Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Renaming Windows devices is definitely fraught with danger. Too many things read the computer name once and then if it changes they break. Less and less these days, but still something to test extensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

Renaming Windows devices is definitely fraught with danger. Too many things read the computer name once and then if it changes they break. Less and less these days, but still something to test extensively.

Doing so on Hybrid AD joined machines is a sure fire way to gently caress the azure ad part of the device object.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ironically the actual name changes went fine. it was our method of reporting the name changes back to the mypc console that really hosed us. it was something i had done for individual machines with no issue but in retrospect we should have scaled more incrementally than 1 -> 80

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Weedle posted:

ironically the actual name changes went fine. it was our method of reporting the name changes back to the mypc console that really hosed us. it was something i had done for individual machines with no issue but in retrospect we should have scaled more incrementally than 1 -> 80

Live and learn. Next time you won’t make the same mistake, you’ll make exciting new mistakes!

I’d also say it may be worth examining your pc/workstation naming strategy with an eye to transitioning to a scheme where a unique name is based on something like the serial number, but that also may be above your pay-grade. That could be valid reasons to your current patterns, but as you’ve discovered there are always trade-offs.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

SlowBloke posted:

Doing so on Hybrid AD joined machines is a sure fire way to gently caress the azure ad part of the device object.

I have stayed far away from doing any Azure hybrid deployments, mostly actually because of warnings in these very threads, but I'm getting a glimpse of why - how on earth would a device namechange not be reflected up to Azure immediately.

Or rather, what the gently caress is Microsoft doing using the device name as a primary key and not keying off an object ID. Christ.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Live and learn. Next time you won’t make the same mistake, you’ll make exciting new mistakes!

I’d also say it may be worth examining your pc/workstation naming strategy with an eye to transitioning to a scheme where a unique name is based on something like the serial number, but that also may be above your pay-grade. That could be valid reasons to your current patterns, but as you’ve discovered there are always trade-offs.

the reason it is the way it is now is so a staffer or member of the public can call and say like "i need help on computer #5 at [whichever branch]" and we can figure out the netbios name from there. for the public especially we want to make it as uncomplicated as possible to ask for and receive help. we could do it by adding a "public name" field or something to our inventory database and recording both that and the netbios name for each machine, but then we would have to reference the inventory every time we needed to remote into a pc. i like the way you think but i doubt it would be a goer, since it would really only be a significant help once every three or four years when we refresh the public pcs and kind of a hassle the rest of the time

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Go with Location-YearOfRefresh-Position as a naming scheme? That way "PC 05" is always in the same place, and you know that the machine name is "Shitsberg202305" when you get a call?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Like licensing on an uncomfortable number of our lab systems.

We recently switched from a system name based on serial numbers to one based on the order in which each device was imaged. No, this makes no sense to me either.

Then again, at one point our Research environment had 30 PCs with a serial number of "To be filled by OEM" and a dozen more with some variation on "123456789". The corporate, in-house, inventory tool relies on serial numbers being globally unique, because why the gently caress not make a stupid choice for primary key?

We also had twenty-plus machines with a system name of "Beckman Coulter". With the space. Set to workgroup of course.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Weedle posted:

the reason it is the way it is now is so a staffer or member of the public can call and say like "i need help on computer #5 at [whichever branch]" and we can figure out the netbios name from there. for the public especially we want to make it as uncomplicated as possible to ask for and receive help. we could do it by adding a "public name" field or something to our inventory database and recording both that and the netbios name for each machine, but then we would have to reference the inventory every time we needed to remote into a pc. i like the way you think but i doubt it would be a goer, since it would really only be a significant help once every three or four years when we refresh the public pcs and kind of a hassle the rest of the time

You could set up a DNS CNAME to redirect community-03.domain.local to 8946-D2139GFJ.domain.local, and update the CNAME as part of the computer replacement process. That'd cover you for both standard refresh cycles and break/fix drop-in replacements. But maybe your existing toolsets don't place nicely with that, or you may not have the infrastructure in place to accomplish such a thing.

But I was just using your issue to highly the challenges folks have with ANY naming convention. No schema will ever be perfect, so find the one with the most acceptable compromises, and get on with business.

mllaneza posted:

Like licensing on an uncomfortable number of our lab systems.

We recently switched from a system name based on serial numbers to one based on the order in which each device was imaged. No, this makes no sense to me either.

Then again, at one point our Research environment had 30 PCs with a serial number of "To be filled by OEM" and a dozen more with some variation on "123456789". The corporate, in-house, inventory tool relies on serial numbers being globally unique, because why the gently caress not make a stupid choice for primary key?

We also had twenty-plus machines with a system name of "Beckman Coulter". With the space. Set to workgroup of course.

This isn't a "best naming scheme" competition, but you definitely aren't winning.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This isn't a "best naming scheme" competition, but you definitely aren't winning.

I had actually thought it was a worst name scheme competition, which I think we'll do well in.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

mllaneza posted:

I had actually thought it was a worst name scheme competition, which I think we'll do well in.

With that naming scheme, it was imperative to point out you were losing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I have stayed far away from doing any Azure hybrid deployments, mostly actually because of warnings in these very threads, but I'm getting a glimpse of why - how on earth would a device namechange not be reflected up to Azure immediately.

Or rather, what the gently caress is Microsoft doing using the device name as a primary key and not keying off an object ID. Christ.

You can rename PCs in a pure AAD deployment without issues, there's even a button in the portal to do the rename. I suspect the problem comes with the classic AD part of things and nobody really cares enough to fix it and potentially break something else, considering Hybrid should be avoided anyway and there's other ways to have Kerberos auth to on-prem resources without being Hybrid I kind of agree with them that it's not worth the effort.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s one checkbox in aad connect to have device write back enabled, and hooray you have Kerberos auth to on-prem services so yeah there really is no reason whatsoever to do hybrid join.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

devmd01 posted:

It’s one checkbox in aad connect to have device write back enabled, and hooray you have Kerberos auth to on-prem services so yeah there really is no reason whatsoever to do hybrid join.

Device write back is for radius and scep, kerberos requires an Azure AD Kerberos server object.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

DNS meme, but with NetBIOS substituted.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Git and specifically our deployment procedures hate me. Failed to deploy.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Primary user SSN ftw.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Primary user SSN ftw.

I see you were the sysadmin for most colleges in America until 2009.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

we are piloting a "telehealth pod" here at the central library which is a well-lit cubicle with a computer in it for people to have zoom calls with their doctors. the cubicle is designed for privacy, so when someone is in there and the door is closed you can't see or hear them at all. the question i put to you is: how many hours will it be open before someone jacks off in there. i am thinking probably 2 max

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Someone already jacked off in there

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Someone already jacked off in there

if they did they did a fantastic job of cleaning up after themselves. i'm not even mad

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m a fastidious library masturbator

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if only they all were

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

At least put a bucket in there and ask people to keep it in there. Make sure to use kensington locks on any portable devices with short enough cables that they can't fall into the bucket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What is it with SA IT threads and bodily fluid buckets

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

It's part of the spec

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

"When all you've got is a hammer" but the inverse of that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SyNack Sassimov posted:

It's part of the spec

:hmmyes:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

SyNack Sassimov posted:

It's part of the spec

I've never seen 14 pages of user story before...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You know how if you want to undo something in one Excel document but you have two open and you only noticed the mistake you made in one after working in the other for some length of time?

Yeah, that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

You know how if you want to undo something in one Excel document but you have two open and you only noticed the mistake you made in one after working in the other for some length of time?

Yeah, that.

Excel doesn't have different undo buffers for each window?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KillHour posted:

If you use local storage, you are hosed. If you use onedrive/sharepoint you can use the integrated versioning.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Excel has what are probably load-bearing inconsistencies at this point. I'm sure there's several pieces of expensive software that would break if Excel decided to handle multiple open windows in a sane way.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Does Excel have the ability to display sheets side by side? I know Libreoffice doesn't have that feature afaik and it's a pain in the rear end the four times I use it in a year

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's wrong with Google. I was wanting to check out some slopes in the satellite map view and it seemed like I was an idiot because I just couldn't manage to tilt the loving map view. Then I noticed I was signed out. When I signed back it, it suddenly worked again. Why the hell is this feature locked behind a sign-up/login?!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because they make money off having you logged in. So they try to find a point where being logged out is technically functional but making it annoying enough that you give up and log in anyways.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fragrag posted:

Does Excel have the ability to display sheets side by side? I know Libreoffice doesn't have that feature afaik and it's a pain in the rear end the four times I use it in a year

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/compare-two-or-more-worksheets-at-the-same-time-1deed3da-a297-4260-98aa-a7b2d90c81ab

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's wrong with Google. I was wanting to check out some slopes in the satellite map view and it seemed like I was an idiot because I just couldn't manage to tilt the loving map view. Then I noticed I was signed out. When I signed back it, it suddenly worked again. Why the hell is this feature locked behind a sign-up/login?!

It's not locked behind sign in, it's just a buried option and defaults to off. When you signed in it probably remembered your preferences and set them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Combat Pretzel posted:

if its free, you are the product. They can't sell your data as easily if you aren't giving them data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

Apparently it does not.

SlowBloke posted:

If you use local storage, you are hosed. If you use onedrive/sharepoint you can use the integrated versioning.
You can, but that requires a lot more fuckery to recover than "the focused window will undo when I hit Ctrl+Z" does.