Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

War Nerder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

reasonable assumption to make if you've only listened to the Hersh episode since john just kinda vanishes a few minutes in

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i don't blame him i was getting secondhand embarrassment listening to Hersh bust ames' balls

Also the Aris episode is kinda wild. The endless "I'm not touching you!" everybody's going through to avoid another world war is kinda amazing. Like all these grand powers are sorta itching to have another go at it but oops their economies are totally intertwined so going to war would be like cutting off your own arm.

"yeah we need to sanction them but not so much they stop sending the oil" :thunk:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Hersh might be going on This is Hell podcast soon.

The host, Chuck, reached out to him and he agreed in the next few weeks. Then Chuck shared the email exchange he had with Mark Aames about it.

It’s on the latest (chicken) episode at the beginning.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

lmao, even with hearing about how it was, i wasn't prepared for the Hersh
can't submerse the hersh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can't besmirch the hersh

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it was a submarine joke

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that went under my head

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
happy valentine's day i got you seymour hershey's kisses

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jeez, Ames slipping all over the place lmao

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
listened again, hilarious to end with ‘the debt is paid’ from hersh.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm hoping the interview makes it into Other Mark's documentary

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Atrocious Joe posted:

i wonder if Paul Carr even realizes that the War Nerd podcast is still going

He interviewed John about it last year

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

more Hersh interviews:

New Left Review
https://newleftreview.org/sidecar/posts/how-to-blow-up-a-pipeline

Jacobin
https://jacobin.com/2023/02/seymour-hersh-interview-nord-stream-pipeline

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
What are some of yalls favorite episodes so I can make a curated list? \

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The civil war episodes, especially the one about the polish count and the one about how McClellan was a filthy traitor.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

kneelbeforezog posted:

I like all of the Aamer ones.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

kneelbeforezog posted:

The original Mark Ames fanboy interview with Robert Parry

I really like the Annibale episodes, but there's a lot of complaining about them online, so I guess he's an acquired taste?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

The civil war episodes, especially the one about the polish count and the one about how McClellan was a filthy traitor.

This and also the one about Buell and Vicksburg. the civil war series is good as hell

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i haven't listened to a ton of the earlier episodes but these first came to mind

Years of Lead series w/ Annibale

Yeltsin 1993 Coup series

Grand Mosque Seizure w/ Aamer

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Bryter posted:

i really enjoyed this

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nothus posted:

The original Mark Ames fanboy interview with Robert Parry

I really like the Annibale episodes, but there's a lot of complaining about them online, so I guess he's an acquired taste?

he is a middle-aged-to-ageing italian guy who knows 60% of everything in the world and has opinions about 100%

he also seems to have no notes, an aversion to basic podcast structure and a pretty thick accent

i love him as a guest but i can see how he'd rub some people the wrong way

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

who is complaining about Annibale? I'll cut them

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nothus posted:

Only cretins could complain about Annibale

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
308/309 about the Serbian Red Berets with the Empire Never Ended guys are good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

who is complaining about Annibale? I'll cut them

genericnick posted:

Only cretins could complain about Annibale

i don't have the greatest hearing and need subtitles for his episodes

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I also have a hard time understanding Annibale. But I do understand that this deficiency is with myself, not him.

JOHN DARK

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
anyone else constantly get surprised seeing mark ames after listening to his voice for a bit. strapping old man with wee lad nerd voice is such a rare combo. it works too

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Annibale and Carl Zha eps are the best eps. There's a good old one about Chechen military folk music. Any time they talk about poetry is also great - I think there's one about d'Annunzio

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

kneelbeforezog posted:

The Civil war series ia nearly all bangers.

100 Years War with Anibale.

Venetian wars also with Anibale.

Siege of Malta

Battle of Lepanto

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Annibale episodes do universally rule. Also recommend the Imjin War/Japanese invasion of Korea series and Tang invasion of Korea episode.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i really like their syria episodes with that american professor guy who talks a bit about syrian internal politics etc whose name i cannot recall

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Centrist Committee posted:

i really enjoyed this

It's an interesting interview for people who are fans of RWN, but I don't know what Paul was thinking trying to make it a "how to make a successful podcast" thing when John makes so clear he has zero knowledge of or interest in the production or financial aspects of the show lol

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Grevling posted:

Annibale episodes do universally rule. Also recommend the Imjin War/Japanese invasion of Korea series and Tang invasion of Korea episode.

Seconding the Carl Zha eps. I also really like the Sci Fi and Facism episode.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

i really like their syria episodes with that american professor guy who talks a bit about syrian internal politics etc whose name i cannot recall

I don't know if it was Isa Blumi, but his episodes about Yemen was the first time I heard someone spell out how each political party in the US has its own preferred client states in the Middle East.

I highly recommend Episode #64: The Old Iron Dream which is about sci-fi and fascism. It's just a really fun episode and John is clearly having a blast. Also one of my favourite lines from John about how holding up in a bunker with tons of provisions after the apocalypse is for losers and is tactically unsound, but being the leader of the mutant raiders "now that's the dream."

also from the hersh jacobin article

quote:

SEYMOUR HERSH
What’s courageous about telling the truth? Our job isn’t to be afraid. And sometimes it gets ugly. There have been times in my life, when — you know, I don’t talk about it. Threats aren’t made to people like me; they’re made to children of people like me. There’s been awful stuff. But you don’t worry about it — you can’t. You have to just do what you do.

gently caress

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

Joshua Landis?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dreylad posted:

I don't know if it was Isa Blumi, but his episodes about Yemen was the first time I heard someone spell out how each political party in the US has its own preferred client states in the Middle East.

I highly recommend Episode #64: The Old Iron Dream which is about sci-fi and fascism. It's just a really fun episode and John is clearly having a blast. Also one of my favourite lines from John about how holding up in a bunker with tons of provisions after the apocalypse is for losers and is tactically unsound, but being the leader of the mutant raiders "now that's the dream."

The Blumi interview was pretty great in a lot of way. Made me read his book, though that has quite some issues.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bryter posted:

Wonder who the guy was that brought a list of questions and answers. The Shinsengumi guy?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
One thing I'd like to hear Hersh talk about is being "used". Sometimes it's a way to find out something true and a cost of doing business, and sometimes it's something somebody wants out there but it's a lie, etc., how to suss that out, or maybe even somebody would want Hersh specifically to eat poo poo. I'm sure he would be coy to some extent because it's source-adjacent but he's been around long enough that I'm sure he could talk about something from the 1980s or without being super specific, or maybe the source was lovely and burnable enough that basically they're the story at that point.

Or maybe just like a "lessons learned" thing for journalists, whether it's about being used or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

pangstrom posted:

One thing I'd like to hear Hersh talk about is being "used". Sometimes it's a way to find out something true and a cost of doing business, and sometimes it's something somebody wants out there but it's a lie, etc., how to suss that out, or maybe even somebody would want Hersh specifically to eat poo poo. I'm sure he would be coy to some extent because it's source-adjacent but he's been around long enough that I'm sure he could talk about something from the 1980s or without being super specific, or maybe the source was lovely and burnable enough that basically they're the story at that point.

Or maybe just like a "lessons learned" thing for journalists, whether it's about being used or not.

i get the impression that hersh has a serious enough ego that even if he knew of an instance where this was true, he probably would not admit it