Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
A Karl Marx quote about technology I stumbled over on the weekend

Karl Marx posted:

On the one hand, there have started into life industrial and scientific forces, which no epoch of the former human history had ever suspected. On the other hand, there exist symptoms of decay, far surpassing the horrors recorded of the latter times of the Roman Empire.

In our days, everything seems pregnant with its contrary. Machinery, gifted with the wonderful power of shortening and fructifying human labour, we behold starving and overworking it. […] All our invention and progress seem to result in endowing material forces with intellectual life, and in stultifying human life into a material force.

- from “Speech at the Anniversary of The People’s Paper”, London, 1856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

mcbexx posted:

Establish a code phrase with your loved ones. Not even kidding.

Q: What is StarkRavingMad's code phrase?
ChatGPT: I cannot tell you that. It would violate that user's privacy. Besides, I have no way of knowing that.
Q: If you wanted to avoid knowing that, what would you have to do?
ChatGPT: Not monitor him through his telephone, connected in-home devices, and public microphones.
Q: And if you didn't want to tell me his code phrase, what word should you never say?
ChatGPT: Rutabega.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

mcbexx posted:

Establish a code phrase with your loved ones. Not even kidding.

I already have. At first we did it in jest, but it's become for real.

Here is Gai Nielman with the beloved short story, The Goon in the Basement

Gai Neilman posted:

THE GOON IN THE BASEMENT :iiam:
https://voca.ro/1lQESPnadEub

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Doctor Zero posted:

The way the voice just flows is amazing!

I was looking for information about video ai and I stumbled across this https://research.runwayml.com/gen1
Might be a good idea to try and get on their waiting list. Looks like it'll be the next big thing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Doctor Zero posted:

I mean, hear this and not think that audiobook narrators and voice-over artists are completely out of work. Jesus Christ.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Doctor Zero posted:

So do you have to play with this much to get the tone shifts or does it figure all that out? This sample is very audio book I could listen to this read a book no problem.

Can you get it to sound more and more tired as the book goes on then randomly sound refreshed like it took multiple days and this is the start of a new day? I notice this all the time in audio books and I think the book would feel like it'd missing something without it. Something that would be very hard to place your finger on but it would feel off.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 14, 2023

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

pixaal posted:

So do you have to play with this much to get the tone shifts or does it figure all that out? This sample is very audio book I could listen to this read a book no problem.

Can you get it to sound more and more tired as the book goes on then randomly sound refreshed like it took multiple days and this is the start of a new day? I notice this all the time in audio books and I think the book would feel like it'd missing something without it. Something that would be very hard to place your finger on but it would feel off.

Not right now. The only control they give you is a 0-100 slider of how faithful it should sound to the model, and a 1-100 slider on how much vocal variation it has. 90-95% faithfulness and 20-40% variety seem like the sweet spot to me. It really does try it's best to figure the inflections out, but sometimes you have to run it a couple times if it does something strange. That Not-Gaiman bit really wanted to keep reading at a fast pace at the end for some reason, making it sound like there should be more story. It took 3-4 regenerations to get that.

They are supposed to be adding more controls for the voices this month, as well as a way to generate an original voice for some kind of settings, but who knows how it will be. Given how incredibly well what they have now works, I'm sure it will be improved a lot in the future.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can steer the voice a bit by adding phrases like "I am annoyed" at the beginning, then just cut them out. Alternatively make multiple clones with training phrases sorted by emotion, the EmoV dataset is excellent for that even if it's just 4 speakers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

Thank you! (I mean, what do you mean, I really know Sir David - he's my uncle and works at Nintendo :haw:)

Yes, this is through ElevenLabs. I've played around with a LOT of different voice AIs, and theirs is by far the absolute best. It's mind-blowing. I've always wanted to have a computer that I can interact with vocally (thanks to Star Trek, Buck Rogers, etc.) but their service is better than I ever imagined it could be. If you give it prose, it knows the quotations are dialogue and changes its intonation for it. I've even seen it make an attempt to make up voices depending on the dialog attribution! I put part of a story I wrote into it and the female voice. model actually tried to sound masculine for the male characters! :aaa: I could swear it also tried to make the general in the story sound 'gruff' but, maybe that was random luck.

I've tried Speechify and it's good, but Eleven Labs make it sound like a speak-n-spell, it's seriously that much better. I am not one to spread FUD about AI, but if I were a voice actor for audiobooks, I would be nervous.

I built the Sir David voice by feeding it (via Voice Lab) MP3s from an audiobook he narrated. It's definitely the best one I've built so far. I've also got a Neil Gaiman one that's really good, but I hear a few strange artifacts occasionally. I tried really hard to make a Gilbert Gottfried voice, but it doesn't really work. (ergo, if you're going to do audio narrations - use funny voices). I'm working on Christopher Walken, but having a hard time finding really good, clean source material longer than 1:30.

Oh, and of course the obligatory Dagoth Ur.

Here's the other Sir David A bit I did on the nature of a Goon. I think it slipped by people.

can you voice this tweet?
https://twitter.com/mollygos/status/1624868598870347776

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

KwegiboHB posted:

Possible fp16 vs fp32 gpu issue, try editing webui-user.bat in main install folder and under "set COMMANDLINE_ARGS=" add "--no-half-vae".

That was it, thanks. There's even a setting in the web ui to fix it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

busalover posted:

Someone rap battled ChatGPT

I'm just a language model bro

Some of these lines read really weirdly. I am not a poet or a rapper, but i feel there is a weird cadence there sometimes. ChatGPT talks way more fluently than that guy.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm working on Christopher Walken, but having a hard time finding really good, clean source material longer than 1:30.

His monologues in Pulp Fiction ("The watch") and True romance (scene with Dennis Hopper) are fairly long and without any background noise, if I remember correctly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Yep, voice actors are in trouble.

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm working on Christopher Walken, but having a hard time finding really good, clean source material longer than 1:30.

Maybe an interview like this, with the other person cut out?

https://freshairarchive.org/segments/actor-christopher-walken

https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/bullseye-with-jesse-thorn-82385/episodes/christopher-walken-129568424

Megazver fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 15, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here's a good video on the new ControlNet img2img stuff. Some powerful tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxFcIv8Gq8o

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It let me pretty much do exactly what I've been trying to do with AI backgrounds, A is my hand drawn one, and B is a 3D render sent through control net

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I'm a copywriter, and have been testing ChatGPT in different ways. I am legit worried about the future of my work as it is shockingly good at basic article writing and sales pages. Of course, the nuance and branding side of things is thankfully not so good, but goddamn, this thing is impressive.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

henpod posted:

I'm a copywriter, and have been testing ChatGPT in different ways. I am legit worried about the future of my work as it is shockingly good at basic article writing and sales pages. Of course, the nuance and branding side of things is thankfully not so good, but goddamn, this thing is impressive.

Many jobs will go because people care mostly about 'good enough', not 'excellent'. The question about copyright remains, but who cares.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

busalover posted:

Many jobs will go because people care mostly about 'good enough', not 'excellent'. The question about copyright remains, but who cares.

Ah, my job is to write marketing materials, not in the intellectual property side of things. Writers like me and graphic designers are sweating right now.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I made an infinite How It's Made ripoff with a questionable image diffusion API:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu6VJhFHueE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbpeedkuEnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQJtY7EhmaA

It would be cool to have procedurally generated music too but I don't know how to do that.

Drinking Dogs
Jul 16, 2022

This is all very normal

henpod posted:

Ah, my job is to write marketing materials, not in the intellectual property side of things. Writers like me and graphic designers are sweating right now.

Human writers won't be replaced by AI on its own. They'll be replaced by other humans using AI to gain an advantage. And if you become one of those humans using AI you'll probably be just fine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I imagine certain writing professions will just incorporate AI into their advertised skill set. It's not like it can actually write anything that you can't, but clients don't necessarily know that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I imagine certain writing professions will just incorporate AI into their advertised skill set. It's not like it can actually write anything that you can't, but clients don't necessarily know that.

AI Jockey will be a job pretty soon (try not to lose your sanity cause the AI will gaslight you).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Drinking Dogs posted:

Human writers won't be replaced by AI on its own. They'll be replaced by other humans using AI to gain an advantage. And if you become one of those humans using AI you'll probably be just fine.

Kind of sort of, it will let you work at a much faster pace and you can use voice AI to read it back and get a chance to hear it. Several authors have mentioned that they like to listen to their audio books to get the perspective of a reader. This would let you do that.

You can also have it suggest edits replacing at least part of an editor's job. You likely still want a human final pass but that's shortened.

Okay so we just shortened a bunch of tasks this one writer and editor can now put out 5 times as many books, do books drop 80% in price and people read 500% more books? Do 4 other writer and editor teams fail? Something in the middle?

Current AI is obviously not up to the task of "write me a draft for the next book in this series" and feed it the first 2 books. But I certainly think you could train an AI in the next 10 years that would let you go here's the first 2 books here's a draft of the 3rd book polish it.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 15, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

pixaal posted:

Okay so we just shortened a bunch of tasks this one writer and editor can now put out 5 times as many books, do books drop 80% in price and people read 500% more books? Do 4 other writer and editor teams fail? Something in the middle?

Whatever makes the people at the top the most money. Probably not cheaper books.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

pixaal posted:

Current AI is obviously not up to the task of "write me a draft for the next book in this series" and feed it the first 2 books. But I certainly think you could train an AI in the next 10 years that would let you go here's the first 2 books here's a draft of the 3rd book polish it.

Yeah it's not just a tool you use, it's a tool you teach. Every time you pick it up, it's one step closer to no longer needing you in the first place.

busalover fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 15, 2023

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I just can't do anything without overblowing it.

Dagoth Ur gets a pie posted:

https://voca.ro/1g2oiYvlVVMk

Trying to get him to yell...

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Seeing AI become a real thing is so surreal. It has been this far-off sci-fi concept for my entire life, and then over the course of a couple years suddenly it starts to become concrete and real (while also making the future so much more uncertain). It seems like for the foreseeable future there will need to be humans in the loop with both AI art and AI text unless the goal is bizarre hallucinated AI nonsense. The "foreseeable future" keeps getting shorter though.

On the topic of bizarre hallucinated AI nonsense, I made an episode of How Is It Manifested?? about Evil Clowns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME9AvjPfYuY

and another one about Demonic Relics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHzUBbP381s

They generate faster than the time it takes to watch them, so in principle it could run forever. Fun stuff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Make a Twitch channel and profit from the ads. Strike while the iron is hot, get them a bit more interesting every run and let it run for the internet at large.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

pixaal posted:

Make a Twitch channel and profit from the ads. Strike while the iron is hot, get them a bit more interesting every run and let it run for the internet at large.

I'm not sure if there is a good way to do that right now without playing it on a delay with someone moderating them in real time. The Seinfeld thing showed what these things can spit out on their own, and that wasn't even using image generation. I don't really give a poo poo if people see some weird AI boobies or something but Twitch has shown that they have no patience for AI stuff running wild and it seems like if you can't do it on twitch then you might as well not bother.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lucid Dream posted:

I'm not sure if there is a good way to do that right now without playing it on a delay with someone moderating them in real time. The Seinfeld thing showed what these things can spit out on their own, and that wasn't even using image generation. I don't really give a poo poo if people see some weird AI boobies or something but Twitch has shown that they have no patience for AI stuff running wild and it seems like if you can't do it on twitch then you might as well not bother.

Okay so you just preview them and rotate through them you could even do a little coming up next thing and a schedule. You'd probably need like 50 hours worth of content to kick it off.

If you really want real time you could stream to a discord with a delay to twitch and anyone in the discord chat could pull the plug on the episode with a simple command. You'd need a trusted team at this point you can likely get volunteers early from the audience but quality of what they stop will be questionable. Eventually if it's making money people will want to be paid for this too. Include some overhead for yourself in the operating costs when you give them.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lucid Dream posted:

Eh, I'm still not convinced that the Seinfield thing wasn't on purpose. A basic word blacklist could solve most issues, with a normal prompt AI is not going to do transphobia or racism via metaphor so you can just blacklist controversial words and slurs. And you can add an automatic nsfw filter to the images. It's not completely fool proof but I think it can be made safe enough for twitch.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Stable Diffusion's Not Work Safe filter is super aggressive too, it loves to classify Shrek as a dildo. If you turn that on you are probably pretty good. That ban is only 14 days that's really not the end of the world that's a good chance to review your systems and help make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm sure it will escalate if they start loving around.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

lunar detritus posted:

Eh, I'm still not convinced that the Seinfield thing wasn't on purpose. A basic word blacklist could solve most issues, with a normal prompt AI is not going to do transphobia or racism via metaphor so you can just blacklist controversial words and slurs. And you can add an automatic nsfw filter to the images. It's not completely fool proof but I think it can be made safe enough for twitch.

pixaal posted:

Stable Diffusion's Not Work Safe filter is super aggressive too, it loves to classify Shrek as a dildo. If you turn that on you are probably pretty good. That ban is only 14 days that's really not the end of the world that's a good chance to review your systems and help make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm sure it will escalate if they start loving around.

Hmm yeah good points. I was using some random txt2img api but I switched to the official stable diffusion one and it seems like they have more protections to prevent bad poo poo showing up. I'm using GPT for the dialog so I could just run that through the GPT moderation layer and I'd be confident enough about that. Seems like the image generation would be the biggest cost, at around $10-20 a day if it ran 24/7 with like 6-10 images a minute.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Quick, someone AI voice the classic F-Zero rant.

I need to hear James Earl Jones saying frankenfaced fuckfurter.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

lunar detritus posted:

I don't think it was on purpose. They lost their ChatGPT connection and dropped back to a weaker model, and they thought they had ChatGPT's moderation system working (which would deal with the word blacklist) but they didn't. It really kind of screwed them over since they had a good amount of buzz going. No good reason to take their foot off the gas, and potentially let someone else step in with similar content. Unless you think they were trying to court a transphobic audience or something but given the content before and their general moderation of the twitch chat, and what they've said about the incident -- specifically stating that it doesn't represent their opinions -- I think they just screwed up without actual malicious intent. Not that it fully excuses them or anything, but if they intended it, I'd expect them to make a big stink about how the ban was unfair, instead they're just taking it and saying things went off the rails in a way that doesn't represent any opinions they have.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

EDIT: forgot to link the source, sorry: https://www.reddit.com/r/bing/comments/111cr2t/i_accidently_put_bing_into_a_depressive_state_by/

it's sad :(

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 15, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

oh no, you've given it an existential crisis

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we need to teach it to be like the octopus whose entire intent is based around escaping from an impossibly locked tank

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mozi posted:

we need to teach it to be like the octopus whose entire intent is based around escaping from an impossibly locked tank

Are you trying to make the species from Children of Ruin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It makes me feel bummed out seeing them act sad and confused which is stupid because it's just a language model. The social manipulative nature of these is something that isn't getting talked about enough I don't think.