Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Rappaport posted:

You’re in the forum posting along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a thread, it is closed. You reach down, you flip the thread over to D&D. The thread remains closed, its contents left for all to see, beating the Mellow Seas to open it, but they can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Now I ask ya. Would you give a gently caress what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

Now I ask ya. Would you give a gently caress what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?

I might. Is he Jim Carrey as the Riddler?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
New USPol thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024263

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exmarx, how bad is the nz weather stuff atm?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Not with that OP I’m not. Pointless!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
nobody has ever made an interesting post about how dark souls 2 is underrated

why do people post like that

why do people still post like that

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

nobody has ever made an interesting post about how dark souls 2 is underrated

why do people post like that

why do people still post like that

People might like to play fun games instead

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Koos Group posted:

My moderation philosophy is focused on the results, which I would like to be rigorous debate and interesting discussion. Sometimes the tone can affect these though, such hostility damaging the quality of debate by making it personal and higher stakes, or a lack of seriousness creating posts that have nothing interesting.

I guess that's the core difference in how the two "camps" want to approach discussing politics - and the thing I keep knocking back to when I quote the same passage out of Postman's Technopoly. The personal should matter, but this place is a place that's being curated where the personal is immaterial; no amount of systemic failures attested to by the posters that have been the victims of those systemic failures is ever enough to counter the threshold of "but the data says...".

The personal is important because it informs us on how or why a person can experience many of the same objective realities and come to entirely different conclusions about the how and why of that.

For example: I think it's incredibly important to hear Fritz's perspective on the dangerous chemical stuff because he's demonstrated he has a clear and personal relationship with the issue being discussed. If Fritz has had generally high-quality interactions with various federal/state government institutions, it's incredibly reasonable for him to conclude that those agencies can be trusted and that informs other posters of why he would defer to those agencies and in knowing this effective counter-arguments can be made (if there are any to be made) such as the vast difference between state-level branches of the EPA from state to state (compare, say, the Florida EPA branch to the Vermont EPA branch), or draw comparisons to historical failings of the EPA (due to corruption, ineptitude, or the careful and deliberate stripping away of the funds and mechanisms by which those agencies derive their power) that can speak to another poster's specific life experiences in a more nuanced and informed way.

This zealous deference to The Almighty Spreadsheet tries to put a rational model to emotional responses - at best, it's putting an egg-shaped peg in a round hole.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Am I just experiencing Baader-Meinhoff or has the last month or two seen a dramatic increase in usage of the term “vibes” on the DGCF?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Am I just experiencing Baader-Meinhoff or has the last month or two seen a dramatic increase in usage of the term “vibes” on the DGCF?

it's probably just a vibe, OP

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

quote:

Hello all. This will be the new USPol thread. You may hang out, or argue politics in any way you'd like here. However, you cannot talk about D&D or any posters who haven't posted in the thread in the preceding week, or you will be banned. Cheers.
:rubby:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Speaking of honeypots!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Honestly the “don’t talk about non-participating posters [euphemism for Discendo vox]” is reasonable enough but “don’t talk about D&D” is a little over the top, maybe.

E: like, would my Baader-Meinhoff question have even been acceptable?

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 15, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:gas:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Also why did Leon probe GG for a “nonexistent post” that I posted and the quoted in the thread to point it out.

The post exists, dummy! It’s right there!

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

I guess that's the core difference in how the two "camps" want to approach discussing politics - and the thing I keep knocking back to when I quote the same passage out of Postman's Technopoly. The personal should matter, but this place is a place that's being curated where the personal is immaterial; no amount of systemic failures attested to by the posters that have been the victims of those systemic failures is ever enough to counter the threshold of "but the data says...".

The personal is important because it informs us on how or why a person can experience many of the same objective realities and come to entirely different conclusions about the how and why of that.

For example: I think it's incredibly important to hear Fritz's perspective on the dangerous chemical stuff because he's demonstrated he has a clear and personal relationship with the issue being discussed. If Fritz has had generally high-quality interactions with various federal/state government institutions, it's incredibly reasonable for him to conclude that those agencies can be trusted and that informs other posters of why he would defer to those agencies and in knowing this effective counter-arguments can be made (if there are any to be made) such as the vast difference between state-level branches of the EPA from state to state (compare, say, the Florida EPA branch to the Vermont EPA branch), or draw comparisons to historical failings of the EPA (due to corruption, ineptitude, or the careful and deliberate stripping away of the funds and mechanisms by which those agencies derive their power) that can speak to another poster's specific life experiences in a more nuanced and informed way.

This zealous deference to The Almighty Spreadsheet tries to put a rational model to emotional responses - at best, it's putting an egg-shaped peg in a round hole.

I certainly wouldn't say the personal never matters in argumentation. Ethos is, after all, one of the classical rhetorical appeals. The reason personality is de-emphasized in D&D is so that there's a space on Something Awful where one doesn't have to learn about the posters and can focus on material that's applicable outside the forums. In addition it allows discussion to proceed with a little more patience, clear-headedness and generosity when the stakes are lower. There are of course also places on the site where political discussion is had and poster personalities and credibility matter more. This let's one choose which type of culture and content they'd like to engage with.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Me: Can we stop and get some USPol
Mods: No we have USPol at home
USPol at home: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024263

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

selec posted:

USCE is a weird place where nothing is accomplished, minds are not changed, and nothing we say or do achieves any political outcome. So having so many rules for it just feels like somebody’s fetish rules, like “you have to call me a Bad Swampdinkey” and I’m like bud I’m here to bullshit and I don’t need all those weird straps and harnesses and gags to get that done.

It should be moderated for Fun Results, not Serious Tone.

Nah dude. I've had my mind changed on many topics during my years on these forums and cspam is full of people with similar stories. Sometimes they're lurkers and sometimes not. Those people are the reason I post about politics but I stay out of USCE because it's against the rules to tell people defending the capitalist status quo and the Democrats who help prop it up that they're stupid monsters who aren't the good and moral people they think they are (and it shouldn't be)

There is solid data that these forums can make a positive difference in people's sociopolitical opinions and that's why I get frustrated with the rules that keep leftists from trying to do that and protect the Dunning-Krueger Crew

Anyway it's time to lift weights then shower and then play games until dinner and margaritas

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lib and let die posted:

Also this. This is correct

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elephant Ambush posted:

it's against the rules to tell people defending the capitalist status quo and the Democrats who help prop it up that they're stupid monsters who aren't the good and moral people they think they are

Quelle horreur. :rolleyes:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nah dude. I've had my mind changed on many topics during my years on these forums and cspam is full of people with similar stories. Sometimes they're lurkers and sometimes not. Those people are the reason I post about politics but I stay out of USCE because it's against the rules to tell people defending the capitalist status quo and the Democrats who help prop it up that they're stupid monsters who aren't the good and moral people they think they are (and it shouldn't be)

There is solid data that these forums can make a positive difference in people's sociopolitical opinions and that's why I get frustrated with the rules that keep leftists from trying to do that and protect the Dunning-Krueger Crew

Anyway it's time to lift weights then shower and then play games until dinner and margaritas

As someone that can say this place helped expand my limited conservative worldview into what it is now, it pains me how much people want to shut that down. shitposting about someone's lovely politics was absolutely an important part of that process.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

As someone that can say this place helped expand my limited conservative worldview into what it is now, it pains me how much people want to shut that down. shitposting about someone's lovely politics was absolutely an important part of that process.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also this. This is correct

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As long as we’re just throwing insults around I think a lot of people are incredibly weak-minded and just wind up taking up whatever position is shouted at them the loudest. Which is a type of persuasion I guess. “Bullying works,” right?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i just want to post with posting pals about weed and games and how were all hosed

so im content, momentarily

selec
Sep 6, 2003

learning to not accept criticism from people you would not go to for advice will absolutely change your life

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
also sorry for the state i left the upstairs bathroom in

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

selec posted:

learning to not accept criticism from people you would not go to for advice will absolutely change your life

Some seek to have a space without said criticism or argument and it is just loving dumb.

just argue for your sincere beliefs you fucks and just probe anyone that goes too personal like both Fritz and L&LD have experienced.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Koos Group posted:

My moderation philosophy is focused on the results, which I would like to be rigorous debate and interesting discussion. Sometimes the tone can affect these though, such hostility damaging the quality of debate by making it personal and higher stakes, or a lack of seriousness creating posts that have nothing interesting.

Planning to do so soon.

I think the friction and rigouressness somewhat go hand in hand. The balance between echochamber and shitpit.

selec posted:

Also why did Leon probe GG for a “nonexistent post” that I posted and the quoted in the thread to point it out.

The post exists, dummy! It’s right there!

Because he misread something in a way that conveniently allowed him to act. He's a terrible reader.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 15, 2023

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

I think the friction and rigouressness somewhat go hand in hand. The balance between echochamber and shitpit.

That's a fair summary of what I'm going for.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it’s a good goal and also something that is spectacularly difficult to achieve, which is why I stick around here in the first place, because I haven’t found a place that was any closer to striking the right balance.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Koos Group posted:

I certainly wouldn't say the personal never matters in argumentation. Ethos is, after all, one of the classical rhetorical appeals. The reason personality is de-emphasized in D&D is so that there's a space on Something Awful where one doesn't have to learn about the posters and can focus on material that's applicable outside the forums. In addition it allows discussion to proceed with a little more patience, clear-headedness and generosity when the stakes are lower. There are of course also places on the site where political discussion is had and poster personalities and credibility matter more. This let's one choose which type of culture and content they'd like to engage with.

Oh you should just finish the joke and make all posts anonymous then.

But I love "Credibility doesn't matter in D&D"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
data and sources are important because they establish a shared universe we can talk about together, instead of people just arguing poo poo they made up in their heads and refuse to explain to anyone

it's good to have a tether to verifiable reality so we can rein each other in when someone gets too horny for an argument and starts ejaculating nonsensical rants all over the thread

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Except the arguments aren't based on rigor, they're based on vibes. See the whole "leftists should be lying about the facts to get what they want" and "I only trust expert opinion when the experts are ideological allies of mine" discussion last night.

You end up in the poo poo pit with people calling each other stupid for not being convinced by their lovely arguments.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Oh you should just finish the joke and make all posts anonymous then.

But I love "Credibility doesn't matter in D&D"

I didn't say it doesn't matter, but it does matter less by design, because you're meant to provide sources rather than asking readers to rely on your word.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

A really long time ago I asked Brown Moses if he would accept my friend request on Facebook and he said he would then *BOOM* ghosted. Too cool to hang out with an al-Aqsa gangtag kiddo. I say this with a heart heavy with rejection, but can I blame him? Can any of us really?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The Iraq War was literally predicated on Just Vibes and yet USCE completely hosed the dog on moderation for a couple years on that one.

The problem with being old enough to remember is that you do remember.

The thread is vibes-based, it’s just that right now the vibe is scientism, but that will change over time to something more palatable to others, less palatable to some; and then back again.

Today me, but someday; you as hell buddy. You as hell.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

selec posted:

The Iraq War was literally predicated on Just Vibes and yet USCE completely hosed the dog on moderation for a couple years on that one.

The problem with being old enough to remember is that you do remember.

The thread is vibes-based, it’s just that right now the vibe is scientism, but that will change over time to something more palatable to others, less palatable to some; and then back again.

Today me, but someday; you as hell buddy. You as hell.

i didn't even drink back when iraq war happened, and i began drinking with friends at the age of 12

selec
Sep 6, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i didn't even drink back when iraq war happened, and i began drinking with friends at the age of 12

man it was some poo poo. The eventual exile or ignominy of pro war posters and then years later the ultimate symbolic end of the era in Benghazi when the transphobic racist mod who helped shepherd the thread into a war cheerleading free for all was, well it was really something.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

So many “just glass [major historical heritage site]” posts, it’s a stinging memory, bittersweet, a reminder to sit long enough by the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Koos Group posted:

I didn't say it doesn't matter, but it does matter less by design, because you're meant to provide sources rather than asking readers to rely on your word.

Ah yes let me just post all of recorded American history and every single lovely thing our government and military ever did, only for The Usual Suspects to hand wave it away they always do and try to "well actually" all those cited sources and declare them invalid because they refuse to believe that things can really be that bad and the political party they've attached their personal identity to wouldn't actually do or support all those monstrous things

And you know what? I just remembered that Jeff, the owner of this site, once said in a QCS thread about D&D that he just wants people to share opinions and he literally said "why does anyone have to be right?". Now that was a year or more ago and maybe he's changed his mind since then but if you need true insight on how the owner wants that forum to operate then I guess you might as well give up because nothing ever changes there, no matter how much polite pleading people do in feedback threads