Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Nobody Interesting posted:

I haven't modded on the Steam Deck but I do exclusively play games on Linux. imo the best thing to do would be to go into desktop mode and grab a tool called SteamTinkerLaunch - https://github.com/sonic2kk/steamtinkerlaunch/releases/

The easiest way to install it is by using ProtonUp-Qt which downloads the latest version of STL (and also custom Proton versions) and puts it in the right place for you.

Restart Steam once it's been downloaded + installed, and then right click FNV in Steam and go to the Compatibility tab. Tick the box, select STL.

What STL will do is handle the MO2 integration for you. It'll let you use the "download with manager" links on Nexus and all that good stuff. Once you've got your mods installed, I would imagine that FNV will work okay in game mode. With STL set up, you can go ahead and follow Viva New Vegas

One of the main reasons I was hired for my last job was because I talked at length about modding FNV on Linux. Feel free to bug me with any Qs.

I did exactly this + Viva New Vegas and it works perfectly - I get a rock solid 60 fps you can limit it to 40 to just about double battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

What kind of position lets you in because you're good at FNV modding? I mean as a fellow Linux gamer you definitely deserve it but where can I apply?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nobody Interesting posted:

I haven't modded on the Steam Deck but I do exclusively play games on Linux. imo the best thing to do would be to go into desktop mode and grab a tool called SteamTinkerLaunch - https://github.com/sonic2kk/steamtinkerlaunch/releases/

The easiest way to install it is by using ProtonUp-Qt which downloads the latest version of STL (and also custom Proton versions) and puts it in the right place for you.

Restart Steam once it's been downloaded + installed, and then right click FNV in Steam and go to the Compatibility tab. Tick the box, select STL.

What STL will do is handle the MO2 integration for you. It'll let you use the "download with manager" links on Nexus and all that good stuff. Once you've got your mods installed, I would imagine that FNV will work okay in game mode. With STL set up, you can go ahead and follow Viva New Vegas

One of the main reasons I was hired for my last job was because I talked at length about modding FNV on Linux. Feel free to bug me with any Qs.

I will probably take you up on this offer, thank you

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Youremother posted:

What kind of position lets you in because you're good at FNV modding? I mean as a fellow Linux gamer you definitely deserve it but where can I apply?

lmao it was a software consultancy/tech support role. They were looking for someone with "a Linux background". My education is not at all IT (I have a Politics degree) so going in for tech roles I need to bluff and embellish a little.

What they were interested in was troubleshooting stories, and around that time the virtual filesystem component (this is the thing that keeps your FNV directory completely clean and just loads your mods at runtime) of MO2 was broken under Wine. I'm not a programmer, but I worked with a programmer buddy of mine who has never used MO2 or played FNV to hunt down why it was broken and we got it fixed (here's the results of our findings if you're interested). They liked the story as a decent example of how I can figure poo poo out and reach out to resources/people/etc who can help me.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
What's up with the thread title?

I jumped on the viva new Vegas train and the game works.. so far. Maybe I'll actually finish this playthrough. My previous ones have ended due to my bad modding ability.

I told Benny I forgive him after convincing him to take me to the prez suite, then murdered him as he went to leave. Aces baby! No one was impressed by this, the NCR military cops told me I'm under watch for it and Mr house scalded me.. but he will be enjoying a golf club soon, in retrospect it does make my character a terrible person but his fate was always death. I just saved him a trip to the Legion.

I did the followers mission to bug Mr houses network and I paid very little attention until the robots called me a commie, started reading the terminals at one of the override locations and lol that Mr house had a brother who hated robots? It's been a while but I remember Mr house being an alien.. maybe I should be paying more attention to the main characters. But I'm going to murder them soon anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

What's up with the thread title?

I believe it was to separate it from the newer New Vegas modding thread. Personally I would change it to Old Thread Blues but so far no luck.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

This thread is almost 12 years old. I think it's just one of those writing things with words that have opposite meanings (i'm sure it has a name)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it's just a play on it being called New Vegas and this thread has been around for a very long time, and is thus "old." Not that there's a newer thread.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There is a general Fallout thread for all things non-New Vegas I guess. It's from 2018

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

But here we don't have to think about fallout 4

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

There is a general Fallout thread for all things non-New Vegas I guess. It's from 2018

I mean it's effectively just a 76 thread at the moment, but as there's not likely to be any new non 76 fallout news in... sometime that makes sense.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It's been a while but I remember Mr house being an alien

Mr House shortly before being beaten to death with a golf club, 2281, colourised.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Is there a way to see my actual crit chance with a given weapon? I know about player.getav critchance but that only seems to show my base crit rate, not accounting for things like the 22 pistol's crit rate modifier.

I ask because I'm using the cool new bow mod and I have the bow-specific perks that jack up the crit rate but crits aren't much happening.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I did the followers mission to bug Mr houses network and I paid very little attention until the robots called me a commie, started reading the terminals at one of the override locations and lol that Mr house had a brother who hated robots? It's been a while but I remember Mr house being an alien.. maybe I should be paying more attention to the main characters. But I'm going to murder them soon anyway.

Basically Mr. House came from a wealthy family, but his brother screwed him over and took the family business for himself, so Robert House went out and somehow bootstrapped his way into founding RobCo on his own, and produced a bunch of robots, which is why his brother is so distrusting of robots coming to get him for revenge.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mr House being an alien sure is a new one. Did you misinterpret him being a gross guy in a pod? Or did you misremember his spiel about going to space?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
His brother Anthony is definitely an alien. Or at least a complete weirdo with an office full of sex freaks.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

76 seems terrible. I love Fallout but every time I read that thread it feels like a different series. No offense intended to anyone who does enjoy it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

antidote posted:

76 seems terrible. I love Fallout but every time I read that thread it feels like a different series. No offense intended to anyone who does enjoy it.

I feel like Fallout 4 and 76 are good Fallout themed survival shooters but not at all good Fallout RPGs. Not a unique take around here I'm sure but yeah I can't get past it either.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PinheadSlim posted:

I feel like Fallout 4 and 76 are good Fallout themed survival shooters but not at all good Fallout RPGs.

Four at least had far harbor that did actually feel, to me at least, a lot more like old school Fallout.

Just putting the player in an interesting reactive situation and letting them do what they want.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

dr_rat posted:

Four at least had far harbor that did actually feel, to me at least, a lot more like old school Fallout.

Just putting the player in an interesting reactive situation and letting them do what they want.

More than that, whoever was in charge of the development of Far Harbor knew that Fallout is at its best when it's examining the motivations and characteristics of conflicting societies. Go back to Fallout 1, and the game's entire conflict is about the Master attempting to impose their vision of the future upon the wasteland as the Vault Dweller explores all the different communities that have sprung up in the aftermath of the apocalypse. Fallout 2 revisits this conflict from the opposite end of the spectrum, with the last remnant of the old-world government attempting to wipe out everything that has sprung up in the aftermath, while the Chosen One gets to see how society has developed since the last game and how new governments have begun to form. Fallout 3 mostly tries to ape the plot of 2 and does it poorly, but it does at least try to present different conflicting groups like the Brotherhood and the Outcasts, the Enclave, Little Lamplight, etc. And Fallout New Vegas... well, we can talk for hours about New Vegas. But in each of these games, someone, somewhere, wants to impose their will on the wasteland, and it is up to the player to either stop it or make it happen.

4 and 76 don't have that. In 4, the Institute explicitly doesn't give a poo poo about the surface except for as a testing ground, the Brotherhood only wants to blow up the bad robots, the Railroad only wants to save the robots, and the Minutemen may as well not be a faction. The life of the average citizen in Diamond City or in one of the many interchangeable settlements does not change regardless of what your actions are. And of course in 76, in the base game everyone is just straight-up dead by the time you get out of the vault so there's precisely zero conflict except between you and the local wildlife.

There are lots of post-apoctalyptic games, movies, books, etc. out there, but Fallout's unique calling card has always been its broader focus on wider human society and how people have rebuilt after the apocalypse. As fun as 4 or 76 may or may not be, without those elements there's just really nothing that thematically makes them stand out and they're inherently less interesting as a result.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh 100% agree. Even debatable "the best" ending, of Dimma admitting what he's done, but far harbor not taking further actions -as well as taking the nuke keys so the Children of Atom can't nuke everything- leaves it pretty up in the air about how things will go. Children of Atom will still want to take the whole island, Far Harbor will still be rightfully wary of them, and now super paranoid about the Synth.

The other "best" ending, well what else is Dimma going to do to keep the peace. And worst thing is he can't even learn from his mistakes as he never even ends up living with them. Just gets rid of them and forgets.

Like New Vegas, there's a few bad endings you can intentionally or not bring about, but the "good" ending isn't entirely clear and it keeps you think about it. Good stuff.

Also even the bad faction, the Children of Atom, like they apparently were pretty chill under the first leader, and there good people there. Seems sort of like the Legion. Not quite enough written there for any real reason to side with them, but you know I don't think that was ever the point of them, and that's fine, sometimes in life there is just groups where you know good people can get mixed up with them, but the fundamental of the groups is just pretty awful.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

Mr House being an alien sure is a new one. Did you misinterpret him being a gross guy in a pod? Or did you misremember his spiel about going to space?

definitely him being a gross guy in a pod, honestly amazed that he's human after all
\\

think this might be one of those gerald ford moments where they have retrospectively gone back and changed it to make me seem insane

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh question for all. If supermutants weren't infertile is there still any reason why the masters plan is good. Say every supermutants kept their smarts like Marcus, is forcing that change still a net positive.

Sort of feel like after fallout 1 and you see people can rebuild there becomes less and less a reason, but in fall out one not knowing the outcome afterwards, it does make more sense. Like the recovery was much less certain, so forcing a harsh "evolutionary" change to adapt to the new environment with death claws and rads everywhere, did at least have pros and cons to it.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 15, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

dr_rat posted:

Oh question for all. If supermutants weren't infertile is there still any reason why the masters plan is good. Say every supermutants kept their smarts like Marcus, is forcing that change still a net positive.

Sort of feel like after fallout 1 and you see people can rebuild there becomes less and less a reason, but in fall out one not knowing the outcome afterwards, it does make more sense. Like the recovery was much less certain, so forcing a harsh "evolutionary" change to adapt to the new environment with death claws and rads everywhere, did at least have pros and cons to it.

The other element of the Master's plan was that the Unity would remove differences that were the basis for human conflict prior to the great war- without gender or racial differences and a common belief system, there would be none of the disparity that would cause another cataclysmic war. It's been awhile, but my recollection is that while subsequent games put paid to the idea of unified supermutantdom in various ways, it's less clear that the same refutation is evident in Fallout 1; Marcus doesn't appear until Fallout 2, after all. It's certainly not an option in the dialogue tree with the Master. Conversely, the general themes of the first game would still suggest that this notion of "this time my dominant group won't splinter!" is doomed, even before the sequels.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I mean being turned into a super mutant (if all kept their intelligence and things like nightkin insanity could be cured/stopped) would probably be a net positive for living ability in the post apocalypse.

The ability to lift cars, being healed by radiation instead of poisoned, being tough as the top of the line military hardware with just their skin, rarely needing much sleep....

I don't think it'd be hard to say that it'd probably help in surviving and rebuilding to have those things.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

dr_rat posted:

Oh 100% agree. Even debatable "the best" ending, of Dimma admitting what he's done, but far harbor not taking further actions -as well as taking the nuke keys so the Children of Atom can't nuke everything- leaves it pretty up in the air about how things will go. Children of Atom will still want to take the whole island, Far Harbor will still be rightfully wary of them, and now super paranoid about the Synth.

The other "best" ending, well what else is Dimma going to do to keep the peace. And worst thing is he can't even learn from his mistakes as he never even ends up living with them. Just gets rid of them and forgets.

Like New Vegas, there's a few bad endings you can intentionally or not bring about, but the "good" ending isn't entirely clear and it keeps you think about it. Good stuff.

Also even the bad faction, the Children of Atom, like they apparently were pretty chill under the first leader, and there good people there. Seems sort of like the Legion. Not quite enough written there for any real reason to side with them, but you know I don't think that was ever the point of them, and that's fine, sometimes in life there is just groups where you know good people can get mixed up with them, but the fundamental of the groups is just pretty awful.

By far the funniest ending is when you convince the High Confessor that they should set off the nukes should they get access to the key, something he clearly does not want to do, and then pulling out the key while going "Great so we're doing this"

e: I genuinely really like Far Harbor, compared to the base game it's a very well-written and cohesive experience in a very neat locale.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 15, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Haha yep. Also love if you're doing an institute play through they give you to option to go back to them and go, "yep, just found a whole bunch of synth up north", and then you just go through the stages of taking them out.

Like it was DLC that really thought through the various style of play play throughs and try give legitimately thought through ways to play it for pretty much all of them.

(Still wish they left in the deleted ending for Old World Blues where you just left the think tank to run havoc on Nevada.)

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

definitely him being a gross guy in a pod, honestly amazed that he's human after all
\\

think this might be one of those gerald ford moments where they have retrospectively gone back and changed it to make me seem insane

Iirc House is actually considered a monster or some other nonhuman thing in the game code.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

He counts as an 'Abomination' for various challenges

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yes but that’s due to his wealth, not his physical status

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The worst thing about Fallout 4 (OK maybe not the worst, but hear me out) is that the single most annoying character for regular lootin' and shootin' play, Strong the super mutant, may be putting forward the idea of the Master's Unity project but doesn't have the vocabulary for it and so comes off even more annoying than he normally is complaining about you daring to interact with the game's Minecraft aspects.

I think Marcus has voiced his original support for the project, mentioning that a Human friend would have 'made a good mutant'.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The idea of Diamond City was so much better than Diamond City.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Marcus was a full-on Master supporter who thought he had the right idea and is kind of just resigned to the Unity never happening. Kind of serves the same function in the story as the Enclave Remnants in New Vegas, giving extra dimension to the previous game's villains

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LashLightning posted:

The worst thing about Fallout 4 (OK maybe not the worst, but hear me out) is that the single most annoying character for regular lootin' and shootin' play, Strong the super mutant, may be putting forward the idea of the Master's Unity project but doesn't have the vocabulary for it and so comes off even more annoying than he normally is complaining about you daring to interact with the game's Minecraft aspects.

I think Marcus has voiced his original support for the project, mentioning that a Human friend would have 'made a good mutant'.

Marcus said that the Brotherhood Paladin he fought for a few days would have made a drat fine mutant.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

RandolphCarter posted:

The idea of Diamond City was so much better than Diamond City.

You can say this about most of Fallout 4, really.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rappaport posted:

Marcus said that the Brotherhood Paladin he fought for a few days would have made a drat fine mutant.
Jacob. Then he named a whole town after him.

Marcus is a complex guy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KittyEmpress posted:

I mean being turned into a super mutant (if all kept their intelligence and things like nightkin insanity could be cured/stopped) would probably be a net positive for living ability in the post apocalypse.

The ability to lift cars, being healed by radiation instead of poisoned, being tough as the top of the line military hardware with just their skin, rarely needing much sleep....

I don't think it'd be hard to say that it'd probably help in surviving and rebuilding to have those things.

Yep, the only downside -other than infertile and a lost of people coming out stupid, which yeah big downsides really- that the Master seems very controlling. Ostensibly to create a new, conflict free society, better, society. Hard to see him relinquishing control thought once, if ever, that's goals been met.

Like maybe, but seems like a super-mutant society would end up being a dictatorial one, just looking at how the master orginally went about his goals.

LashLightning posted:

Yeah, four -and three as well- did super mutants dirty. :( Would of been nice to have a few super mutants about to chat to get their point of view on things.

And I know talking death claws are a rarity pretty much only confined to two, but wouldn't of minded seeing one or two them about as well.

Honestly being a bit of a hippy, an ending I wish you could of done is if you had animal friend perk, didn't kill an animals, but knocked off all the factions, and sided with yes man, just giving the Mojave wastelands back to the animals. If I ever learn to mod, that would be the first one I'd make.

Geckos are adorable!!!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Fawkes and Leo are easily the best characters in FO3, and that's a game that's highly scant on memorable characters. One of the most notable moments in FNV for me was meeting Mean Sonofabitch and learning he was being sold into slavery while in deep NCR territory... Really made me think about the lives of super mutants after the fall of the Master.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Youremother posted:

One of the most notable moments in FNV for me was meeting Mean Sonofabitch and learning he was being sold into slavery while in deep NCR territory...
Wait. What? 900 hours and I've never gotten this dialog option. Or really any besides "who are you?" "I'm measamabich."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Klamath Bob tells you that stuff