst most confused way possible, like always

"yes your honour i used a vpn, which was strictly forbidden by the terms of my bail, but I'm a big dummy that couldn't work out how to watch the Big Game"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Boxturret posted:

yeah he's just trying to explain his actions in the worst most confused way possible, like always

"yes your honour i used a vpn, which was strictly forbidden by the terms of my bail, but I'm a big dummy that couldn't work out how to watch the Big Game"

smol bean just wants to watch the big game :3:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i bet as a kid whenever he did anything bad he'd give these long improbable tales about why and his parents just went "oh you", falsely giving him the impression that he's this master liar that can talk his way out of anything

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

that's really dumb and a stretch of logic when the guy was 100% doing it to try to hide his ongoing efforts to influence witnesses and talk to co-conspirators.

I'm pretty sure that he's stupid enough to do both...

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/27/sam-bankman-fried-tried-to-influence-witness-through-signal-doj.html

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

how many times do you get to do this before your bail is revoked?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

EricBauman posted:

im positive he's a degenerate gambler

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

theflyingexecutive posted:

how many times do you get to do this before your bail is revoked?

anywhere from 1 to infinity times depending how rich and white you are

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Perplx posted:

im positive he's a degenerate gambler

i mean he lost 60bn gambling.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shazback posted:

(there is perhaps also a price or feature advantage of the "international" version of Game pass over the "domestic" one?)

the nfl also sells a stream of just the superbowl and one of the "perks" of it is you get to watch the superbowl ads outside the us, yes the adverts are presented as a perk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hey a lot of years the ads are more entertaining than the game

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

haveblue posted:

hey a lot of years the ads are more entertaining than the game

not exactly a high bar there

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Shazback posted:

Except most sports streaming services (at least DAZN) have a ton of the common VPN IPs blacklisted

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
once again, i don't know what blackmail material sam's parents have on the people they "convinced" to be their son's attorneys, but there's no way it's worth it. those lawyers are gonna start offing themselves after the first day of trial when sam tries to clear up all those unfortunate misunderstandings unprompted

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

sam's going to be wheeled in to court strapped to a harness, mouth covered, like he's hanibal lector

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Boxturret posted:

sam's going to be wheeled in to court strapped to a harness, mouth covered, like he's hanibal lector

Hannibal’s Lector

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Trillhouse posted:

yeah, the superbowl was on Fox's website and I didn't have to sign into anything to use it and I don't have cable.

sam is so funny.

unthinkable, that would have messed up his nfl game pass stats

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
They will never revoke his bail because he is continuing to commit more crimes that they can prosecute him for later.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Boxturret posted:

At which point Sam starts clicking out Morse code confessions with his teeth or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i though bail existed to dissuade you from committing more crimes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

Hannibal's lectern

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Oil! posted:

They will never revoke his bail because he is continuing to commit more crimes that they can prosecute him for later.

If you keep committing crimes while on bail, the prosecutors have to keep delaying the trial until they investigate all of them, so if you keep committing crimes they can never try you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

normally, yes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HolHorsejob posted:

If you keep committing crimes while on bail, the prosecutors have to keep delaying the trial until they investigate all of them, so if you keep committing crimes they can never try you
Zeno's bail conditions

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

HolHorsejob posted:

that's like the story of the guy sentenced to be executed without knowing the date, who logicked himself into believing that the execution could never actually happen. he was very surprised on the morning they came for him.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EricBauman posted:

gambling; probably with really stupid parleys like “lose money if anyone hits the crossbar, no upside”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

good thing his parents are on the hook for it and not him then

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Hannibal’s Lector

Hannibal Lectorer

Caros
May 14, 2008

Boxturret posted:

We live in a primitive time—don’t we, Ape?—neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it. Any rational society would either kill me or give me my VPN.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

EricBauman posted:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sbf: scams, bitcoins, and football

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

super
bowl
fan

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/14/tech/sam-bankman-fried-remote-internet/index.html
Judge orders Sam Bankman-Fried back to court after learning how he accessed the internet remotely

hehe. he's got court again thursday

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/EleanorTerrett/status/1625601817395531779

if the SEC is trying to shut Circle down they're going after ALL the stablecoins (circle is probably the least scammy of the bunch)

in other words, it is very much an "its happening" moment

edit: perhaps not, as the tweet...and the account...currently appear to be deleted???

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

look i had a hidden stash of money i borrowed from ftx, and i put it all on the superbowl, so i needed to break my bail aggreement to see if i've made everyone whole :angel: