Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Xenomrph posted:

This genuinely never happens. Well, to be fair, there's a comic that has a sort of xeno-synth hybrid that happens to be a woman but she is in no way portrayed as sexually provocative or anything like that.

I haven't read the Marvel comics at all yet but them mining Giger's other biomechanoid artwork and making it Alien-adjacent is a halfway-novel concept on paper. The closest the Dark Horse stuff ever came to doing that was having free-standing Alien hives in the comics look like Giger's 'Alien' concept art for the "egg silo/pyramid" from early in the film's production, which I always thought was a cute easter egg.

That alien hive looks like a tit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ironic given that they are the most un-mammalian creatures I can imagine. Except I guess the silly comic book guys imagined them pretty mammalian.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ironic given that they are the most un-mammalian creatures I can imagine. Except I guess the silly comic book guys imagined them pretty mammalian.

Well I mean, it looks like a tit because Giger drew it, not because the Aliens are mammalian

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you must design a woman-xenomorph, either make it out of ovaries or at the very least make it look like a voluptuous Venus Figurine.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Watched Aliens for the first time in a long time. Never realized before that from her perspective, the queen is just having the worst day ever. Things were going great, lots of hosts for facehuggers, plenty of peace and quiet to lay eggs. Then these assholes come along, gently caress up the nice warm reactor, murder most of the drones, and then this crazy lady sets the hatchery on fire. What the gently caress? So the queen follows her to space, just to try to find out what's going on, a small robot gets in the way so she gets rid of that, then an even bigger robot comes out of a closet and falls on her and then pushes her into space. Just sucks.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nature, or Nurture

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Animal-Mother posted:

Watched Aliens for the first time in a long time. Never realized before that from her perspective, the queen is just having the worst day ever. Things were going great, lots of hosts for facehuggers, plenty of peace and quiet to lay eggs. Then these assholes come along, gently caress up the nice warm reactor, murder most of the drones, and then this crazy lady sets the hatchery on fire. What the gently caress? So the queen follows her to space, just to try to find out what's going on, a small robot gets in the way so she gets rid of that, then an even bigger robot comes out of a closet and falls on her and then pushes her into space. Just sucks.

Post/username combo, lol.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Animal-Mother posted:

And someone calls her a bitch! loving millennials

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Red Rox posted:

And someone calls her a bitch! loving millennials

Hmm, what generation would Ripley be (born in 2092), and how much would she clash with all those people born while she was in hypersleep for 57 years? I suppose she did show terrible anti-android prejudice by their standards, what else would she be a grumpy conservative about? "You kids these days with your guns, and your quips, you think you can take on an unholy abomination? I beat that thing with a grapple gun and a door!" At least she's pro-abortion judging by Alien 3.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

MadDogMike posted:

Hmm, what generation would Ripley be (born in 2092), and how much would she clash with all those people born while she was in hypersleep for 57 years? I suppose she did show terrible anti-android prejudice by their standards, what else would she be a grumpy conservative about? "You kids these days with your guns, and your quips, you think you can take on an unholy abomination? I beat that thing with a grapple gun and a door!" At least she's pro-abortion judging by Alien 3.

She’s a xennial. A Millennial X hybrid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Animal-Mother posted:

She's also only like a month old. So her entire life was:
Day 1: Hello world, I'm the boss. Sweet.
Day 2: I laid some eggs and the drones brought some hosts and we put the eggs in front of the hosts and we got some more drones.
Day 3: I laid some eggs and the drones brought some hosts and we put the eggs in front of the hosts and we got some more drones.
Day 20something: I laid some eggs and... where are my hosts? What do you mean there's no more hosts?
Day 20something+N: I laid some eggs and the drones brought some hosts and we put the eggs in front of the hosts and now I'm going to take a big sip of resin and think about how glad I am everything's back to normal again.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 4, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/new-alien-movie-plot-synopsis-full-cast-1235542570/

quote:

While the premise for the yet-to-be-titled movie has been kept under wraps, the studio did reveal that the film will follow “a group of young people on a distant world, who find themselves in a confrontation with the most terrifying life form in the universe.”

Oh boy. Well I do like the director but this isn’t inspiring much faith right now

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FastestGunAlive posted:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/new-alien-movie-plot-synopsis-full-cast-1235542570/

Oh boy. Well I do like the director but this isn’t inspiring much faith right now

Aside from "young" that describes all Alien movies

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, tbh the biggest red flag for me is Ridley Scott :v: (I don't know if the evil dead remake was any good)

e: and "young" worked out OK for prey and made a lot of chuds mad so :shrug:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Evil Dead remake was pretty good.

I’m reading that synopsis as a “first encounter”, hence my skepticism, but maybe I’m wrong. I’d like to see Resurrection’s “corporate experimentation” revisited

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Splicer posted:

Yeah, tbh the biggest red flag for me is Ridley Scott :v: (I don't know if the evil dead remake was any good)

It wasn't the character's age that upset the chuds. It was the second X chromosome.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dienes posted:

It wasn't the character's age that upset the chuds. It was the second X chromosome.

Which was funny in hindsight. "How can some female beat a Predator with primitive weapons?" Well what do you recall Dutch using in that final battle, my guy?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Splicer posted:

Man I am looking forward to when we stop giving art bonus points just because some idiots on Twitter get mad at it because that means it's "triggering" people we don't like.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gripweed posted:

Man I am looking forward to when we stop giving art bonus points just because some idiots on Twitter get mad at it because that means it's "triggering" people we don't like.
I've never had a post called art before :blush:

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Gripweed posted:

Sigourney Weaver was 28 when she filmed Alien

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dawgstar posted:

Which was funny in hindsight. "How can some female beat a Predator with primitive weapons?" Well what do you recall Dutch using in that final battle, my guy?

3 metric fucktons of muscle.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

LaserPrinter69 posted:

Sigourney Weaver was 28 when she filmed Alien

I would not call the the Nostromo crew 'young people' at the time of the events of the film.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 4, 2023

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Harry Dean Stanton was 25 when he was in Alien

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
70's hairstyles make people look old, turns out.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
They're all grumpy middle-aged people griping about their paychecks.

Barely any of the Marines in Aliens come across as 'young', either. IDK if any of them were supposed to be fresh recruits, but they don't act like it.

Anyway that's just to say that I think the concern about the word "young" in the plot synopsis of the upcoming film, is warranted. I certainly don't want to see an attempt to turn the franchise into some YA poo poo where teenagers save the world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

If you must design a woman-xenomorph, either make it out of ovaries or at the very least make it look like a voluptuous Venus Figurine.

Reminds me of the early concepts for Prometheus/Covenant where they just had Michelangelo's David as the engineer reference.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Space Jam posted:

Harry Dean Stanton was 25 when he was in Alien

But he was ugly.

This cast of stupidly attractive young people is going to take me straight out of the film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sigher posted:

But he was ugly.

This cast of stupidly attractive young people is going to take me straight out of the film.

I hope they are courageous and have the young attractive cast be an amazing fakeout like James Franco showing up in the last supper promotional short vs. his role in the film.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Neo Rasa posted:

I hope they are courageous and have the young attractive cast be an amazing fakeout like James Franco showing up in the last supper promotional short vs. his role in the film.

This was actually a hilarious part of the movie. For a minute there I honestly thought they were going to have he and Danny McBride riffing at each other the entire time, but Franco burning alive in the first ten minutes of the movie is also good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

This was actually a hilarious part of the movie. For a minute there I honestly thought they were going to have he and Danny McBride riffing at each other the entire time, but Franco burning alive in the first ten minutes of the movie is also good.

His one line in the last supper being that he's going to bed early instead of partying because he has a fever and "I'm burnin' up", so loving good lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Excited for a new alien movie but would’ve been more excited if this was a David lead Ridley Scott directed alien movie

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Of course they’re all going to look great in their headshot photos. Maybe they’ll be roughed up in the actual production. Too early to tell.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I'd like for it to be dealt with more directly - e.g. the xenomorph saying "This is for the uggos!" as its inner jaw punches through the actor's face.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

3 metric fucktons of muscle.

Not really, the Predator repeatedly kicks the poo poo out of him when he tries to physically fight back. His muscle was meaningless in the final fight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xenomrph posted:

Not really, the Predator repeatedly kicks the poo poo out of him when he tries to physically fight back. His muscle was meaningless in the final fight.

yeah Dutch won because he became more of the jungle than the Predator was

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

I forget who said it but I do like the idea is Dutch is the buffest Final Girl ever.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think it's long overdue I repost this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpnUP_tWEyc

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gripweed posted:

yeah Dutch won because he became more of the jungle than the Predator was
:hmmyes:
There are a couple of threads that come together there in the end:

Dutch realizes that the Predator only hunts those who are a threat, saving Anna when she picks up the rifle, leading to his discovery that the creature uses thermal imaging to hunt (mud-covered crawling out of the river he fell into).

Dutch realizes that a one-on-one gunfight is useless due to the monster's agility, camo, general durability, and weapons. It becomes a neat reverse of where they're at during the start of the film, with minimal knowledge and maximum firepower. Pretty much everything that made his squad the Rah-Rah Sexual Tyrannosaur Badasses is meaningless: guns, muscles, machismo, overconfidence. Dutch has to instead rely on simple traps, misdirection, tactical planning (and a shitload of luck).

Dutch succeeds where Billy failed, probably because Billy was treating it as some kind of 1v1 with an equal foe while the Predator was still in Hunt mode. As mentioned before, Dutch doesn't actually fare very well in the knuckle-duster fight, but he's prepared so he's not pinning all his hopes on being saved by raw manpower and muscles.

Probably the best part of the ending is that chiasmus of Dutch going from Prey to Predator, with the same happening to the monster.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

But he needed those 3 fucktons of muscle to lift the log trap. Muscle wins again!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we can all agree that getting insanely ripped is sensible, just in case you need to prep a log trap