Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
can someone who's retained their ability to read more than a paragraph at a time help me out here:
so the oil corpos in the 70's/ 80's had what were, in retrospect, excellent models/ predictions of the course of global warming; did those models predict the end of the current global order/ civilization, and if so, when? Ditto for any more recent models that may have leaked from oil corpos.
tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

no they just correlate gigatons of emissions to ppm to temperature rise

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Are we sure it's not just mental health debt from all the good times?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Stereotype posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwYjFmP0boY

marc maron's new special has this thread vibes

watching this now and lol

doomer

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

MightyBigMinus posted:

no they just correlate gigatons of emissions to ppm to temperature rise

So... three, maybe four election cycles to go (optimistically?)

I also get the impression that an influence campaign goaded the Biden administration into shooting down a routine science balloon (that the us has surely sent equivalents of over China), further damaging us/china relations, and prompting the military to fine-tune their radar only to discover that a shitload of plastic waste is kiting through the jet steam.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Uglycat posted:

So... three, maybe four election cycles to go (optimistically?)

I also get the impression that an influence campaign goaded the Biden administration into shooting down a routine science balloon (that the us has surely sent equivalents of over China), further damaging us/china relations, and prompting the military to fine-tune their radar only to discover that a shitload of plastic waste is kiting through the jet steam.

bullying works

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

OIL PANIC posted:

can someone who's retained their ability to read more than a paragraph at a time help me out here:
so the oil corpos in the 70's/ 80's had what were, in retrospect, excellent models/ predictions of the course of global warming; did those models predict the end of the current global order/ civilization, and if so, when? Ditto for any more recent models that may have leaked from oil corpos.
tia

Look up "limits to growth graph"

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Zodium posted:

always lol when this gets quoted :cheers:

:monocle:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stereotype posted:

the suicide rate stayed about the same though. if anything it also went up, from 3% to 4% (CDC doesn't do more than 1% of precision on anything). all the mental health problems have been steadily worsening for the past decade

Looked it up and you're right. The youth suicide rate was up slightly in 2020 while it was adult suicides that declined. Kids have less hope for the future with every year.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

is the ohio fire still burning?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

toggle posted:

is the ohio fire still burning?

So long as the world is turning

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

OIL PANIC posted:

tia

They had a pretty good idea that it wouldn't be good by the 80s, this is about assessments written in 82 (Exxon) and 88 (shell)

quote:

Shell’s assessment foresaw a one-meter sea-level rise, and noted that warming could also fuel disintegration of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, resulting in a worldwide rise in sea level of “five to six meters.” That would be enough to inundate entire low-lying countries.

Shell’s analysts also warned of the “disappearance of specific ecosystems or habitat destruction,” predicted an increase in “runoff, destructive floods, and inundation of low-lying farmland,” and said that “new sources of freshwater would be required” to compensate for changes in precipitation. Global changes in air temperature would also “drastically change the way people live and work.” All told, Shell concluded, “the changes may be the greatest in recorded history.”

For its part, Exxon warned of “potentially catastrophic events that must be considered.” Like Shell’s experts, Exxon’s scientists predicted devastating sea-level rise, and warned that the American Midwest and other parts of the world could become desert-like.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Learjetz/status/1625316663108460544?s=20&t=CLLaoMdorqeZzQudbprnAQ

posting this here since I don’t think these close ups were in the thread yet

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
thanks for reminding me that all environment-saving efforts made by ordinary people are impotent compared to the damage corporations do with their intermittent "whoopsies"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

OIL PANIC posted:

tia

Idk but by the early 1900s the most advanced statisticians were regularly killing themselves

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's basically a rite of passage for people who do statistical mechanics

quote:

Ludwig Boltzmann, who spent much of his life studying statistical mechanics, died in 1906, by his own hand. Paul Ehrenfest [Boltzmann's student], carrying on the work, died similarly in 1933. Now it's our turn to study statistical mechanics.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
One suicide is a tragedy. A million suicides are statistical mechanics.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Hubbert posted:

One suicide is a tragedy. A million suicides are statistical mechanics.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Homocow posted:

thanks for reminding me that all environment-saving efforts made by ordinary people are impotent compared to the damage corporations do with their intermittent "whoopsies"

Nonsense. Consumers should have voted with their wallets and simply not bought vinyl chloride or any of its derivative products, then this disaster wouldn't have happened

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.wlwt.com/article/east-palestine-train-derailment-ohio-river-water-quality/42885837

quote:

CINCINNATI —
Greater Cincinnati Water Works officials said they're continuing to monitor the water quality of the Ohio River after trace amounts of two industrial chemicals leaked into the river due to a train derailment in East Palestine.

Crews released toxic chemicals into the air last week from five derailed tanker cars that were in danger of exploding and began burning them after warning residents near the Ohio-Pennsylvania state line to leave immediately or face the possibility of death.

Authorities in East Palestine had warned that burning vinyl chloride that was in five of the derailed tanker cars would send hydrogen chloride and the toxic gas phosgene into the air. They said subsequent air monitoring hasn’t detected dangerous levels inside or outside the mile-radius evacuation zone.

Though the spill happened nearly 300 miles from Cincinnati, GCWW says it is part of a network of water utilities that constantly monitor the Ohio River and its tributaries.

Officials said GCWW officials have been working, looking at how they would detect the chemical and how they'd handle the treatment process in Cincinnati.

"During the past few days, GCWW scientists have looked at the size and location of the spill and calculated the travel time of the spill’s plume to reach Cincinnati. This is an advantage of the Ohio River, as its large size helps with diluting a spill, making it easier to treat," GCWW officials said.

GCWW is also looking at how to treat the spill if the plume reaches Cincinnati.

"We know that trace amounts of this chemical can cause minor odors to the water, but through conventional treatment and the use of powdered activated carbon, we can ensure a supply of safe and healthy water remains available to our customers," GCWW said in a statement.

Clermont County Water Resources Department also issued a statement saying they are aware of the train derailment and are monitoring the situation.

"Clermont County has three treatment plants, one of which is located in the southwestern portion of the County where it draws water from the Ohio River Valley Aquifer. This is a groundwater plant and does not draw water from the Ohio River. In an abundance of caution, if the contaminate plume still has concentrations at dangerous levels when it is passing by the area where our wellfield is located, Clermont County Water Resources may temporarily cease the operation of wells nearest the Ohio River bank until it is determined that the contaminate plume has passed," officials said in a statement.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
consumers could've easily voted through the shares in their portfolio and pensions, it seems they didn't?
:thunk:
guess they like the record profits a bit too much, in fact it's hypocrisy to complain about the "death cloud" poisoning a town, river and maybe a few thousand square miles of land

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pretty good graph from the nate hagens podcast a few weeks ago. i think tight oil is the same as shale. everything not conventional crude oil has a lower energy density of course. so talking about peak oil is meaningless, because what is called oil now is much more broad than it used to be.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Koirhor posted:

https://twitter.com/Learjetz/status/1625316663108460544?s=20&t=CLLaoMdorqeZzQudbprnAQ

controlled release

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koirhor posted:

:stonklol:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
how the gently caress is that not a national evaquation order

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://offset.labr.io

https://twitter.com/tegabrain/status/1625300592947257345

https://twitter.com/tegabrain/status/1625300595488997377

quote:

We are developing a first-of-a-kind methodology for transforming industrial sabotage and other forms of direct action into carbon offsets. Browse our repository of case studies or propose a new one for analysis.

Finally some carbon offset credits that are realistic!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

lollontee posted:

It would throw off the vibes and perhaps make Number sad.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

lollontee posted:

it's just some smoke bro

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Koirhor posted:

lmao that this is being completely ignored by your sacred leader

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Koirhor posted:

is there a schnorkles edit

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
drat I've not seen something this forboding since that time the ocean was on fire

:stare:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
welcome to ohio

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Looks bad, I hope being 100 miles to the west of that is good enough

:crackping:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
My country's going through it right now. https://www.rnz.co.nz/
I feel angry, scared and numb but also healthy doses of lol to deal with it all.

lol!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Confusedslight posted:

I feel angry, scared and numb but also healthy doses of lol to deal with it all.

lol!

drat nz getting hosed over again? so much for all the billionaire bunkers i guess?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Microplastics posted:

drat I've not seen something this forboding since that time the ocean was on fire

It’s okay like a half dozen carbon credits will clean that right up!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Confusedslight posted:

lol!

everythings fine

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Microplastics posted:

like, you see this and you choose to not just run the opposite vectoral direction, that's america

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Oh phew. I guess everything is fine then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Confusedslight posted:

Oh phew. I guess everything is fine then.

yup.