Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it pwns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i always like the bit in Hollow Knight where your reward for beating the Mantis Lords the first time is getting dumped in Deepnest

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Fedule posted:

At the very least they should have put something in the sunken frigate really early on that gates on the Gravity Suit. It's hosed up they let you go so far in before blocking you and then you have to climb the whole way back out, without the Gravity Suit. Absolutely psychotic game design.
I actually love it lol getting back out felt so loving good, it's like going down the Catacombs in Dark Souls, resting in the Tomb and going "oh

oh no"

Also hi I've read like two thirds of this thread after beating Dread, then forgot about it, then new posts because of the Remaster happened, I bought that, and finished reading the thread. Metroid is good

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

drat, that would be perfect! Samus running around a ghost town, with some environmental storytelling indicating some heavy poo poo went down. That could be super eerie...now I hope it's what they do

Let's just make a true Metroidvania and have Samus running around a gothic vampire castle. gently caress Konami, "Dracula" is public domain, they don't have a monopoly on vampire castles

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i always like the bit in Hollow Knight where your reward for beating the Mantis Lords the first time is getting dumped in Deepnest

"Welcome to Hollow Knight, bitch."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
skill issue alert: the second phase of meta ridley is rear end!!!!!!!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Fedule posted:

At the very least they should have put something in the sunken frigate really early on that gates on the Gravity Suit. It's hosed up they let you go so far in before blocking you and then you have to climb the whole way back out, without the Gravity Suit. Absolutely psychotic game design.

My most intense memory of Metroid Prime is being an hour late for a chem lab because of this. Great game, love it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Did they ever fix that bug with the boostball

e: Yes apparently

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Fedule posted:

i was dreading this but decided to do it anyway because i thought surely, it can't be as bad as i remember?

and turns out it really isn't. it's a single big room you have to climb out of and it takes like five minutes even if you fall several times due to dealing with the enemies

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of that i absolutely hate that giant room in Phazon Mines leading to the elevator to Magmar Caverns with that guy i always forget about who shoots you off the magrail

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

speaking of that i absolutely hate that giant room in Phazon Mines leading to the elevator to Magmar Caverns with that guy i always forget about who shoots you off the magrail

I jnow exactly where you mean and that room is the biggest poo poo in the game. Also you can go to the bottom and it looks like the route to the Omega Pirate but it's only a one way exit from that fight :mad:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

Let's just make a true Metroidvania and have Samus running around a gothic vampire castle. gently caress Konami, "Dracula" is public domain, they don't have a monopoly on vampire castles

I want a direct port of Symphony of the Night in the Dread engine with Samus as the player character now.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

...now I wonder if there's a romhack out there that takes, idk, Aria of Sorrow or some other GBA Castlevania game and puts in Zero Mission Samus as the PC. It wouldn't be the craziest thing I've ever seen, someone put the CONTRA guy in Order of Ecclesia after all.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Amppelix posted:

i was dreading this but decided to do it anyway because i thought surely, it can't be as bad as i remember?

and turns out it really isn't. it's a single big room you have to climb out of and it takes like five minutes even if you fall several times due to dealing with the enemies

Lol it was so frustrating my first time through that it's burned into my memory. To be fair it's also the two smaller shafts first, by the time you reach the wrecked elevator you're like halfway through the ship. And the funniest part is that in addition to moving like molasses you're half blind and you think that's just how water is in this game, then the gravity suit makes water become crystal clear.

It rules that it's one of the only times the game tells you explicitly "Hey you need a different item, get out of here", and they put that message at the very bottom of the ship instead of earlier on or even having a Gravity Suit jump-check at the start.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's a funny way of making you appreciate the Grav Suit mobility when you get it later, I like the occasional mean trick like that

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No Dignity posted:

It's a funny way of making you appreciate the Grav Suit mobility when you get it later, I like the occasional mean trick like that

Yeah it rules, I love when you feel like you can see the developer offscreen laughing. The Donkey Kong Returns (also Retro!) games have a bunch of bits where they lead you into a trap and I'm always a little pissed off but mostly entertained

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

its good actually because it lets you hear the music longer

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wish that theme based on the super metroid end credits (?) played every time you visited the landing site

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Augus posted:

its good actually because it lets you hear the music longer

The music underwater there is what I would hear every time scuba diving. It’s a perfect moment of zen, every time.

:unsmith:

e: lol that reminds me, I had a scuba tank valve decide that I didn’t deserve to breathe anything at ~85ft down, and when I tried to take another breath, got nothing, and felt the hoses go limp (as they do when there’s no gas in them), I heard the “EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY” voice from the frigate in the prologue :laffo:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 15, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Before Dread, I expected the “future” of Metroid to be a change of guard ala Yakuza. Samus retires from main protagonist duty and we play as a literal Metroid so that the title makes sense. Maybe the Federation becomes the new villains by doing some Metroid-human hybridization garbage, explaining the new protag. Combat would go from mostly ranged to mostly melee to serve as contrast between the two. New protag could be a revival of the Metroid Queen or some poo poo, IDK.

Then Samus turned out to be the real Last Metroid and hell I’m fine with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dread clarifies Metroid means Ultimate Warrior in Chozo so the title continues to work, it just means Samus with or without jellyfish DNA.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is such a weird complaint but "metroid" has such visible english etymological roots that i always had trouble buying it as an alien word

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah it's the part of your personality that is primal and self serving when you're in the subway

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I got the last suit in Prime and only just realized you can swap controls so the D-pad changes the cannon instead of the visor, and also you can set it so you hold R instead of X to change the other one. This would've helped a looong time ago.

Now if only there was a way to make the jump button consistent been regular and morph ball mode

Edit: oh wtf changing it from X to R to change visors also makes R the morph ball jump button, I just wasted 2 power bombs trying to jump over a ledge :gonk:

Friend fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 15, 2023

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They say to shoot the mouth before he does the lunge/swipe/tailspin wombo combo. But I can never get the timing right.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I scraped through that fight, on the one hand first try, but on the other hand with 30 health remaining down from the literal max possible. 80% of that health came from the dodge just not working when those lunges came out.

Does the wavebuster cheese still work? I didn't think to try it.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Fedule posted:

I scraped through that fight, on the one hand first try, but on the other hand with 30 health remaining down from the literal max possible. 80% of that health came from the dodge just not working when those lunges came out.

Does the wavebuster cheese still work? I didn't think to try it.
had this exact experience, gonna be rough on hard

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm still baffled by the Pirates' decision to make Power Beam troopers. Like, you want to make armor that is specifically weak to the single most powerful single-shot weapon in Samus' arsenal? Ok, cool, enjoy cleaning up the viscera.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
They definitely jumped at "oh great let's reverse engineer the Hunter's weapons!" and didn't take the time to fully realize the ramifications of "oh gently caress they're vulnerable to the exact same element and she's already loving here"

The Power Beam Troopers at least get off better than the others; yeah the power beam still hurts but it beats being electrocuted/frozen/caught on plasma fire

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Color coded pirates are probably my least favorite thing in Dread. They really want you to switch between all the beams way too often what with the plethora of doors that are already behind other doors and the Power Ranger Space Pirates and then that being [spoiler]the final boss' whole deal[spoiler]. Once I get that plasma beam I just want to melt everything goshdangit.

Still a great game though. Wish I had realized I could switch the beam and visor swap controls and I probably wouldn't have this very minor complaint.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'll take Beam Troopers over Prime 2's Dark Commandos, they're like Chozo Ghosts on meth.

Prime 3's are nasty until you get the Nova Beam, then they're just a complete joke.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MokBa posted:

Color coded pirates are probably my least favorite thing in Dread. They really want you to switch between all the beams way too often what with the plethora of doors that are already behind other doors and the Power Ranger Space Pirates and then that being the final boss' whole deal. Once I get that plasma beam I just want to melt everything goshdangit.

I do agree that doors should just revert to blue when you've hit them once with their progression-appropriate beam.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The best part about the Annihilator is its ability to open every door type.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MechaX posted:

They definitely jumped at "oh great let's reverse engineer the Hunter's weapons!" and didn't take the time to fully realize the ramifications of "oh gently caress they're vulnerable to the exact same element and she's already loving here"

The Power Beam Troopers at least get off better than the others; yeah the power beam still hurts but it beats being electrocuted/frozen/caught on plasma fire

They just get blown up by Super Missiles :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

I do agree that doors should just revert to blue when you've hit them once with their progression-appropriate beam.

It would even be a super Metroid callback!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

It would be one thing if the beam doors were preparing you for whatever enemy is inside but a lot of the time you have to switch to open the door then switch in the room then switch back to leave

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Friend posted:

I got the last suit in Prime and only just realized you can swap controls so the D-pad changes the cannon instead of the visor, and also you can set it so you hold R instead of X to change the other one. This would've helped a looong time ago.

Now if only there was a way to make the jump button consistent been regular and morph ball mode

Edit: oh wtf changing it from X to R to change visors also makes R the morph ball jump button, I just wasted 2 power bombs trying to jump over a ledge :gonk:

... There's a morph ball jump button?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Original Prime did not have spring ball IIRC but they added it to Trilogy. Just press X in the remaster! You get it when you get the bombs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Which prime was it that had the reflections of samus's face on the inside of the visor? I thought it was 1 but i'm not seeing it on the remake and I can't tell if it's just because I'm playing at work in the lunch room full of bright light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It was in one, and it's even more prominent in the remaster (not a change I'm fond of)
Go fire a missile standing like 2 feet away from a wall