Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've never played a Theatrhythm game before but I downloaded the demo and I'm confused about some things. For the demo, I guess we're capped to level 30? And not all quests are doable because of that? I'm assuming that if I were to play a song at a higher difficulty I could theoretically do more damage and therefore go further in the level? So quests like "Defeat 1 or more Guard Scorpion" when I don't even see one show up in the level is because my team is not dealing enough damage to advance in enemeies, either because they're too low a level or I'm not playing at a hard enough difficulty (or both)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

two-atrhythm

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've never played a Theatrhythm game before but I downloaded the demo and I'm confused about some things. For the demo, I guess we're capped to level 30? And not all quests are doable because of that? I'm assuming that if I were to play a song at a higher difficulty I could theoretically do more damage and therefore go further in the level? So quests like "Defeat 1 or more Guard Scorpion" when I don't even see one show up in the level is because my team is not dealing enough damage to advance in enemeies, either because they're too low a level or I'm not playing at a hard enough difficulty (or both)?

yeah level 30. a few of the quests are not reasonably doable on the demo though i believe they technically are all doable with grinding out stat item drops. yes the higher levels give you more opportunities to hit things so theoretically you can kill more monsters but also those quests will become trivial when you can level everyone 10-69 more levels

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Question, I heard a livestream of Theatrhythm spoiled or gave clues to what the secret DLC oacks are? Or am I just imagining it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Question, I heard a livestream of Theatrhythm spoiled or gave clues to what the secret DLC oacks are? Or am I just imagining it?

yes, the full playlist was already cracked i think

it's not much of a spoiler because it's so comprehensive you'd be harder pressed to find songs that aren't on it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They could have killed a whole lot of the FF14 ARR tracks for superior expansion tracks but that would be my only note

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm assuming that if I were to play a song at a higher difficulty I could theoretically do more damage and therefore go further in the level? So quests like "Defeat 1 or more Guard Scorpion" when I don't even see one show up in the level is because my team is not dealing enough damage to advance in enemeies, either because they're too low a level or I'm not playing at a hard enough difficulty (or both)?

Difficulty doesn't impact your score or damage directly. Some abilities have scaling based on difficulty, so a spell would happen at 20/40/50/60 hits but that might mean twice in a song on the lowest difficulty but 5 or more times on the highest.

It's basically down to level, with that 30 limit on the demo being low plus you don't have access to all the summons etc.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Punchy posted a couple of these:
FFX-2's Real Emotion is in the deluxe edition
Bravely Default tracks are likely to be DLC pack 14 as there's a Bravely Default in the recommended tracks here
The last pack is going to be 8 FFXVI songs; the series is after XV and before spinoffs, and there's an EMS which so far has only been used with FF-series titles

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Someone do the needful and risk your career and livelihood to leak FFXVI music for less than five seconds of clout.

I’m begging.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah I can't wait to hear the FFXVI theme song "Shinra Mateus Yevon Jr. -Final Boss Phase 7 Theme (Part 4)-" and have the whole loving plot twist of the game RUINED for me

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

parasyte posted:

FFX-2's Real Emotion is in the deluxe edition

Well guess I'm gonna have to get the deluxe edition when I eventually buy it then

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I can understand the locking of a lot of vocal songs on the deluxe edition since music licensing and specially Japan are hellish.

But why the gently caress is To Zanakarnd on the deluxe version.

(and Memory of Lightwaves, most underrated FF song)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

uematsu apparently wrote to zanarkand for some flutist and not for ffx so since it wasn't composed in the course of his employment it could have different rights than the rest of the soundtrack, that's the only thing i can see to connect it to the other deluxe songs

edit: from a quick search, the zanarkand publishing is owned 50/50 uematsu/warner chappell music whereas suteki da ne is 50/50 uematsu/square enix

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 15, 2023

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Is there a way to purchase the Deluxe songs if you bought the physical copy or am I out of luck?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

What can I do for you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This song should be on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqn-_Bv-tDQ

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

played some more of Jack's Game into the post-game and while doing the first couple of stages on Chaos difficulty was shaky, but I feel a little better after playing jobs that I've gotten an uncap or two on with well distributed mastery points.

also at some point they patched in the ability to look like another character when playing as Jack and if you beat the game you get to look like astos which is pretty sick

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

Is there a way to purchase the Deluxe songs if you bought the physical copy or am I out of luck?

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1580560588979458048

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have spent $99.99 on the PlayStation Store... time to preload

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Good reminder, I should preload too. Can't believe how excited I am for this game :D

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Same. Pre-ordered, pre-loaded, ready to go. 15 and a half hours to go...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the history of Square English localizations is weird. This is what I've always heard so feel free to correct me or fill in the obvious, gaping blanks.

1. FFIV's was not very good.
2. Then Ted Woolsey shows up and becomes a legend pretty much exclusively due to FFVI and Chrono Trigger.
3. Then he vanishes and everything goes to poo poo again with FFVII having tons of problems.
4. FFVIII had Alexander O. Smith on board but the Japanese side was useless and he and his team had to play the game themselves to get the dialogue to translate.
5. Xenogears comes out about this time and Richard Honeywood has to churn out of the most text-heavy JRPGs ever almost all on his own and in very little time.
6. Then things turn around with FFIX and Chrono Cross just in time for the PS1 to end.
7. There's more consistent quality from then on through most of the 2000s.
8. That is until the late 2000s. I think FFXIII got the "be as literal as possible" deal, like how Persona 5 had the Japanese team insisting they pronounce names wrong. I know somebody earlier in here also talked about Crisis Core having a pretty rough translation, although that might be just the game's writing.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Theatrhythm unlocks in 45 minutes for me since I have a New Zealand PSN account. So hyped...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

bovis posted:

Theatrhythm unlocks in 45 minutes for me since I have a New Zealand PSN account. So hyped...

Lucky...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

So the history of Square English localizations is weird. This is what I've always heard so feel free to correct me or fill in the obvious, gaping blanks.

1. FFIV's was not very good.
2. Then Ted Woolsey shows up and becomes a legend pretty much exclusively due to FFVI and Chrono Trigger.
3. Then he vanishes and everything goes to poo poo again with FFVII having tons of problems.
4. FFVIII had Alexander O. Smith on board but the Japanese side was useless and he and his team had to play the game themselves to get the dialogue to translate.
5. Xenogears comes out about this time and Richard Honeywood has to churn out of the most text-heavy JRPGs ever almost all on his own and in very little time.
6. Then things turn around with FFIX and Chrono Cross just in time for the PS1 to end.
7. There's more consistent quality from then on through most of the 2000s.
8. That is until the late 2000s. I think FFXIII got the "be as literal as possible" deal, like how Persona 5 had the Japanese team insisting they pronounce names wrong. I know somebody earlier in here also talked about Crisis Core having a pretty rough translation, although that might be just the game's writing.

FF7 and FFT were Sony sliding on up and going "hey yeah we'll translate your games for ya, sign on with us" and then giving us Wiznaibus

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
How's Vagrant Story's translation? It's been on the top of my to-play list for absolute ages and I finally have the time to get stuck in

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's excellent.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I haven’t been this excited for a new game release since…. Uh. Elden Ring?! Kinda crazy considering it’s a relatively simple Final Fantasy rhythm game but holy hell it got its hooks in me through the demo. Bravo Squenix!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Boy of Joy posted:

I haven’t been this excited for a new game release since…. Uh. Elden Ring?! Kinda crazy considering it’s a relatively simple Final Fantasy rhythm game but holy hell it got its hooks in me through the demo. Bravo Squenix!

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing this morning wrt elden ring. So hype rn

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Theatrhythm rules everyone

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I need to get some sleep for work tomorrow but I played some more FF7 songs and it just rules. The music is great and the charts were tricky and fun!

Can't wait to play more tomorrow :D and can't wait for everyone else to play it too!!

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Series playthrough is still going, Finished X the other day, absolutely loved it. just started playing x2 and lmao this is so fuckin weird and dumb. I miss the turn based combat alreadyyyy rip

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Do Switch games normally unlock at midnight?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

kirbysuperstar posted:

FF7 and FFT were Sony sliding on up and going "hey yeah we'll translate your games for ya, sign on with us" and then giving us Wiznaibus
well it was a dance with knives, what did you expect them to do?!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1625860386397487107?s=46&t=kjBy4P_8O2T8OGpi3BrPUg

The planet’s grimey, Cloud.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
i was about to fuckin post that

anyway, that's how you explain the timeline stuff

also I wish power washing Seventh Heaven would instead make it look brand new lol

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Grabbed the deluxe theathrythm version. Don't have the money to justify the full purchase but I'm getting the important stuff now and I can always grab the future season packs down the line. They sold me when previewing Chrono trigger music.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is saying I can buy the digital deluxe upgrades later, right?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

one-atrhythm

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Theatrhytm is only on PS5 and switch right?

Sorely tempted to buy it, I loved the 3DS and arcade versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does the $100 ultra deluxe version of Theatrhythm not give you all of the DLC? Just season pass 1??? Like you’ll have to pay even more for a season pass 2 in the future?!?!?

Edit:

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Theatrhytm is only on PS5 and switch right?

Sorely tempted to buy it, I loved the 3DS and arcade versions

PS4 and Switch, yeah.