Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
The inside lock on one of our doors suddenly won't turn. Don't think there's anything in the lock, the key goes in fine. The outside portion turns no problem. It's a fairly new lock, 2-3 years old. I tried a little bit of WD-40, no effect. Haven't taken the plate off yet, is there something simple I can try before calling a locksmith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I believe rosewood is technically the classic but has been long discontinued because reasons.

I bought two knock offs (about $650 ea), a both black walnut with black leather, they've been great. One was for our living room, one was for my mother in laws house because she has a hobby of buying deeply uncomfortable couches. 2019 and 2020 I believe.

Anyways, they are both perfect copies, visually speaking at least. I even measured all the things and checked all the angles because I read all the articles about that stuff. The one at my house, I think I'm gonna have to pull it apart, a couple of bolts have begun backing out in areas not user serviceable. Unsure if this was related to our most recent move. The one at my MIL house has become the de-facto TV watching chair and gets 8+ hours of use a day, no issues. Someone did cross thread one of the feet in the footstool though

Also side note, the eames lounge chair needs... About 30% more floor space than you think it does. There is furniture designed for tight floorplans, and furniture that seems to occupy more space than strictly necessary, this is the latter.

When I take apart mine I'm thinking about getting it reupholstered in a cream jumbo corduroy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

LloydDobler posted:

If it's tight at the top and bottom my gut says something's goofy with the middle hinge. Try taking it off and see if the door closes right with just top and bottom. (assuming it has 3 hinges). I've bought hinges where it's the same spec but for some dumb reason the distance from the edge to the pivot is 1/8" different from another one, and had to mix and match to make sure they were all the same.

There are only two hinges but yes I am pretty sure this is the problem. I haven't had time to troubleshoot this yet but I think I need to move the hinges on the frame side 1/8", maybe 1/16", away from the jamb, or move them slightly to the left in this photo:

It just needs the slightest extra amount of space to clear the jamb as it's closing. At least, this is the only thing making sense me when I am trying to visualize the mechanics of it all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

I believe rosewood is technically the classic but has been long discontinued because reasons.

Probably because it's a topical wood and tropical wood harvesting is a huge problem for deforestation. Lots of illegal logging, lots of lovely practices.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's a deep topic

Not rosewood specifically but mildly interesting

Apparently Belize used to be British Honduras because they only wanted the land to mine out all the old growth mahogany in the dense forests there. Old growth mahogany is absolutely gorgeous stuff. Bay Area* classic S/V Mayan is mostly made of old growth Belize mahogany and was one of the last boats made from the stuff as they had pretty much mined it all out by the 1930s. As soon as the mahogany ran out the British left not long after

*Typically in Santa Cruz but there's in the bay area couple times a year https://medium.com/schoonermayan/mayans-history-the-david-crosby-years-517d8c0cb389

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 15, 2023

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Struensee posted:

The inside lock on one of our doors suddenly won't turn. Don't think there's anything in the lock, the key goes in fine. The outside portion turns no problem. It's a fairly new lock, 2-3 years old. I tried a little bit of WD-40, no effect. Haven't taken the plate off yet, is there something simple I can try before calling a locksmith?
Besides taking stuff apart and putting it back together?

Key holes take graphite for smoothing the action, It is considered best.

The rest you could try silicone spray or white lithium spray or grease on any moving parts, but it's hard to get that on the internals properly without taking everything apart.

Inspect and clean first, then lube generously with something besides wd-40
wd-40 is not a lube, though it will act like one for up to a month or so.

I generally silicone spray all my door hardware and where my windows ride at least once a year, maybe even twice.

Hinges, latches, deadbolts, anything that moves.

You don't have to take it apart to do this, but if it's not working that may be your first step if just lube doesn't work.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 15, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp, the control for the baseboard heater in my son's room is hanging partway out of the wall. Call into electrician to come price a replacement. The thing doesn't have a hard "off", only "low" or "high", and is decades old in any case.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

You don't have to take it apart to do this, but if it's not working that may be your first step if just lube doesn't work.

Didn't see the post before I came home, won't have a chance to stop by the hardware store until Friday. I took the lock out, the side that isn't working will work if I have it upside down (pins up). Any idea what causes this?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Welp, the control for the baseboard heater in my son's room is hanging partway out of the wall. Call into electrician to come price a replacement. The thing doesn't have a hard "off", only "low" or "high", and is decades old in any case.

Yay, single pole baseboard thermostats! They're generally fairly easy to replace with a double pole, unless your house wiring is ancient (like, it truly loops and you don't have a neutral line behind the thermostat - in which case you've got bigger problems like knob and tube...) If you want a decent wifi control, I'd recommend Mysa (what I replaced a whole bunch of old SP thermostats with).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sirotan posted:

There are only two hinges but yes I am pretty sure this is the problem. I haven't had time to troubleshoot this yet but I think I need to move the hinges on the frame side 1/8", maybe 1/16", away from the jamb, or move them slightly to the left in this photo:

It just needs the slightest extra amount of space to clear the jamb as it's closing. At least, this is the only thing making sense me when I am trying to visualize the mechanics of it all.

The bummer there is that moving a hinge in that direction is tough, because the screws will find the same holes and try to pull it back to the same place. You'd have to ask the more expert woodworking guys here about the best way to fill the holes and redrill them in a slightly different location.

Your other choice is to move the trim it closes against, but that would require repainting and all that.

looks like the hinge is sunk pretty far in to the door, maybe MORE shims are in order? Get the hinge plate flush or above flush with the edge of the door?

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 15, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

LloydDobler posted:

The bummer there is that moving a hinge in that direction is tough, because the screws will find the same holes and try to pull it back to the same place. You'd have to ask the more expert woodworking guys here about the best way to fill the holes and redrill them in a slightly different location.

Your other choice is to move the trim it closes against, but that would require repainting and all that.

Do you still have the old hinges? are the holes in exactly the same place or are they off 1/16? Maybe hang it on the old hinges as a test and see if that fixes it. If so something's slightly off with your new hinges.

Don't worry, I have already acquired the necessary tools for this job:

I do have the old hinges in a bucket in the basement, I will probably reinstall them just as a sanity check before screwing around with moving the screw holes. It will definitely be an annoying fix though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You caught that before I edited it back out. I thought about it and unless the holes are different from one side of the hinge to the other, they shouldn't make a difference. Even if the holes are not in the same place hinge to hinge they'll still put the door in the same relative position to the frame, I think.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

LloydDobler posted:

You caught that before I edited it back out. I thought about it and unless the holes are different from one side of the hinge to the other, they shouldn't make a difference. Even if the holes are not in the same place hinge to hinge they'll still put the door in the same relative position to the frame, I think.

The problem is not the hole position, it is the hinge length I believe. If the length of the hinge was slightly longer (i.e. the pivot point was slightly farther away from the jamb) it would clear that wood stop. Since I cannot enlarge the hinge I will have to move the holes.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sirotan posted:

The problem is not the hole position, it is the hinge length I believe. If the length of the hinge was slightly longer (i.e. the pivot point was slightly farther away from the jamb) it would clear that wood stop. Since I cannot enlarge the hinge I will have to move the holes.

I'm not sure it would. Because even if the hinge point was farther away on the jamb, it's just as far away on the door. So the door theoretically is still in the same place when closed. The only way it's not is if there's some other factor, like maybe the hinge fits in the door differently, moving it slightly.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Struensee posted:

Didn't see the post before I came home, won't have a chance to stop by the hardware store until Friday. I took the lock out, the side that isn't working will work if I have it upside down (pins up). Any idea what causes this?
They are all kinda different so not really. I've only messed with lock cylinders from Renewal by Andersen and provia doors, but it's been 7 years since I did that. (I don't even remember what brand those were)

Configure it so it moves and experiment or Google, sorry, the key going in upside down wouldn't be a problem.

There are usually like 3 adjustments and a few things you can flip, but if messing around with it doesn't make it work (or lube) it may be time for a new one.

I assume you are wanting it keyed the same as your other doors with the locksmith.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

LloydDobler posted:

I'm not sure it would. Because even if the hinge point was farther away on the jamb, it's just as far away on the door. So the door theoretically is still in the same place when closed. The only way it's not is if there's some other factor, like maybe the hinge fits in the door differently, moving it slightly.

I think we're probably talking past each other at this point but the door being farther back on the jamb is the intention here. If it's 1/8" or maybe even 1/16" farther back in the frame it will clear the wood stop that it is rubbing on.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sirotan posted:

Don't worry, I have already acquired the necessary tools for this job:

I do have the old hinges in a bucket in the basement, I will probably reinstall them just as a sanity check before screwing around with moving the screw holes. It will definitely be an annoying fix though.

LOL, this guy gets it. I've switched to 1/4" dowels. I have a dowel in the garage that gets circumsized for every new project.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Some high dollar doors can come with 4 way adjustable hinges. There are 4 Allan key heads and you can adjust (per hinge) height, yaw, pitch, and gap or something like that.

They were awesome, you just get the door as close as you can and make it up in the hinge.

Years later or with the weather if stuff changes you micro adjust.

Like I said in way too many words earlier, after you level it the best you can, I just read the gap around the door/window to fine tune.

Sometimes you can fix a problem like that by just loosening one hinge sides screws 1/4 turn.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
this is all the chair needed, you overpriced chair hipsters. :colbert:

those colors are on the way back (again) too!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Keyser_Soze posted:

this is all the chair needed, you overpriced chair hipsters. :colbert:

those colors are on the way back (again) too!

(I've never seen an episode of Frasier so this might be the The Joke, but... is that also an Eames in the picture???)

For all I know the premise of the episode is Frasier's friends think he's an overpriced chair hipster and they replace his Eames with a swanky recliner

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You should be permabanned for not knowing the Fraiser lore.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

(I've never seen an episode of Frasier so this might be the The Joke, but... is that also an Eames in the picture???)

For all I know the premise of the episode is Frasier's friends think he's an overpriced chair hipster and they replace his Eames with a swanky recliner

Jesus Christ

Also there's an interior design thread floating around that might get more answers than the general house thread

marjorie
May 4, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't know that that's exactly The Joke, but it is a theme of the show and thus related to the general joke premise. Frasier (middle left) likes swanky things and his dad (far left) likes regular things. Frasier's dad had to move into Frasier's fancy condo and brought his ugly-but-comfortable recliner, much to Frasier's distaste (I think the picture is from an episode where Frasier gets rid of it, but then brings it back to make his dad happy; the still looks to be the reveal that it's returned...or else it's when the chair first arrived). E: actually, it's been awhile since I watched it and maybe this is when Frasier got him a new but different recliner? And there was some sitcom-y drama from that. It doesn't matter. Why am I still writing.

Anyway, here's the interior design thread.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 16, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

brugroffil posted:

Jesus Christ

Also there's an interior design thread floating around that might get more answers than the general house thread

That thread is unfortunately a nightmare. It's one user's playground to post a 'word of the day' followed by several dozen images from zillow listings

EDIT apparently that was the interior design chat thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955939&pagenumber=86#lastpost. The Q&A thread looks far more navigable

I figure this thread and subforum is the perfect locus of 'people who know how to match wood tones/fabrics' and 'being able to talk high end furniture without guillotine emojis'

marjorie posted:

I don't know that that's exactly The Joke, but it is a theme of the show and thus related to the general joke premise. Frasier (middle left) likes swanky things and his dad (far left) likes regular things. Frasier's dad had to move into Frasier's fancy condo and brought his ugly-but-comfortable recliner, much to Frasier's distaste (I think the picture is from an episode where Frasier gets rid of it, but then brings it back to make his dad happy; the still looks to be the reveal that it's returned...or else it's when the chair first arrived).

I appreciate this! Out of curiosity, how did the Eames factor in to the episode? If at all. One of the things I love about it is how it disappears into a room, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Eames is just the chair-in-the-background rather than a part of the chair plot

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 16, 2023

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

marjorie posted:

I don't know that that's exactly The Joke, but it is a theme of the show and thus related to the general joke premise. Frasier (middle left) likes swanky things and his dad (far left) likes regular things. Frasier's dad had to move into Frasier's fancy condo and brought his ugly-but-comfortable recliner, much to Frasier's distaste (I think the picture is from an episode where Frasier gets rid of it, but then brings it back to make his dad happy; the still looks to be the reveal that it's returned...or else it's when the chair first arrived). E: actually, it's been awhile since I watched it and maybe this is when Frasier got him a new but different recliner? And there was some sitcom-y drama from that. It doesn't matter. Why am I still writing.

The first episode or two is about the recliner displacing the eames when the dad moves in.

There was an episode where he accidentally destroyed the chair and ended up having it lovingly recreated down to the specific duct tape patches.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That thread is unfortunately a nightmare. It's one user's playground to post a 'word of the day' followed by several dozen images from zillow listings

I figure this thread and subforum is the perfect locus of 'people who know how to match wood tones/fabrics' and 'being able to talk high end furniture without guillotine emojis'

I appreciate this! Out of curiosity, how did the Eames factor in to the episode? If at all. One of the things I love about it is how it disappears into a room
GGGC Chris, I agree, really don't care for the word of the day thing but I absolutely do not mean any ill will to the OP of the thread, and everybody who likes it ! It just is not quite a thread about the subject line. Promise us a pic when you get that Eames.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Inner Light posted:

GGGC Chris, I agree, really don't care for the word of the day thing but I absolutely do not mean any ill will to the OP of the thread, and everybody who likes it ! It just is not quite a thread about the subject line. Promise us a pic when you get that Eames.

the interior design thread was split into chat and q&a threads a while ago exactly because zillow wotd was taking up so much oxygen. q&a tends to be better at, uh, discussing questions, but i don’t know how well versed it is in frasier lore

marjorie
May 4, 2014

brugroffil posted:

The first episode or two is about the recliner displacing the eames when the dad moves in.

There was an episode where he accidentally destroyed the chair and ended up having it lovingly recreated down to the specific duct tape patches.

Ah, okay, forgot about that - I'm pretty sure the Eames spends the rest of the series in that back spot, so that's the lasting impression for me.

Anyway,

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

EDIT apparently that was the interior design chat thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955939&pagenumber=86#lastpost. The Q&A thread looks far more navigable

I appreciate this! Out of curiosity, how did the Eames factor in to the episode? If at all. One of the things I love about it is how it disappears into a room, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Eames is just the chair-in-the-background rather than a part of the chair plot

Yeah, was going to say that doesn't sound like the thread I linked, but you got it. It's pretty dead, but usually perks up to help people answer questions. My posts were bad because I was not well-aimed when trying to furnish my new place, but targeted questions get pretty solid results from thoughtful posters it seems.

And brugroffil covered it pretty well above - it seems to stay as Frasier's chair throughout, but not really a point of focus.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I couldn't find an old article that went over the cool set construction that went into Frasier's apartment that let them film so many angles and rooms, but I did find this interview with the head set designer where he talks about the decor and furniture used throughout the home

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IXVjDw7n8Iyi3yF

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRt4mQMh/

Just came up on my feed out of nowhere.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/???????4?????

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The algorithm... it's listening...

My phone just sent me a push notification for this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/home/2022/02/01/eames-chair-popularity-millennial-men/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

unknown posted:

Yay, single pole baseboard thermostats! They're generally fairly easy to replace with a double pole, unless your house wiring is ancient (like, it truly loops and you don't have a neutral line behind the thermostat - in which case you've got bigger problems like knob and tube...) If you want a decent wifi control, I'd recommend Mysa (what I replaced a whole bunch of old SP thermostats with).
Funny you should mention knob and tube...

In any case, I found out at the supper table that my son doesn't actually want a baseboard heater at all; he likes to sleep cold, so he rarely runs a heater in any case. I'm not worried about the impact on the next buyers, since the entire house is unheated except for an electric heater in the kitchen and a gas fireplace.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one to abandon that thread over that. Christ it was annoying.

Might go and have another look if they split that off into its own thing, somewhere else.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Might go and have another look if they split that off into its own thing, somewhere else.

It's obviously spam in the thread and I feel bad for anyone trying to have a genuine interaction in that thread. Dude just nonstop bulldozes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We've got two interior design threads and the one that doesn't have someone making an effort to generate content is basically dead 98% of the time. :justpost: if you have actual design questions/content instead of complaining about it in another thread, imho.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't mean to put you on the defensive. I just think the one thread is dead and the other one is bad & also dead, but that's just how it goes with the low population subforums.

Palisander & blue is my favorite if I don't go with Walnut & black, but I need to to manhandle the leather samples more. Some of the leathers are more like a basketball or a football vs the traditional smooth MCL and I'm not sure I'd like that.

The HM living room sale is over but apparently the authorized dealers are the better way to go, regardless. They can beat the sale prices year-round in exchange for a slightly longer wait, which seems well worth it.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:justpost: As a sincere appreciator of the eames lounger I wouldn’t post a guillotine at what is sort of…the Canada Goose down jacket of home design items. The vibe of the interior threads is better than that. And as an owner of one other eames piece that I paid a lot of money for, that poo poo is worth every cent.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 16, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's a lovely combination.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Dave posted:

It's obviously spam in the thread and I feel bad for anyone trying to have a genuine interaction in that thread. Dude just nonstop bulldozes.

Yeah, there was more than once when I was reading it and it just killed an ongoing conversation. Admittedly this was quite a while ago, maybe it changed for the better or maybe it generated more interaction as people leaned into it.

It's not a bad idea. It would be a hell of an idea for a blog, and even something neat to link in the thread. There are a few other goons with topic-appropriate blogs who link in threads when they have an update. I know Ensign Expendable does that in the mil hist thread, for example.

I know the answer is "just scroll by" but lmafo they were so long and so picture rich it got annoying to scroll through them. At some point I just stopped bothering to read the thread, then unsub'd it to free up bookmark space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Struensee posted:

If you can use a screwdriver, you can replace a lock. It'll be way cheaper to DIY then getting someone out as well. Unless you have some high-end lock, but most likely it's a $20 kwikset?

Some hardware stores will even repin stuff so your existing stuff works.

Worst case, take it apart, bring it to a locksmith, and get a replacement from them.