Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

If I had a nickel for every PhD horse in this discussion, I'd have two nickels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that if it comes down to treating our politics as a religion and evangelizing people without any regard for whether the poo poo we're saying is true or not, I'd bet that the lineup of career preachers and religious figures who've been packaging politics into their sermons for generations are going to be better at it than we are. On top of that, their message of "oppressing and murdering minorities will bring greatness to America and save the future" is an easier message to sell to the majority than "all of humanity will die if you don't accept some drops in your comfy first-world middle-class standard of living". Without facts, that doesn't mean people are likely to believe anything equally: they'll tend to lean toward whatever's most convenient and appealing.

It's also paternalistic and infantilizing as hell to treat people that way, but that's just a side objection compared to the fact that you're talking about dragging politics into the very arena that the right specializes in.

It’s also, explicitly, an embrace of bad faith argumentation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I love the reaction of the woman to the right and the fellow at bottom right.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1625599476617322499?s=20&t=byO9SF6tHPhWUuw7k_h0WA

https://twitter.com/paulbeattystan/status/1625617296294027301?s=20&t=byO9SF6tHPhWUuw7k_h0WA

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 14, 2023

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Main Paineframe posted:

On top of that, their message of "oppressing and murdering minorities will bring greatness to America and save the future" is an easier message to sell to the majority than "all of humanity will die if you don't accept some drops in your comfy first-world middle-class standard of living". Without facts, that doesn't mean people are likely to believe anything equally: they'll tend to lean toward whatever's most convenient and appealing.

You don't target the middle class, though? It's more like, "the richest classes have convinced you that work is something you do not to find meaning or fulfillment but only because you have to for basic survival, and having established it as something that critical they devalue your work more and more to derive extra productivity from you by withholding necessity that much further."

It's not that far off from what Bernie says all the time, but it's more rhetorical and heated and perhaps most importantly it feeds a confirmation bias in the majority of people that they are a victim. Look at the conservative discourse about media bias and how it never changes no matter how much CNN kowtows to them and you'll see that being told you're a victim is the easy way to votes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump was right, the White House press pool needs to die

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Craptacular! posted:

You don't target the middle class, though? It's more like, "the richest classes have convinced you that work is something you do not to find meaning or fulfillment but only because you have to for basic survival, and having established it as something that critical they devalue your work more and more to derive extra productivity from you by withholding necessity that much further."

It's not that far off from what Bernie says all the time, but it's more rhetorical and heated and perhaps most importantly it feeds a confirmation bias in the majority of people that they are a victim. Look at the conservative discourse about media bias and how it never changes no matter how much CNN kowtows to them and you'll see that being told you're a victim is the easy way to votes.

It’s a hard idea to sell when those who make less than the middle class will literally need to pay more for essentials. If you think otherwise, I got a bridge to sell you…

Kalit fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 15, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fister Roboto posted:

Thank you. Since you're unsure on the matter, do you think that it's better to treat the issue with an abundance of caution, or not?

Few pages back but since this was asked to me before my "chill bro"

The issue is that while I don't believe that anyone who is reporting symptoms is being dishonest about what they are experiencing, there is a bit of a question about whether it's actually the fault of the leak or if it's unrelated and/or psychosomatic. I mean, we're hearing stories of citizens saying that they're suffering moderate to severe respiratory issues and burning eyes within minutes of entering the town. That's an extremely rapid onset of some pretty noticeable symptoms but the same thing isn't happening to any of the reporters or water/air testing monitor staff; and if it's that bad then the cleanup crew should be absolutely incapacitated, which they aren't.

If their symptoms can be linked to the train by their doctors then that's one thing, but absent any indication that the air is actually tainted in a significant way its hard to say that for sure. However it's not for nothing that fear of symptoms can manifest symptoms.

It's also compounded by people hundreds of miles away claiming that the event is causing damage (no buddy you have road salt on your car), or that frankly impossible things are happening like cows dropping dead in masses an unreasonable ways away. So basing "things must be worse than what the tests shows" on these "eyewitness accounts" isn't very reliable.

E. Reset the clock that we apparently need now

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1625635380073574401?t=2rA1AmJgRoWUg4jl0cLfcg&s=19

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 15, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I could see something like injuries caused by initial exposure being exacerbated by whatever, but as with the entire rest of this incident I'm withholding most judgement until we have more info. I mean, look at me opining about something I have a little knowledge in in the Houston derailment and then getting dumpstered with "actually it could be a traffic design fuckup, here's how" :v:

If I am not adequately equipped to talk about train signalization in these individual cases, like hell am I equipped to make authoritative statements about how the EPA is wrong on vinyl chloride.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Lying to get what you want is literally just what politics are.
This isn't true. Before Trump presidents attempted to fullfill most of their campaign promises

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing were way more common than most people realize. It's like when a major celebrity dies, and then news sites continue running death stories for increasingly archaic "celebrities" most people have never heard of. It seems like it's happening more often, but it's just reported on more often.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wayne Knight posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing were way more common than most people realize. It's like when a major celebrity dies, and then news sites continue running death stories for increasingly archaic "celebrities" most people have never heard of. It seems like it's happening more often, but it's just reported on more often.

See also: balloon sightings

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wayne Knight posted:

2016 was probably the worst year for that because it just seemed like one flowed into the other so it felt like loving EVERYONE died in 2016 starting with Alan Rickman at the start of January and then ending with Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds at the end of December.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't understand why anyone would admit to thinking bald-faced lying is ok if it advances leftism. How could they not realize it's going to get thrown back in their face every time they disagree with anyone?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't understand why anyone would admit to thinking bald-faced lying is ok if it advances leftism. How could they not realize it's going to get thrown back in their face every time they disagree with anyone?

As opposed to how people are polite, decorous and in good faith towards leftists now?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I could see something like injuries caused by initial exposure being exacerbated by whatever, but as with the entire rest of this incident I'm withholding most judgement until we have more info. I mean, look at me opining about something I have a little knowledge in in the Houston derailment and then getting dumpstered with "actually it could be a traffic design fuckup, here's how" :v:

If I am not adequately equipped to talk about train signalization in these individual cases, like hell am I equipped to make authoritative statements about how the EPA is wrong on vinyl chloride.

I'll fully admit that I'm a loving idiot and I rarely have any idea what I'm talking about. That's why I think it's important to err on the side of caution, more caution than what is currently being exercised, even if that means asserting that the EPA might not be 100% correct about this. I don't have any scientific data or expertise to back that opinion up, it's borne entirely out of my morals and values. It's nice to be technically correct, but maybe not so much when it means risking human lives.

I don't think the residents should be told it's safe to return until there isn't a shadow of a doubt. In the meantime, they should be handsomely accommodated and compensated for the hardship. It's only a town of 5000 people, it shouldn't be that hard. The governor should also be calling in FEMA to help. What's the worst that could happen if we're too cautious about this?

CuddleCryptid, thanks for the response, but my response to you is basically the same.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

nine-gear crow posted:

2016 was probably the worst year for that because it just seemed like one flowed into the other so it felt like loving EVERYONE died in 2016 starting with Alan Rickman at the start of January and then ending with Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds at the end of December.

I try not to get hung up on celebrity deaths, but Prince and David Bowie passing away in 2016 got to me.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll fully admit that I'm a loving idiot and I rarely have any idea what I'm talking about. That's why I think it's important to err on the side of caution, more caution than what is currently being exercised, even if that means asserting that the EPA might not be 100% correct about this. I don't have any scientific data or expertise to back that opinion up, it's borne entirely out of my morals and values. It's nice to be technically correct, but maybe not so much when it means risking human lives.

I don't think the residents should be told it's safe to return until there isn't a shadow of a doubt. In the meantime, they should be handsomely accommodated and compensated for the hardship. It's only a town of 5000 people, it shouldn't be that hard. The governor should also be calling in FEMA to help. What's the worst that could happen if we're too cautious about this?

CuddleCryptid, thanks for the response, but my response to you is basically the same.

There is no point where anything is safe beyond a shadow of a doubt. At some point someone has to decide what a safe level is, beyond "more caution than what is currently being exercised," because that alone would just be an endlessly shifting goalpost. The EPA has determined some number to be safe, but for some reason some people have decided that number can't be trusted.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not for "some reason", it's because residents of the town have reported medical issues and dead animals.

If beyond a shadow of a doubt is unreasonable, I'm fine with no dead animals.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Duke's cousin fell in with a bad crowd at a young age, you hate to see it. :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zero_Grade posted:

Duke's cousin fell in with a bad crowd at a young age, you hate to see it. :(

He didn’t inherit the title so he became the black sheep of the family

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not for "some reason", it's because residents of the town have reported medical issues and dead animals.

That's never going to happen, there would have been reports of medical issues and dead animals before the train derailed if there had been any reason to report them.

It's also not guaranteed that evacuating until everything is perfectly clear is the least disruptive option, the Fukushima evacuation almost certainly killed more people than would have died with no evacuation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fister Roboto posted:

There are much fewer than 5000 people within the initial "get out now" evacuation. There are much more than 5000 people within the area where randos on twitter are reporting various things and ascribing it to the spill. If we cannot trust the EPA at all, where exactly should the line be drawn? I am not going to presume that twitter randos are a reliable source on... much of anything, but especially the extent of a sensationalized accident. The "you can probably safely return home but here is our ongoing air monitoring" announcement was six entire days ago and I have no reason to believe the EPA measurements are faultier than the anecdotes of people with pictures of dead birds.

https://www.epaosc.org/site/site_profile.aspx?site_id=15933

Currently there is some overlap in terms of assistance response. Norfolk Southern has a hotline/arm, but the EPA and the County Emergency Management Agency are also available. I have no particular idea whether this is the sort of situation where the federal version (FEMA) would help more. I also have no particular idea what sort of assistance is being provided. The tweets I have seen do not either.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

epa regional administrator statement from today: https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/statement-regional-administrator-debra-shore-east-palestine-train-derailment

quote:

“EPA Region 5’s number one priority is – and will always be – the health and safety of communities across the region. That’s why as soon as EPA was notified of the Norfolk Southern train derailment on Friday, February 3, EPA personnel were on-site by 2 a.m. Saturday morning to assist with air monitoring. Since then, EPA has been boots-on-the-ground, leading robust air-quality testing – including with the state-of-the-art ASPECT plane and a mobile analytical laboratory – in and around East Palestine.

Since the fire went out on February 8, EPA air monitoring has not detected any levels of health concern in the community that are attributed to the train derailment. Air monitoring data was provided to state health agencies on February 8 for review prior to the state’s decision to lift the evacuation.

As of February 14, EPA has assisted with the screening of 396 homes under a voluntary screening program offered to residents, and no detections of vinyl chloride or hydrogen chloride were identified. 65 additional homes are scheduled for today. We are continuing to conduct 24/7 air-monitoring to ensure the health and safety of residents.

EPA Region 5 is also working closely with Ohio EPA to determine what impact the spill has had on surface and ground water. State and local agencies are conducting sampling throughout the Ohio River to ensure drinking water intakes aren’t affected, and EPA is continuing to assist the state with sampling efforts at water treatment intake points along the Ohio River.

EPA Region 5 also issued a general notice of potential liability letter to Norfolk Southern to document the release of hazardous contaminants. The letter outlines EPA actions at the site and the potential to hold the railroad accountable for associated costs under EPA’s CERCLA authority.

Earlier today, I affirmed to Governor DeWine that EPA Region 5 will continue to support the state of Ohio as they lead response efforts at the site of the train derailment. Through the coordinated efforts of emergency responders, we will continue to protect the health and safety of all residents.”

For more information, EPA Region 5 has established a dedicated phone line (215-814-2400) staffed by community coordinators and created a web page for residents to stay informed about the most up to date monitoring results

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Edit: Okay, not going to ask how my post for one thread ended up in another. I'm going to blame the app.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 15, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CuddleCryptid posted:

Few pages back but since this was asked to me before my "chill bro"

The issue is that while I don't believe that anyone who is reporting symptoms is being dishonest about what they are experiencing, there is a bit of a question about whether it's actually the fault of the leak or if it's unrelated and/or psychosomatic. I mean, we're hearing stories of citizens saying that they're suffering moderate to severe respiratory issues and burning eyes within minutes of entering the town. That's an extremely rapid onset of some pretty noticeable symptoms but the same thing isn't happening to any of the reporters or water/air testing monitor staff; and if it's that bad then the cleanup crew should be absolutely incapacitated, which they aren't.

If their symptoms can be linked to the train by their doctors then that's one thing, but absent any indication that the air is actually tainted in a significant way its hard to say that for sure. However it's not for nothing that fear of symptoms can manifest symptoms.

It's also compounded by people hundreds of miles away claiming that the event is causing damage (no buddy you have road salt on your car), or that frankly impossible things are happening like cows dropping dead in masses an unreasonable ways away. So basing "things must be worse than what the tests shows" on these "eyewitness accounts" isn't very reliable.

I think the most likely case is that the interiors of some structures, i.e. the homes people are returning to, are contaminated at an elevated level. Not necessarily at acutely dangerous levels or anything, but enough to cause some level of discomfort. The people then understandably freak out, which causes them to misremembered details like how soon and how severe their reaction was upon returning.

Also people returning to their homes are probably more likely to have extenuating health issues than people who have been showing up in the town to work, especially those involved in the clean up and testing. I have to get a yearly respiratory physical for UPS as a designated responder, I don't have to get any medical clearance to rent/buy a place to live.

Which isn't to say that the town is actually unsafe, or the EPA and others are lying/incompetent. Rather that there is likely a mix of extenuating circumstances that are resulting in an overall "safe" for the general area that isn't necessarily true on specific individual cases. Especially since we'll hear about someone who has a reaction, but are extremely unlikely to hear any reports about someone who is having no issues.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tucker officially has the marching orders on the train narrative
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1625675988309868546?s=20&t=uiUew4r1WDaa5jAMrCV9rA

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gyges posted:

I think the most likely case is that the interiors of some structures, i.e. the homes people are returning to, are contaminated at an elevated level. Not necessarily at acutely dangerous levels or anything, but enough to cause some level of discomfort. The people then understandably freak out, which causes them to misremembered details like how soon and how severe their reaction was upon returning.

Also people returning to their homes are probably more likely to have extenuating health issues than people who have been showing up in the town to work, especially those involved in the clean up and testing. I have to get a yearly respiratory physical for UPS as a designated responder, I don't have to get any medical clearance to rent/buy a place to live.

Which isn't to say that the town is actually unsafe, or the EPA and others are lying/incompetent. Rather that there is likely a mix of extenuating circumstances that are resulting in an overall "safe" for the general area that isn't necessarily true on specific individual cases. Especially since we'll hear about someone who has a reaction, but are extremely unlikely to hear any reports about someone who is having no issues.

The EPA has screened 400 homes and not shown elevated levels of the relevant airborne contaminants in a single one so far. That’s obviously not exhaustive, but I’d argue that it speaks against the idea of a handful of specific houses being so severely contaminated as to provoke noticeable reactions in a short time frame.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Baronash posted:

The EPA has screened 400 homes and not shown elevated levels of the relevant airborne contaminants in a single one so far. That’s obviously not exhaustive, but I’d argue that it speaks against the idea of a handful of specific houses being so severely contaminated as to provoke noticeable reactions in a short time frame.

The issues in the homes may not be airborne. Residue on clothing or other items may be non-hazardous while still provoking irritation in some individuals. Again, I'm not saying things are actually unsafe, rather spitballing possible ways people could have adverse reactions while others aren't and the overall testing shows no lingering problems.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

It's also paternalistic and infantilizing as hell to treat people that way, but that's just a side objection compared to the fact that you're talking about dragging politics into the very arena that the right specializes in.

Yeah remember the ugly weirdass time whole liberal democratic groups went all-in on creating a left wing answer to right wing talk radio, starting whole series of channels, giving it the good ol college try for some years

when you pattern your appeal on the right it accomplishes 2 things

- makes your ideology right wing in practice
- you still lose because the right wing is better at it than you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a perfect summation of the conspiracy theorist mindset. It's basically a very succinct and polite summary of the arguments people make against vaccines, fluorinated water, and N95 masks.

I know this is a bit harsh, but it's important to drive home how your exact argument can be used against drat near anything. Don't even really have to modify it, except switching out "EPA" for the name of some other agency or association as needed. It starts by rejecting literally all expertise and data as too unreliable to pay attention to (except for some scattered rumors on Twitter), proclaims potentially dire consequences if those authorities are trusted, and then uses that as an excuse to reject those authorities' recommendations and instead call for doing whatever suits your gut feeling (often wrapped up in meaningless fluff like "morals and values").

It's so broad and general that it could be applied to drat near anything. Literally any public health measure could be opposed using that argument, and it doesn't even stop at public health. The same argument could fit just as well against welfare or deep-space probes, because when you boil off all the fluff, the core of the argument is just "don't trust the experts, that thing they say is safe might not be safe".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Considering that my position is that the response should be more cautious and the EPA isn't going far enough, I think it's fairly disingenuous to equate that with anti-vaxers. I'm also not rejecting all data and expertise. All I said was that I had none of my own to support my argument, which was intended as a good faith admission of the weakness of my argument.

So yeah, I guess if you change the name of the agency, and also do the exact opposite of what I'm advocating, my position is exactly like anti-government conspiracy nuts. You barely need to change anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember when we trusted the experts about Iraq?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
What would be the EPA "going far enough?" Ordering evacuation until... what threshhold has been reached? I actually don't know if the EPA can even order evacuations, I kind of doubt it but IANAL.

The EPA site has a good day-by-day overview of their activities and a Q&A: https://response.epa.gov/site/site_profile.aspx?site_id=15933 They have both stationary and roaming sensors for a bunch of air monitoring and are going house-by-house testing for contaminants.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

We had climate experts from Exxon informing our climate policy for decades at the same time the company knew their PR was all lies. Experts come in a lot of flavors and you have to look at who is paying them. Plenty of experts went in front of cameras for years to say smoking was harmless. Some of them were doctors!

Expertise sits in the world’s most demonic consulting firms, and also the halls of universities and research institutions, but it’s foolish to try and claim all expertise is equal, or even that it is expertise at all, depending on the way it is being deployed.

Expertise is not enough. You have to want the same things I want before I can trust you.

selec fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 15, 2023

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

selec posted:

We had climate experts from Exxon informing our climate policy for decades at the same time the company knew their PR was all lies. Experts come in a lot of flavors and you have to look at who is paying them. Plenty of experts went in front of cameras for years to say smoking was harmless. Some of them were doctors!

Expertise sits in the world’s most demonic consulting firms, and also the halls of universities and research institutions, but it’s foolish to try and claim all expertise is equal, or even that it is expertise at all, depending on the way it is being deployed.

Expertise is not enough. You have to want the same things I want before I can trust you.

Main Paineframe posted:

This is a perfect summation of the conspiracy theorist mindset. It's basically a very succinct and polite summary of the arguments people make against vaccines, fluorinated water, and N95 masks.

I know this is a bit harsh, but it's important to drive home how your exact argument can be used against drat near anything. Don't even really have to modify it, except switching out "EPA" for the name of some other agency or association as needed. It starts by rejecting literally all expertise and data as too unreliable to pay attention to (except for some scattered rumors on Twitter), proclaims potentially dire consequences if those authorities are trusted, and then uses that as an excuse to reject those authorities' recommendations and instead call for doing whatever suits your gut feeling (often wrapped up in meaningless fluff like "morals and values").

It's so broad and general that it could be applied to drat near anything. Literally any public health measure could be opposed using that argument, and it doesn't even stop at public health. The same argument could fit just as well against welfare or deep-space probes, because when you boil off all the fluff, the core of the argument is just "don't trust the experts, that thing they say is safe might not be safe".

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Conspiracy theories are borne of institutional mistrust. Somebody smarter than me said a hallmark of modernity is being let down by an institution you thought you could depend on. I feel like that’s a good read.

Would the people of Flint be conspiracy theorists to mistrust the government’s willingness to protect them? Hell no, they are living through it. Would my fellow citizens of Iowa be dumb to mistrust the government to keep our water clean? No, our water will loving kill you if you swim in the wrong places.

If it’s a conspiracy to believe that we are less safe because our institutions have been corrupted by profit-takers call me Gene Hackman in either The Conversation or the much more fun but less profound Conspiracy Theory.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

selec posted:

That’s extremely tribal. It’s also extremely narrow and self defeating. It also eliminates critique aimed at one’s self.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s extremely tribal. It’s also extremely narrow and self defeating. It also eliminates critique aimed at one’s self.

If my project is to tear down capitalism and build something better, it is very difficult to find common ground with people slapping bandaids on the murderous brute I’m trying to euthanize.

And yes, it is tribal, that’s another word I guess for class solidarity, but I’ll take it. The people who have enough money to contemplate schemes of regulatory capture and buy senators to do their bidding don’t have my best interests in mind! I don’t think working with them will produce anything positive.

It’s not self-defeating, it’s self-liberating. My project isn’t to create a world where rich people are still comfortable. Why would I help with that kind of project if I’m not rich?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

selec posted:

If my project is to tear down capitalism and build something better, it is very difficult to find common ground with people slapping bandaids on the murderous brute I’m trying to euthanize.

And yes, it is tribal, that’s another word I guess for class solidarity, but I’ll take it. The people who have enough money to contemplate schemes of regulatory capture and buy senators to do their bidding don’t have my best interests in mind! I don’t think working with them will produce anything positive.

It’s not self-defeating, it’s self-liberating. My project isn’t to create a world where rich people are still comfortable. Why would I help with that kind of project if I’m not rich?

Okay, but terminally online solipsism/nihilism that dismisses any expertise, data, institutions etc that you feel don't agree with your own internal ideology does not actually make for interesting discussion. If you have no interest in good-faith engagement with ideas that conflict with your own, then you should probably stop trying to post in the debate forum.

edit: oh and, the project to euthanize capitalism is not occurring on this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

Okay, but terminally online solipsism/nihilism that dismisses any expertise, data, institutions etc that you feel don't agree with your own internal ideology does not actually make for interesting discussion. If you have no interest in good-faith engagement with ideas that conflict with your own, then you should probably stop trying to post in the debate forum.

edit: oh and, the project to euthanize capitalism is not occurring on this forum.

I don’t distrust all experts, but I’m definitely wary of a government that has repeatedly allowed what should be things it does well to turn into disasters. Our military runs around overseas losing wars, FEMA completely screws over disaster victims in situations like Katrina, the entire months-long debacle of messaging around COVID, it just goes on and on. It seems foolish to trust experts, when they tell me not to believe what I’m seeing.

There are experts I trust: the people in Iowa who talk about how unbelievably lovely our water quality is work in universities in this state. I can discern pretty easily who’s bullshitting and who’s not. But the official experts tell a different story. The ones who get hired have cultivated an acceptable public rhetoric, which is not the same as a truthful one. Those aren’t necessarily definitionally opposed rhetorical structures, but it seems more and more impossible to straddle that breach. Obama faked drinking that glass of water, which experts was he listening to when he did that? Truthful ones, or acceptable ones? Experts on what was really in that glass, or PR pros?

I am interested in discussion, I just feel like there’s an interesting and disturbing amount of conditional trust thrown around in our society when the idea of conditional trust is morally repellant to me. Trust or don’t, it makes things much clearer, from where I’m sitting. I don’t trust the government by default, and I believe that should be an acceptable position to take in a debate forum about the US, knowing what has been done in this country by the government to its citizens in the name of science, God or profit. Again: do the people of Flint owe the government their trust? Would you try to even convince them of that? Are they irrational because their lived experiences have shown them to be unimportant to the people in power, let down over and over again? I would love to hear an answer to this specific question, it’s no longer rhetorical.

Lastly, are you saying that discussions about political economy are off-limits? I don’t want to break the rules but “I’m a communist and I desire a different form of government” seems like it’s a reasonable position for an American to take considering Eugene Debs ran for president.

Edit:

And specifically to your point about accepting data or rhetoric from institutions that are ideologically opposed, yeah, everybody does that! We all have outlets or sources we inherently do not trust. I don’t go immediately check to see what the Heritage Foundation is saying about trans rights; I go to trans people. It’s not weird, it’s just seems weird because while CNN and Heritage Foundation and the EPA aren’t occupying the same rhetorical and ideological space, to a leftist they seem much closer together than they do to someone less left.

selec fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 15, 2023