Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but dont see another thread that would fit. I just bought a house, and will be taking possession April 1 and currently rent a house where the lease is up July 1. What's the best course of action, maintain the lease until the end or break the lease? ($500 penalty, and maintain paying rent until the lease term is up or they find another renter). I figure i'll be paying until the lease term is up either way, just wanted to see what the liability could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jxforema posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but dont see another thread that would fit. I just bought a house, and will be taking possession April 1 and currently rent a house where the lease is up July 1. What's the best course of action, maintain the lease until the end or break the lease? ($500 penalty, and maintain paying rent until the lease term is up or they find another renter). I figure i'll be paying until the lease term is up either way, just wanted to see what the liability could be.

Look for the other renter before paying this penalty. $500 is going to be less than the 3 months rent you might save but as written you might pay it for no reason so don't do that.

Whether any of this is legal in your state is out of the scope of what we can answer without knowing the locality and applicable laws

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hypothetical question:

I'm the child of anti government weirdos who don't seem to have a last name, and whose first names are clearly adopted. I have had little real contact with other people. My parents have told me that, as a free thinker, they're dropping me off in the middle of Boise via horse to figure out life for myself. I don't actually know where I was living, since I only ever knew it as "Home," I don't know my own family information, I almost certainly do not have a birth certificate or vaccination records, and dentists were clearly a plot to harvest our bodily essence or whatever so no dental records. Basically, assume there is no documentation about my life. Additionally, because of weirdo education "reasons" I do not allow DNA testing.

While I don't "trust" the government, I still find I need to have some documents for various things in my life. How would I start this process with nothing whatsoever to draw on?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Harold Fjord posted:

Lmao yeah also that you would not believe some of the idiots I went to law school with who they let take the bar

They didn't let me take the bar

Why wouldn't they let you take the bar of they don't mind idiots taking it?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Look, I liked Nowhere Man, too, but it doesn't need a reboot.

Fake edit: not a script lawyer

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

Why wouldn't they let you take the bar of they don't mind idiots taking it?

I was a different kind of idiot. I missed the scheduled interview with the people who evaluate character and fitness for bar admission because I forgot it was scheduled. They considered that a red flag, and fair call I hosed up. They don't want me to forget court. They also thought it was a red flag that I said I quit a job while the job said I was fired. That was bullshit. I had told the manager for months that when law school started I was gonna have to cut back my hours. I was scheduled a 40 hour week my first week of school. I called them after my first classes and said "yeah, I can't come in I have too much reading to do, like I've been telling you." I say I quit, they say I no showed. It was fine, I hadn't lined up a law job but parlayed it into government work.

That was 11 years ago. I held down a well paid government job for 10 years after that so it should override those previous concerns.

Now I need to take the bar so I can run around giving legal advice to help people deal with the government administrative stuff I used to do as a non-lawyer. Very dumb.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 13, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Volmarias posted:

Hypothetical question:

I'm the child of anti government weirdos who don't seem to have a last name, and whose first names are clearly adopted. I have had little real contact with other people. My parents have told me that, as a free thinker, they're dropping me off in the middle of Boise via horse to figure out life for myself. I don't actually know where I was living, since I only ever knew it as "Home," I don't know my own family information, I almost certainly do not have a birth certificate or vaccination records, and dentists were clearly a plot to harvest our bodily essence or whatever so no dental records. Basically, assume there is no documentation about my life. Additionally, because of weirdo education "reasons" I do not allow DNA testing.

While I don't "trust" the government, I still find I need to have some documents for various things in my life. How would I start this process with nothing whatsoever to draw on?

I would advise locating your nearest library and using the free internet to identify the House district you are in. The local board of elections website has the information you will need to register as a GOP candidate.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If a lawyer works as in-house counsel for a big company, do they get paid a salary or can they charge their employer billable hours like every other lawyer?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If a lawyer works as in-house counsel for a big company, do they get paid a salary or can they charge their employer billable hours like every other lawyer?

If they are an in-house lawyer, typically by definition that means employed by the company and so on salary and free from the billable hour.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lawyers don't charge their employer billable hours, they charge their clients. The point of having an in-house lawyer is that they're your employee who's there whenever you need them as opposed to having a contract with an outside lawyer who's gonna charge you hourly.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I guess you could be in-house for a company—your “internal client” as they like to say—who requires you to record time to measure your productivity. But that sounds miserable and defeats one of the main reasons for going in-house.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Being in-house but recording is also the lot of many lawyers at state AG’s offices who are embedded with state agencies. It used to be that you could write 8 with no description because people figured you were in-house and doing work for your client all day, but legislatures and administrators have gotten pissy over the last decade and a half and tried to drive people out of government work by requiring quasi-firm billing measures. (Meaning requiring billing in 15 minute increments and demanding a time description but then not actually doing anything with the time entries or descriptions or task coding.)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I've seen insurance defense firms that bill by the hour or whatever but are basically "captive" firms or whatever in that they only represent one specific insurance company

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes hours need to be tracked if there's a chance to recover attorney's fees

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
So uh, if your husband rapes you one night and then tries to do it again the next night but you try to fight him off and he gets a bloody lip and runs off to the police and tells them you attacked him in a jealous rage, is it normal and expected for them to come arrest you and refuse to take a statement from you?

Good friend of mine just told me that happened to her a few weeks ago. Apparently the police refused to listen to anything she said, jailed her for two or three days, and now she's pregnant and maybe facing criminal charges and panicking.

loving insane and I have no idea what the gently caress anyone even does to get through something like this.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do you make all these up or did your friends raid a pharaoh's tomb?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I wish I was making this up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your friend needs a lawyer, and needed a lawyer day-of to force the cops to permit a medical exam. Also Epitope this exact scenario is depressingly common, obviously, and not really a laughing matter.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

Your friend needs a lawyer, and needed a lawyer day-of to force the cops to permit a medical exam. Also Epitope this exact scenario is depressingly common, obviously, and not really a laughing matter.

Thank you! What kind of lawyer? She said she found a criminal defender which seems like a weird thing here. I don't understand why she needs to worry about being charged with a crime so I figured I'd check here if that was the right thing to do. Did she get the right kind of lawyer at least?

Is there anything else for her to do besides having a criminal defense attorney and doing what they say?

I feel like a lawyer to make the police do their jobs iintuitively seems like a different thing than a lawyer that protects you from false charges so none of this makes sense to me.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 15, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

She’s being charged with domestic battery and definitely needs a criminal defense attorney. She also needs a family law attorney to divorce him, and she needs to file a police report about the rape.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Her town might have an Office of Victim's Rights attorney, or a DV Survivor Hotline, or a Victim Advocacy Center, something like that. They'll be able to point her in the right direction. Check the local court website if googling those three things doesn't work out.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

oliveoil posted:

Thank you! What kind of lawyer? She said she found a criminal defender which seems like a weird thing here. I don't understand why she needs to worry about being charged with a crime so I figured I'd check here if that was the right thing to do. Did she get the right kind of lawyer at least?

Is there anything else for her to do besides having a criminal defense attorney and doing what they say?

I feel like a lawyer to make the police do their jobs iintuitively seems like a different thing than a lawyer that protects you from false charges so none of this makes sense to me.

This thing is actually pretty common and is even classified as a form of domestic abuse that utilizes the criminal court system. She definitely needs a competent criminal defense attorney who should be her first and only point of contact about this situation. That attorney should be able to advise her about next steps but she should be careful to explain the situation to them in its entirety so that they can coordinate about who she speaks to next. Many times DV advocates will want an interview which she almost certainly should not do until she has spoken and explained the situation completely to her attorney.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
A competent criminal defense attorney will know both sides of the situation and be able to guide her through both the charges against her, and the process for bringing charges against the husband.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I guess you could be in-house for a company—your “internal client” as they like to say—who requires you to record time to measure your productivity. But that sounds miserable and defeats one of the main reasons for going in-house.

There was an episode of "Better off Ted" where the in house lawyer had to track her hours and bill whichever department (or individual employee) she happens to be with

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

sullat posted:

There was an episode of "Better off Ted" where the in house lawyer had to track her hours and bill whichever department (or individual employee) she happens to be with

That show was amazing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It was a wonderful version of The Office without the cringe.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
I live in Colorado.

I signed a 12 month lease for July 1st 2022. Something personal happened, and I contacted my landlord in December saying I needed to break the lease before the term date. He was willing to work with me and gave the offer that I would need to be out by Feb 18th, but pay for the whole month of Feb and forfeit the security deposit. I asked if I gave him more time, until April 1 and be out by March 18th, if I could keep the security deposit and he agreed to that and said he would list the place ASAP and he found someone to move in April 1st, so no loss of income for him.

So the dates of the lease were amended to the new dates and was signed by both parties. I sent an email to him recently about doing a walkthrough and when I could expect the security deposit back. He called me and said that I wouldn't be getting the security deposit back, as that was our verbal agreement and it's common practice that if someone breaks the lease, they forfeit their security deposit. I said that that wasn't our agreement and I got a new place and was acting under the assumption that I would be getting back the deposit.

Anyway, there is nothing in the new lease about forfeiting of the security deposit, though it does say "... Tenant may not elect to apply the Security Deposit as last month’s rent". I was wondering what recourse I have here? I do appreciate him breaking the lease early, but we did have a verbal agreement and I was acting with the understanding that I would be getting it back (I just signed a new lease so I'd be paying double rent now). Rent is due next week, and I was thinking about not paying and just using the security deposit as my last month's rent. If I were to do that, is it possible I could be sued and likely have to owe the rent + any legal fees?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sausage king of Chicago posted:

I live in Colorado.

I signed a 12 month lease for July 1st 2022. Something personal happened, and I contacted my landlord in December saying I needed to break the lease before the term date. He was willing to work with me and gave the offer that I would need to be out by Feb 18th, but pay for the whole month of Feb and forfeit the security deposit. I asked if I gave him more time, until April 1 and be out by March 18th, if I could keep the security deposit and he agreed to that and said he would list the place ASAP and he found someone to move in April 1st, so no loss of income for him.

So the dates of the lease were amended to the new dates and was signed by both parties. I sent an email to him recently about doing a walkthrough and when I could expect the security deposit back. He called me and said that I wouldn't be getting the security deposit back, as that was our verbal agreement and it's common practice that if someone breaks the lease, they forfeit their security deposit. I said that that wasn't our agreement and I got a new place and was acting under the assumption that I would be getting back the deposit.

Anyway, there is nothing in the new lease about forfeiting of the security deposit, though it does say "... Tenant may not elect to apply the Security Deposit as last month’s rent". I was wondering what recourse I have here? I do appreciate him breaking the lease early, but we did have a verbal agreement and I was acting with the understanding that I would be getting it back (I just signed a new lease so I'd be paying double rent now). Rent is due next week, and I was thinking about not paying and just using the security deposit as my last month's rent. If I were to do that, is it possible I could be sued and likely have to owe the rent + any legal fees?

is the agreement verbal or is the agreement your written amended new lease because the latter would be my assumption. because it sounds to me like you jointly agreed to change the date in your lease so you're not breaking the lease, you're adhering to the new written contract that does not forfeit your security deposit - but does specify you can't use it for your last month's rent.

it sounds like he's trying to steal your security deposit and you should contact someone about what your local laws on wrongfully withholding the security deposit but that might not get you it back as quick as you need

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I would never suggest you explicitly break the contract but if he's trying to steal from you, fair dues

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001

evilweasel posted:

is the agreement verbal or is the agreement your written amended new lease because the latter would be my assumption. because it sounds to me like you jointly agreed to change the date in your lease so you're not breaking the lease, you're adhering to the new written contract that does not forfeit your security deposit - but does specify you can't use it for your last month's rent.

it sounds like he's trying to steal your security deposit and you should contact someone about what your local laws on wrongfully withholding the security deposit but that might not get you it back as quick as you need

Yeah, I guess the agreement would be the new lease with the new term date, which says I should get back my security deposit.

So, I guess this boils down to either me not paying rent for the last month and using my security deposit towards it, and then them having to come after me for it. Or, me paying my last month's rent and then having to go after them for my security deposit back? if I do decide to not pay the last month's rent and use the security deposit towards it, and the property has no damages, would they be able to sue me for anything? What would they be suing for?

And to add an FYI, we have corresponded via email about the new lease before today and nothing was mentioned about forfeiting the security deposit in any of our emails, only that he would be amending the lease and the new date, he is looking for a new tenant, etc.

sausage king of Chicago fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 23, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is that one of the states where if they dont return the deposit within 2 months they have to pay triple?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I would make him come after you unless you're entitled to triple damages. definitely talk to some kind of lawyer probably if you can

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I would not put myself in the position of being in breach of contract and getting my debt sent to collections.

Landlords can and will make up poo poo about the state of the place and alleged repairs so don’t expect him to just be like “oh he didn’t pay I guess he got me :shrug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can certainly take a video of the full walkthrough when moving out, and even ask him to do it with you. Even if he says no, it’s going to be hard to argue you sledgehammered the toilet when you’ve documented you haven’t

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

My lovely work uses a program called "Time Doctor" to monitor you while you work from home. I wfh two days a week. Time Doctor takes a screenshot of your screen every now and then, and if it doesn't detect any movement/typing from you, will initiate a pop-up asking "Are you Still Working?" in which case you have one minute to click "Yes".

I work 09:00-18:00. and in-office have a 45 minute lunch break. I assumed I had 25 minutes of break time a day (general breaks, bathroom etc) but my boss has noticed on TD I am apparently only working 8 hours a day (meaning from home I clock out at 8 hours or sometimes a bit earlier). do I have any recourse or is there anything I can say here? I'm in the UK which means I'm owed 20 minutes of break time a day, but I don't know if that includes lunch.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

My lovely work uses a program called "Time Doctor" to monitor you while you work from home. I wfh two days a week. Time Doctor takes a screenshot of your screen every now and then, and if it doesn't detect any movement/typing from you, will initiate a pop-up asking "Are you Still Working?" in which case you have one minute to click "Yes".

I work 09:00-18:00. and in-office have a 45 minute lunch break. I assumed I had 25 minutes of break time a day (general breaks, bathroom etc) but my boss has noticed on TD I am apparently only working 8 hours a day (meaning from home I clock out at 8 hours or sometimes a bit earlier). do I have any recourse or is there anything I can say here? I'm in the UK which means I'm owed 20 minutes of break time a day, but I don't know if that includes lunch.
https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work seems to suggest you're entitled to one uninterrupted 20 minute break, and lunch counts. Wow that's lovely. Do you have coffee/tea breaks spelled out in a contract or handbook or something they gave you?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

https://www.amazon.com/mouse-mover-device/s?k=mouse+mover+device
put your mouse on one of these whenever you walk away from the computer

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

Start looking for a new job. That employer sounds like dogshit.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
My apartment has one of those dumb package locker systems (Luxer One). Starting March 1st the property management company is requiring residents to add a credit card on file with the package system in order to charge residents late fees if they don't pick up their packages in a timely fashion. The timeline is: the first 48 hours are free, then $3 a day after the first 48 hours, then after 7 days your package is returned to sender.

Obviously, this is just to squeeze more money out of residents. Maybe twice a year there is a backlog in this package room.

This package system isn't only for Amazon and UPS, USPS also uses it for oversize packages that don't fit in the normal USPS mailboxes.

You will also not be able to get any packages out of this system until you put a credit card on file with Luxer.

My dumb brain thinks this might be illegal because this might count as tampering with the mail.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

sausage king of Chicago posted:

Yeah, I guess the agreement would be the new lease with the new term date, which says I should get back my security deposit.

So, I guess this boils down to either me not paying rent for the last month and using my security deposit towards it, and then them having to come after me for it. Or, me paying my last month's rent and then having to go after them for my security deposit back? if I do decide to not pay the last month's rent and use the security deposit towards it, and the property has no damages, would they be able to sue me for anything? What would they be suing for?

And to add an FYI, we have corresponded via email about the new lease before today and nothing was mentioned about forfeiting the security deposit in any of our emails, only that he would be amending the lease and the new date, he is looking for a new tenant, etc.

Iirc from other times this had come up in the thread if you don't pay and assume it'll come out of the deposit the landlord can gently caress you over.

If you do pay and they keep the deposit you can gently caress them over, but you'll probably have to take them to court.

Any kind of i went to court over renting a place is basically an instant black ball for any future landlords. They take knowing and exercising of your rights about as well as cops.

IANAL but follow the written contract, weigh the time an expense of getting a lawyer or trying your hand in small claims to recover the security deposit.

Here's emails, here's a written signed contract, here's a video of an exit walk though sounds compelling for small claims court.