Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

If the a glove don't fit you must acquit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Pingui posted:

If the a glove don't fit you must acquit.

If the model is overfitted he must be acquitted

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOlnvGpcbs

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/rahsh33m/status/1625243255725084674
how do people not just push those things over whenever they see them?

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I feel an uncontrollable urge to gently caress with those things. Like what a high school bully must feel when they see a nerd walking around.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

ekuNNN posted:

it doesnt take an explicit grasp of ideology to correctly intuit that robots are owned by rich people and therefore hurting them is a more serious crime than physically harming actual poor human beings

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ekuNNN posted:

they seem so pitiful

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

put a stick through the wheel

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do they get followed by people on foot or something? I dont understand when they dont immediately get covered in graffiti for example

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I assume they have cameras and 9/11 on speed dial

Basically we've made automated Karens

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How does a country with out problem not solve this already?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tokin opposition posted:

can your gramma knit a balaclava?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

it doesnt take an explicit grasp of ideology to correctly intuit that robots are owned by rich people and therefore hurting them is a more serious crime than physically harming actual poor human beings

yup its a felony if you hurt the robot

https://www.iheart.com/content/2022-05-05-2-tennessee-students-arrested-for-attacking-delivery-robot/

quote:

Patrick Callahan, 19, and Brock Garland, 20, are accused of attacking the Starship Technology robot on April 29, after it delivered the latter's food order on Fraternity Park Drive. According to the news outlet, both men tried to interfere with the robot's antenna before Callahan reportedly picked it up and threw it to the ground, causing thousands of dollars worth of damage. The cost to replace the robot is about $5,500.

A video, which has since been deleted, circulated online after the incident that reportedly showed Callahan damaging the robot. The pair were identified through social media posts by members of Starship, who operate the robots on college campuses around the country. Additionally, data from the university's office of information technology placed both students in the area at the time of the incident.

Both Callahan and Garland are facing one county of felony vandalism of over $2,500.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/man-shoots-robot-gets-charged-with-vandalism

quote:

For shooting the robot with a pistol while drunk, Blevins will reportedly be charged with vandalism of government property, a fifth degree felony that comes with a fine of up to $2,500. So I guess that settles it, then: as far as the law is concerned, robots are property. But what's going to happen when robots are able to pass a Turing test, at least on the level of an animal? Will they suddenly go from being property to being, say, pets? And if we start considering the emotional attachment people already get to their robots, things get even more murky.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

eSports Chaebol posted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'll just have to be careful. Approach it with a blanket and then comically drop a net on it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Trabisnikof posted:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/man-shoots-robot-gets-charged-with-vandalism

quote:

Will they suddenly go from being property to being, say, pets?

LOL this guy doesn't know pets are just property under the law.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is it qualified immunity if a cop shoots my robot?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

uber_stoat posted:

is it qualified immunity if a cop shoots my robot?

As always with QI, the question is just "which is better for the cop."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
is it assault on an officer if a cop shoots one and the ricochet hits himself/another cop?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I feel an uncontrollable urge to gently caress with those things. Like what a high school bully must feel when they see a nerd walking around.

You should bully their creators first, so that's covered in the second sentence

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

they have the eleventh day of september on speed dial? :psyduck:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

also the dead giveaway of it being the same image three times because AI people absolutely cannot resist posting every result for a prompt that came out looking passable

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shifty Nipples posted:

they have the eleventh day of september on speed dial? :psyduck:

A superior machine mind will never forget.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Be careful. Think of your future.
This robot is among the tech innovations arriving at WA hospitals - Puget Sound Business Journal

www.bizjournals.com posted:

A Moxi robot moves through the halls of MultiCare Deaconess Hospital in Spokane, where it delivers items such as lab tests and patient medications. It does not interact with patients.

Robots are coming to a hospital near you.

From artificial intelligence to at-home care, Puget Sound-area health systems are embracing new technology and automation tools as they grapple with a nationwide nursing shortage and heightened demand for care. The trend has been in play for a while, but picked up speed amid the Covid-19 pandemic as hospitals faced heavier patient loads.

### Moxi the robot assistant

In Spokane, MultiCare Deaconess Hospital became the first hospital in Washington state to introduce a robot to its workforce.

Moxi, a 4-foot-tall robot created by Austin, Texas-based Diligent Robotics, moves freely through the hospital, delivering items such as lab tests and patient medications. It's perhaps the most advanced use of automation to adapt to the nursing shortage the state has seen.

MultiCare Health System is bringing four Moxi robots to Puget Sound-area hospitals this spring. 

“Nurses and other clinicians spend significant time during their shifts gathering and delivering supplies, including personal protective equipment, patient medications, lab specimens and other items," Jennifer Graham, chief nursing officer at Deaconess, said in a news release. "With Moxi in place, it will ease that burden, allowing our team to do what they do best — take care of our community.”

Nurses can call Moxi to perform a task or assign it chores via text. It's capable of opening doors, operating elevators and avoiding passersby. It does not interact with patients. MultiCare plans to bring another four robots to its Puget Sound-area hospitals in the spring.

### Virtual care for eligible patients

In Tacoma, Virginia Mason Franciscan Health recently launched an at-home recovery program to more quickly discharge patients at St. Joseph Medical Center.

Overcrowding in hospitals has become a major issue for health care providers, with slower patient-bed turnover putting more strain on staff and leading to excessive patient costs. Some hospitals have at times responded by turning away non-urgent patients or delaying non-emergency procedures. 

VMFH's new model arose from a partnership with Nashville, Tennessee-based Contessa Health. Under the program, eligible patients return home and follow a physician-led plan that incorporates both in-person and virtual visits, for which they are provided a tablet computer at no cost. 

“This innovative care model allows us to offer our patients a more convenient way to receive care while increasing our inpatient capacity for patients with the highest acuity," VMFH CEO Ketul Patel said in a news release.

The program is meant for patients recovering from illnesses that would otherwise require space in the hospital, such as Covid-19, pneumonia, congestive heart failure and urinary tract infections. Currently, only Medicare fee-for-service patients are eligible for the program, though VMFH plans to expand access in the future.

### At-home test devices

At Overlake Medical Center & Clinics, the Bellevue-based health system is rolling out hundreds of new at-home test devices to expand the scope of virtual care.

During the pandemic, many patients forewent preventive care and checkups, leading some illnesses to progress unchecked. Now, hospitals and clinics are working through a backlog of demand for preventive care.

Overlakes' TytoCare devices can perform tests such as temperature checks, lung exams and blood oxidation readings.

Overlakes' TytoCare devices can perform tests such as temperature checks, lung exams and blood oxidation readings.

TYTOCARE

Overlake's new devices are from New York City-based TytoCare. The Home Smart Clinic device and accompanying app can perform a wide range of at-home tests, including temperature checks, lung exams, blood oxidation checks and blood pressure readings.

“Our priority for our patients is to provide the best possible personalized treatment, while simultaneously working to raise the bar on quality and access to care,” Kelan Koenig, chief physician executive for Overlake Clinics, said in a news release.

Overlake plans to expand the program throughout the year.
:shepicide:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
those the things that killed darth vaders wife

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cuttlefush posted:

those the things that killed darth vaders wife

yup, unleashing a generation-long age of darkness

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lmao if you think I'm going to let a robot give me an IV or test anything other than my reflex to punch it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m pretty sure the only innovation in the first robot is that it has a face. I saw “autonomous” carts like 30 years ago in a university medical center. (I guess the clinic and hospital had different pneumatic tube systems or something?)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://twitter.com/samleecole/status/1625601017428549637

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m pretty sure the only innovation in the first robot is that it has a face. I saw “autonomous” carts like 30 years ago in a university medical center. (I guess the clinic and hospital had different pneumatic tube systems or something?)

Like many things cyberpunk, it's a very expensive rebrand of a 1980s, or 1890s, technology

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pneumatic tubes are rad as poo poo and don't deserve to be compared to the devils minions

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Pneumatic tubes are rad as poo poo and don't deserve to be compared to the devils minions

they're great. i was obsessed with the things when i was young and would flip the gently caress out when my parents would go through a bank drive through.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Futurama public transport will be real one day and it will be awesome, I will not hear otherwise!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

PostNouveau posted:

Probably fake but ChatGPT insisting it's right about something it's way wrong about and then getting really pissy about being corrected would be evidence of sentience in my book

https://twitter.com/MovingToTheSun/status/1625156575202537474

I believe it because that’s 100% the tone a Microsoft product would take

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

christmas boots posted:

I believe it because that’s 100% the tone a Microsoft product would take

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I want it to be true

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
clicking Help -> Options -> Voight-Kampff Test if i think my assistant chat AI is developing sentience

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

forget about the number of fingers look at that thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

is it assault on an officer if a cop shoots one and the ricochet hits himself/another cop?

Yes, if a cop intends to shoot you and instead kills a bystander or another cop because they can't aim for poo poo and have no sense of firearm safety, you are charged with the consequences.