Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo that's a real book

Brandon Bird is the guy who painted all those "pop culture icons doing incongruous things" pictures like No One Wants To Play Sega With Harrison Ford so I thought he did that cover as a goof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol same.

So is that book series about Geordi and Riker going to the academy at the same time? What other TNG stars happened to be enrolled then

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phy posted:

Holy poo poo that's a real book

Brandon Bird is the guy who painted all those "pop culture icons doing incongruous things" pictures like No One Wants To Play Sega With Harrison Ford so I thought he did that cover as a goof

Man, Harrison Ford looks so bummed that Daniel Radcliff is playing video games with Jesus instead of him :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

When I was a kid I got mixed up because "Khan Noonian Singh" and "Dr Noonian Soong" are so similar, I thought they were related or something.

Both characters were named by Roddenberry as an attempt to reconnect with someone he met in the war who had a very similar name iirc.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Both characters were named by Roddenberry as an attempt to reconnect with someone he met in the war who had a very similar name iirc.
That's really cool. Use my TV show to hunt down old friends.

I'm sure everyone knows the lore about Klingons being named after Roddenberry's old friend in the LAPD, Wilbur Clingan.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Menosky was co-executive producer on The Orville for season 2, aka when it got really good. Consider this your reminder that if you're jonesing for more TNG-era Trek, The Orville is right there on Disney and Hulu.

Orville is one coked out of his mind executive away from becoming a Star Trek crossover that makes it an alternative universe.

Disney might even own some Star Trek licenses from its Marvel deal via the comics.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Disney might even own some Star Trek licenses from its Marvel deal via the comics.

With Disney now funding Doctor Who, maybe we can get some cursed Star Trek/Star Wars/Doctor Who crossover!

It would be awful, but I'd probably watch it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Veotax posted:

With Disney now funding Doctor Who, maybe we can get some cursed Star Trek/Star Wars/Doctor Who crossover!

It would be awful, but I'd probably watch it.

Make that 11th Doctor/TNG crossover comic a real thing. Give me a digitally de-aged Matt Smith and Karen Gillan playing off an equally digitally de-aged TNG cast and a ReSynth AI-aided Patrick Stewart to make him sound like he used to during the 90s, all filmed on a Volume set so like only the chairs are real or some poo poo.

Do it, Disney. Give me a horrendously expensive affront to ethics, film making, and general good taste because the meltdowns it would sire will be more entertaining than the actual horrible sin of a product.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Doctor: You see every single individual reality in the multiverse exists along a binary spectrum--Trek to Wars. Naturally, over the whole of the multiverse, it balances. Trek, Wars. In harmony. But what you're doing here, this... meddling... You're breaking down the balance! It's all becoming... Marvel.

Crass Corporate Alien Villain: (openly weeping) i- I didn't know! I couldn't know! Shut it down!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well every crass corporate villain irl right now is furiously trying to recreate Marvel so

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Enterprise revival, but it’s just the crossover episode Russel T Davies wanted to do with Doctor Who

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

Well every crass corporate villain irl right now is furiously trying to recreate Marvel so

Yeah that was the actual joke part irl

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

Lol same.

So is that book series about Geordi and Riker going to the academy at the same time? What other TNG stars happened to be enrolled then

They were kids’ books, like a hundred pages long or so. This was back during 90s Trek, when it actually got merchandised for kids. So it was stories about the show characters but aged down in a school setting for kids to identify with (the TNG and VOY ones at least, the DS9 ones were the Jake and Nog show). They didn’t assume everyone went to the academy at the same time but instead had different books focus on different characters - so another TNG one might be about Picard a few years earlier, for example.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I read the Worf one and I remember nothing about it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Is that the one where he kills a kid while playing soccer lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HD DAD posted:

They said that in one of the shows right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HD DAD posted:

that was the FFX novelization, but it was a blitzball rigged to explode when Tidus kicked it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arivia posted:

They were kids’ books, like a hundred pages long or so. This was back during 90s Trek, when it actually got merchandised for kids. So it was stories about the show characters but aged down in a school setting for kids to identify with (the TNG and VOY ones at least, the DS9 ones were the Jake and Nog show). They didn’t assume everyone went to the academy at the same time but instead had different books focus on different characters - so another TNG one might be about Picard a few years earlier, for example.

There was a real vogue for this in the 90s. Star Wars alone had literally three or four separate book series that were just “Star Wars but it’s about Kids Just Like You”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

There was a real vogue for this in the 90s. Star Wars alone had literally three or four separate book series that were just “Star Wars but it’s about Kids Just Like You”

I mean, that's still pretty in-vogue for Star Wars today. Like half of the High Republic crossmedia production is "Star Wars, but it's about Kids Just Like You", same with Rebels. Hell, even WarHammer 40,000 had a "40k, but it's about Kids Just Like You" series going on for a while a couple of years ago, because people apparently needed to be reminded that 40k is goofy as poo poo at its heart and to stop taking it so seriously and/or ceding it to literal loving fascists.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

As a kid I just read all of the adult Star Trek novels I could lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Dignity posted:

As a kid I read about half of the first Jedi Prince book and went "Man, this is absolute garbage." Then I went and read the first half of The Truce at Bakura and went "Man, this is absolute garbage." And then I never read another Star Wars novel, junior grade or adult, ever again and I am a better man for it today.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

No Dignity posted:

Same. Even as a kid I usually found kids chucked into movies/tv stuff really annoying. Kids in a kids movie about doing kids stuff sure. Kids in a "serious" adventure thing, no they always sucked and were annoying as hell. Stranger things is one of the only shows I can think of that actually managed to do it right. Even than in the first season the kids section only sometimes interacted with the other sections till near the end.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The only other star trek fiction stuff I've read is the Blish adaptations of TOS episodes. TOS was on late at night on Saturday on PBS when I was young so I wound up reading the adaptations before seeing some of the episodes, notably Balance of Terror.

Of course I spent hours upon hours with the encyclopedia and the decipher ccg cards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Same. Even as a kid I usually found kids chucked into movies/tv stuff really annoying. Kids in a kids movie about doing kids stuff sure. Kids in a "serious" adventure thing, no they always sucked and were annoying as hell. Stranger things is one of the only shows I can think of that actually managed to do it right. Even than in the first season the kids section only sometimes interacted with the other sections till near the end.

Yeah, I mostly read the adult novels and I think ended up with the kids books as gifts since I was the age that was supposed to be reading them/family knew I was into Star Trek.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Just pulled those Blish adaptations off the shelf to look at them and with them was "The Best of Trek 10: From the Magazine for Star Trek Fans" which I don't remember acquiring, and one of the articles was written by someone I knew when I was a kid. Small world!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

As a kid I read about half of the first Jedi Prince book and went "Man, this is absolute garbage." Then I went and read the first half of The Truce at Bakura and went "Man, this is absolute garbage." And then I never read another Star Wars novel, junior grade or adult, ever again and I am a better man for it today.

Wish I'd been smart enough to do that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Jedi prince at least is amusing garbage, with occassional wasted good ideas (an imposter claims to be palpatine's son as part of an attempt to gather legitimacy! Nobody knows what the force is, so he thinks getting cybernetic implants is how you shoot lightning from your hands! He kills one guy to prove his legitimacy, gets serious nerve damage from the electricity, and spends a whole book trying to find a cure!).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

Oddly, I've always assumed that his name and ethnicity were completely unrelated, like it was assigned by random choice or engineers just used names they liked.

Or that he was cooked up and named in a lab in India but pieced together with gene samples from all over the world.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Jedi prince at least is amusing garbage, with occassional wasted good ideas (an imposter claims to be palpatine's son as part of an attempt to gather legitimacy! Nobody knows what the force is, so he thinks getting cybernetic implants is how you shoot lightning from your hands! He kills one guy to prove his legitimacy, gets serious nerve damage from the electricity, and spends a whole book trying to find a cure!).

I also kind of lowkey love how The Rise of Skywalker is just a canonized Jedi Prince book. Emperor Palpatine's grandchild goes on a whirlwind fetch quest to find various Things You Might Remember from Star Wars with the help of Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie and the Droids and has to stay one step ahead of a gormless dork who wants to be Darth Vader and his accompanying Mofference.

It's loving great :allears:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

If memory serves, only the TNG and DS9 book lines got substantial runs. They spun the Starfleet Academy concept off for TOS and Voyager, but those only got three books out before they were canned. Funnily enough, while the Big Three from TOS each got a book to themselves as you'd expect, the Voyager books are all about Janeway.

cenotaph posted:

I read the Worf one and I remember nothing about it.

I remember the Worf ones because when Peter David was starting up his New Frontier book series, he brought over all the characters he created for the Academy books - save one - and made them the crew of the Excalibur.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 15, 2023

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

https://twitter.com/MicaBurton/status/1625567332306386945

I re-watched Picard over the last month (I had seen S1 but only like half of S2), I enjoyed S1 till the last 2 episodes for the most part. Season 2 was completely terrible, only episode I liked was the sneak into the gala and a couple bits with the doctor/her kid. Still I wanted to give S3 a fair go.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 15, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Marshal Radisic posted:

If memory serves, only the TNG and DS9 book lines got substantial runs. They spun the Starfleet Academy concept off for TOS and Voyager, but those only got three books out before they were canned. Funnily enough, while the Big Three from TOS got a book to themselves as you'd expect, the Voyager books are all about Janeway.
I wonder how many years Kim was a cadet?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Knormal posted:

I wonder how many years Kim was a cadet?

He was actually arbitrarily busted back down to cadet after voyager returned due to a typo and spent the rest of his starfleet career as such.

You don't need to google, this is cannon.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s actually a whole set of rankings below cadet, like some kind of Starfleet negative zone. Kim’s been working his way down those.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Are there any actually good Star Trek novels or are they all pretty much trash. Also how hard is to get a hold of them.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I can't really say if they're "good" or not, but I tend to gravitate towards novels that don't really involve the main characters from shows, and are more just padding out the universe. There was a book "Articles of Federation" that sort of felt like a cross between The West Wing and Star Trek that I enjoyed. I enjoyed the Corps of Engineers series, as well as one focused on the IKS Gorkon. And my God these books are like 20 years old. I have no idea what's going on lately.

E: omg how could I forget, Andrew Robinson (aka the guy that played Garak) wrote a book about Garak going back to Cardassia after the dominion war, that was a good book.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hollismason posted:

Are there any actually good Star Trek novels or are they all pretty much trash. Also how hard is to get a hold of them.

John M. Ford's The Final Reflection is great and it's the version of Klingons that I wish had been canonical post-TOS.

I've heard good things about Diane Duane's "Rihannsu" series but I haven't read them yet. Her Spock's World is good.

I know Margaret Wander Bonnano has disavowed Probe due to editorial fuckery and rewrites, but I liked it.

Seconding Andrew Robinson's A Stitch in Time as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

if you want to read the most insane batshit fanfiction branded things ever, read the novels William Shatner "wrote" with the Reeves-Stevens. They're in their own canon, called the "Shatnerverse" and it's just absurd all the stuff that goes on. Plenty of fun toys getting smashed together.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I liked John deLancie's I, Q. It came out about 20 years ago, though, so it might be a little tough to get ahold of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hollismason posted:

I liked some of the Lost Era books, maybe just because that giant time gap still hasn't really been explored at all in canon, so where else am I gonna go

They kinda have the same small universe problems as everything else EU though, like every Joe Six-Pack and Jennifer Two-Liter who's alive between 2290 and 2360 is probably in those books somewhere whether it makes sense or not