Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

a depressed clown with giant eye bags walks onto the stage.

"sigh...."

*honks nose*

"Russia is Doomed"

*crowd bursts into laughter and applause*

*with a blank thousand yard stare, the clown walks off stage to his room, bottles of gin and used cigarettes piled high*

man walks into doctor's office and says he is depressed, posting brings no joy anymore. "doctor," he says "the russians seem to be winning and i'm running out of pro-ukraine memes"

doctor answers "treatment is simple, great doomposter al-saqr is in thread tonight. read his posts and you'll be convinced that putin is finished"

man bursts into tears and says "but doctor, i am al-saqr"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just found this weird monograph, published last month

Foreign Fighters in Ukraine: The Brown–Red Cocktail

Foreign Fighters in Ukraine is the first comprehensive academic study taking an in-depth look at foreigners who have chosen to fight in the conflict in Ukraine.

While there has been considerable focus in policy, security and academic circles on the threat from returning jihadists – so-called returnee foreign terrorist fighters – the same danger from right-wing, but not essentially terrorist, extremists and others has been largely overlooked. As Westerners rushed to join the nascent Caliphate in Syria/Iraq, others simultaneously traveled to another foreign war on what many would call Europe’s doorstep: the Russo-Ukrainian war. This book unmasks this largely unknown group of fighters as the author dives into the fighters’ ideological and social backgrounds, their motivations for joining the conflict, their travails on the way there and their battle record in Eastern Ukraine. To a large extent based on interviews with the fighters themselves, it is a study on how and why men risk their lives while fighting a foreign war – and attract the attention of security services at home upon their return. Particularly, given the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 and the growing interest in far-right violence worldwide, the book evaluates whether these returnees constitute another security threat to the West.

This volume will be of interest to all those researching small wars, terrorism, peace and conflict studies and right-wing extremism.

but I’ll keep looking for a summary. The gist of it, if I remember, is that the volunteers with the Croats got very little attention compared to the Bosnians and Serbs because they were western European. Specifically Belgian and Dutch, though no idea why off the top of my head.

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Cerebral Bore posted:

man walks into doctor's office and says he is depressed, posting brings no joy anymore. "doctor," he says "the russians seem to be winning and i'm running out of pro-ukraine memes"

doctor answers "treatment is simple, great doomposter al-saqr is in thread tonight. read his posts and you'll be convinced that putin is finished"

lmao

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

"sigh...."

*honks nose*

"Russia is Doomed"

*with a blank thousand yard stare, the clown walks off stage to his room, bottles of gin and used cigarettes piled high*

lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Orange Devil posted:

I don't have access :(

libgen aint just for libs

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Osprey volumes on the Yugoslav wars, iirc, have illustrations of Belgians and Dutch too, which is p funny (if true)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

The Osprey volumes on the Yugoslav wars, iirc, have illustrations of Belgians and Dutch too, which is p funny (if true)

How accurately rendered are the mysterious puddles under them?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I'm getting real loving curious exactly which types went over there and what they ended up doing when they came back here.

Starting to have a suspicion I now know exactly why the Dutch underworld is and has been awash in ex-Yugo, and specifically Croatian, weapons for decades though.

For example the anti-tank weapon a biker gang fired at a court house a while back.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

I'm getting real loving curious exactly which types went over there and what they ended up doing when they came back here.

Starting to have a suspicion I now know exactly why the Dutch underworld is and has been awash in ex-Yugo, and specifically Croatian, weapons for decades though.

For example the anti-tank weapon a biker gang fired at a court house a while back.

It's so weird how this keeps happening!

I would check libgen if you don't have JSTOR access because this is very much a thing. Books on ISIS foreign fighters usually bring it up in the introductory chapter, for example. I see that foreign fighters were in the "ZNG, HV and HOS", whatever those were. That might be a start.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Love how our big beautiful media never mentioned any of this in their thousands of articles they put out about ISIS fighters, and continue to put out about them. Read an article about a Dutch woman being prosecuted for slavery for holding a Yezidi woman as a slave in Raqqa just today. So like, this is an ongoing topic. And yet the most historical context I ever saw it placed in was very, very brief mention of foreign volunteers in the Spanish Civil War.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Love how our big beautiful media never mentioned any of this in their thousands of articles they put out about ISIS fighters, and continue to put out about them. Read an article about a Dutch woman being prosecuted for slavery for holding a Yezidi woman as a slave in Raqqa just today. So like, this is an ongoing topic. And yet the most historical context I ever saw it placed in was very, very brief mention of foreign volunteers in the Spanish Civil War.

There were quite a few articles in 2015, but hardly any after: Paris attacks: Belgium’s arms bazaar. Black market in guns has made the country an operational centre for jihadis, but officials are cracking down, Balkan arms find buyers in Western Europe, Gun Control in Belgium: How easy is it to get hold of a gun in Brussels?, Running guns to the heart of Europe: 'Need a Kalashnikov in Belgium? No problem'. Graft, gangs make Balkans rich mine of illicit weapons; Cold War-era Kalashnikovs prized by gangsters, now by jihadists.

"In Brussels, you can buy a military-grade weapon for 500 to 1000 euros ($530 to $1060) within 30 minutes, Bilal Benyaich, expert on Islamist radicalism at the Itinera Institute told Reuters."

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they hsould jsut let him run for president

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

I don't have access :(

check this poo poo out OP

https://sci-hub.st/

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

check this poo poo out OP

https://sci-hub.st/

it has em both. alexandra is based as hell

https://sci-hub.st/about
https://sci-hub.st/alexandra

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hmm, Making Sense of War Memories: An Analysis of Dutch Veteran Return Trips to Former Yugoslavia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ofq8fd9rMQ

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah I know there's been weapons about the guns, and them coming from the Yugoslav wars, but I never read a word that I can recall about the connection with Dutch volunteers for said wars.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I just read an article about the training of Ukrainians in the UK by instructors from 9 countries, including NL, Australia and New Zealand and I have some thoughts and questions.

Ukrainians receive a 35 day crash course, after which they are shipped back to Ukraine. The article claims they might receive some further training for a specific role there, but it's off the front after that. 10.000 Ukrainians were trained in this way last year in the UK. The aim is to train 20.000 this year. The EU furthermore intends to train another 30.000 Ukrainians in the EU this year. From the article, training starts with the very basics and "survivability" like how to safely operate a gun, giving basic first aid etc. but a lot of the specifics in the article mention practicing over and over how to assault a Russian trench (the UK forces made a copy of a Russian trench) and how to assault a building in urban combat. Didn't read anything about defending a Ukrainian trench. Or how to deal with being shelled by artillery. So first thought, why the gently caress are we expecting civilians with 35 days of training to go on the offensive against Russian trenches, exactly?

All the instructors understandably get a great deal of sympathy for the Ukrainians they are training, and mention seeing it as them fighting "for us". Now these are civilian draftees mostly, so I don't know about the ideology there, but has anyone in the West even considered the possibility that Ukrainian fascist ideology will (further) infect our own armed forces this way?

Speaking of, the article claims 90% of the Ukrainians being trained are not there voluntarily, aka, they've been drafted. Now, I understand that if your own country drafts you and puts you in a training camp and then ships you off to the front, if you desert and get caught you'll likely get summarily shot. But ehhh, how the gently caress does this work if you get sent off to train in an ostensibly neutral country? When they get off the bus ("in their civilian clothes", the article mentions) couldn't they just straight nope out and apply for asylum? Sure, I understand that our governments are all-in for Ukraine, but I'm asking legally here. Our instructors wouldn't have a leg to stand on trying to force these foreign draftees through their training course would they? And if they let the Ukrainian translators/officials (all women apparently) force them they'd be condoning assault or whatever right?

Edit:
Also, since different countries are training them, doesn't this necessarely cause a disconnect between what is actually happening and necessary at the front line from the training content? Like, there doesn't appear to be a mechanism for the Ukrainian military or veterans or whatever to go "hey, stop teaching them this useless poo poo, teach them this poo poo which we learned through will help keep you alive against the actually existing Russian army in 2023 instead?". Like, I don't know how militaries at war normally deal with this, but this kind of feedback mechanism seems like it'd be good to have, and also can't exist here?

Do appreciate the poetry of the UK using a barracks and training ground constructed during WW1 to once again prepare 10s of thousands of men to become meat for the grinder.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Feb 15, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

"sigh...."

*honks nose*

"Russia is Doomed"

Cerebral Bore posted:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, from what I have heard they are put on a bus and not allowed off base. Also, that level of training isn’t going to be enough to allow them to survive concentrated fire, I assume they are being trained to take trenches for the big southern offensive.

It is also why Ukraine is putting so much in Vuhledar and there is so much chatter about it since it is the lynchpin for trying to stay in the war.

To be clear, there is still a supply of troops for Ukraine but pretty much untrained civilians aren’t going to be able to replace pre-war soldiers or even graybeard reservists.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOKG3m8Z_Rg

Memory of better times tbh.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

so wait are we still talking about Uglydar or are we now onto a different Dar.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1624385063155539969

wild

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1625901567361658881
any guesses on the big russian PR push around the 21st? im evenly split between declaring war and declaring mission accomplished.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How the gently caress would the head of a mercenary group get anywhere near head of the army? They're disposable mooks.

Sounds like nonsense.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://twitter.com/OsintTV/status/1625874008766906372

The balloon menace continues to grow

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

:cb: + Pennywise giving out balloons.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How the gently caress would the head of a mercenary group get anywhere near head of the army? They're disposable mooks.

Sounds like nonsense.

at best they'll be the third to last boss before a senator or somethin

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

tbf russia would probably have a more effective army if surovkin and Kadyrov were running it but then again lrussia will shoot its own foot rather than put military victory over political cronyism.

it would be pretty funny if putin decided to launch another offense three days before the anniversary and get stuck in the mud again

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://t.me/rybar/43637

Russian forces have physically reached and crossed the northern highway near Bakhmut.

Paraskoviivka is at risk of encirclement as Russian forces push on Berkhivka to its southwest.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

OhFunny posted:

https://t.me/rybar/43637

Russian forces have physically reached and crossed the northern highway near Bakhmut.

Paraskoviivka is at risk of encirclement as Russian forces push on Berkhivka to its southwest.

its crazy how ukraine is still shoveling men into that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How are you this credible? Do you have a head injury of some kind?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

its crazy how ukraine is still shoveling men into that

are they? i thought they were retreating and blowing up bridges behind them. saw someone mention there's 5k troops in there tops but who knows

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

tbf russia would probably have a more effective army if surovkin and Kadyrov were running it but then again lrussia will shoot its own foot rather than put military victory over political cronyism.

it would be pretty funny if putin decided to launch another offense three days before the anniversary and get stuck in the mud again

Kadyrov is not a particular competent guy lmao, he's just good at running a weird place like Chechnya

Surovikin being "demoted" is one of the comical misunderstandings that Ukraine-watchers have developed because they have such an incestuous and credulous info cycle.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah it's nuts that anyone would believe some made up bullshit like that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1625901567361658881
any guesses on the big russian PR push around the 21st? im evenly split between declaring war and declaring mission accomplished.

it's going to be neither.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1625920247680184324?t=-KRdK5zXj6zggqoeZ7ggXg&s=19

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Russian balloon detected!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kirov airship reporting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i refuse to believe this is real no way.