Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sankara posted:

Recently got my rear end kicked pretty bad, need something to help pass the time as I heal. Something that doesn't require reflexes, I can play with one hand, and ideally a chill atmosphere. (I know about Vampire Survivors)

Stardew Valley maybe? It's super chill, and the controller could easily be played one-handed with a bit of adjustment (or remapping).

Not quite chill, but if Vampire Survivors amused you for a while, then Brotato costs a fiver, is also only played with the stick, and I've enjoyed it a lot. There are no actual meta-upgrades, just some characters/items that unlock, giving it more staying power imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Just a note: I tried to play this recently and it wouldn't start. Not sure if it works on Win10 or if I did something wrong.

And yeah, small games: you could do the old Commander Keen games (Keen4 is shareware), the original two Duke Nukem games, or Crystal Caves / Secret Agent Man (which have HD remasters).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Iji and nuclear throne are good recs. In the iji vein of classic freeware there's also cave story if you haven't already played it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Ooh, big fan of metroidvanias, so that seems like it's a perfect fit! Thank you very much.
Have you played Carrion? I don't know the specs but I can't imagine them being huge.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

Just a note: I tried to play this recently and it wouldn't start. Not sure if it works on Win10 or if I did something wrong.

Oh, that's a shame. :smith:

Thanks for letting everyone know.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looking for a game that involves extensive exploration of one of those giant cruise ships.

Might replay SS2 in the meantime.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

Looking for a game that involves extensive exploration of one of those giant cruise ships.

if it doesn't have to be realistic, Fashion Police Squad has a giant cruise ship level

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Splicer posted:

I recently reinstalled SS2. It is such a good game. I'm having a blast with it even though it is ancient.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sankara posted:

Recently got my rear end kicked pretty bad, need something to help pass the time as I heal. Something that doesn't require reflexes, I can play with one hand, and ideally a chill atmosphere. (I know about Vampire Survivors)

This is sort of long, but here are a bunch which occurred to me:

Soulstone survivors is a good vampire survivors like! Brotato is also good, as is Mob Mania.

maybe SNKRX? Sort of snake but also an autobattler

Rogue tower is a tower defense, so easy to take breaks.

Loop hero is pretty chill - you build the environment that a hero battles through, powering him up to fight a final boss.

Leaf blower revolution if you want to fully turn off your brain, same with galactic mining corp -- they are basically idle games with a minigame attached.

Kingdom: Two crowns requires just a joystick, a button, and a trigger, so if you have a controller with a paddle it is a very easy one handed game. You run around building up a kingdom, a bit hard to understand at first but checking a steam guide (or just finding out) works.

Sexy Brutale is a time looping puzzle game, where you figure out some murders in a mansion. Point and click movement.

For the King or Pit People are both turn based tactics games where you adventure over a map and fight people.

Any of the poly bridge games could be good -- physics based bridge building games.

Golf with your friends is very chill. and good, as the title suggests, with friends, but a fun minigolf game on its own.

Ofc Slay the spire, dicey dungeon, monster train and similar games all fit the control requirements, though they are not chill atmospheres.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Looking for a game, for PS5 or PC (high end build).

I'm seeking something I can sink a lot of time into, ideally in 30-60min chunks. Preferably with some degree of crossover between single-player and multi-player (my schedule with kids can make it hard to find time with friends, but I do have a solid group of gaming friends).

Not big on twitchy games, but I am open. Above all else I want something that rewards time investment and has a good amount of depth; but often my sessions are capped between 30-60min (though not always)

Any suggestions? Very open to various genres

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Deep Rock Galactic

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Elden Ring

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Walked posted:

Looking for a game, for PS5 or PC (high end build).

I'm seeking something I can sink a lot of time into, ideally in 30-60min chunks. Preferably with some degree of crossover between single-player and multi-player (my schedule with kids can make it hard to find time with friends, but I do have a solid group of gaming friends).

Not big on twitchy games, but I am open. Above all else I want something that rewards time investment and has a good amount of depth; but often my sessions are capped between 30-60min (though not always)

Any suggestions? Very open to various genres

Any of the Monster Hunter titles! 30 minutes is enough time for most of the hunts, and none are over 60 (there's a time limit to the missions).

The most recent MH titles are World and Rise. I think World is the better game overall and a better series introduction (and it looks GORGEOUS on a high-end PC with the free high-res texture pack), but Rise has a much faster pace, as they streamlined several aspects of the game (ex: monsters are on your minimap from the start) and reduced the "filler" between missions. Also you can ride a doggy around, which is much faster than running around in World. World eventually lets you ride mounts, but IIRC it's a fairly late-game perk.

World is my favorite game of the 2010s and I loving love it. Rise is also great, but I prefer the slower pace of World. For you though, it sounds like Rise would better fit your schedule.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Splicer posted:

It's grossly imperfect, but: https://www.gog.com/en/game/starship_titanic

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, that's a shame. :smith:

Thanks for letting everyone know.

Actually, just noticed something after your reply: I tried it with AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity which is the first game from 2009. Your link is to AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome which is the "semi-sequel" from 2011. I have not played that one, so maybe that one will run for all I know.

I like the way that they looked at these names and said, "Yeah, no way those names will ever get confusing." They should have just called it BbBbBB??? Only issue is then they'd have gotten sued by Terry Cavanagh once they made the 21st sequel.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
thankfully those idiots were too busy obliterating themselves with hot indie takes of "the non-indie space has no ideas left and just copies itself" and then releasing an absolutely dreadful Katamari Damacy clone

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Splicer posted:

X-com terror from the deep. You will spend 20 turns searching every closet in every cabin of a cruise ship for that one surviving enemy. When you find it, it will immediately kill your soldier. Then you get to explore again to find where it's gone!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hwurmp posted:

if it doesn't have to be realistic, Fashion Police Squad has a giant cruise ship level
I should have said "deserted or mostly deserted cruise ship". The exploration is key.

pun pundit posted:

X-com terror from the deep. You will spend 20 turns searching every closet in every cabin of a cruise ship for that one surviving enemy. When you find it, it will immediately kill your soldier. Then you get to explore again to find where it's gone!
What kind of monster wishes lobstermen on people.
Huh. For 6 bucks I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

LLSix posted:

I recently reinstalled SS2. It is such a good game. I'm having a blast with it even though it is ancient.
I know, especially with the graphics mods. I realised what I want is basically SS2 but on a cruise ship instead of a spaceship. Give me Virus the game of the movie.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Saul Kain posted:

Elden Ring

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

Shine posted:

Any of the Monster Hunter titles! 30 minutes is enough time for most of the hunts, and none are over 60 (there's a time limit to the missions).

The most recent MH titles are World and Rise. I think World is the better game overall and a better series introduction (and it looks GORGEOUS on a high-end PC with the free high-res texture pack), but Rise has a much faster pace, as they streamlined several aspects of the game (ex: monsters are on your minimap from the start) and reduced the "filler" between missions. Also you can ride a doggy around, which is much faster than running around in World. World eventually lets you ride mounts, but IIRC it's a fairly late-game perk.

World is my favorite game of the 2010s and I loving love it. Rise is also great, but I prefer the slower pace of World. For you though, it sounds like Rise would better fit your schedule.

Thanks all; ironically all of these were on my radar (and I own DRG, but havent played it)

Appreciate it, going to read some deeper reviews and pick one for committed play

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Out of all those, DRG has been my favourite for short sessions. The pubbies are super friendly and there's tons of folks playing at any given time. If I can't immediately find a group, I just start it solo and inevitably folks join after a minute or two in. The difficulty scales accordingly. It's so dang easy.

DRG's solo mode works fine as well, you get a little robot buddy who helps you out :3:

MHW has a similar drop in/drop out system but it takes a long time to learn the mechanics and not get lost in the maps. You''ll probably have to put aside a weekend to really get into it.
E: and cutscenes only play for one player in co-op unfortunately

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 15, 2023

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

999 isn't really about exploration at all but it sure does take place on an empty cruise ship

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

And you've played Prey, right? Right??

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Jack B Nimble posted:

And you've played Prey, right? Right??

The TransStar facility reminds me of a cruise ship actually. Play Prey.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Prey is basically System Shock 3. Prey Play.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Did anyone ever make any games that are anything like Sid Meier's Pirates? I don't care if they're actually pirate-themed or not but those games are really cool

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

DoubleDonut posted:

Did anyone ever make any games that are anything like Sid Meier's Pirates? I don't care if they're actually pirate-themed or not but those games are really cool

Starsector or Space Rangers HD both nail the "privateer in a moving universe" feeling. Starsector is the better game, Space Rangers has the weird minigames (and it's still a good game).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

DoubleDonut posted:

Just last month Tortuga - A Pirate's Tale released which is basically SM: Pirates modernized. I've only seen reviews though and have been tempted to pick it up myself.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I've been playing through EYE Divine Cybermancy co-op campaign with a buddy and now I have an urge to find more what I can only describe as "bizarre passion project games." Things like Deadly Premonition, Cruelty Squad etc. Games that kind of... shouldn't work on paper but the sheer vision of the creative team holds it all together somehow. Shooters/co-op preferred but not strictly necessary.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

magic cactus posted:

I've been playing through EYE Divine Cybermancy co-op campaign with a buddy and now I have an urge to find more what I can only describe as "bizarre passion project games." Things like Deadly Premonition, Cruelty Squad etc. Games that kind of... shouldn't work on paper but the sheer vision of the creative team holds it all together somehow. Shooters/co-op preferred but not strictly necessary.

Northern Journey.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

magic cactus posted:

Earth Defense Force. 4.1 or 5

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Vadun posted:

Earth Defense Force. 4.1 or 5

These games are pure whimsical joy.

I suggest trying 4.1 first. They're both great games, but the QoL features in 5 will make it a touch rough to play 4.1 second. 4.1's story is also I think a better series introduction, and the somewhat (by EDF standards) deadpan silliness of 5 is better appreciated after the more overtly bizarre nature of 4.1. Both games ride that line where they know they're goofy, whimsical games, but they don't lean into it so hard that they're making fun of themselves; the characters take their bizarre world completely seriously and it's hella endearing.

4.1 also has a superior EDF theme song. Not the title music, but the song that soldiers will sing in chorus during battle to keep their spirits up. 5's song, though, gets bonus points for rhyming "aliens" with "homosapiens."

Anyway, get either of them and enjoy. EDF! EDF!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

magic cactus posted:

Not a shooter or coop, but it triggered the same "wtf is this weird poo poo, I love it" reaction - Who's Lila?

I guess Signalis fits? It has "creative vision" for days, incredible game

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dread Delusion, maybe. It's not done yet but it's definitely a solo game with a vision.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Dread Delusion, maybe. It's not done yet but it's definitely a solo game with a vision.

And if we're talking about EA games then definitely check out Death Trash - got it a while ago, I liked what I saw a lot, now waiting for the content to be done so I don't spoil myself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just realized that I can't really name a good game with strong necromancer theming.

Anyone got any good games where you play as a necromancer?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jack Trades posted:

I just realized that I can't really name a good game with strong necromancer theming.

Undead Horde for the standard necromancer experience and Sword of the Necromancer for something a little different.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Jack Trades posted:

Boneraiser Minions is one of the best Vampire Survivor-likes and all about being a nasty necromancer.

Loop Hero also has a pretty cool necromancer class you can play as.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm gonna be honest, using the word "play" when it comes to Loop Hero is really stretching it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Dragon Age promised pre-release that the player can "enslave nations beneath the tyranny of your powerful necromancy", which sounds very specific so definitely check that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jack Trades posted:

Age of Wonders 3, and, in a few months, age of Wonders 4