Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Anyway, content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's a bit of a definition question here. I don't know how common this is, but over here, "traffic circles" refer to the mega ones with stop lights at every incoming road, or at the ancient design where cars driving onto the circle have priority over those already on the roundabout. It turns out that is a bad design that has even less throughput than a regular intersection.

A fully signalised roundabout with properly painted lanes actually does provide congestion benefits over a normal roundabout if it's busy enough.

That said, priority on non-signalised roundabout should always be to the people already on the roundabout, because the other way is silly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Doesn't Japan have an unholy mishmash of both voltage systems?

You're thinking of frequency, northeast Japan operates at 50HZ, southwest at 60HZ, both at 100VAC nominal. This is based on a dipshit regional rivalry in late nineteenth century Japan, with East Japan buying German generators, and West Japan American. This makes the whole country's grid incompatible and unable to share power between the two halves, except for a few frequency changing stations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TinTower posted:

That said, priority on non-signalised roundabout should always be to the people already on the roundabout, because the other way is silly.

Guess how the priority works in roundabouts in Russia?

https://drive-to-russia.com/information/rules.html posted:

traffic coming from the right has priority at roundabouts, unless otherwise signposted.

Yep, that's the wrong way.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Guess how the priority works in roundabouts in Russia?

Yep, that's the wrong way.

Dunno about russia specifically but I think in most of europe by default traffic coming from the right has the priority. So roundabouts technically need to have an extra sign like this, otherwise it's just a circular road.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

There are some really bad new traffic circles in the US that I’ve encountered that have lanes (with minimal signage) that require you to turn at the next street rather than a later street. In one case, I accidentally did that and there was no route back except driving 5 miles out of the way, which was even worse because it was a super low-density area where the traffic could not possibly have justified a dedicated turn lane like that.

Some other traffic circles are just really poorly engineered. There was a new one on a state highway where the speed limit is usually 60 miles an hour but the curve on the traffic circle was such that trucks had to take it at less than 10 miles an hour.

If the traffic circles were more like European ones, it would be great.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Meanwhile i'm just begging road designers here to stop making roundabouts try to fit in the same width as 2 lane roads and also stop planting bushes and trees on the sides/islands so I can actually see the cars on the road as I approach, not just when i'm creeping out of the yield area.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Traffic circles are fine when they're one lane. Every time I leave my town I have to navigate this loving nightmare:

and merge across two lanes of traffic in about 50 meters to actually get on the highway.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

mobby_6kl posted:

Dunno about russia specifically but I think in most of europe by default traffic coming from the right has the priority. So roundabouts technically need to have an extra sign like this, otherwise it's just a circular road.

That's right, and they nearly all do. I have never in my life seen a traffic circle in Europe without that sign. I've heard that the big circle at the Arc de Triomphe is one of the stupid ones, but we skipped over it when we visited Paris.

Hence why Russia is notable - the stupid is the rule and the real roundabouts are the exception.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

Traffic circles are fine when they're one lane. Every time I leave my town I have to navigate this loving nightmare:

and merge across two lanes of traffic in about 50 meters to actually get on the highway.

Ordinarily this would be done with an elevated roundabout, or a barbell interchange. They don't work for high density junctions and shouldn't be used for them without lights.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Carbon dioxide posted:

"traffic circles" refer to the mega ones with stop lights at every incoming road, or at the ancient design where cars driving onto the circle have priority over those already on the roundabout. It turns out that is a bad design that has even less throughput than a regular intersection.

A roundabout, on the other hand, is the modern kind, where cars on the roundabout always have priority over cars wanting to enter the roundabout. It is both safer and has higher throughput than a regular intersection.

Therefor, my opinion is that traffic circles are bad while roundabouts are good.

How can you tell what priority ruleset a given roundabout/traffic circle uses?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Same way you do every other part of the road, signs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's a bit of a definition question here. I don't know how common this is, but over here, "traffic circles" refer to the mega ones with stop lights at every incoming road, or at the ancient design where cars driving onto the circle have priority over those already on the roundabout. It turns out that is a bad design that has even less throughput than a regular intersection.

A roundabout, on the other hand, is the modern kind, where cars on the roundabout always have priority over cars wanting to enter the roundabout. It is both safer and has higher throughput than a regular intersection.

Therefor, my opinion is that traffic circles are bad while roundabouts are good.

Interesting, I'm in the US and just use roundabout for everything personally, but my understanding was that traffic circle was just the term for the same thing in some other regions. And yeah, I agree, the basic roundabout described here I is what I pictured when I said they're good.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Same way you do every other part of the road, signs.

I guess that's not very different than something like a "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED" sign at a standard intersection. Still, it feels weird to approach a roundabout and have to look for a sign to see whether or not I need to yield to those already in the circle.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah, the only decently safe way to handle a multi-lane roundabout is using the Turbo design.

Ideally with ridges between the lanes instead of stripes so idiots who don't know how to navigate it don't cause accidents by trying to switch lanes halfway down the roundabout.

Also note on the first picture how the bicycle paths are far enough away from the roundabout exits that a car can safely come to a stop between exiting the roundabout and crossing the bicycle path. Bicycles also have right-of-way everywhere, as indicated by the yield triangles painted on the road (the 'shark teeth').

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Anderson Cooper at bat. He’s looking confident, especially since Rogan’s screwball has caused him a lot of trouble this election cycle. Here comes the pitch! Big hit!!! Cooper’s off like a shot as the ball goes sailing into the circle of trust. He’s around the hill as Gray scoops up the ball and throws it into tox-OH!!! HASAN FUMBLES THE BALL AS COOPER ROUNDS THE TIMES! The toxics are scrambling for the ball now as Cooper approaches Fox, but they can’t seem to get-oh, Pool throws to first as Cooper approaches home and-SAFE! It’s an unearned run for the mainstream media! Oh my lord! Do not go on Twitter tonight, folks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

credburn posted:

I guess that's not very different than something like a "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED" sign at a standard intersection. Still, it feels weird to approach a roundabout and have to look for a sign to see whether or not I need to yield to those already in the circle.

I mean you don't in practice, I've never seen one that wasn't give way to traffic on the roundabout or controlled by traffic lights (which, uh, you should notice)

But that's no different from a normal junction where you need to see who has priority based on the signs or the lights? If you're approaching a weird junction they usually fill the preceding road with "GET IN LANE DICKHEAD, ROAD'S hosed UP AHEAD" signs.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

King Hong Kong posted:

There are some really bad new traffic circles in the US that I’ve encountered that have lanes (with minimal signage) that require you to turn at the next street rather than a later street.

There's one near me that's both a roundabout *and* a 4-way stop. I can't figure it out, it's like they enjoyed the appearance of a roundabout with a nice planter in the middle with flowers but didn't want to confuse people.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

sweek0 posted:

I'm surprised bidets are more popular than the metric system.

I know there's been roundabout talk but I want to point out the 32% of positively deranged people who don't slam dunk the "price at the shelf is the same as price at the till" option. It never fails to baffle me when I hear about the US, to the point where I've asked a number of US acquaintances to confirm if it's a thing or if my leg is being pulled

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carthag Tuek posted:

plus i got a bank loan

How does getting a bank loan affect your taxes? Are loans counted as income or something crazy?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Serperoth posted:

I know there's been roundabout talk but I want to point out the 32% of positively deranged people who don't slam dunk the "price at the shelf is the same as price at the till" option. It never fails to baffle me when I hear about the US, to the point where I've asked a number of US acquaintances to confirm if it's a thing or if my leg is being pulled

It's also a thing in Canada, to the point that price-based radio ads ("Get a burger for just 99 cents!") will sometimes end in a disclaimer that tax is not included, presumably because folks show up to McDonald's or whatever with literally $1 and then can't actually afford anything on the dollar menu.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I live in Oregon where we don't have sales tax, so most things ring up as they are listed, except for things like soda and beer that have a bottle deposit. People have lived here seventy years and will still be confused, confounded, insulted and determined to take a stance against this misdirection whenever their two-for-five-dollars budweiser rings up 5.20. "I ONLY BROUGHT FIVE DOLLARS" is a REGULAR FUCKIN RESPONSE (I am a cashier)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In the US there is a floor of around 25% of people who still think the sun revolves around the earth, and any change to anything is an attack on their freedoms or something.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

credburn posted:

I live in Oregon where we don't have sales tax, so most things ring up as they are listed, except for things like soda and beer that have a bottle deposit. People have lived here seventy years and will still be confused, confounded, insulted and determined to take a stance against this misdirection whenever their two-for-five-dollars budweiser rings up 5.20. "I ONLY BROUGHT FIVE DOLLARS" is a REGULAR FUCKIN RESPONSE (I am a cashier)

A few years ago, Washington state changed how their sales tax worked for nonresidents. Previously, a nonresident customer could fill out an exemption form at the register and then have the sales tax removed at the time of purchase. Now, nonresidents have to keep their receipts and then send in a combined refund request to the state for all of the sales taxes they paid the previous year. Oh, and that's just for the state portion of sales tax, each city has their own sales tax layered on top as well.

As someone who used to work retail in Washington state, it's a good change (that paperwork would always slow down the line), but I can hardly imagine the sort of poo poo fits customers threw when the change first went into effect. Especially folks who lived right across the Oregon border and did a larger chunk of their shopping in Washington than most nonresidents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've had people on this very forum argue that having the price on the sticker be the price you pay is actually bad, for some reason.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Anderson Cooper at bat. He’s looking confident, especially since Rogan’s screwball has caused him a lot of trouble this election cycle. Here comes the pitch! Big hit!!! Cooper’s off like a shot as the ball goes sailing into the circle of trust. He’s around the hill as Gray scoops up the ball and throws it into tox-OH!!! HASAN FUMBLES THE BALL AS COOPER ROUNDS THE TIMES! The toxics are scrambling for the ball now as Cooper approaches Fox, but they can’t seem to get-oh, Pool throws to first as Cooper approaches home and-SAFE! It’s an unearned run for the mainstream media! Oh my lord! Do not go on Twitter tonight, folks!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Paper Tiger posted:

A few years ago, Washington state changed how their sales tax worked for nonresidents. Previously, a nonresident customer could fill out an exemption form at the register and then have the sales tax removed at the time of purchase. Now, nonresidents have to keep their receipts and then send in a combined refund request to the state for all of the sales taxes they paid the previous year. Oh, and that's just for the state portion of sales tax, each city has their own sales tax layered on top as well.

As someone who used to work retail in Washington state, it's a good change (that paperwork would always slow down the line), but I can hardly imagine the sort of poo poo fits customers threw when the change first went into effect. Especially folks who lived right across the Oregon border and did a larger chunk of their shopping in Washington than most nonresidents.

last time I bought stuff in washington I just showed my oregon id and they didn't charge the tax. No paperwork on my part.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

CainFortea posted:

last time I bought stuff in washington I just showed my oregon id and they didn't charge the tax. No paperwork on my part.

Now that you mention it, the only times I had to either have a customer fill out a form, or (years later) fill out a form myself because I was a resident of Alaska shopping in Washington, it was at a Barnes & Noble. I wouldn't be surprised if the paperwork was just part of B&N's bullshit and not a state requirement.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OwlFancier posted:

I've had people on this very forum argue that having the price on the sticker be the price you pay is actually bad, for some reason.

But don't you see it's more convenient for the corporations to run national ad campaigns if they don't have to worry about

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
easier solution: abolish sales tax, and all regressive taxes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ariong posted:

Surely the eye is the catcher’s box.

The filter bubble is the grass line.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

How does getting a bank loan affect your taxes? Are loans counted as income or something crazy?

You get a deduction for interest paid on loans, mortgages, etc.[1] Reported automatically by the bank of course.

[1] https://skat.dk/data.aspx?oid=2244310

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just "did my taxes", which basically consisted of writing a single line with the amount I wanted deducted (for retirement savings, or mortgage if I had it). Strange that this has such low support.

The weird one is the "washer/drier", they're usually kept in the bathroom because we don't have McMansions with 10 empty rooms to put this poo poo into.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Subjunctive posted:

interest payments are deductible (its stupid cause it inflates house prices)

e:fb

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/leeandersonmp_/status/1625197932361183233?s=46

Lee trying to take back the crown of “Britain’s stupidest MP”, it seems.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

credburn posted:

See that also rings a bit weird to me. Why not have the price on the shelf be "Credburn Beer - 1,69 dollars", with a note that says that 9 cents is the bottle deposit, then at the cashier it just rings up as two items, 1,60 (beer) 0,09 (bottle)?
That's literally how it's done here, you just get your bottle money back when you return the bottles, no need to worry at the till.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Carthag Tuek posted:

interest payments are deductible (its stupid cause it inflates house prices)

e:fb

It's stupid to the have-nots and brilliant to the haves. And guess who are the ones with parliament seats?

Yes, we have the same stupid rules in Sweden, including very beneficial rules for people who sold a house with a profit - they don't need to pay the tax immediately but can defer it for a long time.

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/leeandersonmp_/status/1625197932361183233?s=46

Lee trying to take back the crown of “Britain’s stupidest MP”, it seems.

IDGI, which party does he represent, which supposedly climbed 3%?

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Feb 15, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Conservative (the blue line that's dropped from 50 to 27 over the course of the graph)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm reading that tweet as sarcasm, but it's probably sincere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's stupid to the have-nots and brilliant to the haves. And guess who are the ones with parliament seats?

Yes, we have the same stupid rules in Sweden, including very beneficial rules for people who sold a house with a profit - they don't need to pay the tax immediately but can defer it for a long time.

The blue line, the one currently running our godforsaken isle.

It’s amazing how the only thing that’s changed here in the 50 years since this sketch is what hats they wear.