Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

lol sorta true, web TV (cant read poo poo on CRTs!), windows CE (limped on way too long because their only competition was Palm Pilot for a while), Win95 Active Desktop (computers too slow/no broadband yet).

Gamepass is the only recent thing I can think of where things just lined up perfectly for them and they weren't too late or early for once.

Xbox Live was Seganet 2 and it was a hit in part because it was built around broadband. The entire experience was way better than what Dreamcast could do with a service that was built to accommodate dialup. The timing was just right to grow XBL alongside broadband adoption, which was starting to take off in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

If the deal between Microsoft and Activision falls through, I wonder what the possibility is of Activision working out a deal to have their games on Game Pass anyways. Although I don't really understand what the U.S. government, or governments in the U.K. and Europe can actually do to stop the merger. Other than voicing concerns, it seems like there isn't actually any legal recourse they have? I haven't been able to find anyone who can break down the whole thing and explain it or why any of this matters.

The FTC is the agency that can block mergers under antitrust law. They’ve almost never done this in recent decades but the current head of the FTC is Lina Khan, a progressive antitrust enthusiast, and this case looks like a good battle for her to pick. Not guaranteed it will be blocked but much more likely than historically would have been

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

icantfindaname posted:

The FTC is the agency that can block mergers under antitrust law. They’ve almost never done this in recent decades but the current head of the FTC is Lina Khan, a progressive antitrust enthusiast, and this case looks like a good battle for her to pick. Not guaranteed it will be blocked but much more likely than historically would have been

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I just want Sekiro. You mother fuckers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

acksplode posted:

Xbox Live was Seganet 2 and it was a hit in part because it was built around broadband. The entire experience was way better than what Dreamcast could do with a service that was built to accommodate dialup. The timing was just right to grow XBL alongside broadband adoption, which was starting to take off in the US.

oh very good point. yeah XBL itself is one of their best timed services.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Although it feels like most of the pushback has been in the UK side.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

webmeister posted:

Make sure you post if it sucks or not, the trailers look interesting like a better version of monster hunter crossed with Fortnite style building and Death Stranding style objects across sessions kinda thing

It seems alright. Playing on PC and it needs performance patches, which they are working on. Only fought the tutorial boss which had a bunch of different stages and took about 15 minutes to beat. Maybe that's normal, I've never really played a monster hunter game before. It's Koei Tecmo so some of it reminds me of nioh a bit. The different sword attacks all felt pretty good. Probably play it some more once it gets some patches.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody okay Exo One on Game Pass? Nice little flight of the navigator experience... Very little gamification and it's literally made by, like, 3 people

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Anybody okay Exo One on Game Pass? Nice little flight of the navigator experience... Very little gamification and it's literally made by, like, 3 people
it's the kind of game that you could have playing while hanging out with non-gamer friends, getting drunk and or high, and would be perfect to hand someone a controller and have them go "dude wtf is even happening"

was a fun playthrough but by the last hour my interest waned pretty hard

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Martman posted:

it's the kind of game that you could have playing while hanging out with non-gamer friends, getting drunk and or high, and would be perfect to hand someone a controller and have them go "dude wtf is even happening"

was a fun playthrough but by the last hour my interest waned pretty hard

Yeah it took me about 2.5 hrs and I felt like it was the perfect length.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Lots of neat ID@Xbox games on sale this week. I have a full wishlist of 'em and can't resist them when they go 70-80% off.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I just want Sekiro. You mother fuckers.

I think it's on sale right now

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Professor Beetus posted:

If the money games get from Microsoft/downloads from game pass is good enough, it really shouldn't matter that sales are down. Obviously it will to bigger companies who will shriek about lost sales but I'm pretty sure game pass has been a big payday for smaller studios/devs in terms of both money and exposure.

Yeah I guess it’s a balancing act for publishers, probably depending on how Microsoft structures their deals. Whether it’s just a one-off license fee, or a cost per unique player, or some combination of the two. Then factor things like marketing; how much more exposure will being on GamePass bring. How much extra DLC or mtx income will that bring in? Do all of those things make up for losing much of your initial sales rush?

On one hand, I’m sure we can all name a dozen or more games we’ve played on GP that we would’ve otherwise ignored. And probably spent extra money on too.

But I find it interesting that Crusader Kings 3 was on pc GamePass day 1, while Victoria 3 still hasn’t been added. And those games are modelled around selling loads of DLC. Clearly paradox decided GamePass wasn’t worth it, at least not initially.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wild Hearts owns.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Tsietisin posted:

I'm sure there's been several developers that have stated that the money they initially got from Microsoft far exceeded what they expected to get through regular sales alone.

With the added bonus that they can still sell games on other platforms, they are more than happy to do it.

Kinda wonder if this will remain true once GamePass is no longer in venture-capital “just get exposure at any cost” mode. Either prices paid to devs will go down or monthly subscription costs will go up (or most likely both).

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Illusive Man posted:

Kinda wonder if this will remain true once GamePass is no longer in venture-capital “just get exposure at any cost” mode. Either prices paid to devs will go down or monthly subscription costs will go up (or most likely both).

I have been saying this basically since Gamepass launched. It is pretty obvious that the service is Microsoft’s vision of consumers not actually owning games for their hardware and instead paying them a fee to play games forever.

Your average customer buys 3 full price games a year, which is the price of Gamepass currently. You make it so the only way to play an Elder Scrolls 6 is on Gamepass in a couple of years, people will complain but enough will ultimately do it. Then they raise the price after announcing all first party games and selected third party will only be on Gamepass. If you want to play a lot of titles you will be forced to pay the Gamepass tax. Over time all Xbox titles will be Gamepass only.

It will be real interesting to see how everyone else combats this plan because Microsoft has enough money to throw at it to make it succeed.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Djarum posted:

I have been saying this basically since Gamepass launched. It is pretty obvious that the service is Microsoft’s vision of consumers not actually owning games for their hardware and instead paying them a fee to play games forever.

Your average customer buys 3 full price games a year, which is the price of Gamepass currently. You make it so the only way to play an Elder Scrolls 6 is on Gamepass in a couple of years, people will complain but enough will ultimately do it. Then they raise the price after announcing all first party games and selected third party will only be on Gamepass. If you want to play a lot of titles you will be forced to pay the Gamepass tax. Over time all Xbox titles will be Gamepass only.

It will be real interesting to see how everyone else combats this plan because Microsoft has enough money to throw at it to make it succeed.

Concerning

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Djarum posted:

Hmm. Wrong.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Doesn't explain Microsoft releasing all their games to steam, they'd be locked to the Windows store if they were going down that path

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

They'll raise the price of game pass at some point, but they'll keep releasing everything on steam I would think.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

hanyolo posted:

Doesn't explain Microsoft releasing all their games to steam, they'd be locked to the Windows store if they were going down that path

They haven’t had anything big enough to make exclusive yet. My guess would be Elder Scrolls 6, since Starfall is a new IP so it wouldn’t be a big enough draw. If you are going to shoot your shot with it you have to make it count. For example when Valve went to start Steam they made Half-Life 2 as an exclusive on the service. EA tried to do the same thing with Battlefield 3 and Origin.

Nothing else in their current catalog is big enough to pull it off. If the buyout somehow gets approved, which at this point I doubt, then they do have some options from Activision if they wanted to try it sooner but I don’t think they are looking to rush things. It’s a long term strategy with a big reward for them if they are able to pull it off.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I don't know what the gently caress I did to my Series S, but now my headsets only produce chat audio out of the left ear, and no game audio whatsoever, no matter how much tinkering with sound settings I do. My last resort is a hard reset but trying to figure it out otherwise is driving me nuts.
It had been on standby during a power outage, though I can't see hiw that's responsible...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wiltsghost posted:

They'll raise the price of game pass at some point, but they'll keep releasing everything on steam I would think.

Honestly they could put up the price by like 50% at this point and I wouldn’t really complain - as long as they keep the games flowing. I think the only full priced game I bought last year was Elden Ring; everything else was GamePass.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

webmeister posted:

Honestly they could put up the price by like 50% at this point and I wouldn’t really complain - as long as they keep the games flowing. I think the only full priced game I bought last year was Elden Ring; everything else was GamePass.

I would complain.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Should the deal not go through, then MS suddenly has 70 billion dollars that they may want to spend quickly. Better watch out!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

buy taco bell and give out free burritos w a gamepass sub

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

XBOX will always have to compete with PC (an open platform where the steep discounts over time sale model is now firmly established as maximising profit) and PlayStation which has been playing the exclusives game for much longer. There's also streaming services on the horizon that potentially wipe out the need to have an xbox at all.

Those competitive pressures mean there's a limit to the extent they can raise prices. Inflation means they should have to at some point and see how the market reacts, but that ratio of 'the cost of 3 AAA games a year' is probably right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lol, streamed gaming isn't gonna threaten to replace purchased games. Covid lockdowns showed the bandwidth just isn't there ANYWHERE to sustain video streaming (cached downloads), let along game streaming (actual constant data transfer) at anywhere close to what would be needed for primetime usage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

John F Bennett posted:

Should the deal not go through, then MS suddenly has 70 billion dollars that they may want to spend quickly. Better watch out!

EA is putting on some fresh lipstick

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, streamed gaming isn't gonna threaten to replace purchased games. Covid lockdowns showed the bandwidth just isn't there ANYWHERE to sustain video streaming (cached downloads), let along game streaming (actual constant data transfer) at anywhere close to what would be needed for primetime usage.

Give it 10 years, or two console cycles, which is a pretty reasonable business planning horizon. I wouldn't say it will replace purchased games because physics means latency will always be a thing, but there is a huge chunk of the market that doesn't care about that and will default to the option that means you just need a controller and you can play whatever you want on your TV in seconds.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Alchenar posted:

There's also streaming services on the horizon that potentially wipe out the need to have an xbox at all.

Yeah maybe in a universe where xCloud doesn't already exist

veni veni veni posted:

buy taco bell and give out free burritos w a gamepass sub

A friend of mine got a month of game pass from a bag of doritos recently which was pretty sweet

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Fwiw I have gigabit fibre and Hifi Rush was basically unplayable via cloud streaming

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

Give it 10 years, or two console cycles, which is a pretty reasonable business planning horizon. I wouldn't say it will replace purchased games because physics means latency will always be a thing, but there is a huge chunk of the market that doesn't care about that and will default to the option that means you just need a controller and you can play whatever you want on your TV in seconds.

As someone who works with fibre networking and infrastructure for a living, lol, no.

Like seriously; Noooooo. ISP's build cheap, wrong, and in some cases stupid, and it'd take a shitload of money to un-gently caress all they've done globally for consumer internet before planning out proper builds that would cost a shitload more money.

And then ensure it will be maintained, with a scoped plan for End-of-Life hardware to be replaced technological advancements, and interstitial upgrades. This costs multiple shitloads of money. On top of scoping out new networks and capacity.

And you have to do all that with an expectation of no grift, budget cuts, or lazy design or part substitiution. From ISP's.

And then you're screwed anyway because your streamed game service had no datacenter in your nearest major city.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 15, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

streaming gaming sucks and always will

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I dunno it works pretty well most of the time for me, outside of specific games like HiFi Rush mentioned above. I've played a bunch of Gamepass stuff via cloud when I've been too lazy to download something (or don't want to wait a couple of hours to discover something's poo poo), or games that are just way too big like Flight Simulator.

But yeah I have a brand new gigabit fibre connection in my apartment and an excellent ISP, which I realise is out of reach for a lot of people

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nah, streamed gaming DOES work in ideal conditions. Fibre from your home all the way to a datacenter with the streaming server? Works as designed on paper and in a lab.

The real world's infrastructure, however, is not a lab environment. Also just cause your streamed movies come nice and fast doesn't mean your games will because, oops, turns out there's a bunch of corrupt or dropped packets on the regular you don't see with your movie quietly redownloading them but sure will when it's coming in live and uncached.

webmeister posted:

I dunno it works pretty well most of the time for me, outside of specific games like HiFi Rush mentioned above. I've played a bunch of Gamepass stuff via cloud when I've been too lazy to download something (or don't want to wait a couple of hours to discover something's poo poo), or games that are just way too big like Flight Simulator.

But yeah I have a brand new gigabit fibre connection in my apartment and an excellent ISP, which I realise is out of reach for a lot of people

It's also not consistent either. You have good internet, but the place next door? Across the street? Next block over? Total crapshoot.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 15, 2023

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Streaming can be absolutely fine and I think it mostly depends on the game as whether it works or not.

Something that requires accurate timing, such as a rhythm game, platformer like Hollow Knight, some FPS, etc do struggle with the latency.

If it's a game that doesn't require that level of accuracy, such as the many adventure games, RPGs, puzzle games and similar, then it's not a problem.

My realisation of this came from playing Guardians of the Galaxy via XCloud. I had been playing for about 2 hours and I had completely forgotten that I was playing over a stream. The video quality was perfect and what lag there must have been was unnoticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I like the way Xbox handles cloud streaming, in that a.) they actually have datacenters in my country and b.) they treat it as a value-add alongside, rather than a replacement for, downloadable, natively-run games. Makes it very useful for the few times a year I want to give Flight Simulator a spin but don't want to dedicated a full quarter of my hard drive to it.