Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Buckle up, this poo poo’s gonna be a wild ride to the end.

It's hard to believe Boston and Carolina don't wipe the floor with whatever two teams come out of this trash heap.

Washington put a scare into Florida last year as a Wild Card but Florida was also a pretty flawed team. Boston and Carolina aren't perfect but neither seems like the type of team to choke to any of the wild card teams in the East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, we got a potential finals matchup tonight and I expect Boston to string like 6 on Dallas. Go Stars!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Excited to see what happens with Vladislav "Ilya Lyubushkin 2.0" Gavrikov.

e: lol, Damien Cox wrote a hot take column in the Star, saying that the Leafs should fire Keefe and hire Boudreau right now. Seems to be too cowardly to tweet about it except congratulating himself for his bold vision:

https://twitter.com/DamoSpin/status/1625305471740510208

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 14, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/based_shesty/status/1625266559064199168

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Specific to Boston and Carolina the Pens have 0 wins in the 6 match ups thus far, but 3OT losses and the remaining losses were by a single goal. Which is about as optimistic about losing as I'm going to be.

As has been repeated a lot by PAS this year the Penguins are an incredibly flawed team as constructed right now. With the right tweak or two in the bottom or elsewhere maybe who knows. Last year the Pens had an obvious hole in the top 6 and they addressed it. Hextall during his mid year statement also said he knows the team is flawed and they have to address some things. So just have to wait and see and be patient and hope he pushes the correct buttons. Of course all of this will go out the window immediately with injuries. Something that has nagged the back end and goaltending position all year.

Cartoon Man posted:

Buckle up, this poo poo’s gonna be a wild ride to the end.

Not really sorry to say. Washington might be a bit precarious and as I said yesterday the Islanders do have a pile of games against Pittsburgh, but I think the teams all end up where they are currently with Washington and Pittsburgh maybe swapping.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
how are things looking over on flames message boards?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1625540730629328897

quote:

NEW YORK - ESPN, Disney Channel and the NHL are teaming up to bring fans the "NHL Big City Greens Classic," the first-ever live, animated NHL game telecast, featuring the Washington Capitals vs. New York Rangers, on March 14 at 7 p.m. EDT.

The alternate presentation of the Capitals-Rangers game will feature live, real-time volumetric animation of players and teams modeled after characters on Disney Branded Television's Emmy® Award-winning animated comedy "Big City Greens." ESPN+, Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney+ will present the live, animated telecast, while the main telecast will be available on ESPN and ESPN+.

this sounds so bizarre. i know some of you don't like it when I outwardly pray for Trouba to brain people. but for the love of God, I must see that happen in this thing. or if Tom Wilson wants to try to stone cold stunner Panarin again...I won't like it but it's a sacrifice that must be made.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

this sounds so bizarre. i know some of you don't like it when I outwardly pray for Trouba to brain people. but for the love of God, I must see that happen in this thing. or if Tom Wilson wants to try to stone cold stunner Panarin again...I won't like it but it's a sacrifice that must be made.

This is cursed. I have doubts that they'll be showing the Disney characters actually doing anything but comically bouncing off each other.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1625540730629328897

Lol I want to see a whimsical animation of Trouba trucking someone into oblivion. Like he sends the guy into a person shaped hole in the ice like it’s a looney tunes.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

This is cursed. I have doubts that they'll be showing the Disney characters actually doing anything but comically bouncing off each other.

"This is just frightening here...he is conscious, you can see the eyes open, oh, OH! Look at that! Oh my goodness...oh! I just can't...I can't believe we just saw that. They dropped--that was live in the tunnel--they just dropped the stretcher! Oh my goodness..."

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
cbc's the national did a story on ovechkin/putin which is not anything we don't already know but did make some interesting points about the "he has family in russia so he cant say anything" argument
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2Ci9x-Hfs

also watch if youre interested in seeing hasek sitting uncomfortably close to an interviewer

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/nhl_watcher/status/1625636005742092288?s=46&t=bGPpErCRGyxTRUrd8uUYNQ

Who’s trading for this years Ben Chiarot

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

clean ayers act posted:

cbc's the national did a story on ovechkin/putin which is not anything we don't already know but did make some interesting points about the "he has family in russia so he cant say anything" argument

also watch if youre interested in seeing hasek sitting uncomfortably close to an interviewer

I've never really bought that argument. Like what, he takes the Putin picture off his Instagram and his family gets polonium cocktails straight away? I doubt it. His privilege comes from being part of this system (which he married even more deeply into) and it's potentially awkward and comprising to do anything about it. He's not like... responsible for dead Ukrainians. But he doesn't have a gun to his head either.

Yes, I now he's still in my avi.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

he's close to breaking the scoring record. he's not gonna speak out and risk access to his steroids or risk Putin leaking info about his past steroid use.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

mennoknight posted:

how are things looking over on flames message boards?

Can he play net?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The NHL trade deadline is so bloody boring.

Philly need to being back Homer.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I don't know but I'm excited to see who does because somebody's getting fleeced.

Related:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1625657350802530307?t=WqHA0wScRznQYaZbuArR3Q&s=19

Tell me you're tanking without telling me, etc.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

I've never really bought that argument. Like what, he takes the Putin picture off his Instagram and his family gets polonium cocktails straight away? I doubt it. His privilege comes from being part of this system (which he married even more deeply into) and it's potentially awkward and comprising to do anything about it. He's not like... responsible for dead Ukrainians. But he doesn't have a gun to his head either.

Yes, I now he's still in my avi.

What was the impetus for when the Russians tried to say Panarin was a rapist? I'd imagine that would be the sort of thing that someone would theoretically be worried about.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

What was the impetus for when the Russians tried to say Panarin was a rapist? I'd imagine that would be the sort of thing that someone would theoretically be worried about.

He spoke ill of Putin and even joked about a laser dot showing up on him during the interview for saying it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

He's said plenty and made it very clear:

He has explicitly supported Putin, until the latest invasion started, when it became clear that continuing to do so would cause a massive backlash in the US. There hasn't been a single indication that he thinks otherwise and the 'friends/family in Russia' argument is extremely lovely.

I don't get why so many people here are giving him the benefit of doubt (or just ignoring it completely).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If I was gonna sign up for a Patreon to get access to fancy player cards for TDL season, which one do people recommend? I’ve seen EvolvingHockey, JFresh, The Athletic, Andy & Rono, or something else?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

He has explicitly supported Putin, until the latest invasion started, when it became clear that continuing to do so would cause a massive backlash in the US. There hasn't been a single indication that he thinks otherwise and the 'friends/family in Russia' argument is extremely lovely.

I don't get why so many people here are giving him the benefit of doubt (or just ignoring it completely).

How is this different to the massive number of American NHL players who support the administrations that commit war crimes here?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

drat Devils just keep on winning here without Hughes

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd like to thank the State of New Jersey for depriving Columbus of a point, if not two, in the tank campaign.

If it were any other season or that happened, I'd be irate, but not this one. Columbus played well enough to get OT and were saved from themselves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HookShot posted:

How is this different to the massive number of American NHL players who support the administrations that commit war crimes here?

Ban them too.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Well, this thread usually isn't afraid of calling them out...but since you are one of his fans, how do you justify it?
(Also whataboutism is a really poor argument).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/OmiGoodness4/status/1625692344308596737?t=lIxjteVVP2Q6_b63kt6_Mg&s=19

:allears:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Well, this thread usually isn't afraid of calling them out...but since you are one of his fans, how do you justify it?
(Also whataboutism is a really poor argument).

I don’t justify it. It’s lovely that he publicly supports Putin. It’s also lovely that all the players who publicly support war mongering American presidents. But people can be lovely and still be great hockey players.

But don’t pretend you call out lovely opinioned American players, too.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
it is remarkable how miles wood manages to get worse every year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I do. It’s like my whole thing.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

If I was gonna sign up for a Patreon to get access to fancy player cards for TDL season, which one do people recommend? I’ve seen EvolvingHockey, JFresh, The Athletic, Andy & Rono, or something else?

i liked JFresh’s cards but he’s a bit of a dunce. so I just use The Athletic’s when I want that sort of thing. they’re not as good, and they’re not really historical, and they’re just on a bunch of web pages, and Dom is also a bit of a dunce, but uh The Athletic has a bunch of good content otherwise.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
i collect prostars

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

mennoknight posted:

i collect prostars

you collect prostates

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

I don’t justify it. It’s lovely that he publicly supports Putin.

But you are actively cheering for him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

because they think he's a cool and likeable guy and don't want to believe he has extremely lovely views on things

e: most US/Canadian players aren't as public about their politics and support for lovely people so most of the time we don't hear about it. Ovechkin has been quite public about his support for Putin

People all called out and laughed at Tony DeAngelo for being lovely, for example

With sports this is mostly "the only winning move is to not play" kind of things since the majority of athletes are poo poo people who believe and support poo poo things so yeah you can always "whatabout" this to death up until people just stop watching sports altogether but there's still a line IMO between the people who use their star status to promote the horrible policies of someone like Putin and others who just privately might agree with them (because when you use your power to promote lovely things that's worse than just agreeing with lovely things IMO)

Levitate fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 15, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'd just love to see the rule applied evenly because Bread's full throated support of a crypto fascist allied with hyper nationalists is gross as poo poo.

But I still love watching that goofy idiot play for my team and be an ice wizard.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Man, the Avs got a lovely February schedule. 3 back-to-backs against a rested team where the Avs have to travel the night before. Against Minnesota tomorrow, Edmonton on Sunday, and Calgary on Saturday the 25th, with the 3 teams they are competing against for a playoff spot being those 3 rested teams on the 2nd night of their back-to-back games.

Those games matter so much more, that all the top guys got rested in the 3rd tonight against the Bolts and the Avs then dropped their lead and had to play some lovely boring OT hockey.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Kraken are proving Rex right since the all star break and it's making me sad. 1-3-1 10 GF 18 GA :(

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought the Stars looked pretty good last night and against Tampa. I watched both games because I was curious how they stack up against the best teams in the East. I never felt like they were threatening though. Like, even when they had a lead against Boston late last night, or the PP in overtime, I didn't feel like them winning was imminent. Oettinger is amazing and keeps them in games, and Robertson/Hintz are scary, but the team as a whole doesn't feel like they're on quite the same tier as the better Eastern teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Vancouver Canucks currently have the worst penalty kill in NHL history (65.4%) and the second worst save percentage in NHL history (.876) behind only the 95/96 Sharks. This team rules.