Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, Diablo 2 has controller support on PC? Afaik D3 never got controller support so I figured support for D2 was a crapshoot and got them on Switch when they dipped super low last holiday season.

Yeah. D3 is from another era. D4 will also have controller support, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The switch version of Diablo 3 is better than the PC version of Diablo 3 on the Deck

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

The switch version of Diablo 3 is better than the PC version of Diablo 3 on the Deck

Switch D3 was truly the perfect version of that game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

jokes posted:

How so? Is it just the controller support, or are there actual differences in content?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

jokes posted:

Can’t do seasons if you’re emulating, right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Commander Keene posted:

How so? Is it just the controller support, or are there actual differences in content?

They cut down on certain graphical things for the Switch that made it run smoothly/good on the Switch, so it's a very smooth experience on the Deck. It has controller support and it's about 10 billion times better with controller.

Being able to play it in a handheld form factor was definitely the definitive way to play D3, which I maintain ended up being a very, very good game.

You can't do seasons I don't think but honestly I never thought to try.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Switch D3 was truly the perfect version of that game.

It was really good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just did some back of the napkin math on the napkin in my head and, per the thread title, I think going on the eshop and re-buying all the games that I want to play and also already own on steam/epic/gog, so that I can play them on the switch, would actually pay for a deck.

Thats crazy, and speaks to the wild amount of discount and free software on the Steam/PC side, drat.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So really, the Deck pays for itself. Free Steam Decks for everyone who's had a Steam account for 10 years or more! :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You'd be stupid not to buy one! Its just leaving money on the table!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Tired: Playing GoldenEye on Switch
Wired: Playing Perfect Dark on Deck

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You'd be stupid not to buy one! Its just leaving money on the table!

I've saved so much money playing Switch games on the Deck, which looks and run much better, it's paid for itself 10 times over even if it's 0 dollars. Go Deck!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

jokes posted:

They cut down on certain graphical things for the Switch that made it run smoothly/good on the Switch, so it's a very smooth experience on the Deck. It has controller support and it's about 10 billion times better with controller.

Being able to play it in a handheld form factor was definitely the definitive way to play D3, which I maintain ended up being a very, very good game.

You can't do seasons I don't think but honestly I never thought to try.

Seasonal is the only way I play anymore. Starting from scratch but having a series of objectives and rewards along the way is more fun for me than being left to your own devices totally unguided.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Hey is the discord in the sticky supposed to be the Deckmate discord? I thought it was supposed to be the deck goon discord.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Talorat posted:

Hey is the discord in the sticky supposed to be the Deckmate discord? I thought it was supposed to be the deck goon discord.

I'm way too high and after 30 minutes I still can't tell if this is a joke

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://discord.gg/QpwQVHf7

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Barreft posted:

I'm way too high and after 30 minutes I still can't tell if this is a joke

No the link in the OP does actually go to the Deckmate discord. I think there may have been a mixup there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only thing that keeps me from buying a Steam deck is that I already don't use my Switch as a handheld, and anytime I've owned a laptop I always had it plugged into monitors and speakers like a desktop PC. Just saving myself from the absurdity of hooking my steam deck up to the same monitors my PC is hooked up to.

And yet there's still part of me that checks on it like maybe there's a threshold where I just say gently caress it and get one anyway.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Khanstant posted:

The only thing that keeps me from buying a Steam deck is that I already don't use my Switch as a handheld, and anytime I've owned a laptop I always had it plugged into monitors and speakers like a desktop PC. Just saving myself from the absurdity of hooking my steam deck up to the same monitors my PC is hooked up to.

And yet there's still part of me that checks on it like maybe there's a threshold where I just say gently caress it and get one anyway.

Yeah I mean, you can play switch games, and any games really on it. even if you pirate them its incredibly easy. but if you dont like handheld then yeah just pass i guess

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

For me it's worthwhile even to use it connected to a monitor because my PC has a problem with screen tearing that I can't seem to fix no matter what I do, I've tried enabling Vsync/Gsync, disabling them, fullscreen, windowed, whatever. But my Deck works fine with the same monitor, so it's preferable to play games on it, even if I am sitting at my desk.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got the Jsaux hub in, works perfectly as far as I can tell.

Plus now I can get rid of my goofy stand I got that didn't quite have a slim/low profile.

I didn't need a charger because I already had the 65w anker nano II (which generally is better anyways because it doesn't block ports unlike other chunky chargers)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

For me it's worthwhile even to use it connected to a monitor because my PC has a problem with screen tearing that I can't seem to fix no matter what I do, I've tried enabling Vsync/Gsync, disabling them, fullscreen, windowed, whatever. But my Deck works fine with the same monitor, so it's preferable to play games on it, even if I am sitting at my desk.

that sounds bizarre. do you think it's a gpu fault?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For some reason Core Keeper runs very well on deck, but gets like 10fps on my PC even though my PC isn't *that* old (it can still run basically every new release albeit not on high settings). So I appreciate the deck for that, somehow being more powerful than my desktop.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rinkles posted:

that sounds bizarre. do you think it's a gpu fault?
I have no idea, but I also don't really care enough to fix it TBH, I have a solution that works. It is kinda annoying that this $600 handheld I bought plays games better on my monitor than the $1300 desktop but whatever.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

I have no idea, but I also don't really care enough to fix it TBH, I have a solution that works. It is kinda annoying that this $600 handheld I bought plays games better on my monitor than the $1300 desktop but whatever.

*$400 handheld*

That, uh, sounds like an issue on your PCs end there

Or specifically user error, if you're that blase about big purchases like $400 I'll take that PC off your hands for $100. It definitely sounds like a monitor issue so I suggest buying a new PC

I keep walking headfirst into doors, I'm getting massive headaches, these doors suck but I just don't care enough to fix this situation. Ow my head went into the door again

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 15, 2023

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Do the triggers on the back only work on game mode games? I can't get Dolphin or Primehack to recognize them in the controller config (in desktop mode). I've changed back and forth between controller and desktop controls, but they still aren't recognized and I'm not sure if it's a deck issue or an emulator program issue.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Foul Fowl posted:

has anyone tried crash 4 or teardown on the deck? i've got my eye on both.

Teardown runs reasonably well. Performance could be an issue if you wanna play around with the more destructive mods.

The menus seem to use mouse even if you have a controller plugged in so you may want to fiddle with the controller layout if you plan to play on a tv.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PantsBandit posted:

Tired: Playing GoldenEye on Switch
Wired: Playing Perfect Dark on Deck

If I could get it to recognize multiple controllers, I'd be all set.

Khanstant posted:

Just my two cents, but I've had a switch since 2018, and I HATE playing it handheld. Granted, I haven't bought a Satisfye grip, so there's that, but the Switch, to me, is incredibly uncomfortable to hold.

Not so for the deck. I've owned one since early October, and I've played it for at least 90 minutes each day. It's so comfortable and feels SO much better than holding joycons. My hands don't get tired at all, unlike how they feel maybe 30 minutes after playing switch in portable mode.

Also, for any game that doesn't require really quick reflexes, I can easily stream from my deck to the tv via the Steam app (that I installed on my Google Chromecast). It's not perfect but it beats shelling out money for the dock.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 15, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does RDR2 upload to the Steam cloud? I’m thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling because it won’t connect to the Rockstar Social Club, robbing me of the ability to play the game I legally bought from them.

No steam cloud it uses the rockstar bullshit for cloud saves. It’s super annoying.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

It’s a hell of a lot more comfortable to use in hand than my switch.

Switch emulation is very hit and miss though so don’t let “you can play your switch games on it!” be a deciding factor in picking it up, some games run ok but a lot of games run just as poorly or worse or not at all.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

The only way tearing will occur is if the output framerate doesn't match the display's refresh rate, or rather, if the rates don't match appropriately enough and the display draws from multiple frames in a single refresh (in other words, a fixed 30 FPS should be fine on a 60 Hz display, as an example.)

Vsync will prevent tearing, at the cost of input lag; Gsync, if available, is a much better choice. If you're still getting tearing then neither of the aforementioned is actually enabled. Either that, or you're experiencing something else that isn't actually tearing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr Phillby posted:

Teardown runs reasonably well. Performance could be an issue if you wanna play around with the more destructive mods.

The menus seem to use mouse even if you have a controller plugged in so you may want to fiddle with the controller layout if you plan to play on a tv.

i picked up crash 4 and it's got a butter smooth 60fps at medium settings. :nice: :steam: :pubstove:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Do the triggers on the back only work on game mode games? I can't get Dolphin or Primehack to recognize them in the controller config (in desktop mode). I've changed back and forth between controller and desktop controls, but they still aren't recognized and I'm not sure if it's a deck issue or an emulator program issue.
None of the buttons on the Deck do anything if they're not programmed to do it, like the A button on the deck doesn't intrinsically send an gamepad A button press to the game. On the desktop config I don't think the paddles are bound to anything by default. So you have to choose a hotkey to bind them to in Steam Input and then bind that hotkey to whatever in Dolphin.

You're gonna be better off launching it from game mode or at the very least big picture mode on the desktop, so they get their own input map you can rebind instead of changing the global desktop one just for Dolphin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

No steam cloud it uses the rockstar bullshit for cloud saves. It’s super annoying.

I just last night started a new game on my pc with the intention of picking it up on the deck when it arrives, will that not work?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just last night started a new game on my pc with the intention of picking it up on the deck when it arrives, will that not work?

It will if you are logged into the rockstar social club thing on the pc and the deck.

It’s annoying AF and I lost my save because I wasn’t logged in to their poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
By all accounts games seem to run fine off of SD cards and there's no advantage to having a larger SSD with games installed directly on it. Is that accurate?

I presume that since I'm fairly handy with hardware and like to tinker that buying a base model and a 30 dollar 256GB SSD is a clear better value than buying the midrange version.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

By all accounts games seem to run fine off of SD cards and there's no advantage to having a larger SSD with games installed directly on it. Is that accurate?

They run fine from my experience but the only thing I’ve had issues with is installing large games and updates to large games on the SD card. It seems to take significantly longer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I presume that since I'm fairly handy with hardware and like to tinker that buying a base model and a 30 dollar 256GB SSD is a clear better value than buying the midrange version.

If you're confident in cracking it open replacing the SSD is just like any other M.2 SSD. Though make sure you get a 2230 length one.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's accurate.

The SSD must be specifically a single-sided M.2 2230 SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you’re going to save some money and crack it open anyway why not just put a 512GB SSD in

The other limitation people don’t always mention is wherever you install the games it puts a bunch of cache on the SSD and unless you want to be janitoring that forever a bigger drive will let you ignore it more effectively.