Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The newest Fanatical big bundle has a couple recent-ish boomer shooters and a few recent classic remakes in it, if you hadn't picked them up before 25 bucks seems a good price

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-25

Not sure about some of the other stuff in there, a Homeless Person sim? :o:

Interesting, I'd say $25 is worth it for DUSK, AMID EVIL, Turok 1, Turok 2, Doom 64, and Hypnospace Outlaw*.

*Obviously not a classic or retro FPS, but certainly a Goon-favorite and a Goon-made game as well (if I remember correctly) that captures the essence of those weird-world-wide-web early days when games like Doom 64 and Turok were contemporary.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Interesting, I'd say $25 is worth it for DUSK, AMID EVIL, Turok 1, Turok 2, Doom 64, and Hypnospace Outlaw*.

*Obviously not a classic or retro FPS, but certainly a Goon-favorite and a Goon-made game as well (if I remember correctly) that captures the essence of those weird-world-wide-web early days when games like Doom 64 and Turok were contemporary.
The author of Hypnospace Outlaw also occasionally appears in this thread and is working on a spin-off that definitely fits in this thread with a demo available.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Ooooh that's right, I forgot the same developer was working on Slayer X too

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hellscreen enters Early Access March 9th. It’s… unique. Wasn’t my bag, but give the demo a spin. Maybe it’ll be yours?

https://twitter.com/hellscreen_game/status/1624061853704892419

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Something is going on with Mick Gordon's twitter account. He's been posting mixes of a bunch of his music, to include Bethesda tracks from Doom and Prey. I'm not sure if he's just posting old stuff or hyping up a future album release.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Played MAP10 of BTSX2 last night ("Eureka Signs"). It's a stunning map, but it's also loooooong, geez. TBH I actually didn't finish it, it was just getting too late, I do think I was close though.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Kins posted:

Hellscreen enters Early Access March 9th. It’s… unique. Wasn’t my bag, but give the demo a spin. Maybe it’ll be yours?

This looks visually awful! I know a guy that loves games that are eyestrainers, but I just can't get into them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yah it looks hideous

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eh. Not as bad as Prodeus.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The newest Fanatical big bundle has a couple recent-ish boomer shooters and a few recent classic remakes in it, if you hadn't picked them up before 25 bucks seems a good price

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-25

Not sure about some of the other stuff in there, a Homeless Person sim? :o:

What a bizarre bundle. I'm not familiar with this site, is this typical?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I think they're owned by Relic or some publisher. I've bought loads of stuff from them, they're legit

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Fanatical is owned by Fandom, of terrible-wikis and murdering-websites infamy. They're a legit site selling legit keys.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Dwell v2 is seriously good fun and i'd strongly recommend anybody even remotely interested in quake to grab a copy off slipseer and give it a go if you haven't already. The level of quality is above and beyond most of the commercial retro fps offerings out there right now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

koren posted:

Dwell v2 is seriously good fun and i'd strongly recommend anybody even remotely interested in quake to grab a copy off slipseer and give it a go if you haven't already. The level of quality is above and beyond most of the commercial retro fps offerings out there right now.

I'm finishing it up, on the last level?, the one with 800 monsters, and I have to say this level made me roll my eyes, with some really annoying and lethal platforming sections, underwater sections with limited air, etc.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm finishing it up, on the last level?, the one with 800 monsters, and I have to say this level made me roll my eyes, with some really annoying and lethal platforming sections, underwater sections with limited air, etc.

One thing I initially forgot when playing this episode: since Dwell is based on Copper code, "drowning" damage works differently, i.e.

Copper docs posted:

The player recovers most of the damage they took from drowning once they're above water again (or if they find themselves a biosuit while drowning). Short choking episodes do no permanent damage, but the longer the player goes without air, the more health is lost permanently. If they dive below the surface before the recovery is complete (in other words, before they get their wind back) the onset of drowning damage comes sooner and harder the next time. This makes players feel a bit more free to explore underwater just a little too long for only short-term risk but no permanent penalty, which should in turn help mappers feel more comfortable with use of swimming gameplay (especially to make the player feel uncomfortable ...).

I am just a little bit into that mega-map so I'm not sure how much it makes use of that fact, but I remember it coming in useful when exploring one of the earlier maps too.

==========

Overall I do *really* like Dwell 2. Two or three all-time classic maps in the first six I think, and all at least "very good". The visuals, level construction, and music are best-in-class, and the combat usually holds up too.

The practice of putting a mega-map as the last or penultimate map of an episode is one that kinda makes me sigh when I encounter it. Mazu (the mapper in this case) is quite good at making big Quake maps and I enjoy their work, so nothing against the map itself, per se. It's just weird IMO for a single map in an episode to have about as much "content" as all the rest of the episode put together... it kind of squashes/unbalances/something-something the feel of the journey.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Horses for courses cos I really adored that level. Each wing has its own little gimmick going for it and there's just so much to explore and figure out. The water sections in particular are great! Dwell adds a scuba tank powerup that increases movement speed 30% underwater and vore projectiles are nerfed underwater so it's possible to dodge around freely in three dimensions fighting effectively which I found pretty fun. The only area that doesn't have a load of respawning scuba tanks that comes later on is fun precisely because suddenly you're being denied the luxury of unlimited time and forced to slowly push forward deeper and deeper into the unknown, searching for air pockets. I'd really like to see an attempt at an entirely underwater level using that powerup.

The platforming sections are admittedly hard, especially on higher difficulties are entirely skippable and shortcuts unlock to bypass them progressively.

I have nothing against long maps like that when there's an autosave function like the one in copper. Checkpoints are quite generous so it's always possible to open the console and load auto to get back up and running again. It's unfortunate that currently no source ports properly support the feature, but the next version of ironwail will have a little prompt when you die asking if you want to load the latest autosave, which can't come soon enough tbh.

koren fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 14, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Civvie is nearly 20 minutes of a single Thief 2 map.

You already know which one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7dx8J1T3y8

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

The Kins posted:

That mission is just :discourse:

Also I had the exact same reaction to the metal baby.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Kins posted:

Is this made by the person who made that one shooter that has like a billion fov?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow Cero Miedo is not for the faint of heart. Finished my AE hard run-through and so now I'm actually chugging along because I guess I was better than I thought I was. Even so I know the penultimate level is going to destroy me, I can feel it in my bones. Gonna guess Jacob is a real dickhead too.

The Kins posted:

Actually gave this a shot. It's certainly novel but honestly it just feels too gimicky. I hate saying that because I do want to encourage trying new poo poo but it's hard as hell to use the rearview poo poo

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 14, 2023

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nightmare Reaper is pretty fun, reminds me of the Aeons of Death mod for DOOM, mixed with like, Total Carnage. Really chaotic, all the weapons feel super-powerful and dangerous. My only gripe is that it's very hard to see where the enemies are with all the particle effects flying around. Enemy silhouettes are pretty hard to read, too. The simple pixel style is kind of neat, feels a bit like your character is drawing these monsters herself. maybe she is? I'm not very far in.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nightmare reaper was p fun and god I wish it ran better on my comp, but it was stuttering in the early levels and I just knew it was gonna get worse as it got more chaotic. drat shame, but refunding it did allow me enough left to pick up wrath and ultrakill so I still think I came out ahead

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really loved my time with Nightmare Reaper but I got fed up with the later levels and their incessant need to have you find a physical key to slap into a hole on the opposite side of the map to unlock areas.

Such a pace killer when you're forced to hunt for key cards in all of the various forms that they come in inside the game, it went way too heavy on it.

Also the meta game UI that they had was awful.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
the retro games you play to unlock upgrades? Yeah I don't really enjoy them. It's a neat idea to try and make as much of the game dietetic, but that super mario upgrade process just feels like a time tax.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Can't they be turned off? I feel like that was a thing, but I haven't played NR in a while.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Deakul posted:

Also the meta game UI that they had was awful.

It’s insanely shoddy and confusing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Wouldn't mind an option to skip the mini games and just buy the upgrades, maybe even at a slight increase in cost to them compared to doing the mini-games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Wouldn't mind an option to skip the mini games and just buy the upgrades, maybe even at a slight increase in cost to them compared to doing the mini-games

There was an option for that when I played, so itd be weird if they removed that.

Nightmare Reaper was fun but by the end it was tedious and the final boss beat me and instead of raring for another go I went "yeah, thats fine"

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

suuma posted:

Can't they be turned off? I feel like that was a thing, but I haven't played NR in a while.

There was but for a couple of the games you still had to navigate their tedious levels like the space exploration one or deal with inventories or the pokemon meta game, would've been much preferred to just have a normal level up menu.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Kins posted:

oh god, i was just astounded by this thing when i first encountered it. they put it out as the demo and it was rather different from the release version. it was kinda fun comparing the two.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Half-Life 3 is going to rule!! And it will happen. Yes religion can be good, this is inspirational, and I think Gordon is the Freeman who will take gaming to the promised land. And let's make an open world Tribes single player game too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

was checking the artstation page for one of my favorite artists Lucas Roussel for the first time in a while and saw something interesting, couple months ago they did a bunch of art redesigning the Covenant from Halo and it's some wonderfully weird stuff, going for more of a space fantasy vibe;

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PeQ36o

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Absolutely love but might be a little too lighthearted for Halo's overall story. Sweet designs though. Shades of skeksis for a couple of the beaked ones

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Elites don’t look nearly menacing enough. It’s hard for me to take a pile of pool noodles seriously. The Jackals look sweet though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Absolutely love but might be a little too lighthearted for Halo's overall story. Sweet designs though. Shades of skeksis for a couple of the beaked ones

Guy has a knack for doing fantastical and indeed often downright whimsical designs that are in turn attached to surprisingly dark and violent settings, his primary setting Rust & Humus perfectly demonstrates that

RyokoTK posted:

The Elites don’t look nearly menacing enough. It’s hard for me to take a pile of pool noodles seriously. The Jackals look sweet though.

I dunno I can easily picture one of them just casually reaching over and with no effort at all just wrenching off some poor bastard's head in one clean tug and then casually start munching on it like an apple

Thing just screams highly effective predator if you have any decent knowledge about insects and other invertebrates

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Finally playing through Black Mesa for the first time and remembering that, for the most part, Half-Life is a punishing slog. And of all the Half-Life things to lovingly remaster, these Crowbar Collective people do the platforming parts? Urrgghh.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you’re playing any Half-Life title on hard, don’t.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

If you’re playing any Half-Life title on hard, don’t.

Honestly even on Easy they can be slogs

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I play ALL of my Half-Lifes on hard, but I'm also a bada** who has studied the crowbar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I would say yall are crazy but then again I probably have more time in half life vanilla than the rest of you combined so that might bias things a bit. Turns out when you don't have internet and can only play one FPS you tend to memorize every enemy engagement the whole way through. Nothing like going to bed and be stuck running through the game