Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I wish the GLA came in manual. I love the sound of them.

Lol, the dealer looked at me like I had three heads when I said I wanted an SLK, but with a manual transmission, 10 years ago.

Because god loving forfend you should enjoy driving your sporty car! Only speed! No fun!

Ended up with a Mustang, and it was great for a time, and now I have the Golf R, which is of course brilliant. The formula to make the exact car I would most love seems so simple, and I have money to spend, but no one seems to do it except for VW, and Ford (until they stopped) and Subaru, a bit.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Whelp, Burd Jr the second is on the way and I increasingly can't justify keeping the GTI around. I hate the thought of getting rid of it especially after putting the tune in but them's the breaks. Anyone got a sedan/crossover that would have a similar driving profile? Maybe an EV?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I mean, sedan with the same driving profile as a GTI is a GLI...

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

depends on what the issue is with the GTI; is it a two door? ditching the manual? too small? want more modern safety features?

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I wanted a roomier GTI, and bought an Elantra N, because they go for MSRP, come with a stick, a LSD, and a manual parking brake, and everything else was getting marked up. I see about 28.5 mpg, which is ~10% worse than our GTI, but the trunk and back seat are bigger.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When you guys are looking for a manual, is it strictly the tactile experience of having a physical gear shift attached to the transmission? I’m not asking with any kind of snark, just curious, because I’ve been having a heck of a lot of fun on the GLA45 with manual mode and paddles. Which are, admittedly, shift-by-wire.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
All DSGs and automatics are like a $4-10,000+ bill that's going to come due one day, when the car is barely worth that much. All clutches are a $1500 bill somewhere between 100-200k miles. Being able to bump start a dead car and not feeling like the transmission is a time bomb are worthwhile for me, and I feel like depreciation is lighter on manual cars than autos these days.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Manual makes me feel more connected to the driving experience. It’s just more fun, idk.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

wzm posted:

All DSGs and automatics are like a $4-10,000+ bill that's going to come due one day, when the car is barely worth that much. All clutches are a $1500 bill somewhere between 100-200k miles. Being able to bump start a dead car and not feeling like the transmission is a time bomb are worthwhile for me, and I feel like depreciation is lighter on manual cars than autos these days.
Manual cars also have transmissions, not just clutches though.

I like manuals, but I ended up with a DSG in my GTI because of a buyback, and don't regret it, but I also have a Miata manual and a motorcycle.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I've never seen someone break a manual transmission in a stock car, no matter how old it is. Automatics all fail eventually, and cost a small fortune when they do.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I replaced my transmission in my Celica, so I know the cost. The clutches in DSGs should last the life of the car since it is a wet clutch, and the rest is just a manual transmission.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me it's purely the tactile experience. Love the feeling of shifting, using the clutch, all that — it makes driving more engaging, including just round town driving.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Rusty posted:

I replaced my transmission in my Celica, so I know the cost. The clutches in DSGs should last the life of the car since it is a wet clutch, and the rest is just a manual transmission.

Wet clutch in what some manufacturers call "lifetime" oils that were very involved to drain and change.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rusty posted:

The clutches in DSGs should last the life of the car since it is a wet clutch, and the rest is just a manual transmission.
Not all DCTs (DSG is VW branding) are wet clutch. Ford's infamous Powershit, VW's 7 speed for sub-2.0L engines, the Fiat unit used in a bunch of 2010s FCAs, and Hyundai/Kia's 6/7 speed offerings are all dry clutch.

IMO they should all be wet clutch, but that costs more money so the low end gets the cheaper stuff.

As for why I've chosen manual for my last few vehicles:

1. When enjoying a spirited drive, if I find myself needing a downshift at an unexpected time, I've found even good DCTs like the GTI's to be less predictable than I'd like as far as how the forces are transferred to the vehicle. When I'm working the clutch with my foot I have full control and always have the option to cut those forces to zero in an instant.
2. Anything under 200HP just isn't fun with a slushbox sapping power and making shifts squishy.
3. I don't get stuck in traffic enough for it to be annoying.

That said automatics have also improved a lot in my driving career, back in the 2000s I was legitimately considering a 5 speed swap from a Mustang in my Crown Vic because the 4R70W was that bad even in a land yacht, where a modern 8-10 speed is perfectly sufficient for anything that's built more for comfort than corner carving. Especially in a world where 300 HP is entry level on a lot of models and almost anything with a V8 is north of 400.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MetaJew posted:

Wet clutch in what some manufacturers call "lifetime" oils that were very involved to drain and change.
It's pretty easy, a bit more involved than an oil change for sure, but it is once every 80k miles (VAG 7-speed specifically is my only experience).

wolrah posted:

Not all DCTs (DSG is VW branding) are wet clutch. Ford's infamous Powershit, VW's 7 speed for sub-2.0L engines, the Fiat unit used in a bunch of 2010s FCAs, and Hyundai/Kia's 6/7 speed offerings are all dry clutch.

IMO they should all be wet clutch, but that costs more money so the low end gets the cheaper stuff.
Yeah, certainly there have been bad ones, I think Hyundai also had a dry one. I think though these days, even torque convertors are significantly better than they were when people called them slush boxes.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 14, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

depends on what the issue is with the GTI; is it a two door? ditching the manual? too small? want more modern safety features?

Too small mostly. It’s the reason I bought the drat thing but you can’t hardly put the car seat in the back without the person in front putting their knees to their chin. Modern safety features would be nice as well. I’m not sure why I’m thinking EV, but it would be pretty interesting to have one. Doubly so as we don’t do long distance stuff more than a few times a year anymore.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
CUV isn’t necessarily the answer - smaller ones like the Kona have less space in than a Golf and even some of the next step up are barely larger inside (looking at you CX-5).

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Warbird posted:

Whelp, Burd Jr the second is on the way and I increasingly can't justify keeping the GTI around. I hate the thought of getting rid of it especially after putting the tune in but them's the breaks. Anyone got a sedan/crossover that would have a similar driving profile? Maybe an EV?

The wife went from a 200SX to a Hyundai Accent to a Mazda 3 and got the kid to 15 somehow

What's wrong with the GTI that taking on more debt after having a kid is the right answer? Especially since every non Bolt EV is 50k

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
If the problem is rear facing car seats, and there's only one kid, try putting the seat in the middle so either front seat avoids the worst of it. Infant seats give you more room than the toddler convertibles that can go forward or backwards, and as soon as you hit boosters and forward facing seats, you'll no longer have a problem. Sometimes front seat angle makes a big difference in clearing the headrest part of the toddler seats.

I'm 5'10-11", and don't love having the big toddler seat behind me, but my partner is shorter, so we just juggle things so that it ends up behind her when everyone is in the car. The Elantra doesn't have any issues like this, because it has that little bit of extra rear seat room, but it isn't a huge deal in the GTI either.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The answer is frankly “nothing”. I just hit 70k in it and I’m starting to think about how much longer I realistically have with it. This said, it took me like 3 years to go from 60 to 70 due to the pandemic and WFH so that may as well be functionally infinite. It’s the 5 year car itch.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

How big is the interior of a Kia Stinger? They don’t look small

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

How big is the interior of a Kia Stinger? They don’t look small

Not a hatch. Doesn’t count.

I’m sure it’s reasonable, since it’s a midsize sedan.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A liftback is sort of a hatchback

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

So what do you call it - a liftback like the OG Camry was?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
If we aren't counting liftbacks, should the Civic R count? It's definitely more of a liftback than a hatch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Warbird posted:

manual crosstrek will be slow but it’d make a hell of an all-terrain dadwagon with some tasteful work

but honestly I don’t think you’re gonna do dramatically better than a Golf unless you really size up and go for a bigger crossover/suv/van, and I don’t think you want that.

You could look in the segment and see who has the best interior volume, but a GTI definitely won’t be less practical than a Jetta. I would just keep the GTI.

Like there are dudes having kids and trading in their MX5s and 86s and WRXs for GTIs. The GTI is the more practical alternative

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sell him the Roadmaster. Dude needs space.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MrLogan posted:

If we aren't counting liftbacks, should the Civic R count? It's definitely more of a liftback than a hatch.

:dafuq:

The Type-R isn't a liftback, the FL5 kiiiind of looks like one, but isn't.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the FL5 Type-R is a liftback, while preceding generations are hatchbacks. Though Wikipedia also defines liftbacks as hatchbacks with a roofline slope of less than 45 degrees, so :shrug:

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 15, 2023

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sell him the Roadmaster. Dude needs space.

Wait does someone else here have a Roadmaster

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

manual crosstrek will be slow but it’d make a hell of an all-terrain dadwagon with some tasteful work

The cross trek is slow, drives like poo poo, and is only marginally bigger. They’re not large in size - 7” of length and most of that is in the trunk, which doesn’t help with car seats.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I've got a set of used 18x8 MINI GP3 rims to go on my new to me '21 Countryman John Cooper Works. These rims are forged so they should be a chunk lighter than the current rims and I got them for a song since they suffer from a little bit of paint cracking (which these rims are known for). But I reckon I spend a few hundo on getting them refinished and they'll be peachy. There's no other damage (no scuffs/curb rash).

Plan is to relegate the stock 225 section all-season run-flats to winter and run 235 section Pilot Sport 5 once it warms up. I went and played around with Wheel-Size.com - there are obvious changes to the wheel geometry etc but the only one that gives me pause is the scrub radius. Should be fine though............. right?

Anyone know if I should be concerned about a +10mm change in scrub radius?

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 15, 2023

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The cross trek is slow, drives like poo poo, and is only marginally bigger. They’re not large in size - 7” of length and most of that is in the trunk, which doesn’t help with car seats.

This for sure. My body on frame SUV GX470 is more fun to drive than the manual Crosstrek I used to have. And at least on the year I had they were really annoying in low traction / off road situations cause the traction control would cut the throttle so much it'd kill the engine, so you had to turn it off which left you with all open diffs. The biggest advantage for me over the normal impreza was that I could stand under the hatch without hitting my head.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If the CTR is a hatch the Stinger sure as poo poo counts. Unless you are trying to call it a ‘wagon’.

MrLogan posted:

This has absolutely been my biggest gripe with everyone reviewing the last couple CTRs as hatchbacks. Sportbacks/liftbacks are not hatches or wagons to me and shouldnt loving count. Like corvette coups are not hatch backs even if the trunk is accessed by the same thing that lets you into the cabin of the car.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 15, 2023

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TheBacon posted:

If the CTR is a hatch the Stinger sure as poo poo counts. Unless you are trying to call it a ‘wagon’.

This has absolutely been my biggest gripe with everyone reviewing the last couple CTRs as hatchbacks. Sportbacks/liftbacks are not hatches or wagons to me and shouldnt loving count. Like corvette coups are not hatch backs even if the trunk is accessed by the same thing that lets you into the cabin of the car.

I honestly don’t get that pedantic, just felt like rustling some Jimmies.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I honestly don’t get that pedantic, just felt like rustling some Jimmies.

MY JIMMIES ARE SUFFICIENTLY RUSTLED

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

powderific posted:

This for sure. My body on frame SUV GX470 is more fun to drive than the manual Crosstrek I used to have. And at least on the year I had they were really annoying in low traction / off road situations cause the traction control would cut the throttle so much it'd kill the engine, so you had to turn it off which left you with all open diffs. The biggest advantage for me over the normal impreza was that I could stand under the hatch without hitting my head.

pour one out for 2006, the last year that the CR-V was remotely interesting and fun

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Dr. Lunchables posted:

My buddy let me borrow his 2.5L Rabbit while I work on my car, and while this hatch is explicitly not “hot,” driving around town is a blast. The straight five (!) is just all kinds of torquey, and the gearing is set up to really deliver at city-driving speeds. With no turbo-lag, it’s just pure fun from the second the light turns green.

It’s been snowing lately, and he has it on snow tires, but the wheelbase has made snappy slide turns easy to control and go into and out of. The width is kind of a bummer, because you’re never really in any of the ruts on snowy roads, just kinda drifting between them, like driving an old Jeep Willys on the highway.

Anyway, the Rabbit is fun as poo poo. Here’s a bad picture of it.

Can confirm all of that, traded my 2007 in on my GTI and by the end I could really launch it off the line.

fknlo posted:

I'm shopping for something for our 16 year old and there are a few options with the 2.5L that fall into the price range. I'm always hesitant to buy an old VW even though I love them. It's gonna be hard to not grab an old Civic, Fit, or Corolla instead.

I've heard that engine referred to as one of their more reliable ones.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

It is with a heavy heart I must admit to myself I am leaving the hot hatch world. I love this car, its been my companion since I bought it new in January 2019 thinking I'd run it into the ground. It's taken me across the country several times, driven for me in traffic jams, made me look like a grown-up to the uninitiated, entertained me on backroad jaunts, took me up to Mt Hood all ski season, and has asked nothing in return beyond 87 octane, synthetic oil changes, and a drivers lumbar cushion that was covered by the warranty. I own this thing free and clear, it's been simple to own and wonderful to live with - easily the most hassle-free and relaxing ownership experience I've ever had. I've been agonizing about this for months and am still pretty sure I'll regret selling it even though it is the financially prudent and smart thing to do.

So much has changed since I bought this car. I no longer commute to an office. I've taken up skiing and sometimes there just isn't enough ground clearance on the really snowy days (yes, I run dedicated snow tires). I bought a high mileage Q5 from a friend's dad, intending it to be a mountain beater, but I've found myself enjoying the Q5's soft and quiet ride and not enjoying the cost of keeping two cars that fulfill the role of "daily driver".

I'll miss you when you're gone, Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Technology Package. I hope the next owner appreciates you as much as I do.

The most ironic thing about all of this is that one of the motivations for buying the Hyundai was avoiding VAG products, and four years later here I am getting rid of it for a VAG crossover. Only difference now is that I also have a 2021 Miata RF that can be my everyday runabout, so maybe this isn't such a sad thing after all.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I saw a red GR Corolla on the road just now and it’s so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
special car

I wish they’d make a whole bunch of them but they’ll prolly wind up much rarer than the Type R