Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

MasterBuilder posted:

Mass discard is like mass land destruction in that it punishes the player that's behind just as much as the player that's ahead. And if the discard player game plan gets interrupted right before they start to go off the game devolves into top deck wars.

I did play a couple games with a pod at the same location not long after and a salty boy Armageddon-ed all our lands and then the player to his left immediately won because he had a ton of tokens and Cryptolith Rite. He was clearly bitter I had won the first game and just wanted me to lose the second game. I took that as a moral victory anyway.

The players who do it never seem to do it as a part of a game plan to win. Don't get me wrong I do want to Jokulhaups + Heroic Intervention but only when I can then combat my opponents out and win. (Anecdotally in the discard story above they weren't playing Tinybones as a commander or anthing, it was just mono black discard with no payoff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jokulhaups + Heroic Intervention is just overloaded Cyclonic Rift with more steps

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Silhouette posted:

Jokulhaups + Heroic Intervention is just overloaded Cyclonic Rift with more steps

I pretty much scoop to the first one and not the second? Though I have a hard time imagining a Jokulhaups getting through anywhere I play except when I slum it at the bad LGS.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Silhouette posted:

It's a gimmick!

pseudanonymous posted:

slum it at the bad LGS.

That's all we've got.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sounds like we need more target board wipes and land destruction to better focus our ire at the table.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't be playing a discard deck unless it had an active plan, like Nath or Nekusar. And not without real good discard spells and payoffs. The archetype is clunky, weak, and irritating on its floor but not too bad at its ceiling.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The best mills when are in long weird games where you can't win on your own but aren't going to lose either if the opponent doesn't realize they're closer to decking themselves and keep casting draws and just wait for it to happen

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I think one of my favorite pieces of cEDH tech is getting someone trying to combo off with Thoracle by forcing them to draw with Cephalid Coliseum/Geier Reach Sanitarium after they've emptied out their library.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do people feel about unglued? I think they're great but people around me get grumpy about it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think one of my favorite pieces of cEDH tech is getting someone trying to combo off with Thoracle by forcing them to draw with Cephalid Coliseum/Geier Reach Sanitarium after they've emptied out their library.

There's a reason why Loran of the Third Path raised a little attention back when it was printed.

The rec sage effect is fine, but a built in gotcha for Thoracle? It's kinda nifty.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do people feel about unglued? I think they're great but people around me get grumpy about it

As long as it's not obnoxious, I don't really care. There's a fair number of un-cards that are totally fine, but also bunch that are needlessly time consuming or irritating for the sake of being irritating.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

very much a card-by-card basis. If you want to put Carnivorous Death-Parrot in your Kangee deck, fine by me. If you put Spell Counter in your deck, I will loving stab you.

Overall, I think it's better to err on the side of excluding un-cards; I don't think there's anything really universally cool that we miss out on, in exchange for excluding a huge variety of stuff that's gonna piss someone off. But if you wanted to join my table and made an impassioned case for playing Clambassadors in your deck, sure, fine, whatever.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

DontMockMySmock posted:

very much a card-by-card basis. If you want to put Carnivorous Death-Parrot in your Kangee deck, fine by me. If you put Spell Counter in your deck, I will loving stab you.

Yeah, that. Cards that pay attention to word/letter count, spoken words, clothes worn, or objects unrelated to Magic; or cards that require opponents to be paying constant attention to you, doing things outside of game (example, the ____ to ____ cards), and so on. Or if you have to get up to throw a card or something all the time. Or, worst of all, subgames. If your cards are too distracting from actually playing the game, it's just wasting everyone's time and patience.

But if you wanna play contraptions or combinations or watermark tribal, go for it. Stickers and Attractions are already legal as it is. As long as it actually plays like Magic and respects others' time/patience/personal space, I'm cool with it. Most things from Unstable are honestly fine imo-- a lot of them are just typical cards that focus on matters that regular cards don't focus on. A huge chunk of Unfinity is perfectly legal as-is.

I feel like all of the really silly novelty stuff would fly best in an actual un-pod where everyone has built decks around unset mechanics, though I feel Unstable and Unfinity would kind of steamroll most things from Unhinged or Unglued, which seemed quite a bit more focused on stuff outside of the game rather than game mechanics themselves.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 15, 2023

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I forgot about subgames, that's probably the second worst thing in un-sets other than "Spell Counter in multiplayer". If you play Enter the Dungeon i will concede the subgame immediately because back hurty when sit on ground :(. I haven't really played any unfinity and unstable and i am amazed to discover they printed two new subgame cards. why would they do that

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Denimwalk all day everyday. :colbert:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jiro posted:

Denimwalk all day everyday. :colbert:

oh no I have to take my pants off as a fast effect :blush: how embarrassing

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

oh my deck's like a 7 power level, it's just commander Timmy the Power Gamer

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

oh no I have to take my pants off as a fast effect :blush: how embarrassing

:yeshaha:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I'm new to edh, and this would be like my second ever deck. I like sagas as a theme, but this seems very low power. any suggestions to bump up the salt? im also thinking of another mana rock or two, but it sucks to make cuts for a mana rock. there are a few top end enchantments, like debtors knell or captive audience that i could add, but i'm not positive there what i need. is something like fires of invention good in edh? is it worth a spot?

https://archidekt.com/decks/3984415#ghen

vvvv made these changes

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 15, 2023

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

meanolmrcloud posted:

I'm new to edh, and this would be like my second ever deck. I like sagas as a theme, but this seems very low power. any suggestions to bump up the salt? im also thinking of another mana rock or two, but it sucks to make cuts for a mana rock. there are a few top end enchantments, like debtors knell or captive audience that i could add, but i'm not positive there what i need. is something like fires of invention good in edh? is it worth a spot?

You're running too few lands and very little ramp, so I think your main issue is going to be casing any of the 4-cost or up spells. Add one more of each basic land, and 3-4 more mana rocks, and you might actually get to cast Extinguish All Hope before turn 11.

I do really like Hex Parasite in a sagas deck, and your draw with discard should work well with Ghen.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

vvvv made these changes

I'll take a crack at this when I get home, budget enchantments is very much "my wheelhouse"

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

I have a green/white sagas deck. One of my most important cards is not an enchantment, but lets me sort-of ramp while removing counters from my sagas to keep them ticking up - Scholar of New Horizons.

Other useful cards include
  • Flicker of Fate is also a good protection spell for fizzling targeted removal to your creatures or sagas, while also serving to reset a saga if you need to.
  • Nesting Grounds is a very useful land to move your saga counters around to tick one saga up while lowering another.
  • Power Conduit is another way of removing saga counters.
  • Want to get even more value out of a saga trigger? Strionic Resonator or Lithoform Engine will copy their triggers on while on the stack.

And one thing to keep in mind with sagas is that they only trigger when a counter is added, not removed. This came up while I was playing against someone else running a saga deck.

edit: I love the inclusion of All Will Be One in a saga deck that run red. I would never have remembered that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

meanolmrcloud posted:

vvvv made these changes

I don't see Fall of the Thran and a bunch of asymmetrical graveyard hate, fix this posthaste

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

vvvv made these changes

A couple of questions I guess. What is your desired 'power level'? What is your 'budget'? What type of game play are you interested in? My first thought is to swap out the commander for Go-Shintai of Life's Origin, it's a better recursion of enchantments.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Go-Shintai adds Blue so you can play Enchanted Evening + Cleansing Meditation. You know, since you said you wanted to up the salt factor and all.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
i run a hanna deck that's essentially just salt now. there are a handful of critical mass combos that provide bizarre protection or lockdowns

Solemnity, plus any number of 'shield cards' means you can't die without some removal

enchanted evening, opalesence, and an anthem on your side is a one sided landwipe

Solemnity plus decree of silence means no other player can cast spells.

Ultimately, all of the good enchantment endgame stuff is in Azorius/Bant, and really makes me think you should pick another commander.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Yea, I guess I should’ve specified a few things. I like the challenge of mardu colors, and would like to avoid some of the pillowfort white-based enchantment nonsense. Budget isn’t a huge concern, tho I probably won’t be dropping 250 bucks for like a serras sanctum.

My playgroup is a bunch of highly invested turbo players who all have multiple competitive cedh decks, who also happen to be very bored with ultra-competitive commander tropes. The vibe is more highly refined cat deck, or how many tokens can I poo poo out as opposed to how quickly can I lock you out. That being said, I’d like to put together a pile that can do some mean things.

Thanks for the advice

Edit: with that being said, maybe go-shintai is the better route for sagas.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 16, 2023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, I guess I should’ve specified a few things. I like the challenge of mardu colors, and would like to avoid some of the pillowfort white-based enchantment nonsense. Budget isn’t a huge concern, tho I probably won’t be dropping 250 bucks for like a serras sanctum.

My playgroup is a bunch of highly invested turbo players who all have multiple competitive cedh decks, who also happen to be very bored with ultra-competitive commander tropes. The vibe is more highly refined cat deck, or how many tokens can I poo poo out as opposed to how quickly can I lock you out. That being said, I’d like to put together a pile that can do some mean things.

Thanks for the advice!

Ghens neat, not super good because too slow, but you can use All will be one with either quest for pure flame or red terror to end the game, if you can do 1 damage.

You can also use Ghen to reanimate creatures by reanimating enchantments that reanimate creatures, there's 3 of these (necromancy, dance of the dead, animate dead).

The seals make good sacrifice targets, as do the flash enchantments from Theros that have an etb. In mardu it's hard to set up loops with Ghen. The black enchantments that hurt you eventually but help you initially are good for this (I see you have at least some of these)

There a couple of cards that remove counters from permanents, regardless of what kind of permanent, there's a land, power conduit, ferropede, spinal parasite, thrull parasite, hex parasite.

You can use this remove counters off sagas. If you can do it at instant speed (spina/thrull/hex) you can do it while the saga ability is on the stack but before it resolves, and have the level 3 ability of a saga resolve over and over.

You can at least add entomb/gamble/unmarked grave to tutor enchantments to grave then reanimate them; you can also use red's rummage spells (you have a couple of these) to get enchantments into your yard.

I think you should consider running some of the really fat juicy black enchantments like grave betrayl and debtor's knell, arvinox, the mind flail, and I'm sure captive audience would make people hate you.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

meanolmrcloud posted:

What you like is the number one consideration for EDH. Yes, I think Go-Shintai is the objectively 'better' Saga commander, but if you like Ghen, then I think you should absolutely stick with him.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
the problem is you can like a commander or a card, but after several games you will eventually get burned because the card doesn't achieve a specific goal you set to it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey if you’re going to be at MagicCon Philly look for me. Orange Wrench on the mask, man bun. I have tokens to give out and I always appreciate meeting goons irl

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I enjoyed seeing you on EDHijnks Balon!

Jiro fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 16, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

meanolmrcloud posted:

Thanks for the advice

I think Doom Foretold is a good include if you're cycling enchantments in and out of your yard already and it triggers 3 times in your favour per turn cycle. Bojuka Bog is good and practically free to include as a land. You could also explore Curses, but they suffer from only targeting one player.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

How does removing saga counters prevent a third token from triggering the sacrifice? Doesn't triggering the third portion of a saga also set it to sacrifice?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Tenasscity posted:

How does removing saga counters prevent a third token from triggering the sacrifice? Doesn't triggering the third portion of a saga also set it to sacrifice?

A saga is sacrificed as a state-based action if it has lore counters greater than or equal to its highest chapter number, and none of its triggers are currently on the stack. So if you remove a lore counter while the final trigger is on the stack, you keep the saga and it'll trigger again later.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

I enjoyed seeing you on EDHijnks Balon!

Thanks! That was a blast, I’ll be coming back for more

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

This is my Tayam deck, it's intent is to remove the counters of sagas indefinitely. It's really probably a low power or mid tower deck, like about a 7.2 or a 7.4 depending on how you look at it. I think I won a couple of times playing it but it usually either stalls lacking ramp out or doesn't get the right mix of enchantress/enchantments and stalls out or just get's overrun.

It can go infinite a couple of ways, but it's an example of an enchantment reanimation deck:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/X6g5Vb-6J06F02V1lGWkIQ

I don't have a primer and I haven't written article about it but it might give you some ideas for Ghen, since they share 2 colors, but it's also about 40% green.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looks like Prof's deckbox starts shipping out later this month in NA. Excellent.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Looks like Prof's deckbox starts shipping out later this month in NA. Excellent.

I was just starting to wonder wtf was up with that, really want that stuff!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I played my recently retooled Meren deck last night. I was really excited about this. I had a white-hot start and had everything in place and rolling by turn four. An opponent cheated out an It That Betrays with a Belbe's Portal on turn five. And then everyone else did everything they could to keep that loving noodle monster alive. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

The new boros precon kinda whips, didn't even swap commanders and I won 3/4 games yesterday. I'm going to try to leave it as is so that I have something for when folks have weaker decks/precons only.