Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Got one of my people promoted this review cycle. :3:

First time promoting someone as a manager (had planned to promote a junior employee in 2021 but they ended up leaving before review time) and the theatrics around it sure is something, especially for the level this employee is at (more senior). Sucks that I can't share with the employee until end of the month though I've been talking about new scope and direction for their work, so hopefully they're putting 2+2 together. They put in the work and I can't wait to see the reaction in a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Got another 1.5% on top of the historical max raise in this last annual cycle. Nothing huge compared to inflation, but I’m in a good spot and appreciate the sentiment.

My manager is pulling back the curtain on some things as I look to move into a manager role. So, while I had a good year, the real reason I got above a max raise was my manager getting a teammate promoted up to another team and backfilling with an entry level role. They used the salary differential to increase my team’s merit pool for the year.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Democratic Pirate posted:

Got another 1.5% on top of the historical max raise in this last annual cycle. Nothing huge compared to inflation, but I’m in a good spot and appreciate the sentiment.

My manager is pulling back the curtain on some things as I look to move into a manager role. So, while I had a good year, the real reason I got above a max raise was my manager getting a teammate promoted up to another team and backfilling with an entry level role. They used the salary differential to increase my team’s merit pool for the year.
The reason you got the raise is because your manager thought you’d leave if you didn’t get it. And they were able to sell that upward.

All this bullshit about pools and previous salaries is arbitrary garbage they just spout because some portion of people believe it. Which allows them to pay people less than they’re worth. Don’t buy it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was pleasantly surprised we got above our bonus target (117%), and I got a 2.5% raise and more RSUs. Company is in a pretty good spot overall and hiring is set to really ramp up in April, the director of engineering for our division said he wants to increase by +%50 at least.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Still waiting on my manager to figure out how to use Workday and give me my comp statement before I see it in my paycheck. I have to show him in-person how to use Workday each year. :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We had a civilized year where about 20% of total staff in my division got promoted. I got a 10.7% raise, promotion, 26% increase in bonus target. There is a lot of bullshit regarding working in consulting but the career and pay progression is nice.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Corpo is trying to put blanket 4% out for everyone this year. We’re a consulting company, in a fiercely competitive industry, you can’t just do that.

They better hope when I interview to get more money that I don’t like what the other guys are offering.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I got a 30% raise on one job, but that was by playing the free agent game and coming in with a job offer for them to match. I was honestly surprised, I knew I was being underpaid for my position but I didn't expect them to know/admit it too.

I'm waiting until I have the offer in writing before I break the news to the recruiter though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dik Hz posted:

All this bullshit about pools and previous salaries is arbitrary garbage they just spout because some portion of people believe it. Which allows them to pay people less than they’re worth. Don’t buy it.

You think the average line manager has way more ability to increase salary than they actually do.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Phone interview today came with surprise salary discussion and lmbo if I stay where I’m at they’re in for it come the yearly salary talk (if they loving decide to do it properly).

15% higher than my current, and while I don’t think I’m getting this role, I’m feeling a way with how “oh yeah [number] totally works” chill the HR person was.

I’ve only had yearly bonuses which mysteriously stopped when the local finance manager here left the company and all financial related matters for the org went to SE Asia. In fact a lot of the odd little perks vanished around that time, except WFH and that’s because I fought for it locally while my actual direct manager is totally fine with it, and has been since the start.

Anyway, I’m going to ease off the job hunt slightly to reallocate time to finally learn JavaScript beyond when the term JSON appears because that’s when I suddenly feel like I have no idea what the gently caress I’m doing aaa aaaa. I’ve known HTML/CSS since I was in middle school yet somehow JavaScript loving eludes me.

Either that or rebuild my design portfolio back up which will be more emotionally taxing than anything. At almost 32 I feel like I’m the kid left back five grades.

E:

Lockback posted:

You think the average line manager has way more ability to increase salary than they actually do.

While this is prior to this post, yeah. My direct super is head of Ops but I have a feeling there’s still a lot less of a say from their end regardless.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I haven’t had a job interview since I had a baby…mentioning that I have a kid in the interview is a no-no, right? I’m just scared that they will ask what my hobbies are. My hobbies are keeping my toddler alive and happy lol.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's not a good question to ask in an interview. Consider it a bullet to dodge.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
They can't ask about any protected class/family. However, you can tell them anything you want.

Do not mention it though. It will hurt you in ways you can't imagine.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TheSpartacus posted:

They can't ask about any protected class/family. However, you can tell them anything you want.

Do not mention it though. It will hurt you in ways you can't imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkN4duV4ia0
But like for like, protected classes.

E: cmon YouTube grow up

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

remigious posted:

I haven’t had a job interview since I had a baby…mentioning that I have a kid in the interview is a no-no, right? I’m just scared that they will ask what my hobbies are. My hobbies are keeping my toddler alive and happy lol.

Just make some poo poo up. I like to read, play board games with friends, whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Just make some poo poo up. I like to read, play board games with friends, whatever.

say the poo poo you did before you had a kid

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

skipdogg posted:

I do, in fact, like to read and play board games with friends :)
Thanks for the tips, all.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
A few months ago I was lamenting the number of direct reports and insane hiring expectations of my manager.

Since then, I did manage to hire up to full headcount by January, with a few more turnovers I hired 12 BDRs. I tell ya, when you're hiring out of low-cost markets you get some utterly poo poo candidates. In the end I think I conducted close to 40 interviews from mid-October to the first week of January.

Some highlights from my video interview escapades:
One candidate no-showed twice.
One candidate joined the call with his shirt open and (magnificently) hairy chest on full display while smoking.
One candidate was drinking beer.
One candidate was walking through town and insisted on having his camera on the whole time.
One candidate immediately started grilling me on the available salary range and benefits and then began to argue when I referred him back to the recruiter.
One candidate stated that he only wanted to get the job so I would promote him as soon as possible.

I don't want to conduct another interview for a while now, I'm done...

At least there was another manager brought on to take over one of the teams, so I "only" have 12 direct reports now, but in a move that left me looking to leave, that manager was given the team and product I knew best, leaving me to essentially "restart" my reputation with another business unit with the client.

All's well that ends well though, as I resigned last week with a new role in senior IT leadership for an organisation doing things I'm genuinely passionate about. Now I just have to survive the last 7 weeks of my notice without going mad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hiring 12 out of 40 interviews seems like a pretty acceptable hit rate

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

remigious posted:

Look them dead in the eye and say "posting on the internet on something awful dot com".

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
JFC 7-week notice?

I’m all for not burning bridges but man…

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

dpkg chopra posted:

JFC 7-week notice?

I'm on three months per my contract lol.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

dpkg chopra posted:

JFC 7-week notice?

8, but yeah. Long notice periods are common in Europe.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lockback posted:

Nope. I assure you I don’t.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Baggins posted:

8, but yeah. Long notice periods are common in Europe.

90 days in India, it's a huge pain. Often you land a candidate, they give notice and then and they interview and get a better offer in the meantime! Which would be fine but usually they don't come back to ask if they can get an offer matched.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think it'd be great if our manager hired more people. We're three people short in a 25 person department and it seems like OT will be mandatory starting next week.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

remigious posted:

I do, in fact, like to read and play board games with friends :)
Thanks for the tips, all.

The Cat in the Hat is a book, and Candyland is a board game, and I assume you're friendly with your child, just saying.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

priznat posted:

90 days in India, it's a huge pain. Often you land a candidate, they give notice and then and they interview and get a better offer in the meantime! Which would be fine but usually they don't come back to ask if they can get an offer matched.

Sounds like a pretty good deal, the next manager gets to hire someone quicker than 90 days and the candidate gets better pay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TheSpartacus posted:

Sounds like a pretty good deal, the next manager gets to hire someone quicker than 90 days and the candidate gets better pay.

Yah it all depends on where you are in the line on the hiring side!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

priznat posted:

This. I've found you have to keep your candidates/offerees engaged while they are working out their notice period. Otherwise they drop off the radar and disappear.

Also remember you are their fallback job. They won't quit without another job offer lined up. You gave them that. You are now that fallback. They are worth more and more as they work out their notice period as they can start sooner. So your offer better be a strong one that takes this into account or you're just doing a bunch of indian tech workers a public service and wasting your own time.

Also don't bother hiring them unless you can swing a 10% YoY raise (at least in tech). And don't be surprised if that only keeps them on for 3 years unless you're able to offer them a work visa to a country they want to be in along with a good salary in that country.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Love that every IT interaction in this company starts with them forcing a Group Policy update on my computer which takes 5-10 minutes before they can do anything else

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
You will be shocked to hear that the policy update did not fix the problem.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

dpkg chopra posted:

You will be shocked to hear that the policy update did not fix the problem.

I’m having violent flashbacks of a previous workplace

and then the computers interfaced poorly with POS terminals

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Baggins posted:

One candidate was drinking beer.

Come on, you're supposed to hide your interview beer in a coffee mug or something else where you can't see what it is

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dxt posted:

Come on, you're supposed to hide your interview beer in a coffee mug or something else where you can't see what it is

nah dude was testing the waters and i kind of respect it

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
What is the best plan of action to take when you see others who do half the work you do get a promoted title and a bit more income while they stiff you. I am trying to leave ASAP, but in the mean time, I feel like there needs to be a way to communicate just how loving ridiculous the workload disparities between groups at my company. I literally have to do way more work than others yet I am stagnate in growth and seeing others promoted in other groups. It is so frustrating, I need to tell management somehow without coming across poorly.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

T Bowl posted:

What is the best plan of action to take when you see others who do half the work you do get a promoted title and a bit more income while they stiff you. I am trying to leave ASAP, but in the mean time, I feel like there needs to be a way to communicate just how loving ridiculous the workload disparities between groups at my company. I literally have to do way more work than others yet I am stagnate in growth and seeing others promoted in other groups. It is so frustrating, I need to tell management somehow without coming across poorly.

What makes you think management does not already know?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Jenkl posted:

What makes you think management does not already know?

They probably do in some way, but seem oblivious overall to the imbalances being an issue. It's all complex in certain ways, as you'd imagine.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

T Bowl posted:

They probably do in some way, but seem oblivious overall to the imbalances being an issue. It's all complex in certain ways, as you'd imagine.
They’re not oblivious. They just think you’ll keep doing the work without getting paid any extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

T Bowl posted:

I think it's been stated a lot of times in this thread that promotions aren't based on who provides more value to the company, but based on what promotion will most improve the manager's life. That could be because they enjoy spending time with someone and are cool with having more meetings with that person, because they think that a specific promotion will help take work off the manager's plate, or want to promote someone un-threatening because they're insecure. If you're already doing a huge amount of low-level work, a promotion would make the manager's life worse because now they need to backfill your previous role with 2 new grunts, and then they'll have to worry about you gunning for their job.

So, yeah, your only option is to get a new job and then do far less work at it / focus more on being friendly than productive.