Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Ccs posted:

Maybe its like Springfield and Shelbyville, and they secretly enjoy their rivalry.

next book snippet:

I had to get over to Triblee, which is what we called Tarbean in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the Edma Ruh style at the time time and….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Already a better book.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

Already a better book.

With an attitude like that you're definitely of the advance reader list!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've neglected my duties...

Write the book, Rothfuss!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The book will come out before Winds of Winter, Star Citizen, and the Tesla Bot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hughmoris posted:

I've neglected my duties...

Write the book, Rothfuss!

Putting on my serious hat for a moment . ..

Does this thread really need to stay open? "Pat the write, Rothbook!" is fine and all but is that all this thread is staying open for these days?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Rothfuss does something dumb that we like to make fun of a couple times a year.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does this thread really need to stay open? "Pat the write, Rothbook!" is fine and all but is that all this thread is staying open for these days?

Tree Dude posted:

Rothfuss does something dumb that we like to make fun of a couple times a year.

I think the thread gets meaningful discussion going from time to time. I truly hope he publishes the third book sooner than later. I enjoyed the first one, parts of the second one, and we'll see where the third one lands.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

A few different people ahve suggested I close this thread, under the theory that it's just toxic rothfuss-slamming and there's little point in keeping it going.

Do people feel this thread is still serving a purpose or should I take it out back behind the chemical sheds?

Open threads aren't like leaving a lightbulb on or something, they can stay open even if they're not getting any posts! It's not like it's a drain on resources or choking out other discussion or something, and it'd be silly if something interesting were to happen in Mr. Rothfuss's life and/or career and we had to wait for someone to reopen the thread to discuss it.

Anyways, see you in 6 months!

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
vote for keeping it, mocking rothfuss is good for the community

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Who knows, someone may actually dissect it again in an entertaining manner. I've been contemplating it. Also, sometimes news happens and we have a laugh. Keep it open.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yes because I need up to date info on the latest Cheerios trends.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Would you want us, in any circumstances, to leak into general chat? Think of this thread as quarantine

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

You've got the mummified remains of BotL marking the first page with the weirdest version of "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" so nobody has to worry about someone walking in unprepared for the horrors within.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

keep the thread but imo don't bump it unless there's content

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

If the Barkley 2 thread in Games can stay open this one can

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
What is that little scamp up to? Shouldn’t he have sexually harassed con attendees, raised money for a dubious charity, and/or issued some obvious lies about his literary output by now?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mp5 posted:

If the Barkley 2 thread in Games can stay open this one can

the promise has been made

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chicken Butt posted:

What is that little scamp up to? Shouldn’t he have sexually harassed con attendees, raised money for a dubious charity, and/or issued some obvious lies about his literary output by now?

It is curious what he plans to do as 2023 is probably going to see a full return to everything, will he show up to cons and public events as "famous author Patrick Rothfuss" or just use any excuse to avoid engaging with a potentially hostile audience.

Also, his website takes forever to load. Last blog post was June 2022 about that kickstarter to reprint some old books.

Yeah, just got a connection time out for his website's "tour" page.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

It is curious what he plans to do as 2023 is probably going to see a full return to everything, will he show up to cons and public events as "famous author Patrick Rothfuss" or just use any excuse to avoid engaging with a potentially hostile audience.

Also, his website takes forever to load. Last blog post was June 2022 about that kickstarter to reprint some old books.

Yeah, just got a connection time out for his website's "tour" page.

His entire website is down and he hasn't tweeted anything about the books in months, and the latest news about anything else is that all of the Lionsgate and Showtime stuff fell through because after GoT no one wanted to chance a series that hasn't finished yet.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This thread needs to be here so we can remind ourselves and inform others how hes taken advantage of charity then cried like a lifetime bitch about it so he wouldn't get in trouble.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He's a very big cautionary tale. Valuable warning for those who want to start an epic fantasy series without many previous books of practice, or at least a work ethic.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

He learned from GRRM

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Ccs posted:

He's a very big cautionary tale. Valuable warning for those who want to start an epic fantasy series without many previous books of practice, or at least a work ethic.

This was always the thing about fantasy series. The genre seems so married to the idea of serial releases in an effort to match the scope of LOTR. These people are also the first to remind everyone that LOTR was written as one book, so the lesson is never learned.

Is there any series where the original author said that it's all done and complete and no more will be released, and then nobody ever wrote another book in said universe?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Patware posted:

keep the thread but imo don't bump it unless there's content

Yeah, I think this is where I'm landing.

It seems like there's reason to keep it open but let's not just bump the thread with emptyquotes or one-liners if that's ok.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

It seems like there's reason to keep it open but let's not just bump the thread with emptyquotes or one-liners if that's ok.

I just want him to write the book. :mad:

Ok, no more monthly bumps of despair.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

I agree with this.

By the way, I had a laugh that apparently the issue with making the movies of the books themselves is that they complained they had too much content to do 1 book per movie, which uhh, then just split it up, ding-dongs. Yeesh. Though you can probably just skip the Endless Pub Crawls.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
1 book per movie would never work, you'd end up with something like LOTR. Better to do multiple movies per book, so you end up with something like The Hobbit.

(Yes I'm aware The Hobbit had numerous other issues)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pennsylvanian posted:

Is there any series where the original author said that it's all done and complete and no more will be released, and then nobody ever wrote another book in said universe?

I think there are probably plenty but we don't hear about them because they were mostly forgotten because a new one isn't coming out every few years to remind us it exists.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

1 book per movie would never work, you'd end up with something like LOTR. Better to do multiple movies per book, so you end up with something like The Hobbit.

(Yes I'm aware The Hobbit had numerous other issues)

I think it's perfectly viable to do it the Hobbit way as long as you have plenty of material to cover.

The problem with doing it with the Kingkiller Chronicles is how little good material you have, while doing 1 book per movie has trouble because each book is more a collection of short stories than a coherent narrative.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The series would work better as a tv show than a series of movies, probably.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I imagine the TV show would just be like The Magician's TV show but canceled in one season because what's the point of having a high fantasy setting when all the screen time is normal college drama.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The ones that spring to mind for me aren't necessarily "fantasy" fantasy, but they're adjacent. Neal Stephenson handwrote The Baroque Cycle in one shot and published it from 2003-04 in three volumes which were later split into smaller novels.

William Gibson usually writes in discreet trilogies but has the odd short story set in the same world as a trilogy.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If they adapt Name of the Wind to movie or tv there needs to be a little counter in the cornet of the screen at all times showing how many talents kvothe currently has like a video game hud

And another counter for his tuition

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If they adapt Name of the Wind to movie or tv there needs to be a little counter in the cornet of the screen at all times showing how many talents kvothe currently has like a video game hud

Sexing Master badge twirls onto the screen with bling sound effect

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This is basically 2 Broke Girls

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Had anyone done a let's read of KKC here?

(Not it!)

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mzuri posted:

Had anyone done a let's read of KKC here?

(Not it!)

Not really a Let's Read but there's several instances of BotL casually shanking specific scenes and chapters in this very thread.

We missed the tenth anniversary to do one, but who needs an occasion for self harm?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MartingaleJack posted:

I imagine the TV show would just be like The Magician's TV show but canceled in one season because what's the point of having a high fantasy setting when all the screen time is normal college drama.

At best, it'd be like the Sword of Truth TV show but even worse characters and a protagonist you actively end up rooting against regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Paul Verhooven should direct it and turn it into a satire on toxic nerd masculinity.