Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The SNP had a handful of MPs until they suddenly didn't. The Greens should replicate that strategy of hoovering up all the disaffected Labour support until the balance tips in their favour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

You would have to actually do this, though. And the Greens have had one (1) MP for a long time now. In a FPTP system what you just said isn't, actually, necessarily, true. The only independent I'm pretty sure would win is Corbyn himself.

Eh, there's a history of Labour leftists running in FPTP races & giving the Labour right a bloody nose, most notably Ken Livingstone in 2000 & Dennis Canavan in 1999. Canavan was a Labour MP who wanted to move to the new Scottish parliament but Blair rejected him so he ran as an independent & won

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Eh, there's a history of Labour leftists running in FPTP races & giving the Labour right a bloody nose, most notably Ken Livingstone in 2000 & Dennis Canavan in 1999. Canavan was a Labour MP who wanted to move to the new Scottish parliament but Blair rejected him so he ran as an independent & won

Ken Livingstone also did the same to be mayor iirc

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/adamparsons/status/1625784998144909312

A cowardly man caught between two acts of cowardice

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Nicola Sturgeon is resigning today.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1625796259905675264

Shame, she seemed like the best of a terrible, terrible bunch. Fingers crossed her replacement isn't some right wing psychopath like it has been for every other party.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Gonzo McFee posted:

Fingers crossed her replacement isn't some right wing psychopath like it has been for every other party.

lol, lmao

They'll select the terfyist terf to ever terf.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ah nivur tuched them weemin

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Congrats Joanna Cherry I guess

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

sinky posted:

lol, lmao

They'll select the terfyist terf to ever terf.

I mean is there any evidence of that? Beyond Joan Cherry and a bunch of Edinburgh middle class fascists, has there been any sign that the SNP is infested with TERF's? Was it just Nicola Sturgeon holding back the wave of right wingers?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
why is she resigning? she doesnt seem that old? I'm sure she was on the radio the other day and laughed off a question about what she'd do after politics.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
TERFs are in full gloating mode right now, having decided that this was entirely or at least largely because of the GRA stuff. I don't think the SNP has a member on Sturgeon's level, I think there's a real possibility they're on a downward spiral now as a party.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe she just wants to go out while still being ridiculously popular and is sick of cunts moaning at her about how she should either declare independence now or ban trans people (take your pick).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's a shame, she was obviously crooked as hell but there's no sign she'll be replaced by anyone better. Here's hoping the independence train keeps on choo-chooing

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Gonzo McFee posted:

I mean is there any evidence of that? Beyond Joan Cherry and a bunch of Edinburgh middle class fascists, has there been any sign that the SNP is infested with TERF's? Was it just Nicola Sturgeon holding back the wave of right wingers?

The membership is very TERFy but were willing to set it aside for independence. Before they all left for Alba, the TERF bloc nearly swept the SNP's National Executive Council based on membership votes. If a transphobe candidate stands, I'd expect them to do well. Aside from the Tories obviously, the SNP also had the highest proportion of their MSP's voting against GRA reform.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

all hail new first minister Limmy

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
On behalf of Scotland, sorry guys, we hosed it again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

She's been the best First Minister we've had to date, and it's a blow for the Nats for sure.

Absolutely no idea who will replace her, Kate Forbes is one name I've heard for a while but I hate the idea of a Wee Free as FM

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Not a great day for any kind of remotely progressive politics in this godforsaken country. :sigh:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can't think of anyone in Holyrood with any charisma or talent, they're all kinda have a generic middle management vibe.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Payndz posted:

Not a great day for any kind of remotely progressive politics in this godforsaken country. :sigh:

just for fun I'm trying to think back to the last great day for any kind of remotely progressive politics in this godforsaken country and, well, I'm still thinking

the day after the 2017 election was a good day, but I'm sure there were a few after that

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Barry Foster posted:

just for fun I'm trying to think back to the last great day for any kind of remotely progressive politics in this godforsaken country and, well, I'm still thinking

the day after the 2017 election was a good day, but I'm sure there were a few after that

Johnson coming in and losing his first dozen or so votes in the Commons as PM was fun, but hardly a "great day" I suppose.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Can't think of anyone in Holyrood with any charisma or talent, they're all kinda have a generic middle management vibe.

Devolved politics, the very definition of middle management, so this checks out

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

From Wiki:

Alongside these more refined and elaborate recipes, a simpler form of white pudding was popular in Ireland, Scotland, and some parts of Northern England, combining suet, oatmeal (or barley in Northumberland), seasoning and onions, in sheep's or cow's intestines. In Gaelic-speaking parts of Scotland and Ireland they were referred to by the names marag gheal or putóg bhán.[8]: 883  These oatmeal-based puddings survived into modern Irish and Scottish cuisine, although with significant regional differences. Modern commercially made Scottish white puddings are generally based on oatmeal, onions, and beef suet;[9] the same mixture simply fried in a pan is known as skirlie.

All the commercial ones iv'e looked at & eaten in N.I. were pork based, can't rule out individual butchers trying beef though but it would be a rare one. :shrug:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
gutted

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Furlough was a pretty big victory considering how much Johnson and Sunak didn't want to do it.

But yeah, today is bad even by regular UK standards. I don't see how people don't go full-doomer.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

What the gently caress is your avatar?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tesseraction posted:

all hail new first minister Limmy

Would genuinely make Scotland a better place

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

What the gently caress is your avatar?

I made some transphobe mad, they keep buying me this poo poo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

loving yikes, do you want that blanked?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Lol at anyone who thinks that a bunch of lefties defecting to the Greens ends in anything other than the Greens getting savaged in the media until they're a bloody pulp.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

josh04 posted:

Sure

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Lol at anyone who thinks that a bunch of lefties defecting to the Greens ends in anything other than the Greens getting savaged in the media until they're a bloody pulp.

Probably, but what's the alternative? "Stay and fight" in Labour and be savaged until they're a bloody pulp? Stand as independents and be savaged until they're a bloody pulp?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Furlough was a pretty big victory considering how much Johnson and Sunak didn't want to do it.

But yeah, today is bad even by regular UK standards. I don't see how people don't go full-doomer.

I've been full-doomer for three years now, you get used to it, honestly (though there are always little flare-ups of panic/despair)

You learn to focus on the little things. The world is hosed and this country is hosed and there is nothing any of us can do to prevent it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

All the commercial ones iv'e looked at & eaten in N.I. were pork based, can't rule out individual butchers trying beef though but it would be a rare one. :shrug:

Yeah, it says it's regional - which is what I originally wondered. Ireland, Scotland and Northumbria use beef suet and less meat, NI and southern England use pork and it's more of a meat pudding.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think today was the first time I felt mad about the news in a while. I've been mostly resigned to the whole thing be a panto written by a tory with a brain injury for a while but watching Labour go from "We need to tag every refugee like cattle" to pretending to be antiracist in the space of a day and the press just nodding along set something off in me. It feels so insulting to be expected to buy it. But the press isn't there for me, it's not even there for anyone in the public. The press exists to manufacture consent among itself.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Frankly I'dve sacked it after Westminster overruled Scotland on the Gender Reform Bill.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 15, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

sebzilla posted:

Probably, but what's the alternative?

Build a time machine and go back to circa 2015 time

Short of a revolution, our political system is beyond repair now. Any left wing alternative will be Corbynised by the establishment's media lasers. No left wing alternative will be allowed the oxygen to breathe.

We don't even have an independent Electoral Commission anymore, which is now a unit controlled directly within No.10. Protesting is pretty much illegal, as will be many forms of industrial action soon, and all our political parties offer just different flavours of the same poo poo.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

josh04 posted:

Presumably there's no way to find who bought it? That's fuckin vulgar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Would genuinely make Scotland a better place

Half his twitch audience call him a Tory.