Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MSPain posted:

i've really been liking tdac1632. i haven't gotten super far, but what i've seen has been really quality. god i love this game.

I want in on the next goon wad.

I'm putting something together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MSPain posted:

I want in on the next goon wad.

same

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A.o.D. posted:

The secret isn't timed at all. There's an instant linedef that closes the switch to the SSG secret when you cross it. The purpose of the teleporter is to bypass that linedef.

Yeah I noticed that but couldn't figure out how to bypass it so I used noclip

Don't tell my mom please :ohdear:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

koren posted:

MAP01: "Palsie" by granggg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-JdY0q8YhQ
A nice straightforward looping techbase layout to get things started. There's a decent flow through the map, grinding away at low to mid tiers with the shotgun and using rockets against larger clusters of boys. I wish I had checked behind the starting door for the SSG secret at the start because it's a classic secret location, but the lack of the SSG doesn't really hurt the pacing of the map at all. There's enough opportunities for infighting and rockets to keep things moving briskly.

The sagging/drooping walls were nice looking and a cute way to integrate the symptoms of palsy into the map. It always got me on edge when things started to shift even if it ultimately didn't have any real gameplay purpose. Perhaps it would have been cool to have the drooping walls integrated as traps for a sudden lowering of a monster on a pillar or bars receding to create a nice ambush rather than the reliance on standard rapid-opening monster closets.

A good time in all, cheers.

a little late but thanks for playing, reviewing, and posting a vid! it was my first map and took a huge amount of mental energy for me so it means a lot that you go the theme with the title and the walls.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I am extremely up for working on a prefab map pack, kitbashing is hell of fun and you can do some neat things with neighboring sectors that don't seem like they fit. Also...

There's now an update to a few maps! It's bugfixes for a few maps, plus A.o.D. has made adjustments to MAP03 to make it even Doomier.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Finished up D&C. Really nice work.

Man, map 8 was touuuuugh

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

Finished up D&C. Really nice work.

Man, map 8 was touuuuugh

Made Away Themselves? Was it the Valley of Pain or the Barrel Pit that was the biggest problem?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

A.o.D. posted:

Made Away Themselves? Was it the Valley of Pain or the Barrel Pit that was the biggest problem?

Valley of Pain was rough but I managed to run through it to a better position.

This was just a first 'rocket only' map. Lots of dancing.

I've been working my way through the top 100 wads and have been so used to hard maps = slaughter maps. Was really cool to see an entire wad of fairly difficult maps with lower monster count, not to mention so many maps from goons.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 25, 2023

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A.o.D. look at this. look at the situation you put me in :negative:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Looks fine, you have 106% armor! :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

A.o.D. look at this. look at the situation you put me in :negative:

Those are some very nice doors you're looking at. Be sure to tip the organ player.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've been looking for a 100% kill speedrun of a level from Final Doom, but I don't remember which level it was or if it was from Plutonia or TNT. Can anybody identify which level this is from my lovely drawing? There is a key in the upper right corner and I think the exit is on the left in a room full of revenants or archviles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sounds like maybe Plutonia MAP32: Go 2 It, specifically the outdoor part at the linked part in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXwnXAi1w0&t=632s

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SkunkDuster posted:

I've been looking for a 100% kill speedrun of a level from Final Doom, but I don't remember which level it was or if it was from Plutonia or TNT. Can anybody identify which level this is from my lovely drawing? There is a key in the upper right corner and I think the exit is on the left in a room full of revenants or archviles.

This is absolutely MAP32 of PLUTONIA.WAD, specifically the refurbished/refitted DOOM II MAP01 area.

Man, the days gone by when this loving map required a top-tier player to even complete :allears:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I also immediately recognized Go 2 It and lmfao this map was at some point considered impossible. G2I is straight up easy compared to some of the best, most well rounded maps these days.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Volte posted:

Sounds like maybe Plutonia MAP32: Go 2 It, specifically the outdoor part at the linked part in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXwnXAi1w0&t=632s

That is exactly it. That has always been one of my favorite maps. Thanks!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Go 2 It is still pretty hard to do without saving...at least for me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Now that TDAC1632 has been released, I thought I'd try my hand at producing a new community project.

I present to you The Hell Despot A community project targeted to the MBF21 map format and using the CC4 and Doom2 texture sets.

Have you ever wanted to create a Doom map but the very thought of drawing lines sends you into a nervous break down? The Hell Despot takes care of that for you! The premise of this project is that you have a selection of 12 prefabricated templates with which to create a map. ONLY those pieces can be used to create your maps. You cannot create any sectors, draw any lines, or place any vertices.

Obviously this brings some limitations, but there are a number of freedoms.

You can use one, some, or all of the templates to create your map. You can rotate, flip, and tile textures to any extent you see fit. You control the lighting, the textures, and the sector heights. You can use any sector or linedef special, and you can set any linedef flag you can imagine. You can use any sort of advanced mapping technique you know, provided that you use the templates provided. You can make nearly any style map you want, just so long as it actually works when it's played.

As an example of what's possible, I've created two maps using this format. The first is a showcase displaying all of the templates, the second map is a standard Doom map featuring several different mapping and gameplay concepts. Yes, the last part of the map is referencing exactly what you think it is. A word of warning, I do not suggest trying these maps on Ultra-Violence. The second one in particular can get pretty rough. You'll need an up to date version of PrBoom+, DSDA Doom, Eternity Engine, or GZDoom and the Doom2.WAD file to play this. You can download the demo maps here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11LGe8-GefjjM_LcM6qnKdcey-1jpSqff/view?usp=share_link

If this kind of thing interests you, please head over to The Hell Despot discord server and say hello. https://discord.gg/5c87Vwqe

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 8, 2023

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Heck yea! I'm looking forward to kitbashing a level together with these parts, it's going to be pretty fun :toot:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
This might be of interest to the wad-makers in here: Amuscaria, the developer of Hell-Forged, has made all their finished enemy and weapon sprites for the second episode of Hell-Forged publicly available. Most of the ones from episode 1 have been used in a whole lot of mods since then (I believe Ancient Aliens was one of the first that borrowed them), so some of these might become familiar faces ungodly visages soon.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/108341-hell-forged-resources-more-episode-2-stuff-added/

Semi-related:
https://twitter.com/DrPyspy/status/1623103191167512577

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

Now that TDAC1632 has been released, I thought I'd try my hand at producing a new community project.

I present to you The Hell Despot A community project targeted to the MBF21 map format and using the CC4 and Doom2 texture sets.

This is so cool!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This is so cool!

Does that mean you'll contribute?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I can't definitely commit to anything, because I've got my hands full learning Python and looking for a job, plus another project, but put me down as a strong maybe :) I've been looking for a reason to tinker around with doom wads again anyway!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've started tinkering with something, but as is my wont I've immediately gone for "how can I make a space that seems like a real place using these elements" and not "how can I make an actual playable level"

I'm sure something will shake out of it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think I'm going to make something that's a cross between Junk Food and Sunder. I've already decided on a name: "80 Liters of Mountain Dew".

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Just in case there's some interest here, there's 3 weeks left for submissions to Mosaic

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/133227-community-project-mosaic-a-restrictive-geometry-contest-for-doom2-infinite-slots/

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

This is absolutely MAP32 of PLUTONIA.WAD, specifically the refurbished/refitted DOOM II MAP01 area.

I never made that connection until just now as I'm watching a playthrough video. :monocle:

This is probably my all time favorite Doom level. Are there any similar level recommendations? I'm using ZDoom and have the Doom2 and Final Doom wads if that matters.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've had decino's Profane Promiseland stream on a monitor for the last 9 hours (he's not even half-way, and has gained less than 1000 kills out of 40k in the last 4 hours or so) while doing chores and errands, and this poo poo looks miserable. I've also been playing a ton of vampire survivors. Is there an RPG mod that makes you just absolutely ridiculous as you progress? I want to see like 100 BFG balls float out of my head when I fire off a single shot, a PG that fires a single laser that penetrates every enemy in it's path, or an SSG blast that fires 10 million pellets in a 360° arc around me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

treat posted:

I've had decino's Profane Promiseland stream on a monitor for the last 9 hours (he's not even half-way, and has gained less than 1000 kills out of 40k in the last 4 hours or so) while doing chores and errands, and this poo poo looks miserable. I've also been playing a ton of vampire survivors. Is there an RPG mod that makes you just absolutely ridiculous as you progress? I want to see like 100 BFG balls float out of my head when I fire off a single shot, a PG that fires a single laser that penetrates every enemy in it's path, or an SSG blast that fires 10 million pellets in a 360° arc around me.

Sounds like you want Russian Overkill, or Abort, although Too Many Supershotguns will scratch that last itch for you.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SkunkDuster posted:

I never made that connection until just now as I'm watching a playthrough video. :monocle:

This is probably my all time favorite Doom level. Are there any similar level recommendations? I'm using ZDoom and have the Doom2 and Final Doom wads if that matters.

Well there's Map 32 of this I guess: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/pl2

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

treat posted:

I really meant to post this in the general Retro FPS thread, but since you ask:

Takes No Damage posted:

Trying to get back into regular play after becoming distracted by the holiday Steam/Epic stores. Finished combing through the '22 Cacowards and decided to give their GunBonsai mod a spin. It gives all of your guns experience based on the damage they do, and at each level up you can pick a perk for them. Stuff like bonus damage, speed, acid/poison DoT, tiny explosions etc.

For a giant slaughtermap like that (I'm watching decino's VOD right now actually) you would be able to level up your guns so many times you'd be an unstoppable godgamer after the first few fights :getin:

e:
Also adds tons of fun when you accidentally pick something like explosive damage on a non-explody guy and only afterwards realize that a super shotgun that also damages you at close range kinda sucks :(

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 12, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Takes No Damage posted:

For a giant slaughtermap like that (I'm watching decino's VOD right now actually) you would be able to level up your guns so many times you'd be an unstoppable godgamer after the first few fights :getin:
Could scale, do it based on percentage of kills?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

e:
Also adds tons of fun when you accidentally pick something like explosive damage on a non-explody guy and only afterwards realize that a super shotgun that also damages you at close range kinda sucks :(

Oh hey, I meant to give all the goon stuff a try and Gun Bonsai sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Could scale, do it based on percentage of kills?

Not sure how that would work unless you tuned it for each specific map, although playing a short 30 enemy intro map and instantly becoming a level-gibbing demigod would be pretty funny.

treat posted:

Oh hey, I meant to give all the goon stuff a try and Gun Bonsai sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks

It might be more fun than a standard OP weapons mod because you get to slowly build up each gun as you like vs just having the BFG just instantly replaced with a tactical nuke delivery system. Though watching through more of decino's video you use the BFG so much that's basically what's going to happen anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know im like half a year late on this but Overboard owns. It's incredible the amount of visual detail & unique encounters thats crammed into 4 minute-ish maps. Tremendous level designer

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

In Training posted:

I know im like half a year late on this but Overboard owns. It's incredible the amount of visual detail & unique encounters thats crammed into 4 minute-ish maps. Tremendous level designer

I must be a half year late too because I'm just discovering this WAD thanks to your post. Looks great.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

In Training posted:

He's inspired and I can't wait til he produces a superbowl half time show so I can tell everyone at buffalo wild wings he made a doom wad called "going down"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I must be a half year late too because I'm just discovering this WAD thanks to your post. Looks great.

Definitely recommend a download, cyriak is a great mapper. Every difficulty is well thought out too just from briefly messing around with HMP, always appreciate when lower difficulties have different weapon/item placements on top of altered encounters.

There's also a "New Game+" batch of the levels which seems like such a simple and clever idea for a map set I genuinely can't believe it hasn't been a common practice before. I'm curious if more people will take up the idea now.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Has anyone played The Magenta Spire? I'm not wild about it, but figured I'd finish it - got through E1 today and started E2 and now I'm totally stuck at E2M2: Derelict.

How is this level supposed to work? I've circled around this giant building, there's one door that needs a blue key, and 2 doors that won't open. No idea how I'm supposed to get inside and there don't seem to be any map or audio cues either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Has anyone played The Magenta Spire? I'm not wild about it, but figured I'd finish it - got through E1 today and started E2 and now I'm totally stuck at E2M2: Derelict.

How is this level supposed to work? I've circled around this giant building, there's one door that needs a blue key, and 2 doors that won't open. No idea how I'm supposed to get inside and there don't seem to be any map or audio cues either.

My last resorts for when I can’t figure out a map are in order 1) doomwiki 2) seeing if anyone has a recording on YouTube or 3) the doom world thread. For Derelict, MrIcarus finished the map although it might have glitched out for him. https://youtu.be/TrKpA1bVB64 starts at 30:45