Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

slurm posted:

Really how bad can a job be if you can do it in sweatpants

Ask the guys at the dick-sucking factory about casual Fridays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
New pay increase offer came through.
The way it works is different increases for different pay grades, in practice the way its applied means that a person on the pay tier below me would end up making about $800 a year more than me, I'd end up making about $250 a year more than someone one step up the rung from me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang. A fresh young hire mentioned watching a coworker who’s been there 20+ years be asked to make a simple Excel sheet, and watched as they took out a piece of paper, ruler, and pen and got to work.

If they've been employed doing that for 20 years, they're smarter than anyone here.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Ask the guys at the dick-sucking factory about casual Fridays

Find a job that you like, and you'll never work a day in your life.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I think you're more likely to get fired for screwing something up than not getting enough done. So when you spend three weeks doing what takes a competent person three hours, you screw fewer things up over time.

Clever. Or cunning? Very low cunning.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
in my experience larger companies will basically do anything to avoid firing people outright unless they really explicitly gently caress up or are actively terrible to their peers/customers/whatever and instead just wait for the next round of layoffs as an opportunity to ax underperformers

(that's for employees. contractors are much more expendable)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

carrionman posted:

New pay increase offer came through.
The way it works is different increases for different pay grades, in practice the way its applied means that a person on the pay tier below me would end up making about $800 a year more than me, I'd end up making about $250 a year more than someone one step up the rung from me.

Is it just that the lower level people are getting bigger raises? Or has the company somehow inverted (very slightly) the pay structure?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

Milling unmalted wheat is a pain in the rear end.

God, that poo poo sounds like loving gravel going through the mill, it's ridiculous. But tasty.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bored posted:

And why the gently caress will nobody give me a job?!?

Everywhere I go I am a peon but never get promoted because there is ALWAYS somebody above me who is literally angry that I’m competent. And there are constantly superiors who don’t even understand how to read, let alone the basics of any given program or OS.

I often feel terrible for tech support at my jobs since superiors are always like,” call tech support “ on something easy. Or there’s the opposite,” No, you can’t call tech support because we have too many phone calls.” When it’s something that MUST be reset by someone in the IT department and the specific issue causes us to not be able to do our jobs and that is why there are now lots of calls holding.

Just so much stupid. So much stupid that get paid far more than they are worth.

Why though!?! Why keep being stupid when they don’t have to be!?!

I’m not mad at anyone in this thread. I’m just super angry at life in general.

A lot of the time management will have been in their position for so long that they know how the previous system (or the one before that) operated and feel more threatened by someone coming in and understanding what they are doing. It freaks them out that someone with any ambition may come along and ruin their fiefdom. I've been lucky since I got here in that all my supervisors were either proficient in what I'm doing and could see I was just trying to do my job well or knew I was there for a specific function and not really a threat to their job. I've worked places where any ambition or acknowledgement that you would want to expand your horizons would be met with hostility and suspicion.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

God, that poo poo sounds like loving gravel going through the mill, it's ridiculous. But tasty.

Yeah, it definitely scared me a bit. Fortunately I just had to mill 50kg.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

my dumb job posted:

We will provide you with a letter so that you nay notify your employee of their resignation.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Do you work at the glue factory or the dog food factory?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cthulu Carl posted:

Do you work at the glue factory or the dog food factory?

My guess is Twitter

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
You nay tell your employee pull their hair back, but they didn't

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So a couple of years ago my company switched payroll providers, to UKG. We had it for one year, and it was so hated that last year we switched to Paycom.

Recently, I did my taxes, and was shocked to find that I somehow owed $1400 to the feds and $300 to the state. No idea why, I always choose the least/zero allowances.

Today I asked a colleague in our Finance dept why I owed so much money out of the blue. Her best guess is that my W4 info didn't migrate correctly from UKG to Paycom, and somehow what should have been a 0 or 1 became a 2.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
UKG is pure dogshit. i have to have two different apps to use it and the functions are just randomly split between them :shrug:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Something is playing just the first 7 notes of the Harry Potter theme randomly every 2-5 minutes and it’s driving me crazy, play the whole song or don’t.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Despite a grain bill of 50% unmalted wheat runoff is going pretty smooth on the witbier today! :toot:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Oh gently caress. Manual grain out was heavy. At least not as gloopy as oatmeal.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I was expecting a nightmare today with the Belgian Wit but things actually went really smoothly! only injury sustained was from grabbing a tea from the refrigerator at the convenience store and somehow skinning my thumb on the way out.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol, my job just opened a posting in the program office for someone to fix all the poo poo I've been complaining about.

Seems like bait.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So a couple of years ago my company switched payroll providers, to UKG. We had it for one year, and it was so hated that last year we switched to Paycom.

Recently, I did my taxes, and was shocked to find that I somehow owed $1400 to the feds and $300 to the state. No idea why, I always choose the least/zero allowances.

Today I asked a colleague in our Finance dept why I owed so much money out of the blue. Her best guess is that my W4 info didn't migrate correctly from UKG to Paycom, and somehow what should have been a 0 or 1 became a 2.

Uh oh. WE just moved to UKG not too long ago. FOrtunately, if they gently caress up my withholding it should only be over a couple of months but, yeah, nobody is happy with the software and for some reason I can't sign into it on my laptop. Only my phone.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Doing taxes in the US is a loving nightmare.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Well my fellow goons, I am happy to report that I landed that sweet job 10 minutes from home. Just waiting on the updated offer letter after asking and being granted an extra week of vacation, then I can give my sweet, sweet notice of resignation. I'm positively giddy, especially as the new job is a 41% raise, offers hybrid work, 401k matching, and much more interesting work to do.

Slow motion death spiral continues at my soon to be former employer. They hired a technical writer three weeks ago and I found out yesterday through the grapevine she's already been fired, no idea as to why. Lead engineer on my project was about ready to bail this past weekend but was talked out of it, I don't imagine he'll stay much longer once I leave. I've been encouraging the other drafter to GTFO, and he has begun the job search in earnest. He isn't too worried as his previous employer stated he'd be happy to take him back any time. The super-long lead, very expensive piece of custom test equipment finally was delivered on Monday, and its absolute garbage. Wobbly welds, lopsided pressure vessel, grinder marks everywhere. I told them to request the certifications of the vendor's welders, a leak test certification, and the WPS's for this thing. Turns out they failed to require or specify any of that in the contract, so they're up a creek with a quarter-million dollar paperweight that took a year to get made. I also found out they've been trying to hire another engineer for 5 months, and have had to revise the job posting twice due to lack of applicants.

In short, lmao.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

Well my fellow goons, I am happy to report that I landed that sweet job 10 minutes from home. Just waiting on the updated offer letter after asking and being granted an extra week of vacation, then I can give my sweet, sweet notice of resignation. I'm positively giddy, especially as the new job is a 41% raise, offers hybrid work, 401k matching, and much more interesting work to do.

Slow motion death spiral continues at my soon to be former employer. They hired a technical writer three weeks ago and I found out yesterday through the grapevine she's already been fired, no idea as to why. Lead engineer on my project was about ready to bail this past weekend but was talked out of it, I don't imagine he'll stay much longer once I leave. I've been encouraging the other drafter to GTFO, and he has begun the job search in earnest. He isn't too worried as his previous employer stated he'd be happy to take him back any time. The super-long lead, very expensive piece of custom test equipment finally was delivered on Monday, and its absolute garbage. Wobbly welds, lopsided pressure vessel, grinder marks everywhere. I told them to request the certifications of the vendor's welders, a leak test certification, and the WPS's for this thing. Turns out they failed to require or specify any of that in the contract, so they're up a creek with a quarter-million dollar paperweight that took a year to get made. I also found out they've been trying to hire another engineer for 5 months, and have had to revise the job posting twice due to lack of applicants.

In short, lmao.

gently caress yeah! gently caress 'em up! Also lmfao

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Super Waffle posted:

. Turns out they failed to require or specify any of that in the contract, so they're up a creek with a quarter-million dollar paperweight that took a year to get made.

LMFAO jesus christ whoever was in charge of procuring that needs to . . . well, I'm not a fan of saying that people should lose their jobs, but at the very least they need to not be writing contracts for equipment.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

I like to call it Toobin Time

#metoobin

Not actively looking for a new job myself but I've been doing interviews anyway to "practice" (and who knows, maybe something great will come along!) but I had a disaster of an interview last week.

First, on MS Teams, thank goodness audio only.
Second, the interview panel was having trouble w/ mics and headset (and so was I., wound up using my gaming headset since my other one wasn't working).
Third, one of the panel members was late, so they had to record the interview, then she showed up in the middle of me talkinng about the first question so that threw anything off.
Fourth, they read six questions from a script like robots, only answered "Hmm.." when I was interviewing.
And finally they ran out of time and instead of saying, "Oh, let's extend this interview a few minutes because this dude obviously has questions" they just ended it and said they'd shoot me an email with everyone's contact info if I had any questions. Then silence...

I hate interviews like that, if you're just polling me for answers let me take a test or whatever. No personality, no off subject banter, etc.

I figured I bombed it but the director reached out to me yesterday for a second interview. (?!?!)

Wound up declining because I could already tell the new position would be a nightmare and if this is how they work for interviews, how would they be as supervisors? Another case where the company doesn't understand that an interview goes both ways.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Site wide email yesterday: "We are not under a boil water advisory but we have bottled water available anyway"
Today after I get my coffee: "Since we still under the boil water advisory, we have bottled water available"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Doing taxes in the US is a loving nightmare.

gently caress. I forgot about that. Every year I forget about America's lovely tax laws.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

gently caress. I forgot about that. Every year I forget about America's lovely tax laws.

I still have to file in the US. It's always such a headache.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Salami Surgeon posted:

Site wide email yesterday: "We are not under a boil water advisory but we have bottled water available anyway"
Today after I get my coffee: "Since we still under the boil water advisory, we have bottled water available"

At least the coffee was presumably heated during preparation. Maybe even long and high enough to be safe, if you're lucky?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I still have to file in the US. It's always such a headache.

That seems so weirdly spiteful - is there any official reason why the US insists on everyone having to file taxes there forever (unless they rescind their citizenship)?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Computer viking posted:

That seems so weirdly spiteful - is there any official reason why the US insists on everyone having to file taxes there forever (unless they rescind their citizenship)?

Grabbing as much money as possible from the underclass so we don't have to tax the rich. Also the IRS will audit a dude making 50k a year and give them consequences, but not billionaires.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao production ended on SMD Line 2 yesterday morning, and production will end on SMD Line 1 sometime early tomorrow morning on 3rd or 1st shift. Permanently. A week ahead of schedule. Wave soldering maybe has 4-6 8 hour shifts left before it reaches end-of-life.

There is maybe enough work to keep us all there another week and a half. My meeting about severance paperwork with HR is at 5:30 in the morning next Thursday, and there is a good chance there will be no work for me or the other guy I'm supposed to stay on with until March 17.

We're legit 2-3 weeks ahead of the permanent shutdown schedule.

Oh well, I gave people a hard date of March 17 for when I'm free, our cat is getting spayed on the 28th and I have no qualms about being a stay at home husband for a few weeks before I jump back into the nightshift manufacturing game.

Gonna miss the best job I ever had.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Verdugo posted:

Grabbing as much money as possible from the underclass so we don't have to tax the rich. Also the IRS will audit a dude making 50k a year and give them consequences, but not billionaires.

Do you still pay taxes to the US if you're resident and paying taxes in another country, or do you just send them a bunch of forms that work out to "zero taxable income or property in the US"? In the latter case it seems a bit wasteful even from the IRS' side.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
pretty sure if you are a US citizen living abroad long term you have to pay taxes to both countries

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I'm working with someone who sends emails like this:

• Segoe Script font, seen below.
  • Bright blue background.
  • Giant picture of herself in her signature, which is obviously airbrushed to hell.

I was more professional posting on internet forums as a teenager, and this is a grown woman.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

William Bear posted:

I'm working with someone who sends emails like this:

• Segoe Script font, seen below.
  • Bright blue background.
  • Giant picture of herself in her signature, which is obviously airbrushed to hell.

I was more professional posting on internet forums as a teenager, and this is a grown woman.

how in the gently caress does anyone deal with that poo poo, ever

it's beyond me and I can't ever work whatever job you do after nearly a decade in actual production manufacturing

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Computer viking posted:

It seems to me that the benefit of our citizenship system is that our citizenship carries substantial benefits/protections and as a cost, you pay tax.

You can always return and get access to Medicare, social security, etc.

Not saying right or wrong, I'm sure expats would appreciate a tax break.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
If my employer ever needs me to explain why I'm completely inflexible on remote work, I can now point them to their own HR email that says they've dropped any COVID vaccination requirements on job postings or onboarding in an effort to boost recruitment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

thathonkey posted:

pretty sure if you are a US citizen living abroad long term you have to pay taxes to both countries

Short answer, yes, but there are a lot of caveats to that.

First off, there is a foreign tax credit. Anything you payed in foreign taxes can be taken as a deduction on your income, which lowers your American tax burden. There is also a foreign earned income exclusion that covers up to ~$100k of income, but you have to have spent the vast majority of the year (11 months I think) abroad.

The tl;dr is that if you're something like an ESL teacher, no, you're not getting double taxed on your pay, but you have some way more complicated returns and you may want to hire someone to do them for you. Or not, depending on how much you trust your own work with that.

I forget what the order of operations is for the foreign tax credit and the foreign earned income exclusion, but I'm pretty sure the FTC applies first. So let's say you're living in Germany. There's a progressive income tax there that tops out at ~40% at ~60k Euro (well, it really tops out at 45% for the really high earners, but the bit ramp up happens in the 50s iirc. It's kinda poo poo how low the curve starts flattening out, to be frank). If you're making 75k Euro and having that eaten down to 45k by taxes, your American taxable burden is about ~$45k (1 dollar = 1.07 Euro right now which make this easy), which means you're well under the foreign earned income exclusion. So in our German scenario you really only start getting taxed on income over about $175,000 (because the German taxes drop it down to <$100k), and you're only getting double-taxed on income above that threshold.

Which sucks, but it makes it a problem for relatively high earners and to be honest if you've got some foreign company that wants to pay you $200k+ to work for them chances are you are in a situation where you have access to the kinds of financial professionals who can figure out additional ways to minimize your tax burden. Maybe pay you through a subsidiary in the US or something. Once you're in the realm of high earner problems a lot of opportunities open up that aren't there for your typical ESL teacher or, I would presume, Japanese brewer.

edit: It's annoying when you're dealing with this poo poo, but to be frank some of it is kind of needed and necessary. You don't want someone who's lived in Europe for their entire adult lives and paid effectively zero income tax drawing social security, for example, but it's also lovely to tell that same person to pound sand and eat cat food if they move back to the US in their 70s.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 15, 2023