Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Happy Landfill posted:

That's good to know! Thank you! Been really liking Stash and Twinings, so I'll give theirs a try. Unless there's other budget brands that Goons recommend?

I started drinking tea again after inheriting an electric kettle from someone and it's been really great! As much as I enjoy coffee, there's just something about tea that makes me feel...better? I guess. Not that coffee makes me feel bad or anything, I just feel like I don't crash from tea the way I did with coffee.

tea doesn't seem to go though me as much as coffee does, either

pg tips is THE english breakfast tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Also if you're on a budget:

While you don't have to spend a lot on tea, loose leaf you can steep multiple times and it might end up being cheaper

You can steep bag tea multiple times too i guess but I drink loose leaf in a steeper cup

But I also drink lipton and sleepy time

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

w4ddl3d33 posted:

pg tips is THE english breakfast tea

I'll check them out!

Planet X posted:

Also if you're on a budget:

While you don't have to spend a lot on tea, loose leaf you can steep multiple times and it might end up being cheaper

You can steep bag tea multiple times too i guess but I drink loose leaf in a steeper cup

But I also drink lipton and sleepy time

I actually didn't realize you could steep more than once? I had always heard that you shouldn't really do that, at least with bagged tea. That's cool to know!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The second steeping has a small fraction of the caffeine.

Whether that is a good or a bad is up to you.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bagged tea tends to be made from the remnants of loose leaf tea after it goes through the sorting process. It's usually called "tea dust" and it's the little bits that break off of tea as it is processed. It's still tea and it's still good, but being in a reduced form factor like that means that the small surface area extracts all the tea compounds a lot faster, so resteeping bagged tea isn't going to get you very far. Big, intact leaves have a lot more to give, so to speak.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The second steeping has a small fraction of the caffeine.

Whether that is a good or a bad is up to you.

I thought it would mean less flavor, but I'll keep that in mind since I have tea in the morning

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014

Happy Landfill posted:

I thought it would mean less flavor, but I'll keep that in mind since I have tea in the morning

It does a little, I just add an extra 2 minutes to the steeping time per resteep

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Good to know :) Thank you for not laughing at my plebian tea habits, goons!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

That's good to know! Thank you! Been really liking Stash and Twinings, so I'll give theirs a try. Unless there's other budget brands that Goons recommend?

I started drinking tea again after inheriting an electric kettle from someone and it's been really great! As much as I enjoy coffee, there's just something about tea that makes me feel...better? I guess. Not that coffee makes me feel bad or anything, I just feel like I don't crash from tea the way I did with coffee.

tea doesn't seem to go though me as much as coffee does, either

How hard your water is can have a pretty big effect on the taste - you can try filtering tapwater and see if you prefer it (I never bother personally but it can have a bigger effect than the exact brand of English tea).

Seconding the Yorkshire gold rec, it's my favourite, although you should ignore the instructions which say to steep for way too long.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Heath posted:

Bagged tea tends to be made from the remnants of loose leaf tea after it goes through the sorting process. It's usually called "tea dust" and it's the little bits that break off of tea as it is processed. It's still tea and it's still good, but being in a reduced form factor like that means that the small surface area extracts all the tea compounds a lot faster, so resteeping bagged tea isn't going to get you very far. Big, intact leaves have a lot more to give, so to speak.

This is true. For what I pecked out on my phone earlier, I generally don't re-steep bagged tea, although I've done it once or twice. I do generally re-steep loose leaf tea, especially greens. I have a tea strainer that i just pop back in the fridge in a sealed tupperware container for the next steep. Subsequent steeps (usually no more than 3, but I know some premium teas can do more) I generally make the water hotter and steep a little longer, especially since the leaves are usually cold coming out of the fridge.

I am not a teahead, but let me say that the Cosori goose neck tea kettle has been absolutely amazing. You can have specific water temps at the push of a button, and its fast. Truth be told I mostly use it when I want hot water instantly to clean, such as when I'm wanting to clean a pot or pan that has stuff caked on it (I have a tankless water heater in an old house, so I have to run the water long to get it hot, and this bypasses that) Amazing for tea, though.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Planet X posted:

I am not a teahead, but let me say that the Cosori goose neck tea kettle has been absolutely amazing. You can have specific water temps at the push of a button, and its fast. Truth be told I mostly use it when I want hot water instantly to clean, such as when I'm wanting to clean a pot or pan that has stuff caked on it (I have a tankless water heater in an old house, so I have to run the water long to get it hot, and this bypasses that) Amazing for tea, though.
My sister got that one for Christmas, which was how I got her old one. She brewed me a cup with it and it was pretty cool. It looks super cute, too

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I resteep a teabag usually up to four times ask me anything

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Planet X posted:

This is true. For what I pecked out on my phone earlier, I generally don't re-steep bagged tea, although I've done it once or twice. I do generally re-steep loose leaf tea, especially greens. I have a tea strainer that i just pop back in the fridge in a sealed tupperware container for the next steep. Subsequent steeps (usually no more than 3, but I know some premium teas can do more) I generally make the water hotter and steep a little longer, especially since the leaves are usually cold coming out of the fridge.

I drink black tea and spiced chai, and when I do re-steeps, I usually add a bit of fresh tea. Like I'll make a big cup of chai with 3 scoops of loose leaf, then for a re-steep I add one scoop of fresh tea to the strainer, along with a couple of the spices that loose flavor from one brewing. After that I toss the used tea, because it's gotten pretty weak.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

3 scoops of loose leaf! That is a big chai!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

aldantefax posted:

I resteep a teabag usually up to four times ask me anything

How Dutch are you?

https://dutchreview.com/culture/heres-the-tea-dutchies-have-no-idea-how-to-drink-it/

(I know you're not, just sharing... that)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Apparently not very since I don’t remove the teabag, and usually I have a thermos so I will let it ride for hours. So, maybe one tenth dutch

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

aldantefax posted:

Apparently not very since I don’t remove the teabag, and usually I have a thermos so I will let it ride for hours. So, maybe one tenth dutch

:goofy:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Subjunctive posted:

3 scoops of loose leaf! That is a big chai!

Hell yeah it is!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

aldantefax posted:

grandpa style tea baggin'

I have a friend from Newcastle (guess he's in Oslo now tho) who would probably have a stroke were he to hear that

Just steeped some hojicha for an afternoon pick-me-up

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Just brewed a 2010 raw pu-erh (my first pu-erh brew) and it is crazy bitter. I followed the guide on Yunnan. Did I do something wrong?

https://yunnansourcing.us/pages/brewing-guide-for-green-black-oolong-and-pu-erh-teas

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I do a single 30 second wash on my pu’erh, but I’m not especially fancy.

I hit a tea place that new to me today and I had some lovely Yunnan silver needles after work. It was great!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Valicious posted:

Just brewed a 2010 raw pu-erh (my first pu-erh brew) and it is crazy bitter. I followed the guide on Yunnan. Did I do something wrong?

https://yunnansourcing.us/pages/brewing-guide-for-green-black-oolong-and-pu-erh-teas

you could try to either steep for a shorter time, or if that doesn’t work, try using less leaves, or lower the temperature a bit. instead of full boil, try 95°C, or instead of e.g. 8g to 150ml, try 5g, for instance

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Valicious posted:

Raw pu-erhs can be extremely bitter compared to ripened ones. You can try the above suggestions to try to tone it down a bit, but keep in mind bitterness is considered a feature of many young shengs. They tend to mellow with age

If you hate bitter, shou (ripe) pu-erh is the way to go

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I know your able to steep pu-erhs multiple times, but how do you account for bacterial growth? It seems like letting wet tea leaves sitting for multiple days between steeps would be a prime bacteria breeding ground.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m burning through multiple steeps in an afternoon or morning, letting it sit for multiple days sounds wretched.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Yeah I'll do multiple steeps of any given tea through the day, but I always throw the used leaves out if they've been sitting overnight. The few times I forgot (like leaving some leaves in my work setup over a weekend by mistake) it got gnarly very fast.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the day after is okay, two days might be stretching it

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I’ve done next day because I like to buy good tea and hate to waste, though it does feel weird. Life is a series of tempting fate, however mundane!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the best way to store a ripe pu-erh cake? I see that the general recommendation is not too hot or cold and low humidity. Could I just keep the cake in the wrapping and put it with my other tea in a kitchen cabinet?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Guy at the tea shop told me to just take the steeper with the tea in it, put it in a sealed container like a Tupperware and put it in the fridge

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Planet X posted:

Guy at the tea shop told me to just take the steeper with the tea in it, put it in a sealed container like a Tupperware and put it in the fridge

Yeah, I’ll stick tea leaves in the fridge for one more day if they’re not spent yet

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What's the best way to store a ripe pu-erh cake? I see that the general recommendation is not too hot or cold and low humidity. Could I just keep the cake in the wrapping and put it with my other tea in a kitchen cabinet?

At my shop we store it in Tupperware, at my home I have a cabinet specifically for ripe puer but I should probably make that airtight somehow.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

JNCO BILOBA posted:

At my shop we store it in Tupperware, at my home I have a cabinet specifically for ripe puer but I should probably make that airtight somehow.

But an airtight container will stop aerobic fermentation, right? It seems like I would want it to keep fermenting slowly to preserve and develop the flavor.

e: I don't know why I said pu'erh. I bought this white tea cake: https://yunnansourcing.com/products/2022-yunnan-sourcing-man-gang-tea-flowers-white-tea-cake

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 7, 2023

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Together with other teas in the kitchen cabinet should be fine, assuming your kitchen cabinet isn't particularly hot or humid, at least if you're planning to drink it rather than age it for multiple years. If you do plan to age it I'd worry more about humidity than anything else first, temperature second, and airflow a distant third.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Following up, NewFatSpouse and I had another trip to this tea shop nearby.

I got some Dan Cong Champion oolong which is fabulous and mild but still full bodied.

The Yunnan Silver Needles are still hitting so good. Really inexpensive especially for the type, and getting 3 infusions out of each bit makes for such a fantastic all day drink. Highly recommend!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I've been out of sheng puerh but last week got my resupply shipment in, plus some of the good sencha my partner prefers. Last week was the 2007 Lao Bang Zhan, today its a sampler of an inexpensive Bulang Shan from Mengsong Mountain, dated 2016. Really like this one, am considering putting in a cake as a daily driver

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm just finishing up a bag of kamairicha that I've really enjoyed: https://nioteas.com/products/kamairicha-green-tea-issin

My understanding is that kamairicha is basically green tea from Japan done in the Chinese preparation (pan fried instead of steamed).

I figure for the next batch of tea, I'll cut out the middleman and get Chinese green tea. The tea I bought before is also like twice what I originally paid for it?

What varieties should I look for that have this same kind of warm taste? I know Japanese tea decently well but am still learning about Chinese teas

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have a preferred place to get loose leaf chamomile? I've been drinking some before bed but I'd like to get some high quality loose tea to drink.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My local place has it, and they ship, if you can't find any place online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Both my local tea shop and local grocery coop have some, so if you’ve got as hippy grocer check it out.