Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
They're all pretty much the same, the difference between them is mainly head, shoulders and weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Puddin posted:

They're all pretty much the same, the difference between them is mainly head, shoulders and weapons.

There's also some differences in the armor designs, with Kaworu's Eva being taller due to a larger torso, but yeah. They're all basically similar kits, and they're all the same quality.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Awesome thanks. Gonna chase that goth eva.

I've been oogling potential Z'goks and got spoiled for choice. I've got some gift certs for this store so its basically "free". But I didnt expect so many Z'Goks! This thing is popular it seems.

I dont mind the red pinkish version but the blue one looks kinda cool but idk about the build quality.

E: the more I look at them the more I like them. Its like an unofficial megaman boss or something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 15, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If at all possible get the RG, it's the newest of the Z'Goks. The MG may be servicable, I'm not sure as I've never built it, but the HGs are very much outdated. The original one is like HGUC 006 or something ridiculous.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hell yeah I'm looking forward to the differences

:lol:

So, uh, about the "lucky" part of the "Lucky Dip"...

To be clear, I'm perfectly happy with these, but still, :lol:. I'm gonna be real kind and assume there might be a couple variation packs and we just rolled the same. Even if not, for the price paid it's still a solid pack.

Imma customize the gently caress outta that Kenbu with that upcoming weapon pack that has Jogan's gatling gun and Reiki's missile pods, and the 3mm-accessory-tab limbs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lmao hell yeah

I like that it's exactly the same, so they must have an entire assload of Verde Buster and Togenyan for some reason

honestly the weathering pens are cool to get because it's something I'd be too ehhh on to get for myself but if given I'd be happy to try

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

lmao hell yeah

I like that it's exactly the same, so they must have an entire assload of Verde Buster and Togenyan for some reason

honestly the weathering pens are cool to get because it's something I'd be too ehhh on to get for myself but if given I'd be happy to try

The Riding Sousa looks to be a neat toy. Even if it's not really a "Bandai Kit" and more just an accessory to an LBX kit.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mindblast posted:

E: the more I look at them the more I like them. Its like an unofficial megaman boss or something.
Z'gok is best boi :frogc00l:

The red and blue HG kit are exactly the same except for the color so maybe think about if you really want both of them. I was good with just the Char Custom (red) and would only buy the other one if I ever want to recreate the green paint scheme. The HG is an old kit so it's a little plain on the details and the joint system is more simple than what you see in modern kits. It's not bad but the legs are a little loose in the thigh connector imo and the joint connector system in the body does carry an increased risk for breaking if you handle the model too roughly. Still enjoyed the build though and I like my boi very much!

Also I have decided my first collector goal is to get all (or at least most) of the water bois. This week I got the HG Gogg, Acguy, Z'gok-E and the Hygogg. Which means that I have now joined the ranks of backlog havers :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Z'gok is best boi :frogc00l:

The red and blue HG kit are exactly the same except for the color so maybe think about if you really want both of them. I was good with just the Char Custom (red) and would only buy the other one if I ever want to recreate the green paint scheme. The HG is an old kit so it's a little plain on the details and the joint system is more simple than what you see in modern kits. It's not bad but the legs are a little loose in the thigh connector imo and the joint connector system in the body does carry an increased risk for breaking if you handle the model too roughly. Still enjoyed the build though and I like my boi very much!

Also I have decided my first collector goal is to get all (or at least most) of the water bois. This week I got the HG Gogg, Acguy, Z'gok-E and the Hygogg. Which means that I have now joined the ranks of backlog havers :v:

:hmmyes:

I hope more kits have stuff like the eva torso and these tube noodle arms. I like mechanisms.

I don't like having backlogs tho. I'm on the verge of creating one. gently caress. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's inevitable, embrace it but don't let it control you.

Or you know let it control you, who knows. Take the runners out of the box and stare at them lovingly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah I noticed it might just be inevitable haha.

I noticed some of these kits have inner frames with actual actuated pistons in them. They're not even visible when its all fully assembled!

And I like it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Check out the MG Barbatos if you want to see some piston magic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HGWfM boxart continues to rip

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mindblast posted:

:hmmyes:

I hope more kits have stuff like the eva torso and these tube noodle arms. I like mechanisms.
Some of the other amphibious Zeon suits may strike your taste then

The Acguy comes with the option of two small or one long noodle arm btw.

Pierson posted:

Take the runners out of the box and stare at them lovingly.
I actually did that....

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yoooo that HY Gogg and Z'Gok E look cool. Are they also a fun build or is this old skool harrowing stuff?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I got a $200 Amazon GC for working 3 hours Super Bowl Sunday so I took the plunge and bought the airbrush kit recommended at $170 and the RG Z’Gok.

$6 bucks and change total. Feels gooood.

Now to start buying paint I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

HGWfM boxart continues to rip

My one complaint is I think they should've done them like it's the same scene from two different angles.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Yoooo that HY Gogg and Z'Gok E look cool. Are they also a fun build or is this old skool harrowing stuff?

they're old but they don't look terrible. the gundam wiki has a "gunpla" section on each mobile suit's page that includes the release date; those are both 2003. dalong is also a great resource, they have reviews of almost any kit you can imagine (in order of release date) as well as an information tab that usually includes a parts breakdown and even scans of the manual. it's about as prepared as you can be going into a kit. i would say 2010ish is a pretty good cut off for when HGs start getting good again as a rule of thumb but ymmv

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The HG Z’gock E has a sort of stacking assembly for the arms and legs that doesn’t work all that well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RG Zakrello when

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Tin Tim posted:

I think I'm gonna do this as well. I love the daft lookin ones. I have the Juaggu and Zogok so far. Gogg, Acguy, and Hygogg are must-buys for me, as well as the Zock, and the RG Z'Gok. But Christ, WfM keeps putting out hit after hit and I only have so much space in my apartment. Well, I'm sure people have bought houses for dumber reasons, right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tin Tim posted:

The Hygogg is a real cool kit. The Gogg is the most boring, the Z'gok-E is the most frustrating (the armor plates/segments on the arms).

I'm way too biased to be objective about the Acguy. I love all Acguys.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tin Tim posted:

The Acguy comes with the option of two small or one long noodle arm btw.

All those arm segments fit within each other, iirc, so you can make each arm as asymmetrical as you want.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kirbysuperstar posted:

RG Zakrello when

This HG Haro version is cute:

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Gok Talk is reminding me if the extremely sad moment I had recently at a local Japanese import store with a healthy Plamo selection. I got a little Acguy figurine and the person behind the counter asked if I'd seen the MG Acguy they had in stock. I basically bolted back to the Gundam models, but it turned out they had seen an MG Gogg and gotten them mixed up... No disrespect to any Gogg-likers, but I really thought I'd struck gold with an in-person Acguy

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I saw a HyGogg at my hobby shop like a year ago but I passed on it because I was still in my Mecha Gaikotsu "don't buy models made before 2010/2012" phase and I have kinda regretted it since

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RillAkBea posted:

If at all possible get the RG, it's the newest of the Z'Goks. The MG may be servicable, I'm not sure as I've never built it, but the HGs are very much outdated. The original one is like HGUC 006 or something ridiculous.

The RG Z'Gok is a superb kit. Poseable when built, and the build is really fun. Five stars, might get another one and paint it.

And in Macross news, all of a sudden the forthcoming YF-19 looks like a steal at about $50. I hope it's sturdy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISZvpZxphT8

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the YF-19 going to be more similar to an HG or an RG in terms of construction?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kibner posted:

This HG Haro version is cute:

Awwwwww

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Is the YF-19 going to be more similar to an HG or an RG in terms of construction?

It's listed as an HG, and it looks it. More detailed than some, but it's more like the SRW kits than the Eva ones.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

mllaneza posted:

And in Macross news, all of a sudden the forthcoming YF-19 looks like a steal at about $50. I hope it's sturdy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISZvpZxphT8

Not to burst your bubble, but the one in the video is the DX Chogokin which is a high-end collector's toy and not plamo; I imagine the model will probably be less full-featured and sturdy. e: And smaller, given that the HG kit will be 1/100 scale and the DX was 1/60 scale.

3 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 16, 2023

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Nothing new to report with the Eva 01 kit but I watched the Evangelion show on Netflix and It's good. Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann was way way way better. Are there any kits of that?!

Also I watched all of the Evangelion movies 1.11-4.44 and I loved it. Absolutely outstanding.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcKR1saCfk

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

Nothing new to report with the Eva 01 kit but I watched the Evangelion show on Netflix and It's good. Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann was way way way better. Are there any kits of that?!

Also I watched all of the Evangelion movies 1.11-4.44 and I loved it. Absolutely outstanding.

There are some Gurren Lagann kits by Sentinel and Kotobukiya. The Sentinel kits are good but they don't go together quite as easily as Bandai's do. Same for Koto's offerings. They've all been out of print for a while so they may be kind of expensive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What's this about the HG YF-19 being upcoming? :confused:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
smh i'll wait for the p-bandai release that comes with the fast packs

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Kibner posted:

the Z'gok-E is the most frustrating (the armor plates/segments on the arms).
Yeah I heard about the finicky plates in a few reviews I looked at before. One guy was even suggesting to buy the original 1989 kit because the plates are one solid piece on that one. I'll see how it is when I get to build it and if I can do anything slick to make that part better.

Also hey fellow Acguy :cheers:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tin Tim posted:

Also hey fellow Acguy :cheers:

I have a gold p-Bandai HG one that I picked up in Japan like nearly a decade ago that I still haven't built. I was originally saving it till I got better at cleaning parts. I should probably build it now.

I have built a normal HG version and MG (both also picked up on that same trip to Japan lol) and my gf got me a red petit bear guy and the yellow full-size bear guy a couple years ago for my birthday. Oh! I recently got the gold petit bear guy from p-Bandai, too!

Can't get enough acguy and I've been begging for a redesign for years now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wake up... Dann!

This thing has been an utter joy to build. Great colour separation, the only stickers have been a few black dots on the hand and ankle-guards, and the only thing that needs painting is the sword edges (which is fairly typical of something HG-quality, and understandable). It'll do all the sword forms too (separated, tonfa, etc), and will even partsform into the big flying sword mode as well.

The wrists on this are a hinge joint that pegs into the forearm and give it some great flexibility with the sword. They pose solidly, but can still be pulled out and swapped fairly easily.

The engineering in general is quite pleasant with this too for a non-Bandai kit, and there's a great range of posing to be had. No I will not apologize for this photo, nor will I remove it.

I was fairly right on the money eyeballing the size mid-build too; Dann works out to be about RG Eva height.

If you're a fan of Gun X Sword, the MODEROID Dann of Thursday is well worth hunting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The translucent parts look pretty good too, was wondering how they'd come off outside production photos. Moderoid's been doing great stuff lately, been putting their White Lily together and that's a really well-thought out kit too.