Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Aw. :(

We have a fat one living under the giant pile of miscanthus and privet cuttings I've accumulated over the years in the garden. Should be coming out from hibernation any day now :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
we used to have one in the neighborhood that my mom put out cat food for.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My friend has a hedgehog in her garden in central(ish) Malmö. Hedgehogs rule. Top 5 animal.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Beeswax posted:

Top 5 animal.

In the spirit of fostering a better spirit of discussion in the thread, I think everyone should Post Their List.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
1. Giraffe - majestic, goofy, long blue tongue. Not a predator but also something that can kill you in a single kick if you're unlucky
2. Moose - the Nordic giraffe
3. Bear - the original Big Old Lunk. The very definition of att göra sin egen grej
4. Elephant - one of the iconic greats great but needs to be more discerning about gigs like being the republican party symbol
5. Hedehog - another sin egen grej-görer, only brought down by its propensity for carrying all kinds of icky parasites and stuff

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ScanPol getting in on the listicle content in the year of our gently caress, 2023.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Five: Bears. Fuzzy, cute, adorable
Four: Elephants. Incredibly smart animals
Three: Cows. Big, but cuddly and usually very friendly
Two: Dog family. By that i mean wolves, foxes, dingoes, etc
Number one is of course, cats. Lions, tigers, your average house cat, if anyone says cats aren't the best, they're a cop

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Five: Ants. Ants are cool. I don't really want to be around them, because they have their own... Plans. But who didn't grow up with SimAnt?
Four: Bees. Oprah meme picture here.
Three: Little birds. gently caress you, that's an "animal" category. They make the loveliest songs, I love hearing them.
Two: Doggies. Dogs are great. Just don't abuse them, those dogs can get awful. Be nice to all doggies :unsmith:
One: Cats. This is like the free bingo, right? Cats are absolute assholes, but they're adorable. What's that Pratchett quote, if they looked like frogs, we'd like them a whole lot less?

Honorary shout-outs go to elephants and octopuses for being smarter than we are.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

McCloud posted:

Number one is of course, cats. Lions, tigers, your average house cat, if anyone says cats aren't the best, they're a cop

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/731179989113765909/1074617132802912256/big_baby.mp4

Yeah, checks out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I feel like dolphins deserve a honorary spot for spending all their time playing around in the water.
We've only managed to build a civilization in order to give us a bit of leisure, but think of all the playtime and fun they've had.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I feel like dolphins deserve a honorary spot for spending all their time playing around in the water.
We've only managed to build a civilization in order to give us a bit of leisure, but think of all the playtime and fun they've had.
Now you've done it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

only to the fairest

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dolphins are rapists

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Konec Hry posted:

In the spirit of fostering a better spirit of discussion in the thread, I think everyone should Post Their List.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Crows are cool and smart.

Cats are adorable but also selfish pricks.

Dogs are stupid as poo poo but adorable and often unselfish.

Animals are good. Some of them are also tasty.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Some of them are also tasty.

According to my great great granduncle, badger does not fall into that category.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cats are fine, but there's been a lot of studies done, and they're not very capable of feeling affection.

like from best to worst it's

dog
pig
rat
crow
horse
cat
cow
lizards
most birds except for crows
snakes and fish

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Look at those adorable murdermittens

Crespolini posted:

Cats are fine, but there's been a lot of studies done, and they're not very capable of feeling affection.

I think most people who've owned cats will tell you that this is untrue, cats are extremely capable of affection, they just don't show it the same way dogs do.

Edit: This is going to cause a 20 page derail, won't it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

McCloud posted:

I think most people who've owned cats will tell you that this is untrue, cats are extremely capable of affection, they just don't show it the same way dogs do.
This is just the T. gondii talking.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Ulf must be rock hard that he got to go to Ukraine.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Crespolini posted:

Is this like the scientific study that claimed to show that lots of animals can't pass the mirror test, therefore no animal can and that humans are therefore special animals?

You know that replication all of psychology crisis had? It still does.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
5 duck
4 beef
3 pork (cured)
2 chicken
1 lamb

Honorable mention: oysters, tuna, eggs

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, when you're claiming that "lots of studies have been done", you should probably link them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
maybe you just have bad vibes

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Also, when you're claiming that "lots of studies have been done", you should probably link them.

There's too many to link, unfortunately.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i read the studies and actually they say the opposite

E: more importantly cats, dogs, corvids, cephalopods, rats

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 16, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Crespolini posted:

There's too many to link, unfortunately.

Sounds like sinister canine propaganda to me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rats
Capybaras
Pacaranas
Nutrias
Hedgehogs are cool too

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
5 hägg
4 alm
3 tall
2 ask
1 sälg

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

1. Five
2. Four
3. Three
4. Two
5. One

imho

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Is this like the scientific study that claimed to show that lots of animals can't pass the mirror test, therefore no animal can and that humans are therefore special animals?

Sort of. Cats find it easy to identify large quadruped mammals like cows or horses, and comparatively difficult to recognize a small bipedal mammal like their owners. Basically the smaller and less-legged something becomes, the worse it gets, until you have them unable to tell a cucumber from a snake.

This is why they're so often distant. They're not sure who you are, and sometimes think you're a hatrack. Or so the studies say, ofc.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

anatomi posted:

π. Five
8. Four
V. Three
:respek:. Two
. One

imho

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Crespolini posted:

Sort of. Cats find it easy to identify large quadruped mammals like cows or horses, and comparatively difficult to recognize a small bipedal mammal like their owners. Basically the smaller and less-legged something becomes, the worse it gets, until you have them unable to tell a cucumber from a snake.

This is why they're so often distant. They're not sure who you are, and sometimes think you're a hatrack. Or so the studies say, ofc.

Cite the studies please! I am curious about why my cat thought I were a hatrack, that sounds like a novel.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Guess my cats are weird because they’re super affectionate, and two of them, their mom was as well. Same with their sister.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I regret to inform you that your cats were in fact three crows in a trenchcoat.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I regret to inform you that your cats were in fact three crows in a trenchcoat.

That's way better!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I find the results questionable based on what I am reading. Like cats have an excellent sense of smell and dogs have even poorer vision than cats but rely on their sense of smell to identify people instead of purely visually like humans. So why assume cats don't? It's like it assumes cats using visual ID soley like a human.

I also own what appear to be two very affectionate cats ATM.

Years ago I used to have one cat who could ID my car, when I came driving up to the house from work he'd recognize my car as I turned ff the road and drove up the property. He'd run towards the car and turn and run next to the car (had a hectare sized property then) and be waiting outside the car door when I stopped, meowing at me and jumping into the car. Other cars than my run down lovely Opel would not get the same treatment.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

I find the results questionable based on what I am reading. Like cats have an excellent sense of smell and dogs have even poorer vision than cats but rely on their sense of smell to identify people instead of purely visually like humans. So why assume cats don't? It's like it assumes cats using visual ID soley like a human.

I also own what appear to be two very affectionate cats ATM.

This is my own supposition, but it'd seem like the ideal shape would be a gigantic spider, looking at it from the perspective of a cat. I agree that there has to be a component beyond just visual ID (you obviously don't have eight legs), so perhaps they just find your mannerisms to be pleasingly spider-like?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Crespolini posted:

This is my own supposition, but it'd seem like the ideal shape would be a gigantic spider, looking at it from the perspective of a cat. I agree that there has to be a component beyond just visual ID (you obviously don't have eight legs), so perhaps they just find your mannerisms to be pleasingly spider-like?

As a goth, despite the lack of evidence, I am inclined to fully agree. I am a big spider lady and I love my affectionate callous cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Our three cats used to recognize the sounds of our shoes as we walked up to our apartment, and wait by the door to greet us with chirps and purrs. It wasn't a food thing, 'cause their bowls were always full. They liked to sleep with their heads nestled beneath your chin. I miss them terribly.