Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Oxyclean posted:

I'm glad the blog post seemed to confirm crafted raid weapons aren't going anywhere.

They'd be absolute fools to get rid of it with how much it's driven up the playerbase for the raids they'd added crafting to, for better or for worse (god I wish people would actually learn DSC instead of just trying to farm it like brainlets)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

arsenicCatnip posted:

(god I wish people would actually learn DSC instead of just trying to farm it like brainlets)

... what? What does this mean?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

... what? What does this mean?
Doing full runs rather then just doing Atraks Thunder crash groups and maybe Taniks clears I guess?

arsenicCatnip posted:

They'd be absolute fools to get rid of it with how much it's driven up the playerbase for the raids they'd added crafting to, for better or for worse (god I wish people would actually learn DSC instead of just trying to farm it like brainlets)
Idk I think they're absolute fools to say "less total guns will be craftable" given I've chased patterns harder then I've chased most any god roll.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
DSC has been out for almost two years, everyone’s played it to death so getting craftable guns by the most efficient means possible is all that’s left

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I dont enjoy raid farming so I do weekly full run DSCs in overchill.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Joe specifically said they’d be dialing back on craftable weapons from “long-term sources.” Presumably that means anything they plan to keep in the game permanently as opposed to seasonal weapons. So if raid weapons are all staying craftable that leaves… just weapons you get from Neomuna? I don’t think Come to Pass and Pointed Inquiry are about to shred up the meta any time soon so I guess it’s not much of a loss?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

Joe specifically said they’d be dialing back on craftable weapons from “long-term sources.” Presumably that means anything they plan to keep in the game permanently as opposed to seasonal weapons. So if raid weapons are all staying craftable that leaves… just weapons you get from Neomuna? I don’t think Come to Pass and Pointed Inquiry are about to shred up the meta any time soon so I guess it’s not much of a loss?

Anything can become a long-term source if they want it to be. I'm imagining the post-Final Shape Destiny 2 to be a revolving door of old content. Tune in for Season 29 when it's the Season of the Deep weapons! Finally get your godroll before they rotate out for the Season of the Defiant weapons in Season 30!

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I wonder when they'll retrofit the new raid adept system (which is amazing imo) onto the other raids with master. Fatebringer/Found Verdict/Midha/Submission will be all over the crucible since those weapon types really care about adept mods.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hackan Slash posted:

I wonder when they'll retrofit the new raid adept system (which is amazing imo) onto the other raids with master. Fatebringer/Found Verdict/Midha/Submission will be all over the crucible since those weapon types really care about adept mods.

They are not committed to doing this on any other weapon, period. It's apparently quite difficult on the technical side of things and so they want us to be open to the possibility that this is going to be unique to Lightfall's master raid adepts.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pirate Jet posted:

I think it's in reference to World patterns (Palmyra-B, Syncopation, Ragnhild-D, etc) - they're primarily stepping stones on the way to weapons that are stronger or better themed, but random drops do the exact same job with less investment.

Other things he could be talking about :
  • Expansion patterns in general (because tbh most of the Witch Queen patterns just kinda... suck)
  • Expansion Activity patterns (see: Wellspring)
  • Dungeon patterns (of what few there are)

I'm fairly certain that the Seasonal pattern offerings aren't going anywhere since Seasonal content gets scrapped at the end of every year and therefore don't really fall under the "long-term" category.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

^burtle posted:

after the last 7 years i can absolutely believe the giant ball is only in semi orbit because it is out of real estate and not for any altruistic reason

Couldn't find any more vault space in the city, so it had to go somewhere else.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I mean look at us, collectively, who wouldn't choose this planet's inhabitants as a very last resort?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

in Destiny you can be sure that the biggerer you are the more powerful you are, which is why they show the Witness being 150' over bitchass Calus.

Lib and let die posted:

I mean look at us, collectively, who wouldn't choose this planet's inhabitants as a very last resort?

"you gave the meat-apes space magic?!"

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Archonex posted:

I thought that was just his arm sticking out of the cosmic jizz bath or whatever that turned him into the consciousness of the Leviathan. The part sticking out of it looks more like a hand than a full body.

I was under the impression that it's been implied he's basically melted his body and become a part of a ship at this point if the trailer and some lore is anything to go by.

Edit: Seriously though, Calus is one nasty dude. One of the lore blurbs talks about him lounging in the pools of the genetic material that makes up his clones. Dude probably reeks like the most unwashed goon when he isn't followed by the smell of copious amounts of space wine.

Pictured: Calus’s arm (and his other arm, his shoulders, his legs, his head, his body, and his rear end)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

to be fair whatever bullshit he's wearing on his head kinda sorta looks like a pudgy hand with stubby fingers but that doesn't really say anything about his cape or shoulders or arm or etc

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Calus has always looked like Calus

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/dillardslk/status/1625887562328842240?s=46&t=7Jfz_zm8UnWanL4ivaBlmQ

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lib and let die posted:

Humans. Apparently the only sentient race in the universe that doesn't get physically larger the more powerful they get.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Just upgrade to a PS5, what a massive difference in quality running Destiny over the PS4. If anyone else was on the fence, now that PS5 is easier to find, I highly recommend pulling the trigger. Everything loads so fast and the framerates are fantastic. I actually kind of miss the visual feel of playing on PS4, I don't know how to describe it, it felt a little grainier, more cinematic, but everything else is such an improvement I couldn't imagine going back.

I usually like to max storage on consoles and was thinking of getting an SSD to plug into the NVME slot, but I read in the docs that games won't run as fast compared to the inbuilt hybrid drive; is that really true? Can any of you PS5 goons comment on how games run from an additional SSD?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Running off my SSD just fine

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

haveblue posted:

DSC has been out for almost two years, everyone’s played it to death so getting craftable guns by the most efficient means possible is all that’s left

It's me the one who hasn't seen beyond the first boss in DSC. Or VoG. Or GoS. Or VoD. Or Last Wish.

I need to just really sit down and find a time to go through these and maybe not be afraid to use LFG or to hit up goons or something!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Listerine posted:

Just upgrade to a PS5, what a massive difference in quality running Destiny over the PS4. If anyone else was on the fence, now that PS5 is easier to find, I highly recommend pulling the trigger. Everything loads so fast and the framerates are fantastic. I actually kind of miss the visual feel of playing on PS4, I don't know how to describe it, it felt a little grainier, more cinematic, but everything else is such an improvement I couldn't imagine going back.

I usually like to max storage on consoles and was thinking of getting an SSD to plug into the NVME slot, but I read in the docs that games won't run as fast compared to the inbuilt hybrid drive; is that really true? Can any of you PS5 goons comment on how Do games run from an additional SSD?

Remember to max out your FOV and turn on 120hz in crucible if you TV supports it!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

FlapYoJacks posted:

Remember to max out your FOV and turn on 120hz in crucible if you TV supports it!

First thing I did and it was fantastic! Didn't make me any better at the game but it's a lot clearer now how others are killing me.

I also somehow missed out on the Full Auto setting in the actual settings menu, I've been using the auto retrofit mod up until this past week.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sort of a weird plot beat that Rasputin was only hostile because he was programmed to speak Russian

And teaching him American English made him civil and kind?

Lmao Ukrainian nationalist moment

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

TopHatGenius posted:

It's me the one who hasn't seen beyond the first boss in DSC. Or VoG. Or GoS. Or VoD. Or Last Wish.

I need to just really sit down and find a time to go through these and maybe not be afraid to use LFG or to hit up goons or something!

Hop on the overchill discord and join one of our raids. We're not hardcore farmers. Some people do the farming thing but it's not common.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Lmao Ukrainian nationalist moment

You know I've never once ever seen that Ukraine player emblem they gave everyone used, anywhere.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't forget that higher FoV apparently moves the reticle away from the point of impact for some guns (Crimson!) and has a weird influence on sniper rifle ADS behavior...

All else equal, higher FoV is good, but it does some weird stuff in a few cases

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I have an incredibly stupid, old question that's been bothering me for a while:

What actually was the Taken Meatball?

I know it said "Taken Servitor" but why was it all fleshy?

Also I could have sworn that a voiceover said the Meatball was Riven? I don't think I ever replayed the Forsaken campaign, so I don't recall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The first meatball you ever see, the end boss of the Forsaken campaign, was named “Voice of Riven”

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

TopHatGenius posted:

Youtube exists my dude

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
It’s actually racist against Italians to call it a meatball

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Protein orb

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

DancingShade posted:

You know I've never once ever seen that Ukraine player emblem they gave everyone used, anywhere.

I see it on cringe losers in PvP sometimes (based communists play PvE)

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't forget that higher FoV apparently moves the reticle away from the point of impact for some guns (Crimson!) and has a weird influence on sniper rifle ADS behavior...

All else equal, higher FoV is good, but it does some weird stuff in a few cases

Lol i learned this like three years into playing destiny on pc and when i was already burnt out on crucible. Sometimes this game..

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Failson posted:

Also I could have sworn that a voiceover said the Meatball was Riven? I don't think I ever replayed the Forsaken campaign, so I don't recall.

Taken enemies are an inversion of their natural form, and Servitors are Machines That Provide Sustenance

So I guess a Taken Servitor would be a ... meaty alive thing that consumes food?

They're also notably not actually called 'Taken Servitor'. They're either named, or they just go by their species name which is apparently "Chimera" (suggesting they're made of multiple monster parts rather than sourced from one thing)

I don't think we have a good clean answer but it's worth noting that their initial appearances are related to Uldren, who was a real Eliksneeaboo. Specifically during the chapter of his life that the Deep was trying to commune with him, and Savathun was trying to blow him off course. It's no surprise that this is where taken servitors would start popping up.

Variks knew that Prime Servitors created ether, so he wondered if dark ether came from a hypothetical 'Taken Prime Servitor'. He asked Fikrul if he (Fikrul) had betrayed Kaliks Prime to the Taken. Fikrul said he didn't need to, because the scorn don't rely on servitors for dark ether.

Dark ether came into existence when Riven granted Uldren's wish to revive the Eliksni Archon Fikrul, and Riven combined the Darkness in Uldren with the Ether in Fikrul to make Dark Ether which anybody and everybody can use these days to rez dead fallen as Scorn

No coincidence that the first 'Chimera' we see is a Riven creation as well (Voice of Riven), which 'Riven' (Savathun) used to manipulate Uldren and get him kicked out of Disciple Training. Xivu Arath also had a Chimera of her own (the final boss of Forsaken's Broken Courier plot), but it's unknown if she created it, or if it was a gift from Savathun.

The only other 'real' Chimera is a Blind Well boss. The Chimeras in Gambit and Reckoning are not real and were made by The Haul

Something noteworthy - Archons and Prime Servitors had a symbiotic relationship. The 'taken' version of a duo would be a Single Creature. Plus, it not only provides the fleshy bits (the archon), but also plays into the Chimera name. In general it's also not possible to 'Take' machines (Vex are living organic matter, remember) but equipment such as a gun or shield can be 'taken' along with its wielder. Best guess is that any Chimera is a taken Archon & Prime Servitor duo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

It was a reused asset.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Listerine posted:

PS5s also don't sound like a wind tunnel when you're looking at clouds of particle effects.

DancingShade posted:

I've seen it a few times. One time there were a couple of members of a group who were devs for some software company who were using it.

Smoove
Aug 13, 2012

...and goes down easy
Any Steam/Destiny gurus that may know a workaround for this. (when you uninstall on steam with cross play it takes it off console too it seems?)
Trying to find what is going on with online fixes and just had to download again on Xbox.

For whatever reason uninstalling both Steam and D2 it keeps pausing the update. Nothing I’ve found online has worked short of going into BIOS settings and playing with those.

Interestingly enough, other stuff on steam loads fine like AimBot though it likes to freeze up too, maybe time to put the rig down and replace it? I’m just massively confused on how it was running so good but now it’s trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like general computer issues which narrows it down to the Pacific Ocean for potential causes.

Idk clean your fans, clean install everything and go from there. Thump with fist until magic box behaves.