Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

gently caress

e: before, well, this season, 2014 UGA had the best offense in school history and Bobo wrung that out of Hutson Mason at QB (and, yeah, Gurley at RB and Prime Chubb once Gurley got NCAA'd).

That was also a long time ago and he hasn't really done anything much of note since. I worry we're speed-running the crimes-and-Habsburg-hires portion of the 30 for 30 doc on the UGA dynasty. HC Kirby, OC Bobo, co-DC Muschamp...can't y'all golf on Sundays and that be the end of it

Kirby already did the continuity-for-continuity's-sake OC hire and it was James Coley, who had nervous breakdowns in the booth so hard he couldn't get the plays down to Fromm on time. Bobo will probably be better than that, but this feels like a huge step backwards.

I’m less concerned than most. By all accounts we are keeping the same playbook and terminology so there won’t be a huge learning curve. Bobo has been around the program and Monken’s right hand man for game prep and scripting all season so I think we will be all right there.The fact that Kirby had loaded up the roster way better than Richt ever had also gives me hope. Bobo always had good players but has never had an o-line or a supporting defense like UGA currently had.
Not to mention our schedule is soft as hell next year which is good for getting guys used to the system. I dunno, I’m cautiously optimistic unlike how I was for either Coley or Schotty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
lol just as Bama got rid of BoB, UGA hires a doofus OC based solely on length of CV and personal connections. You guys really are just copying us aren't you

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

GD_American posted:

lol just as Bama got rid of BoB, UGA hires a doofus OC based solely on length of CV and personal connections. You guys really are just copying us aren't you

bobo knows the program and this time he'll run the dang ball

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Declan MacManus posted:

bobo knows the program and this time he'll run the dang ball

Can't wait for the leaked audio of Kirby telling Bobo to run the loving ball.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2022 UGA kinda didn't RTDB unless Making A Statement With It (the UK game), though returning RBs 1 and 2 are less pass-catchy than McIntosh was.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I saw this float. One of the players on it threw me a Cotton Bowl champions cup.

https://twitter.com/sstone5173/status/1625656273164271616

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Tulane clearly has the best mascot and second place is not close

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 15, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/SportsLawGuy/status/1625960233200746517?t=yD1OmCA1i5J1O7sjF3-8ig&s=19

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PostNouveau posted:

I saw this float. One of the players on it threw me a Cotton Bowl champions cup.

https://twitter.com/sstone5173/status/1625656273164271616

Jealous, I wish I could have been in NOLA for that parade.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Did the NCAA go full Qanon or something?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Did the NCAA go full Qanon or something?

yeah, what gives? it's usually the judges who do that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

organs aren’t traditionally treated as property under the law even though there’s a market for those organs, and i guess the ncaa’s lawyer is also citing babies as a thing we don’t traditionally allow people to sell either

it’s a stupid argument especially when looking at the rest of the thread where the panel clearly wants the ncaa to talk about how it isn’t an employer or acting as one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Allowing people to profit from their labor is a slippery slope to baby markets" is certainly an argument.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

PostNouveau posted:

"Allowing people to profit from their labor is a slippery slope to baby markets" is certainly an argument.

My employer regretfully informed me that they can no longer pay me because they don't want to be responsible for baby trafficking.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In less insane news, I saw Ohio State canceled a home and home with Washington.

In insane news, I choose to believe that it is because it would be a conference game shortly.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Opposite interpretation would be because they don't want two west coast road trips in a year.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

General Dog posted:

Opposite interpretation would be because they don't want two west coast road trips in a year.

It’s this and also they’re trying to keep 8+ home games a year for revenue sake.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No you leave me with my USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington Big Ten Pacific Division fantasy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sash! posted:

No you leave me with my USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington Big Ten Pacific Division fantasy

Where do I sign

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm sure they could buy the Conference USA name for cheap

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

zimbomonkey posted:

Tulane clearly has the best mascot and second place is not close

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
I feel seen

AND IT HAS BROHM IN IT

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Sportscenter commercials from 20+ years ago endeared me to Big Red.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://youtu.be/_4fJEP6xjBM

I also remember one where he was trying to get in a little car to go to lunch or something with a group of people and someone offers him a ride in a van but he declines, but I can't find that one.

Anyway, Big Red rules.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/largeelyphants/status/1626644879517356047

Namaste and roll ride

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"Ham basket" sounds like some sort of obscure boxing term that I've never heard of.

GOT HIM RIGHT IN THE HAM BASKET AND DOWN HE GOES

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

In my mind that incomprehensible twitter guy is Horace Hogan

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Alaois posted:

In my mind that incomprehensible twitter guy is Horace Hogan

The nWo B-team doesn’t pay so well now brother.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1627671282832576517

Can't wait for them to institute the bottom 2 rules so they can add even more commercials.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The clock stopping after first downs is about the first thing that I think of as a difference between college ball and the NFL.

I'm not against getting rid of it, it just feels like a really big change. I guess for now even if they do change it they're keeping it under 2 minutes. I think I'm fine with all of these ideas, although consecutive time outs were always very funny because they were taken for the dumbest reasons.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
1 and 2 are fine. 3 extend it out to 5 mins and you're cooking with fire. 4 - gently caress off, that's so weird.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m fine with all of those except 4, and would be fine with 4 if they made an exception for last 2-5 minutes (since having running clock after incompletions would take some intrigue out of end-game strategy). I love college football much more than the pros, but it’s not because the college game runs about a full hour longer. It we could get these things reliably done in 3-3.5 hrs, I’m all on board. Either that or just keep the clock rules the same but chop the quarters down to 12 minutes.

These clock rules made 100 years ago didn't anticipate TV, and they certainly didn't anticipate teams combining for 60-80 passes per game.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 20, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm unclear if the incomplete pass rule change would still apply within the last two minutes. If not, it seems pretty stupid to get rid of spikes as a way of stopping the clock.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

wa27 posted:

I'm unclear if the incomplete pass rule change would still apply within the last two minutes. If not, it seems pretty stupid to get rid of spikes as a way of stopping the clock.

I assume they'd almost certainly have a cut out for spikes stopping the clock, though there would be a bunch of hilarious boundary-pushing for what counts as a spike. A spike is already kind of its own thing rules-wise, since it otherwise would be intentional grounding.

Biggest strategic impact would be on the team trying to run out clock at the end of the game; since there's no longer the incentive to run the ball as much as possible (rather than risk stopping the clock with an incompletion).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wa27 posted:

If they're keeping stopping the clock on first downs under 2 minutes (I agree under 5 seems a better compromise) there's no way they're not keeping the clock stopping on incompletions under 2 minutes. Or I'd guess at least.

And there's no way they're getting rid of clocking the ball I don't think.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

1 should already be a rule
2 is a rare occurrence that won't save any actual time
3 is fine but should be the last 4-5 minutes of a half otherwise you're strangling some fantastic comebacks
4 is too much. Running clock would make for 2 hour games.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

4 is too much. Running clock would make for 2 hour games.

If there's a theoretical game where they're throwing 90 minutes worth of incompletions, I think I'm fine getting it over with fairly quickly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

wa27 posted:

quote:

In a third proposal that is garnering wide support, the clock will continue to run after an offense gains a first down except inside of two minutes in a half. In a more controversial fourth proposal, the clock will continue to run after an incomplete pass once the ball is spotted for play.

It's not specified like it is with the first down one, so I assume it's not

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am just shrugging my shoulders at these changes. Yeah the game would probably be shorter, sometimes, but I don't think we're going to get under 3 hours still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ah yes. Less football. More ads. What we all want.

College football is already nearly unwatchable from stoppages. Now we need to make the actual gameplay faster and keep the overall run time the same. Capitalism baby.

F1 is so refreshing because you just sit down and watch the loving race from beginning to end.