Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's probably done content-wise and just needs vast amounts of polish and bugfixing. History suggests it'll get... some of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Extreme forehead polish.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't believe Bethesda might release a janky rear end pile

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Another way game pass is good for everyone is Microsoft appears to have a, "We will give you money to get out of development hell if you put it day one game pass."
Stalker, Scorn, Atomic Heart, that one JRPG that has like a 100 player charcters, these games would never have seen the light of day without game pass.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hi Fi rush is weird, I was cruising along with no issues then hit a spot where I just get rolled in a fight repeatedly. It gets too fuckin chaotic it is hard to stay on the beat! I don't want to bump the difficulty down or add that visualizer thing though :sigh:

Old dork is bad at games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Get comfortable with using Dash-Y to quickly launch an air combo, it'll give you some time to think at the start of a fight while mostly staying out of harm's way.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BoosterDuck posted:

fallout 4 got announced the summer of 2015 and came out 6 months later with like 2 promotional trailers, those vault boy cinematics and no previews

plus it was a buggy pos at launch so starfield is definitely coming out this year

Wasn't Starfield suppose to release last year? Covid disrupted the workflow of most of these studios. And we know BGS don't mind releasing buggy poo poo so they will release it unfinished if they have to. I don't buy the we've been polishing it for all this year. Atleast it will run like poo poo on console.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ulio posted:

Wasn't Starfield suppose to release last year?

Its apparently still on track for this year. :( It was originally suppose to come out November 10, 2022 my god drat birthday.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Phil was too busy surviving vampires to push Starfield over the line, sad but true

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I've read that if they weren't under Microsoft they would have already pushed Starfield out even if it wasn't ready like all their other releases. Now they can take their time and get it right. Lol it'll still be a mess but maybe not as much of one.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The expectation really should be for Starfield to be the most polished BGS game ever, since they’re not desperately needing to recoup R&D to stay afloat.

Also in that vein, we can probably thank Fallout 76 for tanking Bethesda’s fortunes so much that they had to sell to Microsoft.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The reality is that I fully expect Starfield to be a huge mess at launch. This is a dream RPG for me, but I am expecting to be let down.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ulio posted:

Wasn't Starfield suppose to release last year? Covid disrupted the workflow of most of these studios. And we know BGS don't mind releasing buggy poo poo so they will release it unfinished if they have to. I don't buy the we've been polishing it for all this year. Atleast it will run like poo poo on console.
IIRC official word was basically "We could've hit the November date but it would've been too risky."

My personal guess is that it'll land in May.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

May seems too soon for a game of this size, it'll have a gigantic marketing campaign that is going to need many months I would imagine. Expecting Starfield to be sometime this summer. I would think probably late Summer.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

July 20th is the anniversary of the moon landing, seems appropriate.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I was super busy and had to skip a lot of pages. Did Microsoft ever move forward with any news on offering the Family Pack of GamePass Ultimate in the US?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

The real trick is to be bad with your money, buy all the consoles, and then not eat very much

i eat dinner like once a week cos i spend it all on blurays 🫡🫡🫡🫡

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

otter posted:

I was super busy and had to skip a lot of pages. Did Microsoft ever move forward with any news on offering the Family Pack of GamePass Ultimate in the US?

As far as I've heard it's still only the few it launched in.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If the Activision deal falls through I want Microsoft to buy Sega, or at least RGG, just to stick it to Sony for the poo poo they pull with Square Enix. :catstare:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I want firaxis to make a new Shining Force and it to come on gamepass day one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i eat dinner like once a week cos i spend it all on blurays 🫡🫡🫡🫡

Based on your Letterboxd this is clearly the correct decision. Need to watch a Greenaway flick at some point

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

If the Activision deal falls through I want Microsoft to buy Sega, or at least RGG, just to stick it to Sony for the poo poo they pull with Square Enix. :catstare:

Yeah Sega or EA would be my guesses for the alternative purchase plans for msft. Although with the game pass/ea play already in there there would only be some minor benefit to game pass subscribers.

I wonder if Sony would make a stink about FIFA

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Based on your Letterboxd this is clearly the correct decision. Need to watch a Greenaway flick at some point

The Cook The Thief... is one of the most fun films I've ever seen, I would recommend it to anyone asap. Draughtsman's Contract is also really really good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

If I was Phil, I would just work on getting Game Pass exclusive deals from companies like Sega, Square, and Activision. Pay to have Call of Duty be on only Xbox and PC, there's nothing Sony or governments can do about that one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would personally fix the problem that all of Microsoft's internal dev teams are AIDS except the Forza horizon guys

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tango and ID are good but they kinda acquired them incidentally when they bought Bethesda. A happy accident mostly

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

If I was Phil, I would just work on getting Game Pass exclusive deals from companies like Sega, Square, and Activision. Pay to have Call of Duty be on only Xbox and PC, there's nothing Sony or governments can do about that one.

Honestly wonder how much it would take to make Square exclusive. I don't think they'd have enough, unless it was a states only thing. No way in hell is Square going exclusive to xbox/pc in Japan. I agree with priznat that EA would be a kinda lovely value given the current deal they already have. Sega is probably the most likely out of the 3. but I would bet on dumptrucks full of money to get titles day one on game pass before an actual purchase.

Not sure any of that is likely at all tbh, but if the Actiblizz deal falls through, it seems pretty obvious they'll want to scoop something up.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

If we're fantasizing I would rather get Capcom. They are on a roll lately.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
looking at the list of all the games Square has released since 2015 and it's basically just mid JRPGs and Forespoken (lol). The only thing good was Nier Automata.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

They sold the only games I liked from them last year. Thank god.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
As evidenced by this weird cannibalization thing, the entire internet will line up to poo poo on Xbox at the slightest provocation. It makes sense to me that they're willing to delay a big marquee project like Starfield, since all eyes will be on BGS and the folks who consider getting an Xbox an impossibility are primed to sour grape.

Professor Beetus posted:

My man.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think roughly half of my GOTY list last year was Square Enix.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think roughly half of my GOTY list last year was Square Enix.

Go on....

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OK not counting really old games it was Triangle Strategy, Live-A-Live and DQ11 (2017 to be fair). Stranger of Paradise probably would have gotten rated if I had played enough of it. They were probably my single favorite publisher last year because I value a lot of varied games over releasing like one boring rear end Santa Monica Studios open world collectathon

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

DQ11 is baller, that's true. Heard really good things about Live a Live but I don't have a switch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If MSFT did but EA they should let Respawn bring Halo back!

A Halo/Titanfall type single player with an Apex Legends style multiplayer.. that’d be pretty hot tbh. Although Apex is probably a big enough franchise it would be enough to stand on its own.

Basically more good Respawn stuff, more good Bioware (if that is possible, the team is already gutted), EA sports continues to print money, and Phil shoves :dice: into the dumpster

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Final Fantasy VII remake was amazing and the xbox should get to have it. Also 16 is a Yoship joint and I trust him to deliver.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Professor Beetus posted:

They should buy Keoi Tecmo so I can get Nioh on Xbox

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

priznat posted:

If MSFT did but EA they should let Respawn bring Halo back!

A Halo/Titanfall type single player with an Apex Legends style multiplayer.. that’d be pretty hot tbh. Although Apex is probably a big enough franchise it would be enough to stand on its own.

Basically more good Respawn stuff, more good Bioware (if that is possible, the team is already gutted), EA sports continues to print money, and Phil shoves :dice: into the dumpster

There's been huge leaks from 343 about Halo Infinite (complete with a lot of screenshots and gameplay footage - but they're going nuts with takedowns which I don't get because it looks awesome :shrug:) and they have a stupidly huge amount of content that looks finished or close to finished and they should just be left with Halo because they made the most successful game in the franchise and also the best multiplayer. All the leaked stuff for Infinite looks great (and tracks well since 343's other Halo games all had excellent post-launch support) and after giving players infinite content for Infinite after finishing work on Forge mode, apparently they're not only working on Firefight but also trying to integrate AI with Forge mode which will be incredible if they succeed and we finally get to make Firefight Forge content :D

Hypothetically though if Microsoft bought EA (can't ever see it happening but they suck so much I wish this would happen) they should instantly push for Titanfall 3 to begin development (hopefully being able to persuade a lot of ex-Respawn devs to come back now that TF exists again) and then permanently shelve the Need For Speed IP because it sucks, Forza Horizon is better in every single way and it is time for Burnout to make a return :D Bring back SSX too. I would also argue in favor of a Bad Company 2 remake before dumping Dice which could end up in disaster because it's :dice: but maybe just make it their sole project and no timeline for completion with the only stipulation being that it has to literally just be BC2 with better graphics.

Oh, also hire this guy and bring back Road Rash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvHz2u-33Y4

Professor Beetus posted:

Final Fantasy VII remake was amazing and the xbox should get to have it. Also 16 is a Yoship joint and I trust him to deliver.

I think during the process of submitting evidence for the purchase of Activision Blizzard, part of what Microsoft submitted was details of Sony paying to keep games off Xbox and one of the titles mentioned was FFVII Remake with Sony having apparently renegotiated to make it a permanent exclusive before the one-year period ended. Apparently Sony tried to buy Starfield exclusivity as well while Bethesda was in talks with Microsoft lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

OK not counting really old games it was Triangle Strategy, Live-A-Live and DQ11 (2017 to be fair). Stranger of Paradise probably would have gotten rated if I had played enough of it. They were probably my single favorite publisher last year because I value a lot of varied games over releasing like one boring rear end Santa Monica Studios open world collectathon

I gave DQ11 a try on gamepass because "no no man, for real this JRPG executes everything well" and it was the same boring formula found in 95% of jrpgs with an overly long intro and tired rear end plot. It felt like when people say "oh no this assasin's creed is different. I dled the triangle strategy demo and same thing, except and even more simplistic plot. All those JRPGs feel essentially exactly the same to me barring different graphical styles and I think they're tired and paint by numbers. People seem to like them and that's good for them. I guess I'm glad I dont because I feel like I haven't missed out on anything Square has done recently.

Anyways I finally completed a full freelancer campaign in Hitman and drat was that fun. Probably the best free content released for a game I can think of possibly ever. Completely breathes new life into untouched areas of maps and unused playstyles/equipment. Absolutely excellent.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 16, 2023