Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apraxin posted:

I'm pretty sure he can, the idea is probably that the local party will back Corbyn as candidate and the NEC would then have to go on record as formally overriding the democratic will of the party members and 'forcing' a guy who just wants to be loyal party MP to stand as an independent.

Which they have already done a number of times to left leaning candidates so I don't think that would be an issue, there is no recourse, labour is full of people who will take absolutely no action about this (and indeed, there is no action they could take because he clearly neither needs nor wants the left to achieve his goals) so I don't think it will make any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

DP

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 15, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

The telltale 6-digit hand of the AI Binman

My favourite Philip K Dick novel
Can't wait to do some future crimes
https://twitter.com/bristowbailey/status/1625165718340640769

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

That's fine, Starmer set precedent with Kim Leadbeater that you don't even need to be a properly vetted member of the party to run as the constituency candidate, so Corbyn could just join again and Islington North CLP could nominate him to run while the payment is still processing.

And the NEC could just parachute in a shortlist of 2-3 handpicked empty suits

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*NEC Mini Cooper arrives and 15 hand-picked Starmer candidates exit*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The starmer candidate is just a stable diffusion prompt.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

*NEC Mini Cooper arrives and 15 hand-picked Starmer candidates exit*

*immediately starts calling each other antisemitic*

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also I think its absolutely reprehensible that the police have had to announce to the press the reason they think Nicola Bulley went into the water was her issues with alcohol to try and stop the level of absolute insanity going on right now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The starmer candidate is just a stable diffusion prompt.
Stong and Stable Diffusion

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

serious gaylord posted:

Also I think its absolutely reprehensible that the police have had to announce to the press the reason they think Nicola Bulley went into the water was her issues with alcohol to try and stop the level of absolute insanity going on right now.

Yeah I thought it was a bit harsh to just suddenly snap and yell she was a drunk OK! Like aren't there GDPR privacy things that stop even the police from just talking poo poo about you in public?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I would say I hope those police know what they’re doing but they give the impression of being completely loving incompetent in every respect , so good luck with that

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

serious gaylord posted:

I saw they were saying that "social media speculation wasn't helping."
What is happening with the story? Are people investing in some QAnon style conspiracy theory, and the police are trying to stamp down on it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1625957639501889536

lmao

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Conservatives got everything they want, brexit, authoritarianism, privatisation, transfolk murdered in public. What are they "not happy" about?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

I saw they were saying that "social media speculation wasn't helping."
What is happening with the story? Are people investing in some QAnon style conspiracy theory, and the police are trying to stamp down on it.

There were truecrime idiots speculating on twitter that the dude murdered his wife and apparently faffing about the river, trying to break into buildings along it and stuff, the police felt they were stepping on their turf presumably. It's their jobs to be idiots and gently caress things up.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 15, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Only Kindness posted:

Conservatives got everything they want, brexit, authoritarianism, privatisation, transfolk murdered in public. What are they "not happy" about?

Reality.

Their worldview is rooted in the idea that they have a storybook understanding of how the world is and if they just apply it to the world, the world will become better.

When the world unaccountably does not get better when they are in charge, they imagine gremlins to excuse why their ideas and their governments are just making everything worse, and from that you get conspiracy theories. Because there must be some outside force which is responsible for the failures of the government, such as the satanic lgbt conspiracy, or the leftist economy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

*NEC Mini Cooper arrives and 15-fingered Starmer-picked candidate exits*

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the whole Nicola Bulley thing isn’t being helped by all her friends and family stating their utter certainty that she didn’t go into the river, based on apparently nothing more that gut feeling

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
yeah what idiots

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah I thought it was a bit harsh to just suddenly snap and yell she was a drunk OK! Like aren't there GDPR privacy things that stop even the police from just talking poo poo about you in public?

Not sure what rights the dead have. Probably not many.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I honestly have no idea what happened but the most likely thing is she ended up in the river via accident or malicous intent.

Saying she was abducted by gypsies and then threatening the lives of people on the council is nutcase behaviour.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lol @ ITV news

HAVE WE EVER SEEN A POLITICIAN WALK AWAY AT A TIME OF THEIR CHOOSING

um yes jacinta arden literally just a few weeks ago

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Things you should always do, according to public information films of the 1970s
  • go in the river
  • trust people who have sweets and puppies to show you
  • vote conservative

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Polly now sucking Keith dry

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ah so we can debate left wing policy we're just never allowed to have it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and if anyone threatens to bring it about they'll be hounded into the ground as history's smelliest antisemite and IRA supporter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if the ehrc said it was putting me in "special measures" I would just tell them I'm putting them in "eat my poo poo" measures.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

and if anyone threatens to bring it about they'll be hounded into the ground as history's smelliest antisemite and IRA supporter

You know hings are totally hosed up when Sinn Féin appears to be one of the more level headed political parties out of them all. :confused:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oooh, debate? That's my favourite thing!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Only Kindness posted:

Things you should always do, according to public information films of the 1970s
  • go in the river
  • trust people who have sweets and puppies to show you
  • vote conservative
  • never trust strangers
  • always trust beloved public figures

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
...ah, that Inside Number 9 episode makes more sense now...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

You know hings are totally hosed up when Sinn Féin appears to be one of the more level headed political parties out of them all. :confused:

They often are

smellmycheese posted:

Polly now sucking Keith dry

Pls no post horny. Or at least, not this kind of eldritch horny

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm reading ScotLab people think they can win 15-25 seats from the SNP somehow and I hate this idea so much

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i'm pretty sure the next election will end in yet another crushing tory majority in spite of all evidence otherwise.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i'm pretty sure the next election will end in yet another crushing tory majority in spite of all evidence otherwise.
What evidence otherwise? I mean, I’m sure a lot of the tories will be wearing yellow or red rosettes, and they’ll be from the sensible burn-the-poor wing of the party rather than the overtly fascist wing, but they’ll still be tories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some of them even stood as tories last time. And I'm sure they will also have their seats guaranteed by the NEC.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you get brownie points from liberals if you’re a recalcitrant former tory too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Whose that tory red waller MP who defected to Labour, was welcomed with open arms, swiftly became a deputy whip (IIRC)?
It's just gross that he is welcome while presumably still holding the exact same abhorrent views as when he was a tory yet booting out Jezza, a staunch labour MP for 40 years.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

pumpinglemma posted:

What evidence otherwise? I mean, I’m sure a lot of the tories will be wearing yellow or red rosettes, and they’ll be from the sensible burn-the-poor wing of the party rather than the overtly fascist wing, but they’ll still be tories.

i was talking about the blue brand of tories but i suppose it dosen't really matter at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Christian Wakeford.