Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There's a manner of ways to make it work now, ans there's also just adjusting gear strength also as a future option. Also the potential of catch up mechanics if you go w a season approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
A few things I'd like to see, based on my play so far:

The ability to ping items/players to communicate with teammates without having to use a mic.

An increased emphasis on "diving deeper" - would love if the areas (esp. the goblin caves) were initially quite a bit easier, but split across like 4 floors or something, and each floor gives plenty of ways to get down to the next one (but only a couple exits on each floor), so you're constantly weighing how far you want to push your luck... or missing your extraction and having to dive deeper and risk dying in order to get out.

More/more interesting NPC boss fights.

I honestly think the mechanics of cleric spells could use a rework, I'm playing a cleric and it's just not... the feel isn't quite right, I think? Don't know what it needs, but... something.

Would also love some way to adjust the angles of your swing by like pulling the mouse as you hold it. Not sure if that would have all that much impact, just seems like it would feel good. Would at least be nice if you have one of those weapons that's nearly impossible to swing without hitting the wall to have a bit more control, even if you end up still hitting the wall it would feel more like "your fault"

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

search engine posted:

This is one of those games that is a lot of fun to just gently caress around in for a while, and gets drastically painfully less fun if you take it seriously and start caring about compositions and finnicky gearing bullshit because there's a gallon of tedium and an ounce of depth in those systems. It really captures everything that was good and bad about Tarkov
Well said. To add to this, for me, coming from games like Mount & Blade and Chivalry, the combat feels clunky and slow. I truly hope they make it both faster and more complex.

Right now, the game's fun relies almost entirely on the adrenaline rush, tactics, and teamwork. I don't play solo, I just don't find it all that interesting.

Dystopia Barbarian fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 14, 2023

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Once I started crouch spamming everyone in the goblin caves I began surviving a lot more. The only ones you really have to look out for are Rogues. Regular enemies aren't much of a threat once you learn the map, it's other players that are trouble.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Anyone playing as rogue is either a complete wuss or murderous rear end in a top hat there are only two people that play the class w on demand invisibility.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not the quality of the starter axe that makes it bad - it's the animation/speed. I'd take a felling axe with nerfed damage as a replacement starter weapon just because it feels so much better to swing.

The right click swing is way less terrible.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I started out the first few hours as a rogue and had fun doing rat poo poo but they're definitely the weakest class right now(imo). They need lockpick and silent crouch movement built-in without having to waste perk/skills on them.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

A few things I'd like to see, based on my play so far:

The ability to ping items/players to communicate with teammates without having to use a mic.

An increased emphasis on "diving deeper" - would love if the areas (esp. the goblin caves) were initially quite a bit easier, but split across like 4 floors or something, and each floor gives plenty of ways to get down to the next one (but only a couple exits on each floor), so you're constantly weighing how far you want to push your luck... or missing your extraction and having to dive deeper and risk dying in order to get out.

More/more interesting NPC boss fights.

I honestly think the mechanics of cleric spells could use a rework, I'm playing a cleric and it's just not... the feel isn't quite right, I think? Don't know what it needs, but... something.

Would also love some way to adjust the angles of your swing by like pulling the mouse as you hold it. Not sure if that would have all that much impact, just seems like it would feel good. Would at least be nice if you have one of those weapons that's nearly impossible to swing without hitting the wall to have a bit more control, even if you end up still hitting the wall it would feel more like "your fault"

Yea I agree with all of this. I think the emphasis on diving deeper will eventually be a thing. I know they want like 5 floors and I wouldn't be surprised if there is eventually some kind of zero-to-hero mode/achievement/leaderboard. Start at the bottom and make it to the end type of thing. Not only pinging gear but making it just easier to loot and manage would be nice. I don't think they are planning on adding directional weapon attacks and instead making each weapon have a slightly different mode of swinging, which I don't mind. We already have several different kinds of swords and each one has a different attack pattern. Dual wielding just adds to that. With daggers for example, you've got that one off hand version that adds a slash attack which goes right over the shield block.

And the cleric magic system is one of my biggest gripes with the game. Just make maces have the ability to cast spells. Having to switch to a staff or whatever just to cast a spell is dumb. Clerics aren't really meant to be a mid-combat casting class I guess, apart from a little bit of healing. Makes me wonder what the Paladin will be like when they add it.

ChaseSP posted:

Anyone playing as rogue is either a complete wuss or murderous rear end in a top hat there are only two people that play the class w on demand invisibility.

And it just got a slight buff. It lasts 60 seconds now, compared to the previous 50. The perks where you can start moving slightly with it are awesome.

Rogues are in that weird spot where they can either get completely demolished by a couple hits or take out an entire squad by using the right tactics. Hit and run is still so good, where you can just hit a few times, activate some bleeds and run, because you out run basically everyone. A smart cleric will judgement you, a wizard slow, rangers can hit you while you run and lay traps for you to come back, but if you get them in the middle of a fight, you can demolish them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Being friendly with everyone runs into its limits eventually-if not enough people die to pve, you wind up with way too many people for the limited amount of exits that spawn.

And then either you have to start killing people directly, or awkwardly stand around looking at each other until a portal spawns and then you try to take it first, thus killing the other guy indirectly.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
If you are just starting the game and are having difficulty with it I would highly suggest starting with Fighter + the any weapon perk or Ranger. The goal with the former being to try and find a bow, and the latter to try and find a sword or rapier.

Both classes can self-heal for some sustain, can do both ranged and melee, and can benefit from cheap vendor armor for a significant buff in survivability once you successfully extract. At that point you can start buying a grey arming sword for your Ranger or a grey bow for your Fighter and going into the caves with both, which is all you need to safely clear goblins and improve your survivability a ton.

eta: /\ and year you should probably just kill people on sight, especially if you have the upper hand. There's only three extract portals for 11 people.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if a lot of people die early it's fine to be friendly. or in forgotten castle if you're fine with red portals. but otherwise it frequently just means you and the other guy are competing for the last portal, so you might as well have just directly murdered them if it seemed like you could.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ll be friendly but if you bandage or pot in front of me, you’re done.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
There's also the guaranteed exit in the goblin caves but I don't know how it works despite taking it a couple times lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Given the nature of the game and it being a limited test, I don't bother being friendly and assume everyone else is the same. Just murder everyone. Once it comes out and the community stabilizes it might be safer to assume someone isn't completely out for blood but even that's not very likely to happen. Sea of Thieves has people going hardcore PvP and you can actually avoid people in that one.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was watching a stream of a guy running goblin caves with a full set of the red armor you have to mine and craft, dude was a walking tank. he was friendly with lowbies and was RPing with them, pretty funny

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
My group was friendly exactly only once, and it was because a solo naked dude came emoting at us and dropped a bunch of treasures for us. Then he just followed us around while emoting.

When we finally got in a fight with another team, the naked guy pranced around for a little bit in the middle of the fight, and then took a blue portal out of there lol.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Orlanthi was running HR and taxing people to loot his treasure hoard, then a viewer suggest he kill everyone in the room. He said he'd do it for a $100 donation, and someone donated.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AggressiveCredulousWrenchMoreCowbell-ZPJruWJqu_bD2oj7

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Man this game really scratches something. I've played a ton of battle royale games and I'm not very good at them; most of them just make me feel lovely about being bad. This game I can be as lovely as a I want and it's still fun.

I have mixed feelings about goblin caves. It's so claustrophobic. You pretty much need to kill 2-4 enemies as soon as you spawn to make any progress and then you're immediately on top of another player. I want to say it's made me better at the game, but that's not really true. It has it's own unique logic because you're trying to train enemies around the map or avoid getting destroyed by goblin poison which doesn't really translate into the team mode all that well. I've definitely picked up a few things about 1v1 from caves I suppose.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So far, no new Discord, so I can't update the 2nd post. If anyone wants to create a 2nd, more permanent one, just post and i'll update.

But tonight is the last night of the cycle, assuming no last minute extensions (which i've NEVER seen them do). If anyone wants to play, post your names, burn your poo poo, it disappears in about 12hrs.

in fact, if you want to play with me, i'd be down to play, gear or no gear. Just wanna see where this beta cycle ended up before the next one begins.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's not a new discord that's needed, server owner just needs to click 'invite people' 'edit invite' and set it to

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i just like playing rogue or ranger and existing on my team. If i get a good cleric or barb like your good you can gently caress around so hard and just appear at the wrong right time to help

do i take all those ranger perks that facilitate being an actual sniper? hell yeah i do. do i also shoot most people or things from like 6 feet away? you're goddamn right

i mean yeah i am trying NOT to die but most of the time im playing this game for that first AHHH gently caress ENEMY TEAM feeling you get every game its so pure and good.

and the game is like 15 mins long who gives a gently caress

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
PartialOctopus: https://discord.gg/jq8X52ZQ

Can you update this server based on this:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's not a new discord that's needed, server owner just needs to click 'invite people' 'edit invite' and set it to

And maybe add some mods and stuff? It's super early, since this beta cycle is about to end. But best to start thinking about it.

poo poo, I even gotta update the OP a bunch before next wave.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
At this point, it being the last day, I just want people to be able to find each other to burn the poo poo they saved up before it's all gone.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Akumos posted:

Just so you guys know +additional magic damage works on melee/ranged attacks, no idea if it even works on magic, pretty sure it's just a flat damage modifier.
I don't know what all it works on but I know for sure it works on rogue's poison weapon DoT:
https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableTrustworthyPlumageHassanChop-AlhJfmdFLdUGUaVg

e: also poison weapon works with fists so you can do this
https://clips.twitch.tv/ResoluteAliveYogurtTBTacoRight-qLsPGrQRdj9CO-TC

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 16, 2023

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Had a 6 game streak going when the servers finally went down, me and a buddy were just clearing entire lobbies with the insane gearset I bought with all my leftover gold. Falchion plus the dual wield perk and an offhand weapon makes for really easy fights. We pretty much stopped looting and just started sprinting for other players to mow down by the last few games. This is definitely one of my favorite games ever, can't wait for the next playtest.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Beating people to death with fists to finish them off is super effective in the current form of the game. It only takes 2-3 punches if they're at half or below health, and is so satisfying and funny.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
didn't get into this game until this playtest (and still missed the first 2 days of it), and had a really fun time. excited to see where everything goes in the next few months of development

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, lots of potential for sure, even if it ends up as something to pick up and play with friends a few months every year.

I'd like to see a small solo or group pve instance, with nothing but the lowest tier loot, and maybe blocked at character level 15 or 20, for players who need help getting used to the mechanics and seeing how each of their class's weapons performs and to build up a small collection of basic gear/money/levels before diving into pvp mode.

A shared stash for money at least would also be nice, and a couple more zones/levels. There's lots they can do with modifiers and environments and enemy types and such to keep things interesting.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Wow, they apparently had over 2 million players this playtest. That's loving insane consider a playtest in October was like, 1,000 players. Things just keep escalating.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That's really impressive. Hopefully cheating doesn't become too much of an issue with this game with people zipping around crazy fast or modding weapons to be one hit kills.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

They are already aggressively updating their anti cheat measures in a way Tarkov never has, and the game code is a lot simpler to boot, so I'm less pessimistic about this game in that regard.

I got cheated on once this entire playtest, and never after the update midtest.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Yea, I'm far less worried about cheating than I am about secondary markets and pay2win, considering the legendary gear has double the armor rating and 6 different stat bonuses.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
I guess if they're bad at the game it's free loot though, so it's not all bad.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I had the most run-ins with hackers last playtest but this time it's been pretty uneventful

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

I guess if they're bad at the game it's free loot though, so it's not all bad.

3-stack of Rangers makes even the most juiced out fighter or barb just evaporate.

Possibly the most cancerous strategy possible: Pitch dark room, 10+ traps and some invis pots. One guy opens the door and shoots the other team, closes the door and lays the very loud and obvious doorway trap. Other team stacks up, buffs, and blows in the door, disarms the trap, and rushes in.

As soon as someone hits a trap, the two invisible rangers quickshot him in the head, more or less instantly murderizing him. 50/50 on the team falling back or pushing in. If they push in, 90% of the time they hit a 2nd trap. Close in and multishot him dead.

If you get unlucky or gently caress it up, you're gonna die horribly, but it's a strat that costs maybe 40 gold per attempt.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
That's a hilarious strategy I will definitely try next test

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

That's a hilarious strategy I will definitely try next test

This does rely on them not being smart enough to throw torches into the room, but if there are dead skeletons/monsters you can often times place a trap underneath the corpse, which is a big-brain jerk-rear end move that works way more often than you'd think. Same with putting traps on stairs. For some reason they're really hard to see?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Placing traps under bodies is some war crimes poo poo

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I went to the subreddit and it's like the Elden Ring one was between the release of the reveal trailer and the gameplay trailer. And I can understand em both.

Was talking to my buddy about how awesome a version of this game that was just Diablo 2 would be.