Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A Moose posted:

The problem with pvp in pve games is that the only people who want it, are people who want to pvp with people who don't like or want pvp. If you just make it so that people who want pvp only play against each other, it turns out almost nobody wants that.

There are loads of competitive PvP games out there already, but they're just a fundamentally different experience than Diablo and I think you're right about the sort of player who isn't interested in those games but does want PvP in Diablo. A balanced PvP game has almost nothing in common with a game about becoming extremely powerful and slaughtering screens full of enemies so it'll always be bad if they tack it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

A Moose posted:

The problem with pvp in pve games is that the only people who want it, are people who want to pvp with people who don't like or want pvp. If you just make it so that people who want pvp only play against each other, it turns out almost nobody wants that.

WoW would like to speak with you. Tons of players only play PVP on Wow and especially since the elimination of PvP only realms, you must opt in to PVP. Everyone seems happy with this arrangement. I would not have an issue with them adding opt in PVP in D4.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mayveena posted:

WoW would like to speak with you. Tons of players only play PVP on Wow and especially since the elimination of PvP only realms, you must opt in to PVP. Everyone seems happy with this arrangement. I would not have an issue with them adding opt in PVP in D4.

That's absolutely news to me. Originally PvP took two forms: you rolled on a PvP server (your fault) or they decided their battlegrounds/AV needed players so they locked PvE gear in there. Last I looked into WoW in any form they had turned off PvP, but if you turned it on voluntarily you got a PvE-related boost. The whole thing was designed around the same concept - people who like pvp want pve prey, so we need a way to force pve prey into the pvp space.

Guild Wars 2 has entirely optional PvP and apparently people love it. Your specs are all unlocked (unlike PvE) at level 2 and you can explicitly set one for PvP. Your gear has all stats removed. At best you'll get unique skins, just like the unique skins from PvE or their large-scale World vs World mode, so you only ever go there if you want to. It's popular and highly competitive and I will never have to engage with it.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Opt-in PvP in an otherwise-PvE game is fine so long as it a) does not reward significant PvE power, b) does not force PvE design to conform to PvP ideals and/or balance, and c) does not drain development resources from PvE content.

There's an approximately zero percent chance that all three of those are going to be true in a Blizzard game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can guarantee you that almost nobody interested in Diablo PvP is looking for a fair fight. They may claim that they do in the abstract, but what they actually want is to effortlessly destroy scrubs outside Tristram with their godly gear over and over. That's because annihilating noobs is fun and actually gearing for PvP is stupid and unfun.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

I can guarantee you that almost nobody interested in Diablo PvP is looking for a fair fight. They may claim that they do in the abstract, but what they actually want is to effortlessly destroy scrubs outside Tristram with their godly gear over and over. That's because annihilating noobs is fun and actually gearing for PvP is stupid and unfun.

There's a whole D2 dueling scene that says otherwise. It might not be your thing, but some people enjoy tweaking their pvp builds and even trying to come up with new ones. You rarely see anyone trying to pwn n00bs in regular public games, or going hostile at all, and there are always plenty of dueling games to join. There's even an active "low level" (under 30) dueling scene.

Your post just doesn't reflect contemporary reality at all. 15 years ago? Sure. Today? Nah.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mayveena posted:

They already said that pvp in d4 is opt in. It's limited to a specific zone

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Low level dueling is a legit sub game in d2. It's popular enough you can get Nancy Pelosi rich in jsp money off lucking into some lotto ticket rares.

Elden Ring does pvp well aside from backend jank with server connections. It's opt in, can still do the gank thing if you're good, and you only get matched with people around your power level.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mailer posted:

That's absolutely news to me. Originally PvP took two forms: you rolled on a PvP server (your fault) or they decided their battlegrounds/AV needed players so they locked PvE gear in there. Last I looked into WoW in any form they had turned off PvP, but if you turned it on voluntarily you got a PvE-related boost. The whole thing was designed around the same concept - people who like pvp want pve prey, so we need a way to force pve prey into the pvp space.
The War Mode rewards are fairly modest and generally not worth dealing with any actual PvP from a pure reward standpoint: if you find yourself in a PvP hotspot you're generally better off just disabling it and coming back, or going elsewhere and hoping they leave.

A better example from WoW was the time where Blizzard tried to fix the low-level battleground twink problem by adding an experience lock option that put you in a separate queue with other people who had locked experience. This sounds like a win-win if you believe that twinks wanted to PvP against other twinks, but it turns out that the vast majority of them just wanted to be the tyrants of the 20-29 bracket and so the supposed community almost entirely evaporated.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Incoherence posted:

A better example from WoW was the time where Blizzard tried to fix the low-level battleground twink problem by adding an experience lock option that put you in a separate queue with other people who had locked experience. This sounds like a win-win if you believe that twinks wanted to PvP against other twinks, but it turns out that the vast majority of them just wanted to be the tyrants of the 20-29 bracket and so the supposed community almost entirely evaporated.

This was really funny because there was so much discourse at the time from the twink players that they would "love" a separate twink only bracket, then when given it literally none of them wanted to play it. Even funnier is that they added it in WotLK and for classic WotLK they decided not to keep it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah I had a twink warrior I would play once in a while if I wanted to stomp an entire battleground, wrecking a whole team solo was absolutely the point of it. If I wanted to play similarly geared people I would do bg's on my max level characters

I remember when they did the separate twink bg's, they were a ghost town haha

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
WoW had one singular expansion where PVP damage was normalized regardless of gear. It wasn't perfect, but it was the most fair and fun it had ever been. Some PVE-ers hated it. Farming for the best gear in the game only to get outplayed. So of course, they did away with it the following expansion.

I feel like a good PVP system could work in an ARPG, I just don't think Blizzard can do it. They're too committed to their vocal poopsockers and twitch streamers, since they drive the player interaction metrics. They also love their stunlocks and freezes far too much. Which feels powerful and cool in PVE. Not so much in PVP, when your only counter is a two minute cooldown or RNG.

I thought maybe that type of thing could work in a teamplay based game mode, like the moba-esque pvp they tried in D:I. I tried it in my singular playthrough and hoo boy was it boring and unfun.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I went ahead and made a D4 thread. We're getting a release date this weekend at IGN Fest, so it felt like an appropriate time to dedicate a thread to the game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024085

Maybe it just gets used to lol at what a miserable failure the game is, but that's still fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ehud posted:

I went ahead and made a D4 thread. We're getting a release date this weekend at IGN Fest, so it felt like an appropriate time to dedicate a thread to the game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024085

Maybe it just gets used to lol at what a miserable failure the game is, but that's still fun.

The release date was announced a couple months ago it's June 2nd

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Diablo IV is coming out tomorrow.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo IV is coming out tomorrow.

And the witch doctor will be a class

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
No paladin, no buy. gently caress you Bli$$ard.

:qq:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Node posted:

No paladin, no buy. gently caress you Bli$$ard.

:qq:

Paladin replaced with Satanist.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

IcePhoenix posted:

The release date was announced a couple months ago it's June 2nd

Sorry, I meant beta release date.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

I'd play a Cultist class.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Mustached Demon posted:

Hell yeah :black101:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Maybe we'll get a fallen paladin sometime? I wonder if they've ever considered a class that uses demons or demon magic against demons? It would be kinda cool

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

A Moose posted:

I wonder if they've ever considered a class that uses demons or demon magic against demons? It would be kinda cool

They're just called nephilim.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The original concept for Demon Hunters did partake in more demonic powers, somewhat similar to the Warcraft DH. A couple skills like Shadow Power remain from that early design.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Some of the early character designs had them as demon/human hybrids that were pretty awesome looking

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

One thing I miss about the vanilla DH was how unique Vault felt, it was almost like a 3D platforming shooter, and it was one of the ways I cleared Inferno difficulty. Of course most of the games' evolution has been for the better, but that satisfying vaulting around has been somewhat lost in lieu of amping up a shitload of walking speed and spamming ultra mobile skills like strafe while just melting demons instead.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

whatever community manager is left on the game being told to post anything to stop people from F5ing their forums into the ground posted:

S28 Preview Blog will be up on Friday. As with all our preview blogs, it includes Season start dates, last patch notes post PTR, seasonal journey rewards, etc.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Swilo posted:

[url=https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/so-today-patch-notes/57006/74]

Nice. I have been f5ing because I figured it would be out by now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Well now I'm not going to stop F5ing. :f5h::comeback:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I hope we get either blizz/hydra sorc, whirlwind barb, or thorns crusader as free sets. Those are the main easy-to-pilot things I know, and I want to set the game on cruise control while I listen to podcasts and try to fill in every legendary power.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are there any cool mods/overhauls for D2 Resurrected worth mentioning yet?

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
The set rotations are static.

Season 28 is:
Immortal King's Call
Seeker of the Light
Natalya's Vengeance
Uliana's Stratagem
Spirit of Arachyr
Vyr's Amazing Arcana

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

Russad posted:

The set rotations are static.

Season 28 is:
Immortal King's Call
Seeker of the Light
Natalya's Vengeance
Uliana's Stratagem
Spirit of Arachyr
Vyr's Amazing Arcana

It's been updated for S28, on the PTR it was:
Barb: Savage
Crus: Valor
DH: GoD
Monk: PoJ
Necro: Masquerade
WD: Mundunugu
Wiz: Typhon

wudi has a preview video here going over all of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9FjCmvzFU8

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to go wiz this season. I don't think I've played typhoon before and I haven't done the new meteor build. Unless they changed it, the new dh trap build doesn't look too interesting.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I'm normally a monk or wizard guy but trap DH sounds neat

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hold off on dh until the patch notes hit. They might completely rework the set, but maybe not. I would have expected them to extend the ptr were they doing that, though. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Good point, given that this is probably the final season of d3 that ill play i should roll a monk for nostalgia's sake

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think my favorite Monk Build was Uilana's Exploding Fist but I haven't played it in years. I think the biggest hurdle is that whenever I look up guides I keep seeing people talking about applying Mythic Rhythm and buffed Exploding Palms and I'm too stupid to understand that and I end up playing WW Bard or Bombardment Crusader instead so I can play while watching YouTube videos instead.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Good point, given that this is probably the final season of d3 that ill play i should roll a monk for nostalgia's sake

Monk gonna get memory holed so enjoy it while it lasts for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I played Grim Dawn and Last Epoch to death, finally considering Diablo but I'm poor atm. D4 expensive. D3 Primevil is on sale atm tho.

Basically asking the age-old question of 'would you recommend this game now to new players?'