Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lemniscate Blue posted:

John M. Ford's The Final Reflection is great and it's the version of Klingons that I wish had been canonical post-TOS.

I've heard good things about Diane Duane's "Rihannsu" series but I haven't read them yet. Her Spock's World is good.

Seconding Andrew Robinson's A Stitch in Time as well.

Seconding all of these and adding How Much For Just The Planet also by Ford for being the funniest Star Trek has ever been. All of Diane Duane's stuff is good, including her non-Trek stuff, especially the cat Wizards series which is way better than it should be based on the premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There was a Voyager book where they happened upon a star cluster with two warring races that had used all their metal to build enormous warships to the point their planets were 'postindustrial' owing to cannibalizing all their stuff to make more ships. They were having some centuries long battle because their guns were godawful. Naturally Voyager kramered into the situation and got people abducted.

The concept blew my mind the first time I read it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I also kind of lowkey love how The Rise of Skywalker is just a canonized Jedi Prince book. Emperor Palpatine's grandchild goes on a whirlwind fetch quest to find various Things You Might Remember from Star Wars with the help of Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie and the Droids and has to stay one step ahead of a gormless dork who wants to be Darth Vader and his accompanying Mofference.

It's loving great :allears:
I appreciate they even copied going to the waterlogged ruins of the death star to retrieve an artifact, even if it wasn't The Glove Of Darth Vader

but they chickened out of naming her dad 'triclops', and the villain didn't get his heart lasered out by a robot clone of leia at their wedding, so zero points on that

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 15, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arivia posted:

if you want to read the most insane batshit fanfiction branded things ever, read the novels William Shatner "wrote" with the Reeves-Stevens. They're in their own canon, called the "Shatnerverse" and it's just absurd all the stuff that goes on. Plenty of fun toys getting smashed together.

Shatner making Shatner the greatest person in the galaxy will always be great fanfiction but the greatest official Trek fanfiction will always be Peter David’s New Frontier series. Everyone is a dry humor quipping badass ranging from a “just that good” not-human captain, to a basically invincible rock monster who will literally tear people apart if they get in his way, to an actual son of a god who is so good at navigating he is allowed to fall asleep on the bridge because he can instantly tell if the ship has minutely changed course and snap awake immediately.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tunicate posted:

I appreciate they even copied going to the waterlogged ruins of the death star to retrieve an artifact, even if it wasn't The Glove Of Darth Vader

but they chickened out of naming her dad 'triclops', and the villain didn't get his heart lasered out by a robot clone of leia at their wedding, so zero points on that
I understand nobody, at any point, was bid DARK GREETINGS so gently caress 'em

Kibayasu posted:

Shatner making Shatner the greatest person in the galaxy will always be great fanfiction but the greatest official Trek fanfiction will always be Peter David’s New Frontier series. Everyone is a dry humor quipping badass ranging from a “just that good” not-human captain, to a basically invincible rock monster who will literally tear people apart if they get in his way, to an actual son of a god who is so good at navigating he is allowed to fall asleep on the bridge because he can instantly tell if the ship has minutely changed course and snap awake immediately.
Oh, he had a Horta crew member too?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Nah, his rock person was Brikar - who would eventually be made canon in Prodigy as Rok's species.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I have extreme sunk cost fallacy with regards to any Star Trek series, so I will be there for John Luck Pickerd: The Show: 3.0 tomorrow night/Thursday morning.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

Nah, his rock person was Brikar - who would eventually be made canon in Prodigy as Rok's species.
hosed up, the Horta are literally right there. Granted that it's neat to have multiple such organisms. I would have just started stealing Star Control races, but in general, Star Control is a good thing to rip off

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

hosed up, the Horta are literally right there. Granted that it's neat to have multiple such organisms. I would have just started stealing Star Control races, but in general, Star Control is a good thing to rip off

you'd think it, but SC3 and SC0 prove that wrong

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nessus posted:

I think it was another novel but a Horta might have made an appearance in one of the New Frontier books. It gets dropped off in the atmosphere of a planet from a diplomatic shuttle so it can be “disguised” as a meteor and make it to the surface undetected. It eventually eats its way under the surface to the capital city and emerges in the government building during a kangaroo court for several of the main characters. It proceeds to crush many security guards to death (because it got super huge from eating many tons of rocks) and everyone escapes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kibayasu posted:

I think it was another novel but a Horta might have made an appearance in one of the New Frontier books. It gets dropped off in the atmosphere of a planet from a diplomatic shuttle so it can be “disguised” as a meteor and make it to the surface undetected. It eventually eats its way under the surface to the capital city and emerges in the government building during a kangaroo court for several of the main characters. It proceeds to crush many security guards to death (because it got super huge from eating many tons of rocks) and everyone escapes.

The above-mentioned Diane Duane had a recurring character on the Enterprise crew who was a Horta. I remember Kirk thinking it was useful to have a tech aboard who could literally taste certain kinds of problems with the ship's systems, and plus when he was working on the captain's chair it was nice and warm when he was done.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The Horta Diane Duane created even started showing up in the 80's DC comic book run written by Peter David.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Another Diane Duane book had a dolphin crew member on the Enterprise-D, she liked the weirder crew. Good on her.

Honestly, my biggest disappointment with Lower Decks has been not seeing a Starfleet Horta spray-painted with a uniform yet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What they should do is get Duane to write an episode of Lower Decks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

According to Memory Alpha there's been quite a few Horta in the books. In addition to Duane

quote:

Devil's Bargain has them cooperating with the Federation mining colony Vesbius to de-stabilize an asteroid headed for the planet so the Enterprise can safely destroy what is left of it. Some of the Horta ask for Kirk's recommendation to Starfleet Academy. The book also suggests that Horta can live in the vacuum of space for a short period of time.

The novel Articles of the Federation, by Keith R.A. DeCandido, has the Horta as members of the Federation as of 2380 and are represented by one Councilor Sanaht (β). Further appearances include the Greg Cox and John Gregory Betancourt's DS9 novel, Devil in the Sky. Hortas were also mentioned in The Lost Years.

In the Pocket TNG novel Dyson Sphere, it is revealed that Starfleet has starships crewed entirely by Horta. These ships are of standard design, with nearly all amenities removed, and are filled with solid stone, which the Horta can reshape as they see fit.

The series of Star Trek: Titan novels also has a male Horta character, Chwolkk (β), who serves as an engineer on the USS Titan.

I guess writers just like 'em.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like how photos have established that everyone now has a cool leather version of their uniform that I'm sure is for away teams or something but is really just when they want to look cool.

I guess they're all high rank now so they all get to wear one of these

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 15, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

That was in The Romulan Way, that dude saved McCoy. The Romulans shot him with their honorable and noble disruptors which didn't do jack nor poo poo because he was a giant living rock.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

I like how photos have established that everyone now has a cool leather version of their uniform that I'm sure is for away teams or something but is really just when they want to look cool.

God I really hate all the new uniforms. They look like bootleg versions of the already-lovely Voyager/early DS9 unis.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Kibayasu posted:

Don’t forget Excalibur’s chief medical officer, Dr Selar, whose traumatic backstory is that she accidentally hosed a dude to death during pon farr.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

God I really hate all the new uniforms. They look like bootleg versions of the already-lovely Voyager/early DS9 unis.

I actually quite like the season 3 ones, they finally figured out something decent after loving around with awful ones for a few years. Not sure about Geordi's flag version, but the regular version his kid's wearing is nice. (Flag unis were always a bit weird anyway)

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fornax Disaster posted:

Don’t forget Excalibur’s chief medical officer, Dr Selar, whose traumatic backstory is that she accidentally hosed a dude to death during pon farr.

mother fucker I m having flash backs to that big bang actor on some show saying pon farr is klingon for sex

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They all look like they belong in a FPS or Marvel movie to me.

lol @ geordi's biker jacket having a zipper

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Soon to be gamblebox exclusive cosmetics in STO!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm amused that the commbadge with the asymmetrical split background that used to mean "something's gone fucky-wucky here" is now just the normal commbadge.

Every time Riker steps into a room with a bunch of these staring at him he's gotta have an anxiety spike.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

I'm amused that the commbadge with the asymmetrical split background that used to mean "something's gone fucky-wucky here" is now just the normal commbadge.

Every time Riker steps into a room with a bunch of these staring at him he's gotta have an anxiety spike.

Riker: THE FEDERATION'S GONE THE BORG ARE EVERYWHERE!

Troi: Will... chill out, God. I can't take you anywhere.

Riker: Shut up! As in, close your mouth and stop talking!

Troi: (Should've listened to my mother)

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
No you see, this is a subtle hint from the costuming department that something is fucky-wucky. The entire show is a dark alternate future.

pleaseletmehavethis

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It is actually a dark future.

Ours, I mean. 2023. Trek is just a sad byproduct of that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Are there any actually good Star Trek novels or are they all pretty much trash. Also how hard is to get a hold of them.

Dark Mirror and Q-squared

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

Soon to be gamblebox exclusive cosmetics in STO!

I dunno, STO usually gave away the uniforms for free when a show premiered (at least, they did for the 2250s DSC and 2390s PIC uniforms. Still waiting on the Lower Decks uniforms...)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
It's been years since I read them, but TOS novels "The Lost Years" and "The Joy Machine" are pretty good. The latter was going to be the next episode after Turnabout Intruder, but TOS was canceled before it went into production.

To be fair, the plot is very TOS season 3, but I think the premise is pretty interesting.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's been years since I read them, but TOS novels "The Lost Years" and "The Joy Machine" are pretty good. The latter was going to be the next episode after Turnabout Intruder, but TOS was canceled before it went into production.

To be fair, the plot is very TOS season 3, but I think the premise is pretty interesting.
Wasn't 'The Joy Machine' the one that Shatner was going to direct?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

Payndz posted:

Wasn't 'The Joy Machine' the one that Shatner was going to direct?

I think so.

In fact, I remember reading, maybe on Memory Alpha, that Shatner was informed that the show was being canceled and he wouldn't be able to direct during the filming of Turnabout Intruder.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Fornax Disaster posted:

There are worse ways to go

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fornax Disaster posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They nailed it with the Season 2 uniforms. But as par for the course for Picard, they're on screen for about 45 seconds out of 10 hours and then wiped away in favour of this new poo poo because every new season needs to completely erase the previous one. So we've now had three new Starfleet uniform designs on this show alone, four if you include the Season 1 flashback ones, and five if you include hallucination Maurice's mishmash uniform.

It's Picard in a nut shell: busy, unfocused, and consistently inconsistent.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Are there any actually good Star Trek novels or are they all pretty much trash. Also how hard is to get a hold of them.

Basically anything Diane Duane wrote, Q-Squared, the Vanguard miniseries, the TOS Mere Anarchy novellas and the DS9 relaunch novels (from "A Stitch in Time" and "Avatar" until it stops keeping your interest, but "The Never-Ending Sacrifice" at the end is quite good, as is everything else Una McCormick wrote about Cardassians) are the ones I generally think almost all Trek fans will find more to like than to dislike.

If you want something more consequential, reading the Destiny trilogy, the follow-ups A Singular Destiny and TNG's Losing the Peace, and then the Typhon Pact miniseries will get you a pretty good slice of a big-deal period of time in the novel continuity, without really punishing you much for not reading before it nor making you feel like you need to keep going after it.

As for how hard they are to find, they're old enough now that I doubt you'll have much luck with bookstores. Libraries should have a bunch, especially through interlibrary loan. Secondhand shops and Amazon used, maybe. I suspect most people who read them these days do so via :filez:, but I'd suggest the other options.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My problem with the new uniforms is just like the rest of the loving show, they're too dark. The Prodigy uniforms are the best, followed by Lower Decks because they remembered Federation uniforms should be colorful drat it. The black with just the shoulders as division color looks awful and not Star Treky.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Eimi posted:

The black with just the shoulders as division color looks awful and not Star Treky.

The First Contact uniforms were black and gray, with the division colors at the turtleneck and colored bands at the sleeve cuffs. There's nothing wrong with those uniforms at all.

nine-gear crow posted:

So we've now had three new Starfleet uniform designs on this show alone, four if you include the Season 1 flashback ones

I know the late 2380s (Season 1 flashback) and 2390s (Season 1 proper) uniforms, but what's the difference between the Season 2 and 3 uniforms? (I honest to God don't remember what the PIC Season 2 uniform looks like.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Snorb posted:

The First Contact uniforms were black and gray, with the division colors at the turtleneck and colored bands at the sleeve cuffs. There's nothing wrong with those uniforms at all.

I know the late 2380s (Season 1 flashback) and 2390s (Season 1 proper) uniforms, but what's the difference between the Season 2 and 3 uniforms? (I honest to God don't remember what the PIC Season 2 uniform looks like.)

They are decent but if they were black turtleneck, grey shoulders, and division color shirt I'd prefer them more. Like the black just feels off to me, makes Starfleet look too military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You really get the contrast on LD when they encounter another Starfleet ship or Mariner flashes back to working on the Titan. I like the FC unis myself but honestly the ENT uniforms are probably the most "realistic" and I'd like to see a 24th c. version of those. I'm sure in universe, TNG uniforms are made of incredible cyberwool or whatever that is perfect for a night on the town or the siege of AR-588, but they don't look comfortable or good for working in. TOS and the movies did a better job of putting coveralls on guys with hands-on jobs.