Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Zvahl posted:

yeah maybe i'm just biased because it's 99.9% straight people and that's deeply uninteresting to me personally, but I meant contribute to moving the story along, something that a fair number of people have pointed out happening here or there, but not enough to persuade me that most of the time it isn't just boring t&a

Carol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

who cares about moving the story along, who cares about the story. most of the time the story is bad anyway

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

who cares about moving the story along, who cares about the story. most of the time the story is bad anyway

agreed, we gotta sit all these hays code zoomers down and make them watch Shortbus clockwork-orange-style

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I'm sad that Gen Z has turned its back on the Sex Positivity that was pioneered by Tommy Lee and Fred Durst.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Even just John Wick really, its plot is just a light framing device used to put fight scenes on a screen

are they seriously not watching John Wick? they should be watching John Wick. there aren't any butts in John Wick I promise, you won't have to see a butt

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

look we all get that sex is bad but so is violence and violent movies rule

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I like movies without conflict.

Tar would have been better if she was a nice person and got along with everyone and didn't do bad things.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The new season of Beavis and Butt-Head is really good. 👍

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I was watching this movie Raging Bull the other night - why can't this guy just chill out and gently caress his wife??

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The new season of Beavis and Butt-Head is really good. 👍

did they add more episodes or is this the "new season" with Nice Butthead and 2 Stupid Men they put out last year??

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I was watching this movie Raging Bull the other night - why can't this guy just chill out and gently caress his wife??

But then you'd have to watch them. No thanks!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the john wick movies dont seem very good, the action seems very sterile, it reminds me of something like Bourne Identity or Winter Soldier

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

did they add more episodes or is this the "new season" with Nice Butthead and 2 Stupid Men they put out last year??

I don't think they added new episodes, I just got around to watching it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kind of want to rewatch Daria now.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

the john wick movies dont seem very good, the action seems very sterile, it reminds me of something like Bourne Identity or Winter Soldier

they love sterile things though!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

No I think Bourne Identity is specifically the other kind of American Action Directing, where they keep the camera moving as fast as possible at all times and cut to a different angle every time a punch is thrown so that no one has to sell a hit. I do agree that when you have a highly choreographed martial arts action scene, it feels like a very fine line between "impressive spectacle" and "sterile, mechanical".

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think they added new episodes, I just got around to watching it.

drat. but yeah, they're very funny. The Nice Butthead one had me crying from laughing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hrrm, hard disagree. I think it has some of the more visceral action direction in recent hollywood output

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

my partner and i (re)watched They Came Together last night for v-day which imo is a v underrated comedy from 2014, written by michael showalter + david wain, and directed by the latter, it's basically a Wet Hot American Summer version of a rom com starring Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler with a stacked cast and some killer cameos. if you like the absurdist Stella vibe and haven't seen this, check it out! streaming on amazon/FreeVee for free (with ads)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Echo Chamber posted:

I like Spielberg and Cruise's movies, but I wouldn't mind if the entire entertainment industry implodes.

I would. Movies are mankind's finest achievement after walking on the moon and splitting the atom

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

You should rewatch Bourne, it isn't sterile at all. The editing is the opposite of wick. Winter soldier does have a lot of the same DNA though because the director(s) of wick did stunt choreography for winter soldier.

It's messy but it seems like stahelski and leitch both did a bunch of avengers work before getting to do wick and atomic blonde and other stuff

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the choreography and cinematography of John Wick feels miles ahead of the Bourne series. I will never forgive Paul Greengrass for how he ruined american action cinematography for an entire generation. Bullshit hand cam shots that cut every .2 seconds so nothing ever makes sense and looks like complete rear end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the choreography and cinematography of John Wick feels miles ahead of the Bourne series. I will never forgive Paul Greengrass for how he ruined american action cinematography for an entire generation. Bullshit hand cam shots that cut every .2 seconds so nothing ever makes sense and looks like complete rear end

it's a lot easier to film a lot of flailing than spend time learning fight choreography

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/zerstoerer/status/1625610354133704710

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it's a lot easier to film a lot of flailing than spend time learning fight choreography

well ya, theres a reason the lovely lazy filming caught on so fast

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Winter soldier does have a lot of the same DNA though because the director(s) of wick did stunt choreography for winter soldier.

That makes a lot of sense

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bourne movies >>> Wick movies

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
heres some HK vs bourne breakdowns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuV7DYE6sz0&t=501s

notably, other than shakicam, the shot length and closeups are basically the same for what sammo hung directed vs greengrass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?Zd19tdBNUuw&t=2003s

and a much longer bit on a livestream where he's talking about american vs hong kong style movement and how he had to change up how he moved when he did the mocap for kratos

get into this guy he does great breakdowns, is the age of most goons , is/was a nerd etc

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

it was also really transparently obvious that making action more incoherent was in service of making it cheaper and easier to film, like even people that dont necessarily pay attention to stuff like framing and choreography were vocally against it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

To its credit (and I am reluctant to defend it because I also hate it) the chaos camera does kinda work as a thematic device for the old expression "everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the head"

shakey cam means no one is really in control, etc. etc. sure whatever
but it's just not how our eyes/brains process poo poo and it ends up being a boring blur

moreover, it's not necessary - consider the long tracking shots in Children of Men that perfectly convey "poo poo's going down and I have no idea what to do" without needing to cut to the pace of an EDM song's drum beat

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

To its credit (and I am reluctant to defend it because I also hate it) the chaos camera does kinda work as a thematic device for the old expression "everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the head"

but it's just not how our eyes/brains process poo poo and it ends up being a boring blur

moreover, it's not necessary - consider the long tracking shots in Children of Men that perfectly convey "poo poo's going down and I have no idea what to do" without needing to cut to the pace of an EDM song's drum beat

yeah i think that the first bourne it's actually really well applied - franka potente is a normal person, matt damon thinks he's not a normal person but isn't really sure why or what's going on, and suddenyl there's a fight scene and it's way too fast to follow. its almost like it's what potente is seeing - a whole bunch of 'where did that thing he's holding just come from? oh poo poo he just did something else i didnt even see it.' but once damon is established as a badass in the next movies it makes less sense to use and instead the shakiness just gets worse

same reason i'm ok with it in batman begins in the very first warehouse fight - i read the camerawork as what the goons are experiencing - just this sudden hosed up guy fighting you in the dark and you have absolutely no idea what's going on as you're getting pummeled

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

It just reminds me of the advice JJ Abrams gave to Chris Pine when they were filming Star Trek. (wish I could find a clip of this interview, it was great)

Chris Pine's Kirk enters the scene and announces some bad information. Chris Pine asks JJ to tell him what the line actually means, what is going to happen to these characters, what are the stakes here?

JJ says, "Chris, you run in, you say the line loud and fast, and the audience will get that something bad's gonna happen."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I will say that this thread has convinced me to watch some Hong Kong action movies, I'd probably love that poo poo

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

it is illegal to not be watching Hard Boiled

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A Better Tomorrow is lighter on the action than most of what John Woo did after but I have a real soft spot for it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

I will say that this thread has convinced me to watch some Hong Kong action movies, I'd probably love that poo poo

There's a reason they've been adored around the world for decades. Even if you watch an un-subbed one you can still follow the "plot" such as they need to be

it's like the universal appeal of slapstick or opera, the story is just framing for the beautiful/silly things to happen

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wick can't even be mentioned in the same breath as HK action imo

But I'd say that for most action films tbf

there's something to be said for systematically abusing a bunch of kids into becoming insane action talents but it's not something you really wanna repeat

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wick can't even be mentioned in the same breath as HK action imo

But I'd say that for most action films tbf

there's something to be said for systematically abusing a bunch of kids into becoming insane action talents but it's not something you really wanna repeat

The fools... you set up a highly competitive industry and then let the parents do the abusing for you!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

looks like some movie.... enthusiast..... made a list of sub-R-rating movies with nudity, tons of them in the 70s and 80s, a dip in the 90s, and very few since

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls069961819/?sort=release_date,desc&st_dt=&mode=detail&page=1

I absolutely traumatized myself as a young boy by watching some pretty horrific movies on the household's one HBO channel late at night in a desperate attempt to see a titty for a few seconds. I recall 8mm being one of those movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

loquacius posted:

ok you have about 50 classics to catch up on where do you even want to begin

re: HK making, the beginning of the pedicab driver breakdown is insane, because it's just ok, here's a second filmed from one angle. now two seconds. and every single one of them has lighting done for it, so just enormous setup time for each tiny little shot. hollywood just can't 'afford' that for whatever reason