Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Generally I just set up a quantum refuse and corpse pile on the surface before I find magma to designate a proper pit. Also once that's done I've to roof it over or it wont work. :v:

How does a pit work? I have magma and would like to utilize it as a trash disposal but im very cautious about using it because im worried ill collapse / flood my smelting area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Saw people talking about wooden blocks a few pages ago and started seeing red. Listen up bald faces, a fortress is made of STONE, nobles are GOOD, and Dwarfs fight with AXES.... SPEARS if they are peasants or burghers. Topic Locked.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

How does a pit work? I have magma and would like to utilize it as a trash disposal but im very cautious about using it because im worried ill collapse / flood my smelting area

designate a square near a hole as a garbage dump and dwarves will throw any garbage marked for dump, or assigned for dump under the labours menu into the pit. If the dump has magma at the bottom its an incinerator. Otherwise I generally build a small bridge at the bottom to squash garbage into atoms every once in awhile. When building a magma pit, leave 2-3 z levels clear for splashback.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I found a huge cavern and now my dwarves keep trying to bring items from undiscovered parts of the map they can't reach to stockpiles and the flood of alerts is real annoying, any way to make that stop?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wall up the caverns

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nuebot posted:

I found a huge cavern and now my dwarves keep trying to bring items from undiscovered parts of the map they can't reach to stockpiles and the flood of alerts is real annoying, any way to make that stop?

Locked door

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Synthbuttrange posted:

designate a square near a hole as a garbage dump and dwarves will throw any garbage marked for dump, or assigned for dump under the labours menu into the pit. If the dump has magma at the bottom its an incinerator. Otherwise I generally build a small bridge at the bottom to squash garbage into atoms every once in awhile. When building a magma pit, leave 2-3 z levels clear for splashback.

the problem with this is fire imps and magma crabs

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Buschmaki posted:

Saw people talking about wooden blocks a few pages ago and started seeing red. Listen up bald faces, a fortress is made of STONE, nobles are GOOD, and Dwarfs fight with AXES.... SPEARS if they are peasants or burghers. Topic Locked.

A good fortress is made of natural stone, smoothed and engraved by hand, not mass-produced blocks or (Armok forbid) haphazardly stacked boulders. If you're building your surface encampment out of cut stone, you're not making that stone into proper dwarven masterpieces, nor are you efficiently converting the chaotic tree growth into nice, sturdy, orderly palisade walls capable of offending every elf from horizon to horizon.

Maybe you should sit down and have another cup of prickle berry wine, friend.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

you can use fortrifications or magma proof bars to stop this ever being a problem

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I don't think I've ever had any magma sea creatures gently caress with my trash chute, the z level buffer for splash back seems to be enough that their pathfinding doesnt really target it.

Still, if it is a concern then yeah just make a small man made magma pool and channel and bar/floodgate it off.

Creatures can swim through 7/7 level fortifications.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

wall up the caverns

I'm mining the caverns for cool treasure and the occasional surprise demon. I guess I'll have to deal with it for now then.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Synthbuttrange posted:

you can use fortrifications or magma proof bars to stop this ever being a problem

I put a hatch a couple levels down between the top of the pit and the magma, hooked to a lever. Once there's a bunch of stuff on the hatch, we pull the incinerator lever and send everything to hell. Blocks imps or whatever, also saves any idiots who fall down the hole, and gives me a chance to collect anything that gets thrown down there by accident (I have a maintenance access to the hatch level behind a locked door).

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

...hwat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

StarkRavingMad posted:

And does your dump area have a square that the dwarves can stand on? One common problem I've seen a lot is people just designating a pit as a dump but not the square next to it. Dwarves won't use that because they don't think they have anywhere they can path to.

yeah it was this. lol.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I decided to embark on a ruin and not knowing what was in it I co-opted the local wildlife in the form of a breeding campaign to go 'scout' for me. I unleashed a dozen or more of them into the ruin and all they found was one bored forgotten beast who was soon sealed into a room. However, the animal I bred was emu and it turns out even the hatched ones can go wild so I now have several dozen wild emu just... running amok, being terrified, interrupting everything and being a nuisance. As an Australian I feel like the game is mocking me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hell yeah, an angel made of ash popped out of these gem walls and immediately got owned by the miner it interrupted. What's divine metal good for? Swords, right? And armor?

EDIT: Also is there any way to make a dwarf wear a specific item? I want to put a guy in the stupid artifacts everyone keeps making, probably the baron, but I don't know if that's possible since some of them are made of materials that aren't even selectable on the UI.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 14, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Supposedly divine metal is good for everything, even blunt weapons (unlike adamantite.) It's nice to have some bars for weapon moods so you'll get a good outcome no matter what's made

But there's some debate as to whether divine blunt weapons are *actually* good: https://old.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/10g23ze/good_weapon_yay_or_nay_would_be_replacing_an/j51wp9w/ I don't know if there's an authoritative answer somewhere

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've got 300 people in steel, time to begin the slow process of at least swapping this out for the military. Right now it's better than steel poo poo for most things at least!

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
When you make a custom uniform one of the options is something like "pick specific item" and you can use that to coat someone in artifact drip.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

otherwise you can assign artifacts via the noble screen.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

fart simpson posted:

yeah it was this. lol.

You're in good company, I've seen a ton of streamers do the same thing. It's not totally intuitive, since you don't have to do that for a pond, for example.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TastyAvocado posted:

When you make a custom uniform one of the options is something like "pick specific item" and you can use that to coat someone in artifact drip.

Sick, thanks!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

TastyAvocado posted:

I had to do this to define a specific shield for 9 squad members because they all wanted the squad leaders named shield and refused anything else haha

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Goddammit. I beat a Forgotten beast and now my surface has an uncontrollable wildfire that's destroying everything :argh:

No idea what caused the fire either.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Will dwarves still plant seeds if the seeds won't fully grow before the season ends?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought they’d grow no matter what if planted, the season just constrains when that can happen. I could be way off though.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bad Munki posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought they’d grow no matter what if planted, the season just constrains when that can happen. I could be way off though.

oh and of course since i asked, i finally found the answer on the wiki

"If, when the seasons change, the previous crop can not grow anymore, all immature plants will be destroyed, yielding neither seed nor plant. If the farmers are "aware" of this limitation, they will automatically stop planting crops that haven't enough time to ripen, but you might lose a few seeds in your first year when growers of insufficient skill plant seeds too close to the cutoff."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, well, note to self I guess. Not that I’d ever care to do anything about it. That amount of collateral damage is probably pretty minimal most of the time.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

So I've acquired a few zombie rhinos. I'm torn between training them to be war animals and using them for marksdwarf target practice. Much to consider.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The soundtrack rules, has anyone run into any cool covers on youtube/whatever playing them live? Especially "Strike the Earth".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

The soundtrack rules, has anyone run into any cool covers on youtube/whatever playing them live? Especially "Strike the Earth".
Strike The Earth is one of the new tracks composed for the Steam release by Dabu and Simon, but I don't even think any of the old track from The Soundsense EP have been performed live.

Which is a real pity, because I'd love to hear it; I keep hoping that the band that made a metal cover of the Minecraft song(s?) also make metal covers of the Dwarf Fortress OST.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

a head has spontaneously combusted in my corpse pile and now my surface has a wildfire that I can't stop :smith:

it's a human head? why would a human head catch fire?

Cowman fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 15, 2023

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Do you have temperature turned off? Or have toggled it? That can do weird things

It's not your issue, but if a dwarf catches on fire, you can turn off temperature and the fire will immediately stop and they go about their business like normal. If you look at their health, though, their entire face and hands might be melted off and if you ever turn temp. back on, they immediately bleed out from everywhere :iit:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Nosre posted:

Do you have temperature turned off? Or have toggled it? That can do weird things

It's not your issue, but if a dwarf catches on fire, you can turn off temperature and the fire will immediately stop and they go about their business like normal. If you look at their health, though, their entire face and hands might be melted off and if you ever turn temp. back on, they immediately bleed out from everywhere :iit:

I haven't messed with temperature. I had a forgotten beast that breathed fire but I killed it pretty quickly and it'd been a while since that thing invaded my caverns. I don't know why the head exploded into flames but it sure did destroy everything on the surface :argh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Fire imp heads will do that sometimes.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, do not let a Fire Imp get in to an alcohol store cos that'll go off with a bang

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I found a magma tube pretty high up, like above caverns 3 and I used a bunch of it for my magma needs. Now I need more and I noticed I drained a few levels off it - do they fill back up? I can connect it to another tube I’m just curious.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Fire imp heads will do that sometimes.

It was a human poet's head

His rhymes were fire :v:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

mst4k posted:

I found a magma tube pretty high up, like above caverns 3 and I used a bunch of it for my magma needs. Now I need more and I noticed I drained a few levels off it - do they fill back up? I can connect it to another tube I’m just curious.

I think yes, but possibly much more slowly than you are consuming it. The only way to rapidly get practically infinite magma is to tap the magma sea from near map edge below the higest tile where the magma sea extends across the map boundary. That stuff fills fast.

Of course, in very few situations will you actually need *that much* magma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Of course, in very few situations will you actually need *that much* magma.

Dream big